#1 Edited by Jeknod (228 posts) -

I was checking a game that I remember enjoying but everyone else hating, and out of interest I checked it's Giant Bomb wiki page.

http://www.giantbomb.com/driver-parallel-lines/61-17604/     

Really? The same text is repeated twice with bad grammar, and the rest is just copy and pasted straight from Wikipedia. And this has been there for God knows who long. There should be some sort of edit history feature like on Wikipedia to see who has done what. I'm sure I'm coming off as a jerk here, but again: really?  

You might say "just edit it yourself", but it was years ago I played that game and I don't really remember much of it, so I probably wouldn't be qualified to write anything about it. 

End of semi-rant. 

EDIT: Someone has now filled out he article with original content and made it miles better than before. Big kudos to that person, but this does not solve the problem in general. I will repeat what i said in my posts below. If  you have a wiki history open for everyone to see it would encourage people to think a little more before they make their edits. I think this would be a step forward to a better wiki.

#2 Edited by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -

it's not. the top editor (who i'll assume wrote that page) has 1,000+ wiki points so his submission wasn't moderated. you can try to put up a wiki task here to get someone to fix that mess of a page 

#3 Posted by Jeknod (228 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
" it's not. the top editor (who i'll assume wrote that page) has 1,000+ wiki points so his submission wasn't moderated. you can try to put up a wiki task here to get someone to fix that mess of a page  "
The top editor is also a moderator. 

That's... uh... what?
#4 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Maybe this was the orginal content and noone else really has the experience/knowledge to edit it to something proper? But just correct his grammar and ta-da, free wiki points.

#5 Posted by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -
@Jeknod: pretty sure that's.. oh..uh..

WAT  

ok, my assumption was way off. you don't get 75 points by writing such a small part of the page. a wiki history would be helpful here o-O 
#6 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

There are unfortunately some very poor pages on the Wiki.  There's this one page I always happen onto by accident that makes me angry every single time I see it because it's basically written like a poorly-worded review and is the worst thing ever.  But I can never remember which one it is. :(

The point is, lazy assholes want easy points.

#7 Posted by Jeknod (228 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" There are unfortunately some very poor pages on the Wiki.  There's this one page I always happen onto by accident that makes me angry every single time I see it because it's basically written like a poorly-worded review and is the worst thing ever.  But I can never remember which one it is. :(  The point is, lazy assholes want easy points. "
Further strengthening the point of a wiki history. The admins/mods most likely have it, but when you have a wiki history open for everyone to see it would encourage people to think a little more before they make their edits. 
#8 Posted by MasturbatingBear (1781 posts) -

Yo just saying. I don't think Josseppie and the 2nd rated guy on that page did it. They both uploaded a bunch of images. And It was probably done back when images got you more than 1 point.

#9 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -
@Jeknod said:
" Further strengthening the point of a wiki history. The admins/mods most likely have it, but when you have a wiki history open for everyone to see it would encourage people to think a little more before they make their edits.  "
Indeed.
#10 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19342 posts) -

Wikipedia directly copied practically everything they have on their Catherine page from ours.  Even though it's not likely in this case, maybe someone on Wikipedia copied the page you linked as well? 

But I agree completely, a public edit history of a page for every user is a necessity and it's surprising it hasn't been implemented yet.

#11 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Jeknod said:
" There should be some sort of edit history feature like on Wikipedia to see who has done what. "
We did have such a feature for a short time, but it was removed, possibly because it sucked. As far as I'm concerned, if the history viewing feature in a wiki functions so poorly that it has to be removed, the wiki should never have launched in the first place. Just because the wiki is lightly moderated doesn't mean we have no need of such important features.
#12 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

I smell corruption of the highest level... 
Nah, but it's still strange. Something seems very wrong with that page.

#13 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
"Driver parallel lines is the fourth game in the  Driver video game series. Unlike other driver games this one takes place in just one city New York and is the first game to not feature 'Tanner' as the main character. Instead your left with TK. This game is more on the driving side then driv3r but still includes shooting."

Lmfao.
#14 Posted by wrathofconn (1463 posts) -

I don't think you are being a jerk by pointing out that the rules aren't being enforced in a timely or consistent manner. I know the site relies largely on user reports for these things, but as this case illustrates, not all pages get seen, and that's not really okay if we want to be a serious source of information. Wikipedia gets this kind of moderation done somehow. I know everyone who works on the site is busy, but things like this never seem to get much of a response from any knowledgeable party. 

#15 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@wrathofconn: Wikipedia gets it done because there are loads of users working in numerous areas, and there are numerous tools that can aid in their maintenance. But there are still backlogs in many areas that go back several years. On Giant Bomb we have considerably less active users, who tend to work more on building the wiki than maintaining it. And we don't have access to as many useful tools to help us out when we do want to maintain it. These are things I'm actually trying to help fix, but support from the developers would also go a long way. 

And if ever you do come across something that needs to be fixed, by all means point it out to someone. With plagiarism, it's often the case that no one has noticed it yet. You can't always tell just by looking at the text.
#16 Posted by wrathofconn (1463 posts) -
@LordAndrew: Yeah, it's certainly true that they have more users and resources, my point was mainly that they are also dealing with a significantly larger volume of data. I do try to work with grammar and structure on as many pages as possible, but I certainly also see your point about building versus maintaining.
#17 Posted by afrofools (1348 posts) -

I remember the 1st and last (for now) wiki edit I made took me hours to do, and it should have only taken me 20mins tops.

#18 Posted by ethan (776 posts) -

We're aware that wiki history should be in the wiki.  It's the #1 thing we want to fix ( add back in ) into wikid when we rebuild the wikid tools.  

#19 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19342 posts) -
@ethan: Good news, thanks.