What to do about Image gallery vandalism on the wiki?

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#1  Edited By vigorousjammer

Ever since the new site rolled around, it seems that people aren't able to delete images from image galleries on the Wiki.

On the old site, I would occasionally find images attached to the wrong game in an image gallery, either intentionally or unintentionally, and would remove them from that gallery. This functionally has now appeared to have disappeared, though. I realize that being able to delete pictures might also cause some Wiki Vandalism, but the alternative is images posted to a gallery that shouldn't be there.

One example:
Some Jet Set Radio screenshots & promotionalimages in the Jet Set Radio Future image gallery.

This is just one of many instances of incorrect images that I've seen in a gallery. There has to be some way to deal with this issue... Perhaps let anybody with over 5000 points or some other point value be able to delete images from a gallery?

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By DeF

@vigorousjammer: I agree, something clearly has to change as the mods can barely keep up with our user-requested stuff in a timely fashion and are busy regulating behind the scenes stuff and we regular wiki people have the time to spare but can't do anything. Same goes for alias changes or deleting releases.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I have run into multiple images that need deleting and wish that I could just take care of it right then and there.

Pachtar_Klepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ever since the new site rolled around, it seems that people aren't able to delete images from image galleries on the Wiki.

On the old site, I would occasionally find images attached to the wrong game in an image gallery, either intentionally or unintentionally, and would remove them from that gallery. This functionally has now appeared to have disappeared, though. I realize that being able to delete pictures might also cause some Wiki Vandalism, but the alternative is images posted to a gallery that shouldn't be there.

One example:

Some Jet Set Radio

screenshots

&

promotional

images

in

the Jet Set Radio Future image gallery

This is just one of many instances of incorrect images that I've seen in a gallery. There has to be some way to deal with this issue... Perhaps let anybody with over 5000 points or some other point value be able to delete images from a gallery?

Why isn't that screenshot a screenshot? Pretty sure it is.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I don't understand what is wrong with any of those images that were linked.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By MildMolasses

I have run into multiple images that need deleting and wish that I could just take care of it right then and there.

That's how I feel about spelling mistakes I find, but I lack the necessar... Jesus Christ you have a lot of wiki points! Shouldn't you be allowed to ban people by now?

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#7  Edited By vigorousjammer
@pachtar_klepek said:

@kidavenger said:

They're from Jet Grind Radio (a.k.a. Jet Set Radio) instead of Jet Set Radio Future.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any updates on if we will be able to delete images from pages again?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

Any updates on if we will be able to delete images from pages again?

I'd prefer it if it remains disallowed. People vandalized just as much by deleting valid images from the wiki.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bobafettjm

@hailinel: Maybe having a higher point threshold would be good then, but I feel like not having the ability to is just piling more on the mods that can be done by others.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@vigorousjammer said:

@pachtar_klepek said:

@kidavenger said:

They're from Jet Grind Radio (a.k.a. Jet Set Radio) instead of Jet Set Radio Future.

"Vandalism"

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@hailinel: Maybe having a higher point threshold would be good then, but I feel like not having the ability to is just piling more on the mods that can be done by others.

Exactly. I don't see why removing images and tags associated to them wouldn't be a feature that high-scoring users could have, especially when there seems to be a difference between "Perma deleting" and "Removing" an image.

From the Header Image request thread.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dagbiker

@snail said:

@bobafettjm said:

Exactly. I don't see why removing images and tags associated to them wouldn't be a feature that high-scoring users could have, especially when there seems to be a difference between "Perma deleting" and "Removing" an image.

Speaking from a programing level, you also dont know how those buttons work. (I assume this is the mods interface). If so they might have been told to never push one of the buttons.

One button might remove the link associated with the image to the database, essentially breaking the links on the site, allowing you to directly link, but only directly link. And the other might delete the image from the server. One button might not even work. They might both even do the same thing.

also even if they did have the function, they would have to create a new user level, which is not something you want to do lightly.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@dagbiker: Maybe so, but my point still stands. It's ridiculous that any user who isn't a mod would have to post in the Delete & Combine forum to have images removed. At the least give us a "Request IMAGE DELETIONS here" thread or something.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dagbiker

@snail said:

@dagbiker: Maybe so, but my point still stands. It's ridiculous that any user who isn't a mod would have to post in the Delete & Combine forum to have images removed. At the least give us a "Request IMAGE DELETIONS here" thread or something.

I agree, there should be a better way to do it. Perhaps even just using the same tag system used for the Background images? I havent played around with tags, are they global?