What to do with a game that is cancelled?

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

How is it normally handled when a game is cancelled? The game East Vs. West was unfortunately cancelled after a long and troubled development history. Should the page be marked for deletion or should I edit it? Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm new to wiki stuff.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

If there was actually a game at some point (and it wasn't just an idea somebody had), then include it. You verify through screenshots, videos, hands-on previews, demos, etc.

By the way, anybody mind if I create a page for Fallout: Van Buren? From what I can tell from the Fallout wiki, it actually existed at one point.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

Cancelled games should stay in the wiki - there's even a concept page (with a terrible default image) for them.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4 MattyFTM  Moderator

By the way, anybody mind if I create a page for Fallout: Van Buren? From what I can tell from the Fallout wiki, it actually existed at one point.

We already have a page for Van Buren. It was most definitely a game that existed. There's a playable tech demo of it floating around on the internet somewhere.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#5 Mento  Moderator

The original rule was that we'd only include pages for canceled games if their announced cancellation occurred after the site was founded. We've been a little relaxed with it since then, as far as I can tell.

While they're technically not or ever will be games, there's always lots of people searching the wiki for games they once heard about at E3/PAX or from some preview feature and want to track them down to see if they were ever released. It's useful to have those pages there so people can learn that those games were axed at some point.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

@mento: I discovered this having kicked around a movie wiki for awhile. You'd be surprised how many "cancelled" projects will suddenly come back with a different name but mostly the same info. So keep them around on the wiki could actually be easier, in the long run, for the moderators and wiki editors.

And it's cool to see what could have been.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Let me take the opportunity to ask this: Does anyone know if this rule still applies to canceled games?

• Canceled games should have no associated links (i.e. concepts, locations, objects, etc.) nor should they be attached to their respective franchise pages. Thus, canceled games' pages should exist on an island unto themselves for historical purposes only.

It appears on the concept page, and I assume @marino wrote it, but I almost never see canceled games given this treatment.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By jeff

@saturdaynightspecials: Yes, that rule still applies (with the possible exception of the "canceled games" concept page, of course).

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#9 Marino  Staff

Let me take the opportunity to ask this: Does anyone know if this rule still applies to canceled games?

• Canceled games should have no associated links (i.e. concepts, locations, objects, etc.) nor should they be attached to their respective franchise pages. Thus, canceled games' pages should exist on an island unto themselves for historical purposes only.

It appears on the concept page, and I assume @marino wrote it, but I almost never see canceled games given this treatment.

@mento said:

While they're technically not or ever will be games, there's always lots of people searching the wiki for games they once heard about at E3/PAX or from some preview feature and want to track them down to see if they were ever released. It's useful to have those pages there so people can learn that those games were axed at some point.

As Jeff stated, the rule should still apply. I would throw one caveat in there though that having them attached to E3/PAX pages can be useful as Mento has pointed out.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I dunno... what does God want with a spaceship?

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By noizy

@beachthunder said:

Cancelled games should stay in the wiki - there's even a concept page (with a terrible default image) for them.

I looked up the concept page, and noticed the First Appearance being Tattoo Assassins. I'm now laughing my ass off now about Jeff's comment from him that he'd rather be playing Tattoo Assassins than the original Killer Instinct. Thanks. :)

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@marino@jeffThanks, good to know.

Another question while I'm at it: should people be credited for canceled games, if we know their job title?

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

May I suggest that when someone clears the release date field and other relevant information from a canceled title, that they add the information back to the page as text? Because having a bunch of bare bones canceled titles floating around can get confusing pretty fast, especially for long lived platforms as the PC.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Should the concept for an engine or middleware be attached to a cancelled game if it was known to be used during development?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

also, OP, I edited the Magna Mundi page when it got cancelled.

I should probably add the silly World Stage stuff and how Ubik owns the Clausewitz Engine