The Second Annual Whiskey Media Summer Community Internship Interview process is complete! On April 4th, 2011 I tweeted a call for the summer. That tweet led to hundreds of PMs requesting interviews. The ones who got an interview had the right mix of community contributions and savvy. A couple even traveled here by airplane just to get a shot.
I do feel bad for these kids, I'm a task master. I'm old and grumpy and I'm a tough boss. I fired Matt Kessler 3 times last summer. I'm the scary guy in the interview process, the boogey man, the heavy. Taking notes from Dr. Phil, I break my interviewees down to trembling, tear soaked, second-guessing lab rats. I need to know they won't break under pressure. And this summer, the pressure is on as these guys enter the Whiskey Media pressure cooker.
Now. Here. In this blog. I give you. The official summer internship line up.
- UndeadPool (aka Corey) 4/20 - 6/24 is already half way through his internship. He's a game and comic book aficionado, and if you haven't already, go read his blog Internship: Month 1. Why'd I hire Corey? He knows Giant Bomb and Comic Vine, which makes him more valuable to me. He's congenial, punctual and dependable. We did right by bringing him on board; he get's shit done.
- GlenTennis (aka Ben) 5/20 - 7/20 Many of you have already heard Ben's voice on a TNT and a Happy Hour a month ago when we had him come in to try his hand as a live chat moderator. He'll be back this Friday to start his 2 months of hell... I mean internship. Why'd I hire Ben? Because he seemed like the gentlest dude you could ever meet in an interview, and I want to crush that spirit. He's also super involved in the community. And like Corey, he lives in San Francisco. Bonus points.
- MattBodega (aka Kessler) 5/30 - 8/20 Jeff asked for him back, dunno why.
- Lemon (aka Steve) 6/8 - 8/20 Last year Steve was a Whiskey Media community intern, and this year he's coming back specifically as a video production intern. In their previous internships, both Matt and Steve were tasked with producing behind-the-scenes weekly videos. We thought they did such good jobs on Kessler Kam and Lemon Lens, that I've asked them to come back. But this time, like some Tarantino meets Rodriguez film (that's not racist, I didn't imply who is who) they must co-produce their own weekly show, or they're fired. We're taking suggestions on the name for this new weekly series.
- Babylonian (aka Nick) 6/20 - 8/20 Nick's the guy who made these two hilarious Giant Bomb community videos, Never and Strap It On. When he said he'd fly out from Bible Country to interview with us, and he turned out to be relatively normal, I hired him on the spot.
- EpicSteve (aka Epic) 7/1 - 8/20 Steve was the best dresser out of all these interviewees (step it up fellas) and he also flew in from out of state just to get a shot at working behind-the-scenes at Whiskey Media. His eagerness to get involved in the business and his community presence here on our forums is what got him the last spot. He's a buttoned up military guys, so my job is to make this kid learn to smile, just a little.
- FullMetal216 (aka Perry) date TBD. Perry has been pm'ing me since last summer with links to reviews and blog posts he's written. He's got that All-American farm boy look, and I trust that look. Perry's done a trial run as the Whiskey Media chat mod a month ago. If it were not for college schedules I'd already know when Perry's starting, but alas I don't want interns missing college to slum it with us in the basement, even if they do.
Finally, some of you asked what this internship entails. MattBodega and Lemon have graduated to "Kingtern" status and will be working in editorial and video production, respectively. The other victims will not be doing that.
The internship is focused on working on our wikis, uploading video trailers, getting lunch for staff, assembling furniture, creating quests, running chat rooms and bar tending for no tips. Interns won't write for, be on a podcast or be in a video for Giant Bomb. It's not an editorial internship, it's a community and wiki data internship. The internships are 2 months long, pay $10/hour, and are non-stop work. In the end, they'll understand what it takes to make a Whiskey Media site run; from editorial to engineering to wiki data collection. Oh and all interns start on Anime Vice.