EDSR successor, Shadow of the Eternals, to be crowd-funded

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

So, Eternal Darkness might just have spiritual successor! They have a teaser-trailer now. (No embed) But, they're gonna start crowd-funding starting Monday, May 6th.

No Caption Provided

Polygon: Eternal Darkness spiritual sucessor teased, reveal and crowdfunding campaign launch May 6

Since it is crowd-funded, I wonder if it'll reach PC only. Like,next-gen consoles would be cool! And I'm guessing they might not be using Kickstarter, since they didn't really say it.. And:

According to a tweet from IGN's Rich George, Silicon Knights' president Denis Dyack is involved in development for Shadow of the Eternals.

Right, so that's where you can go donate: http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wrighteous86

Many former Silicon Knights staffers have mentioned that the only reason Eternal Darkness turned out as well as it did was because Nintendo kept cracking the whip and carrying the team through rough spots.

Most of Silicon Knights other games speak to this, especially their more recent output. Not to mention that almost none of that team is still associated with or willing to associate with Dyack.

I loved Eternal Darkness, but anyone that thinks contributing to a Denis Dyack led Kickstarter is just throwing away their money.

The only company that can make a worthy sequel to Eternal Darkness is Nintendo (maybe through Retro?), and since I believe they own the IP, they can (but probably won't).

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Reading about how they misused funds meant for other games to try to make ED2 makes me want to never want to support Dyack ever again.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

I've wanted a sequel or a spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness for years, but only if Nintendo can keep Silicon Knights in check.

By the way, it looks like it's going to be available on Wii U and PC if it ever gets released, possibly other platforms.

Avatar image for deactivated-650f737f2e2d5
deactivated-650f737f2e2d5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Count me among those that loved Eternal Darkness. My heart really wants a sequel to that game, but my brain tells me that Dyack absolutely can not be trusted. Like, at all.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By Daneian

Denis Dyack lol.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cloudenvy

@silentpredator said:

Count me among those that loved Eternal Darkness. My heart really wants a sequel to that game, but my brain tells me that Dyack absolutely can not be trusted. Like, at all.

Your brain and mine think alike. I'm happy that this is at least happening, but I have zero hope in a Dyack project turning out well.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Giving money to Dyack is a bad idea.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#9  Edited By ManMadeGod
caffeinezebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By caffeinezebra
Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@caffeinezebra: Haha! Same font! Ohh..

Btw, why is Precursor Games going Wii U and PC first? Like, who's deciding this Nintendo fandom? I mean I don't think Nintendo's gonna die off in 5 years, but 6 maybe?.

caffeinezebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My guess- they developed a prototype to try to get Nintendo to back it as Eternal Darkness: Gates of Twilight, but Nintendo turned it down, so they took what they made and crowd funded it. This would explain why in the IGN demo, the UI is already WiiU ready (with button prompts and such)

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

My guess- they developed a prototype to try to get Nintendo to back it as Eternal Darkness: Gates of Twilight, but Nintendo turned it down, so they took what they made and crowd funded it. This would explain why in the IGN demo, the UI is already WiiU ready (with button prompts and such)

That's exactly what happened. And I think they are hoping that if there's a strong consumer response, that Nintendo will fund it.