CEO 2014 Preview (June 27-29) + FighterMania & E3 fighting games round-up!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Edited By FLStyle

No Caption Provided

CEO 2014 (and FighterMania II) Preview!

http://www.ceogaming.org/

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Streams and schedule

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomfighters

http://www.twitch.tv/ceogaming

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

http://www.twitch.tv/funkyp

or

http://kbmod.com/multistream/view/?s0=capcomfighters&s1=ceogaming&s2=vgbootcamp&s3=funkyp&layout=9

Featured Games

Official EVO 2014 titles - Ultra Street Fighter IV, Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Super Smash Bros Melee, Killer Instinct Injustice Gods Among Us, Blazblue ChronoPhantasma, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and King Of Fighters XIII

Plus Project M, Soul Calibur V, Capcom vs. SNK 2, DiveKick: Addition Edition, Persona 4 Arena

Schedule

FRIDAY- Doors open at 10AM for Casuals. Badge Pickup Starts Thursday from 7pm until 9 pm and then Friday morning at 9 am all day.

Any announced official Team Tournaments or Official Tournaments with 32 pre-regs or less will be begin at 2 pm EST as well as Side Tournaments Announced in advance

8 PM - FIGHTERMANIA II Exhibition Event

Doors Close at Midnight

SATURDAY- Doors Will open at 9 AM. Official Tournament Pools will begin at 10 Am Sharp and go throughout the day. Some Games will have their Finals Played out Saturday evening Starting at 5 pm EST

SUNDAY- Doors Open at 10 AM for any unfinished Pools/Semi-Finals Etc and Casuals Throughout the day

CEO 2014 Will conclude by 11 PM EST on Sunday Evening

----------

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Pools Begin Saturday 10 am Semi Finals 8 pm Saturday Night, Top 16 Finals Sunday at 6PM

Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 Pools Begin Saturday 10 am, Semi Finals Sunday Morning at 11 AM, Top 8 Finals Sunday 4 Pm

Injustice Gods Among Us Pools Begin Saturday 10 AM Semi Finals 6 PM Saturday Top 8 Finals 10AM Sunday

Super Smash Bros Melee Pools Begin Saturday 10 AM Semi Finals Begin Sunday Morning 11am Top 8 Finals Sunday 2 PM

Project M Pools Begin Saturday 10 AM Semi Finals- 6 PM Top 8 Finals Sunday 12 Noon

Blazblue ChronoPhantasma Pools Begin Saturday 10 AM Top 8 Finals Saturday 7 PM

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Pools Begin 10 AM Saturday Top 4 Finals 5 PM

Soul Calibur V Pools Begin Friday 2 pm Top 4 Finals Friday 4 PM

King Of Fighters XIII Pools Begin Friday 2 PM Top 8 Finals 5 PM Friday

Capcom Vs Snk 2 Pools Begin Friday 2 PM Finals 5 PM Friday

DiveKick Pools Begin Saturday Top 8 5 pm Saturday

Killer Instinct Pools Begin Saturday Top 8 Saturday 9PM

Persona 4 Arena Official Side Tournaments, Pools Begin FRIDAY 2 pm Top 4 Finals 4 PM Friday

------------------------

Welcome to the CEO 2014 Preview blog! If you're never seen CEO before, check out http://www.ceogaming.org/about

For the past few years, CEO has become so much more than the last stop before EVO, it's definitely as much of a show than it is a set of tournaments. Whether it's the boxing ring, the wrestling steel cage or the general crazy stuff that happens in and around it. In charge of CEO is Alex Jebailey, known in Divekick as Jefailey, who since the last CEO has gotten himself a job in the video game industry as the community manager of Dave Lang's own Iron Galaxy! Well done him!

For the 2nd CEO in a row FighterMania returns! This wrestling-style event takes place on Friday prior to the tournaments and has plenty of cool events going on.

UMVC3 6-Man Money-In-The-Bank Ladder Match

16-Man Project M Free For All Last Man Standing

Edition Select Mode Thirty Man USF4 Royal Rumble

Rules and reg for these sure to be nuts matches - http://ceogaming.org/blog/archive/211-ceofm2014

Any tournament that uses Edition Select is OK with me. That's the one I'm looking forward to, Vanilla Sagats, AE Yuns but the concept of the Royal Rumble is the bit that's the best. I'm looking forward to some big winning streaks before the end.

As for the tournaments themselves, I'm looking forward to the Tekken TAG 2 finals on Saturday and then the big finals day on Sunday, it's going to be action packed to say the least. I do hope the top 8 finals have entrance themes again.

News

E3! It was a thing!

Mortal Kombaaaaaaaat

Mortal Kombat X looks amazing! I've seen quite a few E3 interviews with Ed Boon, but Giant Bomb's was just as good as anyone else's, check it out.

I added the current roster's variation styles to the MKX GB wiki page for anyone curious. I'll have more opinions and info for MKX as it becomes available.

This might just be the Smash version of the EVO 2k4 Daigo 3s Parry! (With a Capcom Character ironically) https://t.co/l2J6pEUW4h

— Alex Jebailey (@CEOJebailey) June 18, 2014

The following video from a tweet from who else but Alex Jebailey. It was from the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U invitational tournament, hosted by Nintendo, which was viewed by over 250,000 people and thousands of Nintendo fans in attendance. It had no right to be as fun as it was, only last year Nintendo attempted to block EVO for having its Melee tournament last year, then they announced Geoff Keighley as the host.

I assumed Geoff didn't have any competitive Smash Bros. knowledge but thankfully his host role didn't need any, he introed the players, worked the crowd and in general did a decent job while resident Smash Bros. community commentators Wynton 'Prog' Smith, D'Ron 'D1' Maingrette and Bobby 'Scar' Scarnewman provided a good insight into the crowd and the Twitch chat's excitement.

The entire show is here if you want to give it a watch. It was my favourite piece of content from the big 3 at E3.

No Caption Provided

What do you think of this early tier list for USF4 from France's own Alioune. I'm surprised to see Dhalsim bottom tier, hopefully he'll rise up a bit as players get more used to USF4. Yun being top tier again is pretty funny, though I doubt Ultra Yun is as strong as AE Yun, I really hope he isn't. We should find out in the coming month how accurate this chart is.

TJ Combo looks pretty cool and here's an interview by Max with Divekick creator and KI season 2 lead combat designer, Adam 'Keits' Heart.

Arc System Works were also at E3, check out these trailers for Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax -

That's it from me for a few week's, I'll be back for the EVO 2014 preview (July 11-13), see you then!

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#1 rmanthorp  Moderator

AWWW YEAH! Great job on the thread once again man.

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT!

I'm excited for the final stop. I'm gonna see if we can get /chat up for this if the weekend is free - I'm glad they moved over to Ultra (last I heard it was 2012) but tbh I'm most excited to see KOF and Project M. Think we will see any MKX news?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I had a feeling that Juri was always good, just no one actually played her. Now with the buffs she got... I dunno man, it might be time for me to sink some time into her.

I'm excited about CEO, I'm always hyped to see KoF13 (Even if I'm awful at it).

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By hmoney001

I'm pretty hype for this. Jebailey always brings the fun. I want more Mike Ross tearing down the cage.

Loading Video...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Fredchuckdave

CEO is fine and all but the SEA major was kind of a much bigger deal as far as Street Fighter's concerned and is somehow absent from this thread, pretty sure it's going to replay on twitch today at some point, but a pretty good preview of EVO for Ultra; ~12 of the top 20 players in the world while CEO might have like 7-8 of the top 30 or so.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: The time that goes into these blogs vs. the amount of people that will read this blog and then watch the event it previews is my priority. The amount of Giant Bomb users who'll watch CEO will be more than the amount of GB users who stayed up until the early hours of the morning to watch SEA.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also worth noting the MLG Championships this weekend include Injustice and Killer Instinct.

Good call, I just watched Justin Wong win KI, the MLG production and set-up was as meh as it usually is for fighting games but happy for Justin.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SEA Rebroadcast is up here. Tokido vs. Xian atm, not even one of the better matches.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great work as usual, @flstyle. You're a hype man extraordinaire.

Giant Bomb is lucky to have you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:

@historyinrust said:

Also worth noting the MLG Championships this weekend include Injustice and Killer Instinct.

Good call, I just watched Justin Wong win KI, the MLG production and set-up was as meh as it usually is for fighting games but happy for Justin.

The MLG setup for Injustice was a complete farce.

One five-to-six minute match, cut to thirty-plus minutes of Pizza Hut advertisements, then one more match, then more advertisements.

Injustice had 73 entrants. On Saturday, over a six hour period, only ten matches were shown on-stream.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@historyinrust: It was decidedly meh sir, how dare you suggest it was anything worse than that. Floe will attest to the magnificence of MLG's production quality.

On a more serious note between Saturday and Sunday they seem to have acquired that annoying anti-adblock shit so I just stopped watching.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@historyinrust: It was decidedly meh sir, how dare you suggest it was anything worse than that. Floe will attest to the magnificence of MLG's production quality.

Hah. I'd read something amazing like security had been called on him by one of the more high-profile Injustice players.

The drama is so real it hurts.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FLStyle
mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'll setup a chat, but may be in the midst of a world cup stupor thru the early morning :)

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Man, has anyone looked at the way Cassie Cage animates? She moves like a fucking Robot Chicken character. Oh NRS when will you hire good animators?

As far as Alioune's tier list, lolol at Dan and Hakan being below Dee-Jay. At-a-glance Poison should be lower, Gief and Vega should be higher, Dan and Hakan should be much higher, Ken should be lower? I dunno, time will tell I guess.

Oh yeah, great writeup as per usual.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: Poison seems like the best out of the new characters thus far, non Jwong region. Also a Ken player is like the 3rd or 4th favorite to win EVO at this point, doesn't mean Ken's good but maybe he's a little better than people think. Agreed on Zangief and Vega, no clue about Dan.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good news everyone! Ryan Hart has picked up an as of yet unannounced sponsor and will be attending CEO and EVO, hurray! I predict high finishes in both for Hart's Sagat and Yun.

@fredchuckdave: Agreed on Poison and Ken, looking pretty strong.

Man, has anyone looked at the way Cassie Cage animates? She moves like a fucking Robot Chicken character. Oh NRS when will you hire good animators?

As far as Alioune's tier list, lolol at Dan and Hakan being below Dee-Jay. At-a-glance Poison should be lower, Gief and Vega should be higher, Dan and Hakan should be much higher, Ken should be lower? I dunno, time will tell I guess.

Oh yeah, great writeup as per usual.

Ta. I'm getting the impression that Dee jay was the secret worst in the game now that conversations about Hugo are not as strong.

@mrpibb said:

I'll setup a chat, but may be in the midst of a world cup stupor thru the early morning :)

As an Englishman I can only wish I was capable of such a mental state. At least I don't have to put up with them embarrassing themselves anymore this world cup.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@flstyle: Ryan Hart has been looking really strong, would not be surprised at a top 8 EVO finish. I'm assuming Infilitration will be at CEO so would be an interesting final, seems to be a different guy vs Infiltration every major tournament lately. I'd really like a dark horse such as Snakeeyez to do extremely well at EVO to make it more interesting, but kind of seems like we're primed for another heavily eastern players top 8.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@fredchuckdave: Yeah, but Momochi's strong showing at SEA Major had nothing to do with any buffs Ken got and everything to do with Momochi being a stone-cold killer.

I agree that Poison seems strongest overall out of the new characters, or at least the most well-rounded. Elena's footsies are bananas. I'm just not sure what Poison actually does. Her normals are ok but not as good as they look. Her damage output is above average if you can deal with the fact that everything is a 1-frame link. Her zoning is meh outside of meaty Fierce fireball on wakeup. Her DP is ass.

I want her to be good but I dunno. To me she feels like Rose with slightly better damage potential and slightly worse everything else.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@starvinggamer: Conceptually even though Ken's buffs haven't necessarily impacted his success (though they did have some amount of noticeable impact at SEA, obviously Momochi did most of the work but Ken appears to be perfectly viable) the playstyle of Ultra tends to favor more aggressive, high damage combo type of characters like Evil Ryu, Sakura, and Yun; and while Ken is not quite as good as they are at burst damage he's still pretty good at that aspect even if other parts of his game are weaker, thus Ken can and has benefitted from that shift. Additionally playing a perceived as below average character or playstyle in any game and performing extremely well with it can create a sort of aura of intimidation, just by demonstrating how viable that character can be. It definitely factored in Xian's success at EVO last year and even the subsequent nerfbat to Gen in Ultra.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hassun

Momochi went full murderface at SEA.

EVO is going to be so hype with a relatively new game like this. I hope all the killers get there. Sako, Kazunoko, Momochi, etc.

@fredchuckdave Ryan Hart's new sponsor is Team Dignitas.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sanford Kelly showed off a pretty impressive Ken vs Smug (around 2:35:00 in the VOD) yesterday at NLBC, also some very strong Decapre play from some dude I've never seen before (Damdai).

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sanford Kelly showed off a pretty impressive Ken vs Smug (around 2:35:00 in the VOD) yesterday at NLBC, also some very strong Decapre play from some dude I've never seen before (Damdai).

Damdai is a Super Street Fighter II Turbo legend, isn't a big fan of the SF4 series.

Jesna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damdai is a top Super Turbo player. Won the 25th anniversary Capcom event and everything.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@jesna: @flstyle: Even more remarkable than that, he appears to be white! Granted maybe the mysterious demographic shift happened after the SF2 era.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FLStyle
No Caption Provided

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Twitter user spotted an error in that image which Jebailey has clarified. Ultra SF4 top 32 to 16 does not start at 12PM because the pools only finish at 5PM. 32-16 starts at 6:30PM.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember that -outside of a possible rebroadcast- Capcomfighters does not allow you to watch archived events without paying them for it. Better watch USFIV when you can.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle Thank you sir. Time for some KoF watching. Are the times in PST even though it's in Orlando?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FLStyle

@flstyle Thank you sir. Time for some KoF watching. Are the times in PST even though it's in Orlando?

I think it's EST, not sure, we'll have to play it by ear.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: It is in EST just off schedule I guess.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CvS2 starting up at the CEOGaming channel!

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

I tuned in to the CvS2 stream and saw a literal "Draw Game" due to timeout. I didn't think such a thing was possible.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was some good CVS2! Calling it a night, will catch up on the FighterMania tournaments tomorrow.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just seen the archive from last night to see that the Ultra Royal Rumble didn't happen because of internet problems, sad times. Tune in 10PM (not AM as James Chen incorrectly stated on the stream) EST today to watch it then instead.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fredchuckdave

The official Cammy tournament? Aside from Kbrad rarely see Cammy in top 8's though.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The official Cammy tournament? Aside from Kbrad rarely see Cammy in top 8's though.

I loved watching TampaBison, if only he'd have used some more of Bison's USF4 tech!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@flstyle: Yeah he almost beat Balrog who is probably favored to get at least top 3 or 4; though TampaBison was in the CEO top 8 last year as well.

Elena's Healing always seems so terrible, but maybe people just haven't figured out how to use it correctly yet.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for tuning in to CEO 2014, fun times were had!

Roll on EVO!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anwar said:

Can't find the royal rumble archive, does anyone have a link?

To my knowledge it never happened, Friday didn't run on time so it was moved to Saturday night and then Saturday didn't run on time so they cancelled it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's the weirdest match from CEO if people missed it:

Loading Video...