#1 Edited by Sinnott147 (36 posts) -

Hi, was wondering what platform I should put games from the windows 8 store? (when creating a new release)

Should I put it in Xbox Live marketplace or request another Platform to be added?

Cheers.

#2 Posted by bobafettjm (1387 posts) -

I would say probably just the PC platform.

#3 Edited by bigjeffrey (4711 posts) -

PC

#4 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

The garbage bin.

#5 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -

It's PC, except for Windows RT which doesn't count as anything.

#6 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

PC. It's a PC game. The Windows 8 store is just a store, not a platform. It's like Steam.

#7 Edited by Snail (8574 posts) -
@mattyftm said:

PC. It's a PC game. The Windows 8 store is just a store, not a platform. It's like Steam.

Not necessarily. You can't play Windows 8-exclusive games, like Skulls of the Shogun, on any other version of Windows. "Windows 8 games" are exclusive to Windows 8, so it's more than just a storefront, it's sort of a platform onto itself.

#8 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

@snail said:
@mattyftm said:

Not necessarily. You can't play Windows 8-exclusive games, like Skulls of the Shogun, on any other version of Windows. "Windows 8 games" are exclusive to Windows 8, so it's more than just a storefront, it's sort of a platform onto itself.

Halo 2 was exclusive to Windows Vista. That doesn't mean we need a Windows Vista platform. No modern game will run on Windows 95. And a hell of a lot of games from the Windows 95 era are a bitch to get running on a modern system. OS fragmentation is an issue on the PC platform, but they're still just different operating systems, not different platforms.

#9 Posted by tourgen (4426 posts) -
#10 Posted by Snail (8574 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

@snail said:
@mattyftm said:

Halo 2 was exclusive to Windows Vista. That doesn't mean we need a Windows Vista platform. No modern game will run on Windows 95. And a hell of a lot of games from the Windows 95 era are a bitch to get running on a modern system. OS fragmentation is an issue on the PC platform, but they're still just different operating systems, not different platforms.

It's more than OS fragmentation though, because while you could acquire Halo 2 at several different retailers, games like Skulls of the Shogun are exclusive to the Windows 8 store (on PCs, because there's the 360 and Windows Phone versions).

I'm not arguing that it should have a platform page. I also don't think you're looking at this from the right angle though. Windows 8 is almost like iOS in that it has a pre-installed "app store" where you can buy games that only run in that same OS, and can only be obtained in that app store.

Newsflash: Microsoft's shift to tablet-optimized software draws a lot of grey areas.

#11 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

@tourgen said:

@ravenlight said:

The garbage bin.

but isn't that where all of Dave Lang's photos are?

#12 Edited by bobafettjm (1387 posts) -

I suppose something like a Windows 8 exclusive concept could be made? There seems to be more and more confusing issues involved with the wiki as a lot of stuff seems to cross lines and change the way they work.

#13 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

The garbage bin.

It's a Recycle Bin now. Get with the times.

#14 Edited by Snail (8574 posts) -

I suppose something like a Windows 8 exclusive concept could be made? There seems to be more and more confusing issues involved with the wiki as a lot of stuff seems to cross lines and change the way they work.

At least this. There's an argument to be made for games that run on Windows RT to perhaps have a platform of their own, but at the least I think there should be a concept page for Windows Store exclusive-games that actually run on Windows RT.

Given apparently how we're not really adding virtual marketplaces as platforms to the wiki anymore these days it may not make complete sense to have a platform for Windows Store PC games. It's somewhat a different case though, so, again, there's probably a discussion to be had there.

#15 Posted by crankystorming (8 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

Why does this rule only apply to PC? For example, we currently list the digital store fronts for consoles as separate platforms, but it's still the same system that the games are being released on and they still function the same as a game you'd buy on disc. In the case of the Windows store, it actually seems more appropriate to list it as a separate platform because there is an actual difference in function between a PC game you can buy anywhere and a Windows RT game, many of which are designed with touchscreens in mind instead of traditional control set-ups. It is also worth noting that Windows RT is designed around a different CPU architecture that isn't compatible with regular Windows.

#16 Edited by BlackLagoon (1372 posts) -

@crankystorming: I expect the console digital stores were added because unlike on PC, there was originally very little overlap between downloadable and retail console games, and there were significantly different technical requirements and publishing processes.

EDIT: Whoa, a whole paragraph disappeared when I posted.

Basically I agreed that the current system isn't ideal, that there are several "sub-platforms" like WindowsRT, emulated console games, PlayStaion Mobile out there that behave differently than native games on the platform, and that more granularity in how the platform is presented would be beneficial. Reducing them to concepts buries the information on a sub-page, and doesn't help when browsing the site or searching.

#17 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

@crankystorming: The PC isn't unique. The Wii U, Xbox One and PS4 do not have separate platforms for digital releases. And the intention is for those digital platforms to be abolished completely, but it's not currently possible to merge platforms, so the older ones remain.

Plus, PC has always been different. There are hundreds of digital stores on PC, we can't have every one as a platform. You could argue the windows 8 store is the official store of the platform, like PSN and XBLM are for the PS3 and 360, but that's largely irrelevant since we're getting rid of those stores as platforms in the database.