How moderation and the point system work

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By snide

Here's a another quickie faq going over the submissions system here.

The general submission / moderation flow

Basically, you guys are making tons of edits to the site. As new users, your submissions go to a general queue that the staff members look over and moderate. If your submission is approved, you earn points (varying based upon your content). Earn 1000 points and you no longer have to go through the moderation channels and can make live edits.

How long will it take my submissions to be looked at?

We're aiming for 24 hours, but well, lets just say... you guys love the bomb. We've got a HUGE amount of submissions that we're going through. Jeff and the boys are doing their best to take on this early flood of stuff. We're approving stuff by the order they were sent in. Have patience with us this first week. Most of you guys will get 1000 points soon enough and not have to worry about it anyway.

How can you help?

To keep the number submissions down. Please try and make all your content submissions for a page in one edit, instead of multiple ones. In the coming weeks, we'll be looking to the community for some trusty moderators to help out as well. However, we're no where near that point right now so please don't send us PMs volunteering just yet.

What are the most common reasons submissions are rejected?

1. Stealing content from other websites like Wikipedia
  2. Uploading Images that have watermarks
  3. Bad grammar and spelling
  4. You tried to add a page we already had, and didn't bother to browse for the page if it didn't show up in search.

Anything else to know?

1. We're continuing to optimize the performance of the site. Until then, it's prolly a good idea to keep a copy of your longer bios in a separate window just in case something... er blows up.
  2. Our editor sometimes freaks out on copy/pasted content. If you are copy pasting from a different document, please paste it into a regular .txt editor like notepad or textmate before posting. This will ensure any random HTML is not added into your submission.
peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By peewi

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have these FAQs stickied?

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By BlackWaterCO

cool, i'll do my best

But I have a question. Everytime I go to edit a page for Mercs2 etc. I cannot add stuff if there is nothing there

I wanna add locations and objects but when I pull up the edit page all I get is a search thing. Help me staffer dood

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Not_Rage

Iim just wondering: How do the points work? 1 point for 1 submission? Do you get more points for longer submissions? What about images?

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Malakhii

Nice post, answered some of my questions

gameshark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By gameshark5

thanks for posting it, i was wondering about that

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Hey come back dude!

PinkElephant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By PinkElephant

I was wondering how the points work too. If it's a point per submission, or even 10 points per submission, 1000 points isn't going to be an easy feat.

Good to know that we should try to do all edits in one submission. I separated a few of mine as I noticed certain things on pages, but I'll make sure to make them all in one go now.

Question: Is there a way to edit the box art? I noticed Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando has the box art for Ratchet & Clank: Locked & Loaded, for example, and couldn't figure out how to submit an edit for that.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b4a512bb9699
deactivated-5b4a512bb9699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Hopefully this will stop all the "I want to be a mod" topics

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shocker

Thanks!

peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By peewi
BlackWaterCO said:
"cool, i'll do my best

But I have a question. Everytime I go to edit a page for Mercs2 etc. I cannot add stuff if there is nothing there

I wanna add locations and objects but when I pull up the edit page all I get is a search thing. Help me staffer dood"

Use the sidebar to the left. It should show the sections that are empty.
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Lies
BlackWaterCO said:
"cool, i'll do my best

I wanna add locations and objects but when I pull up the edit page all I get is a search thing. Help me staffer dood"
Depends on your content. For example, I got 6 points for adding a few sentences into the Master Chief article, but I got 51 points for creating the MJOLNIR article, with pictures. depends on the quality I think.
piecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By piecat
Malakhii said:
"Nice post, answered some of my questions
"

Same here. Thanks for the info.
BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BlackWaterCO

okay, i'll let ya know if it works...if it does Peewi you rock

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, I would love to be a moderator who approves images/game information. Currently by going through some game libraries of images, there are a few images that are duplicated, really low quality, or even other images from other games in a certain games gallery.

I also think that the boxarts of all games could be improved greatly, slimming down the variations of boxarts. Like a multiplat game with the boxart for the PS3/360 version only, stuff like that could be streamlined I suppose.

But this was helpful though, perhaps you can go in depth a bit about the points though, I would like to know what generally equals what, you know.

Thanks for the QAF of sorts, sites shaping up good.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BlackWaterCO

yeah, thats not what I mean

I'll click on oh lets say "Locations' and then I click edit...and then the Luchodeer appears, and then it goes into edit mode but theres no Text box or anything, just a search thing saying "Search Locations" and its not in there. Help me Staff or users

Hyperesthesiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hyperesthesiac

Thank you, this answered some of my questions.

peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By peewi
BlackWaterCO said:
"yeah, thats not what I mean

I'll click on oh lets say "Locations' and then I click edit...and then the Luchodeer appears, and then it goes into edit mode but theres no Text box or anything, just a search thing saying "Search Locations" and its not in there. Help me Staff or users"
So you want to add a location that doesn't exist yet? Then it has be created first.
BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Why? That makes no sense. The idea is to add stuff

How do I create the Location then?

DappaDizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DappaDizzle

great this post was so needed thanks snide

AboveNBeyond3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By AboveNBeyond3

Useful Information indeed.

Lairdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lairdo

Oh dear, I didn't know taking wikipedia content wasn't allowed :(

OpusAngelorum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OpusAngelorum
BlackWaterCO said:
"

How do I create the Location then?

"
Browse > Locations > Add New Location
BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BlackWaterCO

thanks lady

Link909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Link909

are we allowed to post videos of games

This would be beneficial for people looking for information on games like Rock Band or Guitar Hero to show them what the note charts look like

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyperesthesiac said:

"Thank you, this answered some of my questions.
"

Your avatar = win. :D

Anyways like some have been saying, lately, can the main 3 consoles be added to the 'Main Boards' section?
CryingHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CryingHero
Just after doing a full Article on PGR3 and forgot to save it.. ah well, hopefully it'll filter through though.
Great post, thanks for informing us :D
BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Awesome, okay, NOW im good

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By banksrob

sounds good to me

richied0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By richied0

Thanks for the FAQ. Answered a few things I was curious about. Still that 1000 points thing seems an age away right now!

BoldFusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BoldFusion

I'm unsure letting people do live edits when they get 1000 points. That can be abused, but I guess anything can be. But is that the only thing points will be used for?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think once we hit 1000 points, then the mods/admins approve or deny us depending on our history... something like that.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By BoG

What about character additions and similar things? Do those take longer?
Also, will we get a message if something gets rejected? That would be nice.

greekgoat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By greekgoat91

If I want to write an entire article on the Wu-Tang Clan. what do I categorize that under?

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By ManlyBeast

Thanks a lot. Maybe sticky this....

MichaelScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MichaelScott

I really like being able to add screenshots. A lot of the game pages are kinda deprived of those, so its really cool. Thanks for the post Snide.

MichaelScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MichaelScott

Oops double post. Please delete.

JamesM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JamesM

What happens if someone submits something, then, before it's processed, someone else submits the same or similar? Presumably if the newer is obviously better it will replace the older, and if it's obviously worse it won't, but what if they both have strengths? Will the editors attempt to combine them, or is that beyond their job description? And how will points be handled in such situations? For example, I was reading the Tails article, and I noticed only two games were associated with it. "My my," I thought, "this could do with a little work." I started adding a whole load of stuff (all in one edit, incidentally), only to remember that edits take a while to process. I imagine that's a pretty high-profile page, so perhaps all my contributions had already been submitted. I'm not too bothered about the points thing right now, but it made me think of it, and it would be good to know how it works.

On a tangential note, should we avoid making too many submissions to really obvious articles? I imagine everyone's going for the really big franchises right now. Would it be more constructive to focus on more obscure articles? Or should we not really worry about that?

UnwiseDolphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By UnwiseDolphin

How do we cancel edits that we submitted, but are still pending (I forgot to add a comment). And also shouldn't forgetting to add a comment be a common reason for edit being rejected?

peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By peewi
riverbridge said:
"I'm unsure letting people do live edits when they get 1000 points. That can be abused, but I guess anything can be. But is that the only thing points will be used for?"
If you've got enough approved edits to get 1000 points, I think it's a safe bet that you aren't gonna fuck up stuff.
Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Good to know.

WhiteNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WhiteNoob

I'm pretty sure I broke one of those rules. Sorry... it won't happen again. Thanks for the thread. :)

MKLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MKLOL

Cool!!! :d

Caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By Caddy
riverbridge said:
"I'm unsure letting people do live edits when they get 1000 points. That can be abused, but I guess anything can be. But is that the only thing points will be used for?"
1000 points is some serious buisness. At that point, you have submitted A LOT of content and deserve to be able to bypass moderation. And really, anybody that gets over that will be trusted enough to be able to edit freely.
Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Foil_Charizard
JamesM said:
"What happens if someone submits something, then, before it's processed, someone else submits the same or similar? Presumably if the newer is obviously better it will replace the older, and if it's obviously worse it won't, but what if they both have strengths? Will the editors attempt to combine them, or is that beyond their job description? And how will points be handled in such situations? For example, I was reading the Tails article, and I noticed only two games were associated with it. "My my," I thought, "this could do with a little work." I started adding a whole load of stuff (all in one edit, incidentally), only to remember that edits take a while to process. I imagine that's a pretty high-profile page, so perhaps all my contributions had already been submitted. I'm not too bothered about the points thing right now, but it made me think of it, and it would be good to know how it works.

On a tangential note, should we avoid making too many submissions to really obvious articles? I imagine everyone's going for the really big franchises right now. Would it be more constructive to focus on more obscure articles? Or should we not really worry about that?
"
I really hope this gets addressed, i just spent an hour on a Bowser page and I really hope it does'n't get disqualified just because they beat me to it.
Wade_Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Wade_Wilson

I'm just happy the site is fairly self explanatory.

spartan168

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By spartan168

Thanks man :D

Killuminati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Killuminati
Richied said:
"Thanks for the FAQ. Answered a few things I was curious about. Still that 1000 points thing seems an age away right now!"
I see some people with 200 points already. If you can get 200 points in one day 1000 doesn't seem like a big deal after all.
Adrenaline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 170

User Lists: 39

#49  Edited By Adrenaline
PinkElephant said:
"Question: Is there a way to edit the box art? I noticed Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando has the box art for Ratchet & Clank: Locked & Loaded, for example, and couldn't figure out how to submit an edit for that."

Locked & Loaded is the European title of Going Commando.  It's a good idea to make sure your edits are correct before submitting them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah 1000 won't be too hard, I already have 20 something and I didn't even really start yet, it is like 3:00AM here in Egypt and I have yet to sleep, so once im awake im going to be pumping out content. :P