Wiki-editors - What, if any, past-gen to current-gen remasters/re-releases warrant their own wiki pages?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Edited By FLStyle

Poll Wiki-editors - What, if any, past-gen to current-gen remasters/re-releases warrant their own wiki pages? (28 votes)

None at all 32%
All of them 14%
Only ones with significant additions, separating ports from re-releases 71%

On the back of the DmC: Devil May Cry Definitive Edition and DMC4 Special Edition announcements I want to get a dialogue going on what pages need creating and which don't, here's a quote from @yummylee

Unfortunately what seems to count for a re-release of a game getting its own page is extremely murky. I totally think [DMC4 SE] should get its own page, though, as it includes a whole new character. I would think GTA V deserves one too because of all the new content like the FP view. The Last of Us less so since it's just a higher fps/resolution version with little difference otherwise.

One such game that does have its own wiki page is the PSP remake Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions, which is based on the PS1 game, Final Fantasy Tactics.

Any thoughts? Should we have concept pages for past-gen to current-gen ports and an additional page for past-gen to current-gen re-releases?

• 
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Games that are a separate $60 purchase from the base game (ports not included) should count as a different game. I would even include TLOU Remaster in that. It comes with the DLC and has specifically upgraded visuals.. I know that seems a little weak but I would rather draw a hard line in the sand than have to weigh everything game and say "Does this enough new content, yes/no?"

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By cornbredx

Personally I don't think they require their own page. Info about the re-release could be added to the original games page. That's what aliases, platforms, and release dates are for.

I mean I only occasionally add old games to the wiki, which had re-releases too. They don't have separate pages for all of them, and back in the day games released on separate platforms could be completely different games. Aladdin on SNES is not the same as Aladdin on Genesis for example. Do those have separate pages, too? Should they? (I don't think so).

We already have several remaster pages. I feel that's not necessary. If all you want is to add a new name that people might look for a specific game, because it was re-released with a new name (like Kingdom Heart HD Remix for example), I would think that's the point of adding an alias.

I don't see the point in constantly adding a new page just because a game got released again on a new generation of consoles. Most of the time it's the same game. I mean, again, if we're not making different pages for old games released on multiple platforms that legitimately are different than I don't see the difference here when it comes to re-release/remasters for a newer generation of consoles.

That's just my opinion, though.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

If Final Fantasy XII International Job Zodiac System doesn't have it's own page then it seems that no amount of new modes or features warrants a new page. Completely changing the battle system, making the summons playable, adding a mode where your party is level 99, adding a mode where your party is level 1, adding new hunts and quests, and yet it doesn't get it's own page.

Compared to that adding first person view in GTAV is nothing, because it's the same game from a different perspective. FFXII IJZS is a different game entirely.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

New pages only for remakes, which constitute different games.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm not a wiki editor but I wanted to chime in that having seperate pages for substantial updates is from my perspective a better way of handling things for readers. It's purely a search function preference to look up the updated versions faster/better if they have a seperate page. I also imagine editors are more likely to list the updates to the game more indepth if there is a new page to create and edit.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#7  Edited By bobafettjm

I have made my feeling on this subject known on more than one occasion, but I think as long as the game is a separate release and it was updated in some way it should get a page. If the game is just a straight port then it should not. Of course I also think handheld versions of games that play totally differently should have their own page as well. I feel like eventually none of the releases get as good a write up as they could on their own page.

white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

@brendan: that seems really inefficient. Ideally, the DLC will already be mentioned in the original game page. It makes more sense to add a small paragraph explaining (in this very particular case) the slight differences between the games rather than creating two separate game pages.

Unless the core games are drastically different like dead rising, then I think editors should aim to reduce the number of different game pages.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By GERALTITUDE

A version is a version. "Rerelease" is not a class in my mind.

1st Rule Is: only a version with significant differences gets its own page. The Dreamcast version of Resident Evil 3 doesn't need its own page. I think @mosespippy, that an argument could be made that that version of FFXII should have a different page.

What's "significant" is admittedly a gray line. There are probably many cases on GB of games needing separate pages and not separate pages. It's a tricky thing to judge sometimes.

I appreciate the sentiment behind GTAV's 1st person "changing the game" but I feel personally that's overstating the case. It also portrays it as a binary feature that you turn on/off, when in fact the game encourages a blend of camera perspectives.