Why does the MAC OS have a page of its own but Linux doesn't?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Snail

I noticed that while the MAC operating system has a wiki page of its own, the Linux OS is represented as an alias in the PC page.

Since right now there seems to be no easy way on Giant Bomb to see what games are available to be played on Linux, I think this should be changed. Linux should be given a platform page of its own, especially now that Valve is making such a move to port games to that operating system.

Why doesn't this page exist already? It sounds like a pretty big task, since there are quite a handful of games available there. What do you guys think of this? Has this been discussed before? I kinda have to assume there's a reasoning behind having "Linux" as an alias for "PC", because the point that I'm trying to make just seems all too obvious.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@Snail: This is a sound argument; you're probably right.

It's only a matter of time until we actually start seeing big titles out on Linux. There were a few great indie titles this year I actually preferred to play on Linux, such as FTL (managed to sneak some time on that at work where I use Linux on my workstation.) Considering strides are being made towards Linux gaming, a page for Linux should definitely happen.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By KamasamaK

"PC" is unfortunately a very broad term. It does technically include machines running Linux, but then it also includes those running Mac OS X, BSD, Solaris, and more. If you're going to separate out those games that run on Mac, it's only fair to do so with other notable operating systems as well. Although, even different versions of Windows can be vastly different and may require further breaking down in that case.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Snail

@KamasamaK said:

"PC" is unfortunately a very broad term. It does technically include machines running Linux, but then it also includes those running Mac OS X, BSD, Solaris, and more. If you're going to separate out those games that run on Mac, it's only fair to do so with other notable operating systems as well. Although, even different versions of Windows can be vastly different and may require further breaking down in that case.

Windows (commonly referred to as "PC"), MAC and Linux are the most common OS's, and each have enough titles available on them that they deserve their own page. I guess those are the three platforms that have Steam on them (Linux version is currently being beta-tested).

Valve is also working with nvidia on some Linux exclusive drivers, that supposedly offer a much better performance out of an nvidia graphics card. I think that OS has to be listed. If I want to look up what games are currently available for Linux on Giant Bomb, which I do, there's no easy way to do that.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JasonR86

Because fuck Linux.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By ZombiePie

@Snail: Linux does not have its own page as per a staff verdict whereby they did not want to break up PC games by operating systems. The staff have already rejected "Linux" as a platform for the database as it did not meet our criteria for warranting its own platform page. That criteria being:

Consoles/computers that only run games that are currently served by another platform on the site do not get their own platform page and can be safely discussed on the wiki pages for the machine they are duplicating.

However if you have objections you should feel free to contact Jeff as only he and the staff can add Linux to the database as a platform.