#1 Edited by cloudnineboya (845 posts) -
  • was going to buy fallout 3 on steam but there is a 'not compatible optimized with windows 7' warning. anyone played this on w7 is there real issues playing, was looking forward to trying and actually finish this game this time.
#2 Posted by DeeGee (2143 posts) -

@cloudnineboya: It worked perfectly fine for me on Windows 7.

Well, as good as any Fallout game can work, anyway. They are notoriously buggy.

#3 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

it works alright, the issues that you might come across probably has more to do with the game as it's a buggy "mess"(like @deegee said). Mostly in a good way

#4 Edited by cloudnineboya (845 posts) -

@deegee: @zeforgotten: cool thanks, was disappointed when i saw the warning, wow the game still has bugs thought maybe the pc version would be better! oh well gonna get it anyways.

#5 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@deegee: @zeforgotten: cool thanks, was disappointed when i saw the warning, wow the game still has bugs thought maybe the pc version would be better! oh well gonna get it anyways.

Take the bugs out of a Bethesda game and it won't be fun anymore! :P

#6 Posted by Dauthi693 (130 posts) -

It says "Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7" basicly it was released before wondows 7 was released so couldn't be put on the supported os list as it wasn't out.

It more a warning for a few OS down the line that some workrounds might be needed.

As for Fallout 3 on windows 7 i think i've done it i've definately played fallout:new vegas in windows 7 without issues (except it being a Bethesda game so ofc expect bugs).

#7 Posted by cloudnineboya (845 posts) -

@zeforgotten: true dat, gonna ask a dumb question but is las vegas a stand alone game?

#8 Edited by Gnubberen (785 posts) -

I've had some issues with it randomly crashing to desktop on Window 7. Sometimes I would be fine for a couple of hours, and other times it would die after 20 minutes of play. I think though it might be more related to the game not liking my newer hardware.

#9 Edited by gike987 (1780 posts) -
@Gnubberen said:

I've had some issues with it randomly crashing to desktop on Window 7. Sometimes I would be fine for a couple of hours, and other times it would die after 20 minutes of play. I think though it might be more related to the game not liking my newer hardware.

This is just how Fallout 3 is. That was my experience when playing through the game at release (Fallout 3 crashed even for me more than Fallout NV did, it's the most unstable game I have ever played).

#10 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@cloudnineboya: New Vegas is completely separate (I played Fallout 3 on Xbox and New Vegas on Steam). As for that game's stability, I played for about 50 hours and the only bugs I saw were within the game environment itself. No lockups or crashes to desktop, but the occasional NPC doing something dumb.

#11 Posted by Gnubberen (785 posts) -

@gike987 said:
@Gnubberen said:

This is just how Fallout 3 is. That was my experience when playing through the game at release (Fallout 3 crashed even for me more than Fallout NV did, it's the most unstable game I have ever played).

Well back when I played it on Windows Xp, with older hardware, I didn't have that issue. But then again, maybe I had a bug that prevented it from crashing randomly. :P

#12 Posted by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

@cloudnineboya: If you have a quad core processor, you might run into an issue where the game freezes every ten minutes or so. While I don't have the exact link right now (mobile), there is a mod that fixes the problem. Look up "Fallout 3 quad core fix" or something similar and it should show up.

#13 Posted by cloudnineboya (845 posts) -

@banefirelord: and you are right it does keep freezing , i am updating NET.framework now i got a warning when i installed so hopefully this will help if not then i will try the workaround.