• 53 results
Posted by Jeff (3583 posts) -

I've taken to clearing out a few of the more ridiculous lists of aliases on the site, and here's a helpful tip about why we have that field in the first place. 

The alias field is there SOLELY for search purposes. It's meant to catch cases where people are searching for one thing ("girlfriend mode") when we have a page that covers that topic under a different name ("asymmetrical co-op"). It's meant to help people who type in "DMC" when they mean "Devil May Cry." It's not designed to be a fat list of every single term you can come up with.

When you go overboard on alias lists, it's a great joke. But it also makes the site more difficult to use by cluttering up search results with unrelated pages. Please keep this in mind when suggesting new page aliases on the boards.

Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3583 posts) -

I've taken to clearing out a few of the more ridiculous lists of aliases on the site, and here's a helpful tip about why we have that field in the first place. 

The alias field is there SOLELY for search purposes. It's meant to catch cases where people are searching for one thing ("girlfriend mode") when we have a page that covers that topic under a different name ("asymmetrical co-op"). It's meant to help people who type in "DMC" when they mean "Devil May Cry." It's not designed to be a fat list of every single term you can come up with.

When you go overboard on alias lists, it's a great joke. But it also makes the site more difficult to use by cluttering up search results with unrelated pages. Please keep this in mind when suggesting new page aliases on the boards.

Staff
#2 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Listen peons, Jeff has spoken.

#3 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

YEAH, DICKS.

#4 Posted by demontium (4709 posts) -

Yeah good point, I remember doing the jungle quest, searching jungle, and getting results like General Shephard's page.

#5 Posted by Gamer_152 (14081 posts) -

Glad you posted this, I feel it was something the wiki editors needed to be made aware of.

#6 Posted by InfamousBIG (3202 posts) -

So...no more editing the vagina page?

#7 Posted by ZombiePie (5685 posts) -

THANK JEEBUS! It was funny for a bit but then it got stupid. I'll admit to making the ridiculousness worse but yeah wikis shouldn't be used for those purposes.

#8 Posted by Disgaeamad (1342 posts) -

While I'm in complete agreement here, "shaft" and "dick" should totally be legit aliases for the penis page.

God I'm a horrible person.

#9 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -

I don't even know how to do aliases. So don't look at me. Isn't that right... Mr. Pee Dabber.

#10 Posted by Jeff (3583 posts) -
@Disgaeamad said:
" While I'm in complete agreement here, "shaft" and "dick" should totally be legit aliases for the penis page.  God I'm a horrible person. "
You might be right about dick. I always approach aliases by thinking about what a real person might actually search for. With that in mind, most games don't even deserve an abbreviation of their name. No one's going to go type in "H3" if they're after Halo 3, for example. But "Halo III" is a perfect alias for that page, since someone might go Roman numerals on it. 

(Actually, it's my hope that we'll start automatically generating aliases on the back end for games with numbers in their titles to automatically account for Roman numerals and vice versa, but that's not going to happen in the near future.)
Staff
#11 Posted by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -

Glad to see this is being dealt with.  People have been going overboard with this lately, especially with the penis and vagina pages.

#12 Posted by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -

I noticed "gaylo" doesn't bring up the Halo page. Should i fix that?

#13 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

Thank god. This alias thing was getting insane. I'm looking at the penis and vagina page especially.

#14 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Glad to see this being clamped down on. Usually fads like this come and go on their own but folks became surprisingly caught up in this one.

#15 Posted by Disgaeamad (1342 posts) -
@Jeff:  Funnily enough, I've never actually seen anyone refer to Halo as anything other than "Halo", so I see where you're coming from there. Of course, then there's stuff like Devil May Cry or God of War where DMC and GoW work perfectly as aliases since the majority of people refer to them like that.

Automated Roman numeral aliases would be pretty sweet though. Will look forward to when Whiskey's Wizards of Code sort that out I guess.
#16 Posted by Fallen189 (5025 posts) -
@Mrnitropb said:
" I noticed "gaylo" doesn't bring up the Halo page. Should i fix that? "
You can't add aliases, so no.
#17 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

...I feel like I missed out on something funny after reading this thread.  :( 

Good to know I guess, never knew about this fad.   

@Mrnitropb said:

" I noticed "gaylo" doesn't bring up the Halo page. Should i fix that? "
Imma followz you nao.
#18 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

So you're saying you don't want the penis and vagina pages to show up whenever I search for something completely unrelated? But people need to know what this site is all about!

#19 Posted by mracoon (4972 posts) -

Automatic aliases for Roman numerals to numbers would be super helpful. A lot of aliases people request are things like God of War III to God of War 3.

#20 Posted by buzz_clik (6976 posts) -

People were doing this? Huh. I always thought the function was there purely for me to add PAL territory game names that 1% of users will bother looking up.

#21 Edited by rjayb89 (7724 posts) -
Vagina and penis are hard hitters, bros. 

Edit: were
#22 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

Sadface :( 

Too be honest I don't think the aliases for things like Penis and Vagina would get in the way of people's searches seeing as not many games have "beaver", "clunge", "pussy" or "shaft" in their titles.

#23 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Djeffers03: You don't think someone would want to look up what games have beavers in them? Or one of the Giant Bomb's numerous pages with "Shaft" in their name? For those people, those aliases are actively disruptive. If someone wants to find those pages, they should use a proper search term, not crap like "soft-shelled tuna taco".
#24 Posted by Sweep (8872 posts) -

I can still refer to a penis as a "meat-rocket" though, right?

#25 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Sweep: If that's what satisfies your meat-rocket, go right ahead.
#26 Posted by natetodamax (19208 posts) -

Thanks for doing this. The breast page especially was just a collection of stupid made up gibberish

#27 Posted by Scrawnto (2452 posts) -
@LordAndrew: The beaver concept isn't gone. Just the beaver alias for vagina. Game names are also obviously unaffected by this. If a game has shaft in the name than searching for shaft will still bring it up. The search just won't include penis anymore.
#28 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@rjayb89 said:
" Vagina and penis are hard hitters, bros. 

Edit: were "
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Well, at least Jeff got to read all my amazing aliases. Snizz was my favorite.
#29 Edited by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -
@FunExplosions said:

" @rjayb89 said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Well, at least Jeff got to read all my amazing aliases. Snizz was my favorite. "
For which body part?
In all seriousness, how does one add an alias? Was on a screened page just now and realized I couldn't. Is that a 5K wiki thing?
#30 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -

Never forget.
#31 Posted by Hailinel (24977 posts) -

Thank god.  This was getting too absurd.

#32 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Scrawnto: That's what I'm saying. The beaver concept still exists. But now when people search for the beaver page, or Claptrap, or Princess Peach, the vagina page no longer shows up in the search results. That is a very good thing.
#33 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

blue-veined-junket-pumper returns no matches.  I am affront.

#34 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Thank God, I hate typing something in and seeing a trillion unrelated results.

#35 Posted by Scrawnto (2452 posts) -
@LordAndrew: Oh, my apologies. I completely misread the tone of your post. I didn't notice the post you were replying to and assumed you were addressing Jeff. My mistake entirely.
#36 Edited by wrathofconn (1463 posts) -
@Mrnitropb: No, that's a you-can-never-do-it wiki thing. Kind of like platforms.
#37 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Mrnitropb: Only some page types have user-editable aliases. The rest are only editable by mods and staff, and this is a great example of why.
#38 Posted by Xeiphyer (5605 posts) -

I hope all the funny ones that came up on podcasts and stuff survived! Its always hilarious to hear something on the podcast and see it actually on the site.

#39 Edited by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Mrnitropb said:

" @FunExplosions said:

" @rjayb89 said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Well, at least Jeff got to read all my amazing aliases. Snizz was my favorite. "
For which body part? In all seriousness, how does one add an alias? Was on a screened page just now and realized I couldn't. Is that a 5K wiki thing? "
Vagina, of course. And I don't think users can add aliases to games. Only objects, concepts, etc.
@ajamafalous
said:

"

Never forget.
"
RIP
#40 Posted by Alphazero (1536 posts) -

I wonder if, somewhere not too far from here, Google employees are having this same discussion.

#41 Posted by MattyFTM (14394 posts) -

The whole vagina/penis alias thing was funny for a while, but yeah, it went on for too long and it needed to be clamped down on.

#42 Posted by Bigheart711 (1253 posts) -

We still have a "Suggest an Name Change/Alias" thread on the forums, right? I think " Breast" [Main Name] should be plural (Breasts).

#43 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Bigheart711: 

You can add that to the page; concepts are free. That's why I added all those breast aliases. Also, because I searched for aliases for breasts online and got those and more. So much more....
#44 Posted by Bigheart711 (1253 posts) -
@Video_Game_King:  Thanks for the info.
#45 Posted by Jayzilla (2564 posts) -

why does jeff have a gold medal? he has to pay a sub? if he doesn't pay a sub, he doesn't deserve a medal :p

#46 Posted by Meptron (1081 posts) -

Guys, I have a problem and I was hoping you could help? I'm looking for games with "hard throbbing phalluses" in them and I was hoping you could direct me to the appropriate page(s). I tried searching but nothing comes up!
#47 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Jayzilla said:
" why does jeff have a gold medal? he has to pay a sub? if he doesn't pay a sub, he doesn't deserve a medal :p "
He actually did pay for his subscription.
#48 Posted by Dalai (7034 posts) -

I think Giant Bomb should do a 50's style educational video on the do's and don'ts of wiki aliases.

#49 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

Phew. For a second I thought this was singling out my alias addition to the Asym. Co-op page.

#50 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3485 posts) -

Glad to see those certain pages have been cleaned up ;)