Why I love Eternal Sonata!

cat5676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By cat5676

Eternal Sonata has all ways been my favorite game. This game was one of the first JRPG's that I have finished so that is one of the reasons I love this game. I also love the story in this game the ending is just so thought provoking. By the way I am a girl and happen to love the main characters dress and hair. Speaking of that I love how beautiful the games art is and the music is nice also. But I guess some people don't like this game and I am just wondering why people have to be so mean to this game. The main reason may be because most of them where guys playing the game and just didn't like playing as a extremely cute girl. But us girls have got to have some cute girly games too, just like Eternal Sonata.

Ohhh Eternal Sonata I just wish people would stop hating on you and let people find out for them selfs how great of a game you are.

But any ways I would suggest this game if you like a good story that makes you think at the end. I absolutely LOVE the ending. Also if you like this art style. Most people that I have seen also really do not like the battle system. I personally only really play RPGs so I just ignore all of the battling but they did have some cool looking bosses.

Sorry for the random thoughts just had to do this thanks if you read it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Never finished it, but I really liked what I played. A fun, evolving combat system, beautiful music, a great art style. The story was intriguing but super slow in the beginning.

I always wanted to go back but never did. Just couldn't commit to lengthy games like that anymore. Regardless, I still think it's one of the best traditional RPG's of last gen.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

@secondpersonshooter has a pretty good explanation of its issues somewhere.

EDIT: OK, to say something that isn't particularly mean - I actually do like the art style somewhat and I think the idea of telling a story about Chopin while he's on his deathbed is fascinating. Unfortunately, the details I've gathered about this game makes it seem like it fumbled all of its interesting aspects and so I've never looked into it. Would I like to at some point? Perhaps, but I have a pretty big backlog of other games and I don't need to add a "maybe" game to the pile, especially one that's likely to be thirty plus hours long.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

"ignore all of the battling"? That's most of the game!

I've played through maybe half or more of the game, but didn't continue for whatever reason. I don't remember hating it. There were definitely quite a few faults here and there, but it was still enjoyable.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ThunderSlash

I once had to choose between buying either Eternal Sonata or Resonance of Fate, I chose the latter. That might've been a mistake (I wouldn't know since the game I bought is still in its shrink wrap).

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

more like eternal son-yawn-ta

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I once had to choose between buying either Eternal Sonata or Resonance of Fate, I chose the latter. That might've been a mistake (I wouldn't know since the game I bought is still in its shrink wrap).

Nope. Resonance of Fate is in most ways much better than Eternal Monotony... I mean Sonata.

Eternal Sonata is OK at times, and egregiously awful at others. The potentially interesting theme of the final thoughts going through Chopin's head on his deathbed is ultimately wasted when most of the plot is some generic bad guys trying to take over some tedious fantasy world with magic powder or something. Combat is interesting, but actively gets worse as the game goes on and introduces more and more unnecessary mechanics. The character design is colorful and interesting, but hampered by the stiffest voice acting and animation I've ever been witness to. The music is its one flawless quality, and that's because it's just straight-up the best of Chopin.

Its biggest fault is that it takes itself seriously. VERY seriously. There's a character we barely know, but are supposed to care about who dies about two hours in, and (I shit you not) it monologues and flashbacks for close to ten freaking minutes after getting stabbed and before dying. It's really quite ridiculous and completely severed any emotional attachment I might have had for the character. I was ROFLing well before it finally stopped.

Resonance of Fate has myriad problems as well, but far superior combat and progression, and a more interesting, though at times incredibly vague narrative. It also does not take itself seriously at all.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mwng

@believer258 said:

It's still one of my favorite threads on all of Giant Bomb.

But yeah, Eternal Tomato wasn't bad, I managed to finish it, and it's stupid optional dungeon. Which is tantamount to it's not badness, else I'd have dropped it. Music was nice, game looked pretty, some of the combat was fun, and you can tell people you played a game based on Chopin and look all intellectual. Still, I'm pleased you enjoyed it enough to make a thread to remind me of it.

My favorite thing about the game though is the end; where it just fades to black, and the only way to advance is to reset the console, or take the disc out. Like, I'd not played a game that did that since the Megadrive or something.

(Also as mentioned above, I'd take Resonance of Fate over it any day).

Edit: I found the map for the optional dungeon, no wonder I blocked it from memory...

No Caption Provided

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played until they made the combat real time, even while you were thinking of what to do.

Got too intense for me lol. Beautiful game tho!!!!!!!!!!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

@mwng said:

@believer258 said:

It's still one of my favorite threads on all of Giant Bomb.

But yeah, Eternal Tomato wasn't bad, I managed to finish it, and it's stupid optional dungeon. Which is tantamount to it's not badness, else I'd have dropped it. Music was nice, game looked pretty, some of the combat was fun, and you can tell people you played a game based on Chopin and look all intellectual. Still, I'm pleased you enjoyed it enough to make a thread to remind me of it.

My favorite thing about the game though is the end; where it just fades to black, and the only way to advance is to reset the console, or take the disc out. Like, I'd not played a game that did that since the Megadrive or something.

(Also as mentioned above, I'd take Resonance of Fate over it any day).

Edit: I found the map for the optional dungeon, no wonder I blocked it from memory...

No Caption Provided

That doesn't look so bad. I've played through dungeons that were far more confusing.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By elko84

I finished this game as well. I enjoyed it. The music is really the best part.

Battle Music

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I didn't realize this game was so divisive. I really like it, the battle system is fun, the story does enough with its fantastic premise and obviously the music is brilliant. I've always meant to play the upgraded PS3 port but haven't gotten around to it yet.