Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By ethan
Time to make the coffee
Time to make the coffee

The Second Annual Whiskey Media Summer Community Internship Interview process is complete! On April 4th, 2011 I tweeted a call for the summer. That tweet led to hundreds of PMs requesting interviews. The ones who got an interview had the right mix of community contributions and savvy. A couple even traveled here by airplane just to get a shot.

I do feel bad for these kids, I'm a task master. I'm old and grumpy and I'm a tough boss. I fired Matt Kessler 3 times last summer. I'm the scary guy in the interview process, the boogey man, the heavy. Taking notes from Dr. Phil, I break my interviewees down to trembling, tear soaked, second-guessing lab rats. I need to know they won't break under pressure. And this summer, the pressure is on as these guys enter the Whiskey Media pressure cooker.

Now. Here. In this blog. I give you. The official summer internship line up.

1. UndeadPool (aka Corey) 4/20 - 6/24 is already half way through his internship. He's a game and comic book aficionado, and if you haven't already, go read his blog Internship: Month 1. Why'd I hire Corey? He knows Giant Bomb and Comic Vine, which makes him more valuable to me. He's congenial, punctual and dependable. We did right by bringing him on board; he get's shit done.
  2. GlenTennis (aka Ben) 5/20 - 7/20 Many of you have already heard Ben's voice on a TNT and a Happy Hour a month ago when we had him come in to try his hand as a live chat moderator. He'll be back this Friday to start his 2 months of hell... I mean internship. Why'd I hire Ben? Because he seemed like the gentlest dude you could ever meet in an interview, and I want to crush that spirit. He's also super involved in the community. And like Corey, he lives in San Francisco. Bonus points.
  3. MattBodega (aka Kessler) 5/30 - 8/20 Jeff asked for him back, dunno why.
  4. Lemon (aka Steve) 6/8 - 8/20 Last year Steve was a Whiskey Media community intern, and this year he's coming back specifically as a video production intern. In their previous internships, both Matt and Steve were tasked with producing behind-the-scenes weekly videos. We thought they did such good jobs on Kessler Kam and Lemon Lens, that I've asked them to come back. But this time, like some Tarantino meets Rodriguez film (that's not racist, I didn't imply who is who) they must co-produce their own weekly show, or they're fired. We're taking suggestions on the name for this new weekly series.
  5. Babylonian (aka Nick) 6/20 - 8/20 Nick's the guy who made these two hilarious Giant Bomb community videos, Never and Strap It On. When he said he'd fly out from Bible Country to interview with us, and he turned out to be relatively normal, I hired him on the spot.
  6. EpicSteve (aka Epic) 7/1 - 8/20 Steve was the best dresser out of all these interviewees (step it up fellas) and he also flew in from out of state just to get a shot at working behind-the-scenes at Whiskey Media. His eagerness to get involved in the business and his community presence here on our forums is what got him the last spot. He's a buttoned up military guys, so my job is to make this kid learn to smile, just a little.
  7. FullMetal216 (aka Perry) date TBD. Perry has been pm'ing me since last summer with links to reviews and blog posts he's written. He's got that All-American farm boy look, and I trust that look. Perry's done a trial run as the Whiskey Media chat mod a month ago. If it were not for college schedules I'd already know when Perry's starting, but alas I don't want interns missing college to slum it with us in the basement, even if they do.

Finally, some of you asked what this internship entails. MattBodega and Lemon have graduated to "Kingtern" status and will be working in editorial and video production, respectively. The other victims will not be doing that.

The internship is focused on working on our wikis, uploading video trailers, getting lunch for staff, assembling furniture, creating quests, running chat rooms and bar tending for no tips. Interns won't write for, be on a podcast or be in a video for Giant Bomb. It's not an editorial internship, it's a community and wiki data internship. The internships are 2 months long, pay $10/hour, and are non-stop work. In the end, they'll understand what it takes to make a Whiskey Media site run; from editorial to engineering to wiki data collection. Oh and all interns start on Anime Vice.

ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ethan
Time to make the coffee
Time to make the coffee

The Second Annual Whiskey Media Summer Community Internship Interview process is complete! On April 4th, 2011 I tweeted a call for the summer. That tweet led to hundreds of PMs requesting interviews. The ones who got an interview had the right mix of community contributions and savvy. A couple even traveled here by airplane just to get a shot.

I do feel bad for these kids, I'm a task master. I'm old and grumpy and I'm a tough boss. I fired Matt Kessler 3 times last summer. I'm the scary guy in the interview process, the boogey man, the heavy. Taking notes from Dr. Phil, I break my interviewees down to trembling, tear soaked, second-guessing lab rats. I need to know they won't break under pressure. And this summer, the pressure is on as these guys enter the Whiskey Media pressure cooker.

Now. Here. In this blog. I give you. The official summer internship line up.

1. UndeadPool (aka Corey) 4/20 - 6/24 is already half way through his internship. He's a game and comic book aficionado, and if you haven't already, go read his blog Internship: Month 1. Why'd I hire Corey? He knows Giant Bomb and Comic Vine, which makes him more valuable to me. He's congenial, punctual and dependable. We did right by bringing him on board; he get's shit done.
  2. GlenTennis (aka Ben) 5/20 - 7/20 Many of you have already heard Ben's voice on a TNT and a Happy Hour a month ago when we had him come in to try his hand as a live chat moderator. He'll be back this Friday to start his 2 months of hell... I mean internship. Why'd I hire Ben? Because he seemed like the gentlest dude you could ever meet in an interview, and I want to crush that spirit. He's also super involved in the community. And like Corey, he lives in San Francisco. Bonus points.
  3. MattBodega (aka Kessler) 5/30 - 8/20 Jeff asked for him back, dunno why.
  4. Lemon (aka Steve) 6/8 - 8/20 Last year Steve was a Whiskey Media community intern, and this year he's coming back specifically as a video production intern. In their previous internships, both Matt and Steve were tasked with producing behind-the-scenes weekly videos. We thought they did such good jobs on Kessler Kam and Lemon Lens, that I've asked them to come back. But this time, like some Tarantino meets Rodriguez film (that's not racist, I didn't imply who is who) they must co-produce their own weekly show, or they're fired. We're taking suggestions on the name for this new weekly series.
  5. Babylonian (aka Nick) 6/20 - 8/20 Nick's the guy who made these two hilarious Giant Bomb community videos, Never and Strap It On. When he said he'd fly out from Bible Country to interview with us, and he turned out to be relatively normal, I hired him on the spot.
  6. EpicSteve (aka Epic) 7/1 - 8/20 Steve was the best dresser out of all these interviewees (step it up fellas) and he also flew in from out of state just to get a shot at working behind-the-scenes at Whiskey Media. His eagerness to get involved in the business and his community presence here on our forums is what got him the last spot. He's a buttoned up military guys, so my job is to make this kid learn to smile, just a little.
  7. FullMetal216 (aka Perry) date TBD. Perry has been pm'ing me since last summer with links to reviews and blog posts he's written. He's got that All-American farm boy look, and I trust that look. Perry's done a trial run as the Whiskey Media chat mod a month ago. If it were not for college schedules I'd already know when Perry's starting, but alas I don't want interns missing college to slum it with us in the basement, even if they do.

Finally, some of you asked what this internship entails. MattBodega and Lemon have graduated to "Kingtern" status and will be working in editorial and video production, respectively. The other victims will not be doing that.

The internship is focused on working on our wikis, uploading video trailers, getting lunch for staff, assembling furniture, creating quests, running chat rooms and bar tending for no tips. Interns won't write for, be on a podcast or be in a video for Giant Bomb. It's not an editorial internship, it's a community and wiki data internship. The internships are 2 months long, pay $10/hour, and are non-stop work. In the end, they'll understand what it takes to make a Whiskey Media site run; from editorial to engineering to wiki data collection. Oh and all interns start on Anime Vice.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SSully

Haha the last sentence was the best.

Congrats to everyone who made it. I cannot say anyone on that list doesn't deserve it, make us proud boys!
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Karl_Boss

Now I know whose interning when....thanks for the list.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Are Kessler & Steve doing one show each, or working together on a single show? Because if those guys are facing off with competing weekly video shows it would be totally awesome. The duelling interns. To quote Whiskey Media's current intern, it would be "full of win" (I don't think I'm ever going to tire of bringing that reference up). EDIT: After reading the thing properly, and seeing the word "co-produce", I realize that they're working together on one show. That sounds less awesome, but still cool.

Also, that's a lot of interns. How many sandwiches & cups of coffee do you guys need?

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By EightBitShik

Congrats guys! I really hope as interns you push yourselfs to make Giantbomb a better place while you are there. You maybe just an intern but you do have the power to speak while you are there so impress them and impress us because if you do it will only make GB better.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By mattbodega

Congratulations to all the new interns!

Just a quick tip to all y'all who got the job; try not to miss your first day of work because you woke up at 4AM out of excitement and accidentally locked yourself out of your apartment in your underwear.

I understand this may sound like an edge case, but this does happen.

Don't ask me how I know this.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fattony12000

I wish I could come and work for you guys, if I was more awesomer, and cleverer, and wittyer, I'd work for the sweat that drips from Ryan's furrowed brow as he whips me for not asking good GiantBomb chat questions.

Sweet sweet sweat.

It doesn't help that I'm about 5,300 miles away from WM.

I hate my life, but most of all I HATE YOU RYAN! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!

Oh, and good job on ya internships everyone!
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Kingtern? For real?

Fuck, I'm never going to hear the end of this...

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Shoutouts to the new guys hoping to improve the community and wiki system!

If there is an editorial internship down the line, for sure I am down to play!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#10  Edited By EpicSteve
@MattyFTM said:

Kessler & Steve facing off with competing weekly video shows. That sounds totally awesome. The duelling interns. To quote Whiskey Media's current intern, it's "full of win" (I don't think I'm ever going to tire of bringing that reference up).

Also, that's a lot of interns. How many sandwiches & cups of coffee do you guys need?

One intern is on coffee detail and one goes on sandwich runs. Any interns left behind continue working as normal. To maintain a well-oiled machine, work productivity has to be 110% at minimum. If Ethan gives me any freedom on what content goes on Anime Vice, prepare for a lot of Dragonball Z pieces. 
Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

Good on all the fresh meat, best start learning how to make coffee and fetch those sandwiches!

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#12  Edited By Brackynews

Whoop! Gratz gents on landing the most coveted white board in the Bay area. :)

edit: 

Jeff asked for him back, dunno why.

Because Kessler has been well Train'ed. CHOO CHOO!
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AlexW00d

I know it's not even slightly about the money, but is 10 bucks an hour a good wage? Cos that is way more than I earn when you convert it over AND they'll be having whole heaps of fun, even if Ethan is torturing them, and that all makes me sad.

But shit man, good going to all of you and I hope you all have fun.

Although gutted on the AnimeVice.
s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Wait, Corey is undeadpool? Well I'll be...

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

If this summer allows for it I may visit the office if you guys are alright with it. I'm moving back with my parents at Pleasant Hill in Contra Costa County this summer.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mracoon

Congrats interns! Now get back in the basement.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By ThePickle

Hope Lemon isn't on or off camera. 

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By EuanDewar

Bodega and Lemon are returning? Fuck yeah. I also have a feeling that EpicSteve will be the first Intern that ryan and jeff dont constantly insult. They'll be terrified of him.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#19  Edited By Soap

If Whiskey Media ever ups and moves to London, or wants to pay to fly me over to SF I'll be first in line to intern :P

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By wrighteous86

Any idea if/when you'll be accepting interns or applicants that are non-local?

Also, Kessler's and Lemon's show should be called, "Intern-al Affairs".
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mracoon

@Soap said:

If Whiskey Media ever ups and moves to London, or wants to pay to fly me over to SF I'll be first in line to intern :P

You and me both, buddy.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22  Edited By turboman

name idea for Matt/Steve's video series

The LemoDega Digest

....maybe not

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23  Edited By zyn

Lemon & EpicSteve!!!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ajamafalous
@Wrighteous86

Fuck you.
vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

For what it's worth, Kingtern is pretty funny. Good on you, Ethan!

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DeeGee

Since Kessler will be doing editorials, that means we can get him on the podcast, right?

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By animateria

Nice, I'm glad Kessler is back on the intern train.

I hope Lemon and him have a disgusting fish eating competition for the right to... uh, something.
Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gaff

I wish I lived in San Francisco for this.

Good second option: Sweden. Any Swedes in the community who could send some Surströmming?
sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By sparklykiss
@Wrighteous86 said:

Oh you freaking would, wouldn't you?

And that is a lot of interns, cripes.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By Claude

Nick or Babylonian is a fellow North Carolinian, hell yeah. He and Brad can talk about how awesome Western North Carolina is.

galloughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By galloughs

Why is everyone there such an ass towards interns? You guys used to seem like interesting and funny guys, but after seeing/hearing how you treat your interns (videos/live show, etc) I'm starting to regret buying a membership.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By wrighteous86
@ajamafalous said:

@Wrighteous86

Fuck you.
Uh... what?

@galloughs said:
Why is everyone there such an ass towards interns? You guys used to seem like interesting and funny guys, but after seeing/hearing how you treat your interns (videos/live show, etc) I'm starting to regret buying a membership.
Also, yo I think it's a joke, dawg. They brought back Lemon and Kessler...
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By benpack
No Caption Provided
Also: Taking bets now for who wins Intern Summer Slam 2011.
DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34  Edited By DocHaus

Damn how I wish I had family that lived in CA so I could afford to take a $10/hr job there.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DeeGee
@GlenTennis: I bet $50 on EpicSteve. There's a guy who can break a few necks to get ahead!
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I want an intern trivia challenge. Every time they answer a trivia question wrong they take a shot.

Of gin.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#37  Edited By EpicSteve
@GlenTennis said:
No Caption Provided
Also: Taking bets now for who wins Intern Summer Slam 2011.
Wait a minute. Ethan never told me I would have to throw down with the other interns. *crack knuckles 
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#38  Edited By ArbitraryWater

If this doesn't end with a straight up cage match between all these interns to see who gets to moderate the chat, I'm not really sure how this is ever going to be even the least bit successful.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39  Edited By metal_mills

I'd kill to be an intern at Giantbomb. Kill every single one of those interns! Err, I mean, I'd do anything to get one. Sadly, I live in Australia(and Australia has shit all game writing positions it seems) and flying all the way to America for an interview to get an internship is a bit nuts. :(

I have a question though. How can all interns start at AV? Surely they don't all know about anime. I'm great with games, movies, tv shows, a bit of comics but wouldn't have the first idea of anime related stuff outside pokemon and dragon ball z I watched as a kid.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By Pop

LET THE SLAUGHTER BEGIN!!!

Oh wow so excited to see the Kessler / Lemon show, they should call it like "Big Intern Game Show" B.I.G.S. or idk, "The Community Bomb" 
Oh and at one moment you guys will have 5 interns at the same time :D awesome!! I hope something crazy will happen
Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Oh boy, the return of Kessler!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ajamafalous
@Wrighteous86 said:
@ajamafalous said:

@Wrighteous86

Fuck you.
Uh... what?
Sorry, I couldn't edit from my iPhone :/. Reply was to your ridiculous pun.
Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kessler and Lemon at the same time? oh boy... Keslemon Kam

Vyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vyper

ALL HAIL THE RETURN OF THE KESSLER KINGDOM.
Our king has returned.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By wrighteous86
@ajamafalous said:
@Wrighteous86 said:
@ajamafalous said:

@Wrighteous86

Fuck you.
Uh... what?
Sorry, I couldn't edit from my iPhone :/. Reply was to your ridiculous pun.
Haha. Okay, I assumed as much. I do love my puns.
BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BrickRoad
@mracoon said:

@Soap said:

You and me both, buddy.

You'll both have to get through me, first. Not that I fight or anything. No, it'll be as simple as just walking past me. But still, you've got to actually walk past someone, which is easier said than done. Okay, actually it's easier to do than say I guess, but, anyway, what was I... that's...
TheSmashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheSmashing

Will we see something like this ?

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By buzz_clik

I want a video of Ryan rolling all the interns up into a big ball and pushing them around the office Katamari-style.

Congrats to all involved! And good to see some old faces getting the chance to redeem themselves.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#50  Edited By Undeadpool
@Sanj said:
Wait, Corey is undeadpool? Well I'll be...
Did you drop your coffee cup when you realized that? Did it shatter dramatically in slo-mo?