• 153 results
patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

Electronic Arts has a new idea for a gaming subscription service, and it's called EA Access. Currently exclusive to Xbox One, EA Access grants entry to a back catalog of EA games inside The Vault, a 10% discount on purchasing games and DLC digitally, and access to retail games five days before release.

No Caption Provided

Starting today, it's rolling out to Xbox One users, and signups occur through the EA Access Hub app.

Users can choose between a monthly ($4.99) or annual ($29.99) subscription fee, and the first wave of games loaded into the The Vault include Peggle 2, Battlefield 4, Madden NFL 25, and FIFA 14. Those games have been handpicked for the beta, however, and it's unclear if games in The Vault will stay for limited periods, rotate, or eventually have time limits associated with them. For now, it's unlimited, while EA sees how people respond to the program.

I have to imagine paying a few dollars to start playing Dragon Age: Inquisition nearly a week before release is going to be awfully tempting, especially since your progress will be saved. Any takers?

If successful, it's likely EA Access becomes available elsewhere, but no details on that just yet.

More specifics on EA Access are available through a FAQ on the company's website.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Haruko

This would be a great deal if you could pick which games you wanted instead of what they choose but O well.

Edit: Also LOL if they put NBA Live 14 on there.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

It's still too early into this cycle of consoles for me to be interested in something like this yet, but if EA publishes some quality RPGs and games I'm interested in over the next year or so, I could see getting it.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Problem is that EA isn't exactly throwing out games like Ubi or Activision are. I doubt that your going to see any vault titles beyond the beta that aren't sports games. EA just doesn't have enough on the docket, that they can start giving stuff away for $30 a year or $5 a month.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I have to imagine paying a few dollars to start playing Dragon Age: Inquisition nearly a week before release is going to be awfully tempting, especially since your progress will be saved. Any takers?

I say God Damn, God Damn, the pusher man.
I say God Damn, God Damn, the pusher man.

mintyice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring it to PC and you got a deal.

rebellion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like Origin would benefit from this program more than anything else. That thing is a wasteland and I hated booting it up to play Simcity.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Corvak

Everyone will sub for the month of November then cancel :P

For the record, the discount pays for the subscription after five full priced games. Remember when EA made games?

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CABBAGES

The 10% discount is pointless for digital downloads here in the UK as it will still be cheaper to buy them on disc.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might do this later in the year.

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they already have something like this don't they? I've paid £20 to play FIFA a week early the past few years

shameful i know

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RazielCuts

You would've thought EA would've started this through Origin first, y'know their own platform, to get people through the door? But with this, Titanfall and the FIFA XB1 launch bundle it seems EA sure were betting on MS this gen and contracts were probably signed a while ago.

Also I guess that means that no future EA games are going to be part of XB's Games with Gold subs? Or Playstation Plus if EA Access comes to Sony platforms. Paying for two subs instead of one if you want play any of these EA games online. Can you even download the EA Access games if you don't have Gold? I imagine you can because Netflix and all that went without the paywall but then this is slightly different..? Questions.

Mucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mucas

This is actually fantastic. I don't see how someone could not at least try this. Paying $5 right now and instantly having Battlefield, Fifa, and Madden?? I'm surprised EA!

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So they are just delaying games for a week so they can make people pay more?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By mike
Avatar image for vincentvendetta
VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

Seems like Origin would benefit from this program more than anything else. That thing is a wasteland and I hated booting it up to play Simcity.

And then you hated to play SimCity.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

How late are we talking to get a previous sports installment? If I can get access to sports titles 6 months past their release dates this would be a killer deal.

HarrySound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm guessing if you did start playing dragon age then you would have to buy the digital copy perhaps at a terrible price

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

I've always thought something like this would be smart for publishers. Curious to see how this pans out.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Was thinking of giving BF4 a whirl on the XBO. Will probably sign up for this for that at least.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By spraynardtatum

That sure is interesting. Hmmm...I don't know how to feel about this yet. I want to see where it moves over the next couple years.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forteexe21:

I don't know how you came to that conclusion.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

No thank you. I can't help but feel suspicious of any new plan like this when EA is behind the wheel.

vaultdweller13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lmitchell8075: Yea, especially for people like me who only play stuff like Battlefield for a couple weeks and then get bored of it anyways. That $5 I'd give them for a month of access is more than they'd see from me anyways.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Does this also mean that EA is going to relax their review embargo policy since people will be playing their games nearly a week before "release"?

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrickklepek said:

Would I pay $5 a month to get access to a demo of Dragon Age: Inquisition 5 days before release? Even with progress from the demo carrying over to the full game that is a massive step too far, not a chance I'll pay EA to normalise charging for demos.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Better idea, just release Peggle 2 on PC...on Steam...

And allow me to just pay for it once without having to sign up to a subscription service.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I'm in.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By AndrewB

Jesus fucking christ...

I'm just glad that most of the interesting games these days are being released from studios not attached to the worst of the olden-days major publishers. Unfortunately, that doesn't preclude them from being absorbed in the future.

The good thing is that I'm never one to harp over playing games late (mostly a PC gamer) and most DLC ranges from completely trivial to not entirely necessary to the core experience. I only ever buy significant DLC which would have been labelled an expansion pack in the days of olde. If it's a piece of content that is worth playing, I'm fine with paying a reasonable amount for it.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Paying to be a beta tester?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm down to get this. I would probably do the subscription, and pay to get Dragon Age anyway. Sounds like I get Madden, and NHL too. Neat. :D

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I pass on that pass. Ty.

Maitimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shame they didn't see fit to consider other platforms. Was cautiously optimistic.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By KaneRobot

No time to look at the full specifics now, but this seems like a good thing. Will check it out tonight and probably at least try it for a month. Battlefield 4 has always inspired a morbid curiosity from me.

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivoa said:

@patrickklepek said:

Would I pay $5 a month to get access to a demo of Dragon Age: Inquisition 5 days before release? Even with progress from the demo carrying over to the full game that is a massive step too far, not a chance I'll pay EA to normalise charging for demos.

but if you finish it you've just saved yourself $55

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hassun

Games as a subscription is something I completely hate.

No.

Adrian79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Adrian79

So is this basically Netflix for games? Am I understanding that right? Seems like a great deal if you can just pick and choose any (EA) game to play at anytime.

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38  Edited By vibratingdonkey

Not initially available in Sweden, but if/when it is, that 10% discount is going to be worthless. EA's digital pricing is insane. To actually get 10% off, they'd have to offer 23% off.

I've no interest in playing EA games on day one, much less day -5.

As a rental service it looks good though. $5 for a month is more than fair, especially when it's not limited to just one game. Wholly dependent on what games will be available. Currently there's none I'm interested in.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks pretty awesome. I'd love for this to be expanded to other platforms and see other publishers to do something similar.

This of course depends on the exact specifics. Very easy for them to mess it up.

micemoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely doing this for Dragon Age. Waiting for the catch though.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@wlleiotl said:
@shivoa said:

@patrickklepek said:

And if you think there is any possible way EA will let you finish that game without paying any money for it, you don't know a damn thing about EA.

PS: They've been doing this with Madden for years. You still have to buy it before they let you get it early.

taz88ny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By taz88ny

I would definitely do this is the newest version of Madden were always available. I usually buy it every year, so it would save me at least $30/year to subscribe. Early access and saving 10% on other games is a great bonus.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wlleiotl said:

@shivoa said:

@patrickklepek said:

They let you BUY it 5 days earlier :)

year199X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EA can barely release a finished product on their normal release schedule and they want me to pay $5 to play it even earlier?

That said this is actually a nifty idea, but I'm afraid of a future where all games will be accessed through subscription services similar to this one.

fragor87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is pretty much EA's Season Ticket but extended out to other games EA publishes.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'll probably try it out for a month

Strychnine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAH!

No.

fargofallout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a bad idea, but I don't care about anything EA has released since Mass Effect 3, and there isn't anything in the near future I care about other than maybe Dragon Age.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already have PS plus. That is enough.

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kmg90

Read the fine print people, this is Trojan horse to get people to pay for access to game early (you could easily call it a demo or trial as you have LIMITED TIME OF ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAMES, ie 2 HOURS) and to get people to buy digital to make look like it's cheap to go digital when they are just getting you to pay money so you can pay somewhat less money for a games that are cheaper elsewhere.