#1 Posted by Rebel_Scum (917 posts) -

Just started playing it this morning and loving it. Is the gameplay and feel really similar to Far Cry 3? By feel I mean great music that suits the setting.

What are your thoughts on Blood Dragon? I finding the humour just fine and mood and setting pretty good.

#2 Posted by Abendlaender (2995 posts) -

I think the game is great so far but I also really, really, REALLY loved Far Cry 3. I don't really like how some weapons feel but over then that? Great. 15$? SOLD

Also it's just so fucking weird to see such a game exist.

#3 Posted by JouselDelka (981 posts) -

I think it's good.

Regarding the humor, I don't think that every production in the world necessarily has to have clever jokes. There's nothing wrong with laying back on a quiet morning playing an absurd shooter set in a sci-fi 2007 with terrible, but funny, stupidity (the humor). Quite entertaining and fits the style.

#4 Edited by EquitasInvictus (2067 posts) -

This game is awesome!

One cool change is the fact you don't take fall damage anymore. Being able to jump from gliders or towers and not die is an awesome feeling.

And I love the style of the cutscenes and the overall feel of the game's narrative! I'm so happy this exists. Worth $15 and more, and I'd say.

#5 Posted by tonyp2121 (172 posts) -

They made a lot of interesting changes to this over farcry 3 (like no fall damage and a TON of health bars). I'm glad they got rid of skill trees and the crafting element though, I think the game feels better because they streamlined the process and they did it very well. Some of the jokes are ham handed but overall its still really good. Plus: Everything is chrome

#6 Posted by Rebel_Scum (917 posts) -

@tonyp2121: Is it worth playing Far Cry 3 then if I like this? Something inside of me does say its because of the 80's asthetic as to why I like it so much.

#7 Edited by tonyp2121 (172 posts) -

@rebel_scum If you like the gameplay then yes I would say that it is very worth playing far cry 3 as most of the systems in place in Blood Dragon are oversimplified especially in comparison to Far Cry 3. For example the world is much more open in Far Cry 3, stealth is much more important (while in this one stealth has its place the game kinda urges you to go for the more action packed route), theres a large crafting system, and theres a very large skill tree with three main branches, so overall gameplay is more diverse in 3 over blood dragon. If you need more convincing watch a quick look (I believe they did one on Far Cry 3) or watch gameplay videos on YouTube to help tide you over to one side or the other.

#8 Edited by Rebel_Scum (917 posts) -

@tonyp2121:Yeah I saw the QL at the time it came out. I thought I'd let the hype die down as well as the price. Its really the 80's VHS/B-grade movie/cartoon feel and style of the dialogue, action and cutscenes that are winning me over.

#10 Edited by FourWude (2274 posts) -

tee game is sheet. it jost goes to sow dat gamers today err fackin poosees.

no fack u. u tell me wear u liv and i fack u up.

Ye cannae fook mee oop. Ye cannae hav da fookin powa, jimmy. So jog on.

#11 Posted by firecracker22 (608 posts) -

I really like the game so far. I'm digging the humor. And I think the weapon descriptions are actually funny this time, whereas in FC3 reading the descriptions seemed like they were trying to be funny...but wasn't.

Like, the description for the Bow in Blood Dragon. It straight up says if you don't know what a Bow is, then you probably shouldn't be playing the game but maybe go read a dictionary. And then gets snarky about how it's a future bow because it's neon. The description for the AJM 9 being named after a fallen Detroit cop was nice too.

Jeff was right. Michael Biehn sounds like Michael Rooker in this. Which makes it even funnier to me.

#12 Posted by ObiKwiet (169 posts) -

I really like it so far (only a few hours in), but why the fuck do I have weapons that fire projectiles? They should be firing FUCKING LASERS!

#13 Edited by fox01313 (5175 posts) -

Needs Cyber Vaas in it. I can agree on the bad 80s sci-fi setting on why there's jeeps & hang gliders but would have been nice to have them decorate the look more to make it look more futuristic (or tacky if like other 80s sci-fi movies when it ran out of budget).

edit: also LOVED the two moments in the main story mission involving (no spoilers) lady liberty & another mission with the grenade announcement.

#14 Posted by Rebel_Scum (917 posts) -

@obikwiet said:

I really like it so far (only a few hours in), but why the fuck do I have weapons that fire projectiles? They should be firing FUCKING LASERS!

Doesn't the gun at the 3 o'clock position fire lasers? Thats the only one I'e seen that does so far. In saying that though the handgun should fire lasers, and it should be called a blaster.

#15 Posted by OneManX (1709 posts) -

I dig it so far, the jokes are kinda hit an dmiss, but I love running around and just messing stuff up.

Also Neon Bow... still a threat. Also you have to unlock the lasers for the Rifle.

#16 Posted by Pudge (1044 posts) -

The sense of humor definitely isn't perfect, but there are some gems in there. Go read the description of the bow in the menu, it's AMAZING.

Gameplay wise, I have high doubts that there will be a game that comes out this year that can top it for my GOTY.

#17 Posted by Scottish_Sin (238 posts) -

Enjoyed my time with it but thought it was pretty short. Done everything in it and was surprised to see that my playtime was just over 6 hours all in.

#18 Edited by leinad44 (561 posts) -

After finishing it, I really wish they had just played it straight. The constant winks and nods started to grate with me.

Overall, it had an 80's training montage, so I was perfectly happy.

Oh and the credits music was great!

#19 Posted by Capum15 (5119 posts) -

I've only gotten about two and a half hours into it. I think it's really dumb, but I love everything about it so far.

#20 Posted by geirr (2871 posts) -

I really like this game. Earlier I walked to the mall here listening to the soundtrack in huge headphones. It was amazing!

I've played it for 3 hours or so which is longer than I played Far Cry 3. It's buggy as hell at times, but who cares.

#21 Posted by ajamafalous (12457 posts) -

@fox01313 said:

Needs Cyber Vaas in it. I can agree on the bad 80s sci-fi setting on why there's jeeps & hang gliders but would have been nice to have them decorate the look more to make it look more futuristic (or tacky if like other 80s sci-fi movies when it ran out of budget).

edit: also LOVED the two moments in the main story mission involving (no spoilers) lady liberty & another mission with the grenade announcement.

I laughed pretty hard at Lady Liberty (not far enough in for the other).

But yeah, Jeff's right: some of the humor tries wayyy too hard, and the game suffers because of it. I'm still enjoying playing it, but man, I groan every time a loading screen/tutorial/description joke fails (which is about 90% of them). I really wish they had just gone straight-faced 80s instead of inexplicably trying to do both.

#22 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (2028 posts) -

I really, really love this game. All the little changes they made to the core FC3 gameplay are great. For one, you are a hell of a lot more mobile. You can run and swim at insane speeds, jump real high, and take no fall damage (thank Christ...one of the worst thing about FC3). The game does a great job at making you feel like an action hero and at making the combat a hell of a lot of fun. The weapons are great, as are their accompanying animations. They really nailed the 80's action movie vibe perfectly. The game is real funny at times, but as everyone else is saying, the fourth wall-breaking humor just doesn't land most of the time, though some of it does. I also think Michael Biehn's line delivery is kind of tired. He doesn't seem that into it, but maybe that's just how he always sounds now. I'm enjoying Phil LaMarr's character more.

#23 Posted by mikey87144 (1997 posts) -

I love this game. I took the creators suggestion and liberated all the bases, did all the side missions, and got all the collectables to power up Rex. Boy does it make the missions fun. Just go in guns a blazing and murder everything. The Rocket Launcher/Sniper Rifle is easily the best weapon in the game.