Fallout 4 first playthrough w/, w/out mods?

UrbanSanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By UrbanSanta

Poll Fallout 4 first playthrough w/, w/out mods? (314 votes)

I'm playing vanilla for my first playthrough 82%
I'm gonna wait for mods to come in 4%
I'll put some mods here and there during my first playthrough 14%

Fallout 4 is around the corner and mods are sure to pop up in the first hours or so of launch. What is your plan to deal with mods?

• 
GhostHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The UI is the only thing that I want a replacement for right away. Its just so boring, flat and ugly.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well apart from the nude mod i usually play these games vanilla. After a while im installing graphic mods to try and get the game to look good but the only thing that happens is the game eventually gets to heavy for my rig to run and still looks but ugly and then i stop playing (at around the 100h mark).

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

Similar to most moddable games I play, unless there's a mod which substantially improves my ability to play the game with no cost to authenticity I usually go vanilla for the first playthrough. Now, cheats, that's a whole other story sometimes.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'll throw in the occasional mod as I go. There won't be many since it's going to be at launch. Later on I will do a second playthough with it modded to hell and back.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I'm definitely waiting to see what mod support is going to be like since Bethesda is opting to use Bethesda.net and not Steam Workshop. I am skeptical to say the least.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Never any mods for the first playthough. I don't even know if I'll use mods for this one. How they're going to distribute them or allow them to be distributed is still up in the air.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Vanilla, of course.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll start the playthrough but will most likely get bored halfway through like with all Bethesda games after Morrowind, then the frantic modding begins. I am really hoping I won't get bored with this one though, that would be great.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need those clean faces.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on what needs fixing. The only mods I used in 3 and NV were a mod to fix the green/brown haze over everything, a mod to make the UI more mouse-friendly, and a radio station mod to bring more music into the game. From everything I've seen it looks like the first problem's fixed in 4, but I expect the latter two are going to be an issue down the line. I'm definitely starting the game launch day, so I figure I'll look into UI and radio mods as they become available.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there is a "turn giant bugs into bears" mod on day one, I will absolutely install that.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@rethla said:

Well apart from the nude mod i usually play these games vanilla. After a while im installing graphic mods to try and get the game to look good but the only thing that happens is the game eventually gets to heavy for my rig to run and still looks but ugly and then i stop playing (at around the 100h mark).

Gotta get those clean faces.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: I'm sure the nexus modding community will support the game

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna play vanilla the first time through mainly because it takes close to a year before any quality mods come out. You also, ideally, want to wait til they stop patching the game and release dlc. Otherwise, it will cause headaches down the line.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Vanilla. I really doubt there will be any great mods in week one.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No mods.

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mods! I'll be waiting at least until I'm done with Just Cause 3 to pick this up so any essential UI/encumberance mods should be out and fully working by then.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ivdamke

I've still yet to play a Bethesda game without mods. Every time I try but every time Bethesda manages to put some hugely annoying jank or shitty animation that I have to mod it myself to fix it. Skyrim I had to fix the terrible duel wielding animation transitions and stance within 1 hour of that games release it bugged me that much.

I'm hoping Fallout 4 will be the first game to prevent me from doing that. It's looking like it will actually play well which will be a first for a Bethesda game but man oh man some of those facial animations are going to get to me.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

why would anyone wait for mods? the best mods usually don't come out until months later

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Play until you get bored, then use mods.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ZolRoyce

I basically play all Bethesda games like this, no mod, no cheat run on a console, sell the game, at some point in the future re-buy the game on Steam during a sale with all of the goty/dlc content and modmodmodmodmodmodmodmodmodmodnudemodmod away, because by the time its up for a sale on Steam its usually been long enough that there are some pretty great mods.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By alwaysbebombing

Will the PS4 have mods? Either way, I play sweet vanilla.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've already made up my mind that I'm not gonna use any mods this time around.

I'm sick of overvaluing Bethesda games because they have MOD SUPPORT! YAY.

I spent more time modding Skyrim than actually playing it.

Either Fallout 4 is worth my time vanilla, or not at all.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will the PS4 have mods? Either way, I play sweet vanilla.

Eventually. I would only really care about an encumbrance mod anyway.

lachrymoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I find out the dog gets hurt or killed I will mod him into a giant spider or something rather than deal with that.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@brundage said:

why would anyone wait for mods? the best mods usually don't come out until months later

Mods make everything better as well as fix the most obvious glitches that Bethesda doesn't get to. But, your second point is correct. The first crop of worthwhile mods won't be out for a couple of months after release. I don't think I can wait that long, so chances are I'll play a bunch "vanilla" and then add mods for later created characters. I honestly don't believe I will finish the game for years to come as I keep modding my Bethesda games and restarting with new characters.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really care about the "vanilla experience". If something needs improving and I can do that via mods then I'll for sure do it. That said I doubt there will be much of anything worthwhile before I can get through most of my first play through. My pc isn't really good enough for extensive graphics mods which leaves mostly gameplay stuff and I don't think there is gonna be a ton of that stuff for awhile.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Darson

I'm surprised no one has really said the option of "I would if I could" because there probably won't be sophisticated enough mods around launch to really affect your first playthrough to warrant this question. That's as far as true gameplay tweaking/altering mods go at least.

strikerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vanilla, maybe install an unofficial patch if that comes out early.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

If a game can't stand on it's own, it isn't worth my time. I'm pretty confident Fallout 4 is going to be great, at least for me, so no problems there.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Marz

gonna play it day 1, i doubt there will be any significant mods released in the first few weeks.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt anything meaningful will be out in the first few weeks anyway. Maybe I'll get a graphical or UI mod if that goes anywhere quick though.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Unless there's a quest that's like the Stones of Barenziah in Skyrim where you have to find them all on your own with no map markers, I'll be going in vanilla.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vanilla, plus whatever mods fix the inevitable bugs and weirdness of a Bethesda game if official patches come to slow. Something to make the menus work better with a mouse, since that'll probably be jacked up in vanilla as well.

I'll "player.modav carryweight 1000" immediately, because encumbrance isn't a fun mechanic.

joetom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure I'll install some texture mods if anything comes out, improved lighting engine, stuff like that. Although I imagine something like that will be a little bit.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By matatat

I don't think I've seriously tried to play through a game with mods. The only exception is Dark Souls because I wanted high res graphics on my PC play through and me and my buddy wanted to coop so we had the one that goes preference to friends list users. Other than that I'm usually just fucking around with stuff.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The mod kit wont be out till next year. So if youre buying day one there likely wont be any mods to get. Not sure off hand what is easily modifiable without their kit. Im sure as shit not waiting on a mod to play this game!

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

As a guy who is getting on console I want to see how the mods on console thing is going to work. It sounds interesting and reading up on it, they are talking like they are going to be very open when it comes to what they will allow in the game. I'm curious to see how it manifests in the game.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BladedEdge

Under the assumption that the console(on pc) will be active, thus allowing me to 'fix' any annoyance issues (i.e weight limit? What's that?) It's been said. If you must have a string of mods to make a game like this playable..then your gonna be waiting until November..2016. Like this is more a "Are you gonna play FO4 at launch? Or at you gonna wait 6 months, or 2 years?"

To which the answer for a lot people is "All of the above please".

Like for me all of these games go through a very similar style. Its released, horray! Vanilla is brand new, and everything in it I've never seen. Cue 50+ hours. Then some months later (3-6) all the DLC is released and enough basic mods are in that I go "Huh I should play that Dlc, time to start over! cue 50+ hours. And then, having played the same content twice in a years time, about 2 years later I go "Huh I'm in the mood to shoot stuff but wanna see what mods are out, cue 2 hours of clicking on mods in the steam workshop+adding stuff it can't support (assuming there are mods that require script files and etc like all the other games and thus are only available off steam.) and then..cue 50+ hours!

So uh..I'll play it vanilla, then I'll play it with a few mods+all the dlc...then I'll play it heavily modded. Cause that's what I did with the last 4 games this studio made..

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kerse

I don't have a good enough pc anymore so I'll be playing on console, but usually I play this games without mods first. Maybe I'll do something with the UI if there's something I don't like, but I usually don't know what I'd want to mod until I have gotten through a good chunk of the game and at that point I'd wanna make a new character if I change something. And in that case I usually wanna just finish the game with my original character first. Also as some have pointed out, the mods don't really get great until the creation kit comes out and I like to play these games right away so I'm not gonna wait.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Considering that I'll start playing on day of release, I doubt there will be a substantial volume of mods to choose from, especially when considering that the official tools will be a few months off. I know that's not important for most serious modders, but I usually tweak the game some using them(like reducing the karma bonus for killing fiends and ghouls in New Vegas, or make it so I could temper all armor in Skyrim). I know that most modders don't care about the official tools, but I don't expect them to create amazing mods without looking at the base game first. I'd love a Project Boston/Massachusetts/New England, in the vein of Project Nevada, but I'll wait.

I'll definitely play with mods, but I'll wait until I've played through the vanilla game first, and give the community a few weeks/months to come up with something fantastic.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always play a Bethesda game without first time around. At least to start. There are times where someone releases a mod that is just soo good that you need to install it, usually one that fixes a problem in the UI (for example, SkyUI in Skyrim).

RagingFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people vastly overestimate the community's ability to punch out worthwhile mods the instant this game drops. Give it 6 months for them to iterate on all the script extenders, auxiliary editors, and mod organizers. By then, something actually worth downloading will probably be up on the Nexus.