StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By StarFoxA

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/DougBuffone/

This user somehow got nearly 5000 points on the Chrono Trigger page, and there are no visible changes made (trust me, I watch that page like a hawk. I know several users can attest to that). There are no new images uploaded, nothing. How is this possible? And also, according to the front page, this user got 12,000 points yesterday. Something is suspicious to me (I'm not accusing this user of anything, just saying it seems odd).

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By KamasamaK

Did you ask him how this might have happened? If anyone were to know, it's most likely him.

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Giantkitty

As a random uninformed guess, it could be an account the mods/admin have for testing purposes

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Lies

The most likely thing he did was copy the text, delete the whole page, then save it blank, then edit it and paste the article back in for points. It's a major exploit that earns a ton of points.

On second thought, I probably should not have posted it. Now it's just going to get abused more :|

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Gunner
Lies said:
"The most likely thing he did was copy the text, delete the whole page, then save it blank, then edit it and paste the article back in for points. It's a major exploit that earns a ton of points.

On second thought, I probably should not have posted it. Now it's just going to get abused more :|"
Fantastic idea lies...
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KamasamaK

I'm not sure how the site deals with edits, but there are a few reasons I can think of for why this might have happened legitimately. One is that he made some enormous changes while someone else had their editbox opened, which would essentially revert his edits when the other person saved (assuming the person had over 1000 points). Alternatively, a person's edits could have been queued for moderation and approved after his edit, also essentially reverting his edits; this actually happened with one of my brother's edits of an article so I'm pretty sure this is possible. Either of these being possible shows a huge flaw in the system, the former having a fairly good solution already with wikis.

Joseppie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Joseppie
StarFoxA said:
"http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/DougBuffone/

This user somehow got nearly 5000 points on the Chrono Trigger page, and there are no visible changes made (trust me, I watch that page like a hawk. I know several users can attest to that). There are no new images uploaded, nothing. How is this possible? And also, according to the front page, this user got 12,000 points yesterday. Something is suspicious to me (I'm not accusing this user of anything, just saying it seems odd)."
I've brought the issue to the staff's attention, they'll see what's up and deal with it accordingly.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By kush
Lies said:
"The most likely thing he did was copy the text, delete the whole page, then save it blank, then edit it and paste the article back in for points. It's a major exploit that earns a ton of points.

On second thought, I probably should not have posted it. Now it's just going to get abused more :|"
Don't worry...I think anyone who is planning to exploit the system already knows how to exploit the system. Also, if you tell them how and they do it, then you'll just be letting them show that they are cheaters and they can get their accounts locked!
thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By thebeast
Yes, it is possible to exploit the system - not only is this against the whole spirit of the site but we do enforce a heavy "1-strike and you're out" rule against anyone doing so.
We can trace it back to you and you will be banned for it.

Thanks for being ever-vigilant and bringing this to our attention! If you ever notice other discrepancies with users' point counts, please let us know.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StarFoxA
Kamasama said:
"Did you ask him how this might have happened? If anyone were to know, it's most likely him."
I asked him, and he said he added images and changed the grammar around (neither of which I noticed, but I'm sure he could have done it). He also said he's not sure why he got so many points.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By brukaoru
TheBeast said:
"Yes, it is possible to exploit the system - not only is this against the whole spirit of the site but we do enforce a heavy "1-strike and you're out" rule against anyone doing so.
We can trace it back to you and you will be banned for it."
Excellent, glad to hear that. Really lame that people would exploit the system like that just to get a certain number.