• 80 results
DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DonPixel

Im enjoying the gameplay part of FC4, emergent gameplay, open word, I like the systems, the scale of the map etc.. etc...

Thematically, I'm starting to feel a bit of uncomfortable with killing so much wildlife, specially endangered species like Tigers, Wolfs and Eagles... it just feels wrong, Not sure how should I feel about a videogame that rewards you for hunting species in the brink of extinction. I've been trying to turn off my brain about this because the game part is good, but man...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I mean it's a fantasy thing right? You're just doing something in the game that you would never do in real life. Similar to how you wouldn't run around with 28 guns on your back mowing down every person that you see in that jungle.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game doesnt trully start until you blow up a boar witb a grenade, and then light it on fire with a flare.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you feel bad about killing those animals but not about murdering all those people then yes, yes you are.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By cornbredx

I mean... if you have to ask then the answer is yes.

Also:

thou= sounds like "thow"

though= sounds like "thO"

Just thought you would want to know that.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It's like that part of Lethal Weapon 3 where Mel Gibson says he's OK with killing humans but not dogs.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Fur is murder

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get a room ya hippie!

On a serious note I think it's kinda quirky you have issues killing wild life over killing human beings in the game.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I felt the same way watching the quicklook. However I am totally a tree hugger.

I felt bad killing the whales in Assassin's Creed 4 as well.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DonPixel
@i_stay_puft said:

Get a room ya hippie!

On a serious note I think it's kinda quirky you have issues killing wild life over killing human beings in the game.

Considering overpopulation is probably the root of all evil right now... not really ;P There is a difference: both human sides are fighting a war consciously, in the other hand animals are just roaming around.

Anyway, I just finished the mission where you have to go get some stuff at the himalayas for the arms dealer, No real wildlife is this much of a jerk so I feel slightly better about killing them.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Catarrhal

There are fewer than 3,200 tigers remaining in the wild. Tree hugging is nothing to be ashamed of.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The rhinos and stuff just minding their own business I do feel a little bad killing them sometimes, but those damn eagles who attack you at sight? Those assholes I gladly blast out of the sky.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do see where you're coming from. I tend to avoid going around slaughtering people in games for similar reasons, although I don't necessarily feel terribly guilty even when I do. With regard to animals, I did actually start slaughtering them left and right in my initial hours of Dragon Age: Inquistion, mainly because I found the concept of opening tactical view to attack them hilarious. Even found this funny, I still felt compelled to comment to myself, "Oh, I'm a monster." I only kill them now if I need supplies because the novelty has worn thin.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've got a couple of pet dogs, so whenever a game asks me to kill a dog I cringe. I feel similarly about the likes of Rhinos and Tigers in this game, but Far Cry 4 isn't nearly realistic enough for it to outright stop me from progressing through the crafting.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

With the rate at which this wildlife attacks people, no wonder they're endangered. What kind of eagle routinely attacks people twice their size?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you self-identify as a tree-hugger at all, then the answer is probably yes.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the rate at which this wildlife attacks people, no wonder they're endangered. What kind of eagle routinely attacks people twice their size?

The fucked up ones out for revenge on those that murdered his wife and kids.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt bad about the rhinos in the beginning, but then I was minding my own business parked up admiring a nice view while lighting a cigarette, and a fucking rhino charged out of the brush and dlipped my jeep end over end of a cliff. I promptly exploded.

It's on now. They started it.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mbradley1992

@donpixel: Should it not be better to kill virtual animals than real ones? I mean, wouldn't you prefer everyone to pick up Far Cry 4 for their poaching needs? Then the real ones would be saved.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me it's just a game and I have no problem with engaging with its mechanics.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By MooseyMcMan

The stuff that happens in the game is so over the top and goofy that I find it hard to think of it as a real world place with real world consequences. So, at least in my case, I don't have any qualms about murdering wildlife, especially when most of it has no qualms about murdering me.

It's not like there's a realistic ecosystem model in place. If there was a limited number of each species, and the different species interacted with each other realistically, then yeah, I'd put some thought into it before I went poaching. But that's not in the game, there's an infinite number of every type of animal in the game (not counting the named unique ones that appear in hunting quests).

That'd be an interesting thing to include in a future game. Like, if you over hunt a certain animal, it affects the ecosystem and then there would be more of other animals, or whatever.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Your killing animals the entire time, People are animals.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like blowing up Honey Badgers with land mines. :)

Phili151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I like blowing up Honey Badgers with land mines. :)

That was a really good Survival mission. They do such a great job of encouraging you to find the dumbest solutions.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

I'm with you. Even watching the quick look made me a bit uncomfortable. Then again, I don't really like killing realistically-depicted people in video games anymore either. I remember playing Red Dead and my dad would only happen to walk in when I was killing cute animals and he called it "the hunting game" which made me feel a bit weird. It's good that games are in a place now where there are plenty that don't involve killing.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its silly to keep comparing it to killing humans, even though I don't feel this way about the wildlife its two very different things. Not only is a war actively happening in the area so its gonna happen, its so desensitizing killing humans at this point since its what you do in 90% of all video games. No idea why its being brought up as being compared.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@zeik said:

If you feel bad about killing those animals but not about murdering all those people then yes, yes you are.

Well, while I haven't played the game, aren't the people you're shooting in Far Cry 4 horrible, horrible terrorists? If he's the type of person who doesn't like shooting civilians in GTA, then he's not necessarily being inconsistent here.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By monetarydread

Yes you are. Tigers are scary monsters that want nothing more than to eat you alive. They are way scarier than any zombie horde, vampire, or other creature that goes bump in the night because they actually exist. Just think of how a house cat plays with a bird when it captures one, now imagine if that cat was bigger than you and gave even less fucks about whether you lived or died, you think you would get out of there alive?.

Loading Video...

So yeah, fuck tigers. Fuck them right in the face with a bullet.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing wrong with not wanting to kill animals. I wouldn't want to kill them unless they attack me.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

@donpixel:

I love Payday 2, but i could never get past the point of shooting cops. A friend of mine who i play a lot of co op games has played over 1,000 hrs but i couldn't get past the first 2 hrs.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@me3639 said:

@donpixel:

I love Payday 2, but i could never get past the point of shooting cops. A friend of mine who i play a lot of co op games has played over 1,000 hrs but i couldn't get past the first 2 hrs.

I can see that, specially if you have friends or relatives in the force

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Relkin

Don't feel bad. Kill them all. Like those goddamn Cassowary's in Far Cry 3. ALL OF THEM(it's a game).

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ripelivejam

@catarrhal said:

There are fewer than 3,200 tigers remaining in the wild. Tree hugging is nothing to be ashamed of.

if only the real tigers were infinitely respawning (not that i would go on a crazed tiger killing spree if that were the case...)

@monetarydread: they still totally rule. just tigers doing what they do.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donpixel: It's just a game dude, murder away!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yet you feel no remorse for the innumerable amount of human beings you've killed over your gaming lifetime.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those endangered pixels.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By gamefreak9

Think of yourself as a catalyst of nature, you are merely accelerating evolution. If they are almost extinct they will likely become extinct anyway, don't forget 99.99% of species on earth have already been wiped out, whats another few dozen eh?

hodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By hodor

You aren't a tree hugger, just a responsible person who realizes that mankind is not an island. I do think it is pretty crummy of them for the way they have animals attack you on sight. Most big predators like tigers would avoid people like the plague, not wander the woods looking for humans to murder. It's just their way to add some wild adventure to their game. Although as a falconer, I can't believe they don't have a system where you can capture and train an eagle.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By splodge

@hodor said:

Although as a falconer, I can't believe they don't have a system where you can capture and train an eagle.

a) That would be awesome. Could train your eagle buddy to pick up animals for you and drop them from a height.

b) YOU'RE A FALCONER!?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@sunbrozak: Having to kill dogs in games is the worst. I felt bad a couple of days ago in Minecraft when a dog fell in lava. Yup, I am a wuss.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think most of us feel that way for animals in games to some degree. It's weird, of course, since you know... all those murdered humans in our wake and everything. Nowadays I feel equally bad about killing human NPCs in games, no matter how "evil" their affiliation is. That only lasts for about an hour. Before long I'm basking in the warm mist of their exploded hearts and carving my way to the biggest, sexiest wallet in the jungle. And it's always gonna be funny to walk up to a person in GTA V parked at a red light and dump a clip into their face. It's so horrible that it's hilarious. I sound way more sadistic than I am... I hope.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apart from turtles everything I've come across so far is fair game, it just seems unfair to kill anything that can’t fight back.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By nasp

ill say the same thing i say to any question on whether its ok to do something in a video game.anything you want to do in a video game is ok because you guessed it,its not real.if you have a problem killing animals but not humans,then i would say theres a problem there.ill also say what i said in the hatred thread.you dont need a reason to kill,the person doesnt have to be a bad guy and the animals can be endangered.it doesnt matter what you do in a game because its a video game.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I found it really funny that I had no problem shooting a grenade at a goat but then a bullet grazed an elephant and I instantly felt like a monster.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt bad in Red Dead when I killed some animals because they felt so natural in the environment. In FarCry it's kind of this ridiculous fantasy thing, like, I wouldn't normally kill people either but these aren't realistic portrayals of people either. Basically what I'm saying is those tigers are terrorists and it's your duty as a citizen of the world to cleanse them with the healing fires of your AK.

hodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By hodor

I would point out there is nothing wrong about feeling bad about killing wildlife and not feeling bad about killing humans. Intraspecific competition is a lot more common than interspecific competition. Also in this and most other games the people you kill aren't neutral.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

The "it's only a game" response only goes so far. The images and ideas in video games do matter, even if we react to those ideas in different ways than reality. If Far Cry's crafting system was based on raping disabled children, I'm betting most people would object, even if it is "just a game".