Wiki Page Proposal Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Got an idea for a wiki page, but not sure if it's any good? Want to vet your idea to make sure it's not already in the wiki? Not quite sure what your idea is, and need hashing out? Then come one, come all, to the Wiki Page Proposal Thread! Seems like a good idea, so why not?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'll begin with mine to see if it's any good:

Landmark Button

A button prompt that directs your view to a specific area/object in the environment. Think those L3 prompts from The Last of Us. I know I've seen this in other games (mostly American ones), but that's the most recent example that comes to mind.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

I know I've seen that somewhere before, but I can't think of where :(

Also, something I've had in mind:

Dramatic Silence

When an area deliberately has no music, usually before some big event/boss fight/whatever. I don't really have any good examples of this though. I know that there's a level in Dustforce that has no music though, that's all I have at the moment. Also, obviously, games that don't have any music whatsoever don't count.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

@beachthunder said:

Also, obviously, games that don't have any music whatsoever don't count.

What about games that largely don't have music? Fragile Dreams has music, but there are more quiet moments than there are musical ones.

How about this as a rule: the game has to normally have music in most other areas. Define dramatic silence through contrast.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Brutal Legend, Gears of War, those 2 recent Transformers games and Bulletstorm come to mind for the landmark button.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee
@video_game_king said:

I'll begin with mine to see if it's any good:

Landmark Button

A button prompt that directs your view to a specific area/object in the environment. Think those L3 prompts from The Last of Us. I know I've seen this in other games (mostly American ones), but that's the most recent example that comes to mind.

The Gears of War & Uncharted series are notable for recurrently featuring that concept, too. Though as for this thread, it seems like it could maybe get a little muddled, with multiple conversations all happening at once surrounding different concept ideas. Obviously you can quote and reply to keep some structure, but still...

In any case if this thread does continue to exist, then I'd suggest that should a concept be finalised one way or the other, the original concept idea post should then be completely striked-through to show as such.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@video_game_king: @beachthunder: What about Demon's Souls for example? The game is largely devoid of music while exploring most areas before reaching bosses.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By Slag

Dramatic Silence

When an area deliberately has no music, usually before some big event/boss fight/whatever. I don't really have any good examples of this though. I know that there's a level in Dustforce that has no music though, that's all I have at the moment. Also, obviously, games that don't have any music whatsoever don't count.

I know what you mean, I'd be in favor of this being in the wiki.

I can't think of any game sin particular atm that use this, but I know I've definitely seen (well heard really or rather didn't hear) this multiple times as you said usually right before a boss encounter. I want to say it was/is more common in 2d side scrolling games for some reason. Maybe that's just where I've personally experienced it before.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

IIRC the newest Alice game also uses a Landmark Button, if we're making a list.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@slag said:
@beachthunder said:

Dramatic Silence

I can't think of any game sin particular atm that use this, but I know I've definitely seen (well heard really or rather didn't hear) this multiple times as you said usually right before a boss encounter. I want to say it was/is more common in 2d side scrolling games for some reason. Maybe that's just where I've personally experienced it before.

Resident Evil 2 & 4 had this as well. In RE2 the location's musical theme would cut to silence whenever one of the scripted ambushes of the Mr. X Tyrant was to occur. And in RE4, I know that it at the very least occurs when you have your first encounter with one of those Garradors -- the blind things with the two long claws.

Basically most horror games in general are likely to be connected to such a concept I'm sure.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@yummylee said:

@slag said:
@beachthunder said:

Dramatic Silence

Resident Evil 2 & 4 had this as well. In RE2 the location's musical theme would cut to silence whenever one of the scripted ambushes of the Mr. X Tyrant was to occur. And in RE4, I know that it at the very least occurs when you have your first encounter with one of those Garradors -- the blind things with the two long claws.

Basically most horror games in general are likely to be connected to such a concept I'm sure.

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember this happening in Dino Crisis and Parasite Eve. Do you remember if it did or didn't in those?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By mike

While your intentions were good, a catch-all thread for all proposals is counterproductive. As long as the topics are in the Editing & Tools forum, that's all that is needed. Once there is discussion about two or three different concepts in one thread, it's going to become completely unusable.