Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By Pabba
No Caption Provided

Fallout 4‘s tagline is “Welcome home,” but I’m not exactly sure where that is. At this stage, I’ve put in about 40 hours or so, and home, for most of that, was in Sanctuary, one of the earliest settlements you can come across and begin filling with people and reconstructing. However, I never felt one hundred percent certain that this is where I’d hang my proverbial hat–in reality, my Silver Shroud hat–and thus never stored anything anywhere there and only did the minimal amount of work to make it appear like I was one of the group. You know, built some turrets and a fancy chair for that drug-loving Mama Murphy.

In previous Bethesda open-world games, having a home was either something to figure out on your own or work towards via downloadable content as some non-essential side activity, though when I did the latter in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim‘s Hearthfire DLC it was after I had finished the main plot missions and completed the majority of things a Dragonborn dreams of doing, thus feeling ultimately unrewarding; plus, it was beyond repetitive. I remember finding “unowned safe spots” in Fallout: New Vegas, like Victor’s shack in Goodsprings, to store some of my heavier gear without fear of losing it permanently. I was, more or less, squatting and creating my own set of secret caches for somebody else to find.

Naturally, most of this searching and scouring for safe containers to hold all your Nuka Quantum and Daedric artifacts would be unnecessary if it wasn’t for…encumbrance. The dictionary defines the term as “a burden or impediment,” but we all know it as that age-old Bethesda staple, an annoyance that caps the amount of crap you can carry while still functioning like a solid warrior in terms of running and fast-traveling. From a logical perspective, sure, it kind of makes sense, though when you begin to scroll through the lists and lists of items in your Pip-Boy in Fallout 4, reality starts to crack in at the edges. There are ways around encumbrance, but the easiest is building a place of residency so you can swing by between missions to dump gear–or, in my case, dozens of coffee mugs–and restock before heading out once more…for more.

As mentioned before, previous games from Bethesda lightly sprinkled in bits of housing, letting those playing on PCs add more options via mods. With Fallout 4, it’s a full downpour of potential abodes from the get-go, some of which are actual entire settlements, sizable areas comprised of multiple homes for refurbishing. This is where deciding becomes important, because all the potential areas require an investment, both in time and resources. I’ve already dumped a decent amount of stuff into Sanctuary, seeing as that’s where this all began, but have now decided that a full-blown settlement is too much for my little heart to nurture. Instead, I’ve taken up base at…Home Base, which is a small, three-floored house for 2,000 caps in Diamond City, where the first floor offers the most room to plop down furniture and get creative.

You can see a glimpse of what my Home Base looks like in the picture at the top of this post. The first thing I built was the Bobblehead stand, which, for me, really cements that this is where I want to put my feet up at and decorate with as many cat paintings as possible. I like the addition of magazine racks, though the ability to spin them in-game would go a long way to making me smile. Other than that, I’ve hung a few flags, created a nicer bed, and placed all my Nuka Cherry on a shelf because that’s what cool people do. Haven’t decided yet what to do with the rest of the living space, but it’ll surely get filled in over time.

Still, there are some problems. I can’t send any of my companions to Home Base to hang out when not traveling with me; they only like settlements, I guess. Second, unlike the early promotional art for Fallout 4, which showed your weapons hanging against the wall on some kind of pin board, that sort of shelf is not available to build. Or I’ve not found it yet. This means that if I want to display any cool weapons I find, like the Fat Man, I have to simply dump them on the ground and then try to maneuver them just so on top of a table or desk. It’d be easier asking a Deathclaw for five bucks. You can switch to “building mode” to pick up and move items around, but that can be just as problematic, with some clipping through walls or vanishing the moment you drop them. Also, I found a really nice vase with a flower in it while exploring the Commonwealth, brought it to Home Base, placed it on the table next to my bed, and discovered it missing the next time I returned. Boo.

This is my first playthrough of Fallout 4, and knowing what I know now, I don’t imagine myself placing a lot of effort on having a place to call home the second time around, when I play as an evil, red-headed woman who likes to punch people and animals into smithereens. Maybe I’ll just abuse my companions to the point of weighing them down entirely with my full stash of weapons, mods, medicine, and coffee mugs. Maybe I’ll never pick up another single thing again and have no need for a place to store stuff. Yeah, right.

Where do you call home, my fellow Vault dwellers?

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I just kicked Sturges out and moved back into my old house.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I use the Castle primarily, but I do have a soft spoke for Sanctuary, Ive also invested fairly heavily into Graygardens and sunshine hills because I found the robots there funny.

I bought Home Plate but once I found out I couldn't send companions back there I gave up on it pretty quick. why cant Valentine and Piper stay there at least, its stupid.

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teaoverlord:Did you restore your child's bedroom?

@ninnanuam: I've sided with the MM for most of my playthrough so far and do have access to the Castle, though it seems somewhat limited in terms of space. Guess that's the point though. :P

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I thought I'd use Home Plate, but since I can't send companions there and can't connect it to my supply lines I've pretty much abandoned it.

I decided to use Hangman's Alley instead. It's just about as centrally located as you can get, and it's secure since there are only two ways in and out. Technically there are three ways in and out if you unchain one of the doors, or only one way if you leave it chained and block off one entrance.

I don't think the game takes into account the layout of your base if you're not around, though. I've gotten the 'base under attack' message before, fast traveled back to Hangman's, and the Raiders were all up in my shit. They either made it past my defenses, or the game just spawned them inside because that grid wasn't loaded at the time of attack. Given that, I think it makes more sense to spread your defenses out to give equal coverage to as much area as possible as opposed to concentrating it on the entrances.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

I had been using the Red Rocket. Had set up a whole fancy turret array on the roof that was just decimating Super Mutants, too. But no matter how much I tried, I would have issues where the game would insist I had settlers I wasn't aware of, and had to build or provide a resource. Then, when I did what it wanted, nothing happened. The gods were not pleased.

So, my awesome gas station base was evacuated, and now I've made Sanctuary a fortress. Spotlights and turrets on every roof, a laser turret on the bridge, and a dedicated section for food and water. I've got one house that is nothing but beds. I'll take some time one day to pretty things up like I did with the gas station, but my priority was to get everything working well.

I have had no problems keeping everyone and everything happy using Sanctuary as my home, so that's my suggestion.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hatking

I have been using Sanctuary pretty much exclusively. That said, I just cleared out the drive in theater. Its central location, large flat space, and interesting aesthetic are tempting me to make myself a second fortress. Sanctuary is almost full up anyway.

OLph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made a base out of Sanctuary for the settlers and then when I didn't want anything to do with them any more I moved my things over to the nearby Red Rocket and made that my home (Without any beds, water, food or defence), if I ever want to talk to Preston or so they are just across the water.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where ever your heart is

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

By the time I even though of how stupid it was teleport to a distant corner of the map every time I dumped my shit off, I had stacked Sanctuary so full with material that I REALLY DIDNT CARE TO MOVE. So Sanctuary it is.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I would like Sanctuary, but considering anyone can come and mess with crap in your house its annoying. No idea why they didn't make it to where you could actually improve Sanctuary opposed to junking it up but whatever. That being said, all my junk is in Sanctuary. No idea why its not a universal chest type thing that goes across all benches you own.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sanctuary mostly, but I send most of the companions to Red Rocket as kind of a forward base.

I walled off Sanctuary and did my best to restore my house, made 2 metal houses with beds and such for settlers. Also the settlement has like 12 power armor racks with many partly assembled armors around, and essentially all of my junk items. I have a very large supply chain starting from it to cover the rest of the settlements.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So far I have I have a house I built in Sanctuary opposite your character's actual house that I moved out of after maybe 20 hours. Then I built a house above the viaduct at Finch Farm that you have to fast travel to get to, although apparently that doesn't stop the NPCs from spawning up there, that's where I keep all my belongings, my best set of power armour, and the set the brotherhood gave me. And then lastly I have a storage building for all the other sets of power armour I find, which is on top of the Red Rocket, guarded by rocket turrets. I also bought the Home Plate but it's kinda shit so there's nothing there.

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane: Dang, I didn't even think about the fact that supply lines can't hit Home Base! Now I'm really reconsidering :/

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The drive-in. Big and flat

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spectacle Island

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first Red Rocket station is my and my dogs home. It just feels more in line when I think about Fallout and wandering the wasteland.

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@valjean9430: I haven't even discovered this location yet, but it sounds appealing!!

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

There's an old lighthouse near Salem with a small house and dock. I'm trying to renovate it, see if I can't flip the property and make a killing off some moneyed folk wanting to live in a lighthouse. Till then The dock building somehow still has a whole roof and four walls so I'm sleeping there.

RagingFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Castle for me. Not exactly sure what caused me to immediately go for it, it just felt like after the fight to get it, I "earned" that fort. I barely spent any dedicated hours to the settlement system, but over the course of 80 hours I kept adding things to it every once in a while, until the final product turned out looking pretty darn functional.

Unfortunately, it meant my home bombarded me with radiant quests that have a timer every time I went to it. It ended up adding dozens of so-so playtime to my game. Of all the things to import from Skyrim, that stuff was not needed. So an important notice: If you're using Castle and aren't interested in endless amounts of "help this settlement" quests, maybe unplug the radio tower.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TanookiSuit

Pretty much sticking with Sanctuary, since I don't want to drag all my extra Legendaries and pick-apart weapons/apparel elsewhere. I may build up Red Rocket a bit for myself, since I like having my companions in one spot and not all muddled up with the rest of the rubes, busy with gardening or hammering the same spot on a wall of my house (Seriously, Sturges, knock it off)

Also, yeah, why the hell isn't their a usable peg board? That would be dope. I want to hang the Vault-Tec lunch boxes I've been collecting on something other than a table, scattered about because they "click-in" half-way through the table when I try and move them in build mode...

jonasc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've set up camp in red rocket. Nice and easy to defend (turrets on the roof) and I can roll down the door when radiation storms roll in.

I do send all my less-desired followers to sanctuary to rot though. I put some farms there so if I need tatos and corn, I'll visit, but otherwise all my junk is at RR.