Current state of PC version?

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

When Far Cry 4 came out I heard there were some issues with the PC version, such as crashing on launch. Does anyone know what the current state of the PC version is? How reliable/playable is it? I was originally planning to get this game for PC, but I also have a PS4, so just trying to decide which version to get! :)

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've yet to have issues with the PC version.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've yet to have issues with the PC version.

Same here.

I've heard it doesn't play well with AMD cards and chips though.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: I'm using Intel and Nvidia

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They fixed that stupid peripherals bug and that's about the only thing I knew was wrong with it. It's played fine for me since I bought it.

ShapeOfDespair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure if this was related to the peripherals bug, but when playing it seemed to stop accepting my movement inputs every few seconds if I was holding it down and I'd have to let off and press it again. After unplugging my 360 controller it stopped. I haven't plugged it back in again to see if it was fixed.

WezqApe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WezqApe

I'm playing with my AMD Phenom x4 965 and radeon R9 270 setup and the game is running very well with custom~high graphic settings at 1080p. I actually tried lowering the default settings and experienced some frame skipping. I switched back to defaults and everything went back to normal.

About 9 hours of game time and I've had zero crashes or other issues so far.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been rock solid on my computer, Intel/nVidia.

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A lot of these "broken game" stories get blown out of all proportion, it runs perfectly on my housemates rig.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Have you tried running Far Cry 3 before? The performance is consistent between the two titles.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm running a R9 280x and an i7 920 @ 3.8 ghz. Even with all the fixes applied, game is very stuttery. Framerate is all over the place for the most part, jumping up and down from 30-60, huge issue in a shooter. Not enjoyable to play, will be coming back in a year or so after I switch back to nVidia and get a Skylake.

LordSeifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LordSeifer

@doctordonkey said:

I'm running a R9 280x and an i7 920 @ 3.8 ghz. Even with all the fixes applied, game is very stuttery. Framerate is all over the place for the most part, jumping up and down from 30-60, huge issue in a shooter. Not enjoyable to play, will be coming back in a year or so after I switch back to nVidia and get a Skylake.

I'm running an GTX670 and an i5-2500 @ 4.1 Ghz and I'm having the exact same problems. The game is just a stuttery mess if the Textures setting is above Medium, and even with it at Medium there is a TON of stutter still. The frame rate is incredibly unstable, jumping between 25-50 and the tearing is unbelievable. I've tried all the presets and tried customizing to get the best graphics/framerate balance, but nothing really seems to fix the stuttering, and you have to drop the settings way too low just to get a stable 60. The texture pop-in/draw distance is terrible also, totally unacceptable. It doesn't make any sense at all to me, because both Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon run at a smooth 60 for me on nearly max settings.

Oh and I'm running it off an SSD, so the stuttering makes even less sense! I've also tried the various INI file fixes and its improved the stuttering, but its still a million times worse than any normal game.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

Just got it yesterday - I have an AMD card R9 280 and it runs fine, with almost everything on Ultra - it occasionally slows down when you're on a vehicle, but I haven't had any issues so far.

barnodian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By barnodian

The game doesn't seem to be optimized well. I have a 770 and an ivy bridge i5, and I have to run most things at medium to get a consistent 60 frames. The game still looks good on medium, but knowing it can look so much better hurts me.

Also, I've had a couple crashes.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been running the game maxed out and only experienced one problem.

HBAO+. This motherfucker still has issues rendering some areas in complete darkness. The only alternative to this is SSAO that, I believe, ruins the experience.

Other than that, the game is incredibly similar to FC3....a little too similar. It got old fast.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently if you have a dual core then the game refuses to launch.
I kept getting an immediate start up crash that some said was due to peripherals, but people said unplugging things and the latest patch from Ubi should get it working, tried both, still didn't work, then I investigated further and if you have anything less then a quad core apparently it just refuses to work and crashes every time without some sort of fan made fix, no word on Ubi yet if they plan a patch or even acknowledge it as a problem, seeing as how, you know, it's UbiSoft and all.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By monetarydread

@zolroyce: THe minimum requirements listed on the physical box mention a quad core CPU (Core i5-750 quad core CPU) so that means UBISOFT has officially stated (before the game launched) that dual-core CPU's are not supported. I wouldn't hold your breath for a magic patch that makes your game work. Also, that isn't a knock on Ubisoft, I'm sorry to say it, but that is your fault for not reading the system specs.

Edit: Also, like all Ubisoft games, the performance of this game scales with your CPU. For example, my roommate has an i5-2500k with a 680 and he has problems running the game on medium settings. I put my 980 in his machine and he still has problems running the game on his machine. If I pair his 680 with my i7-4790k I can run the game on ultra settings no problem and it is the same situation with AC: Unity as well. This makes me believe that the issue is that the engine is CPU limited instead of being GPU limited like most PC games.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was fine when it came out and was fine up until I stopped playing it a couple of weeks ago!

The only weird thing I came across was the crazy bad instability and lag you get with a DS4 plugged in whilst streaming to OBS!

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce: THe minimum requirements listed on the physical box mention a quad core CPU (Core i5-750 quad core CPU) so that means UBISOFT has officially stated (before the game launched) that dual-core CPU's are not supported. I wouldn't hold your breath for a magic patch that makes your game work. Also, that isn't a knock on Ubisoft, I'm sorry to say it, but that is your fault for not reading the system specs.

I wasn't aware of that, I hadn't actually bought the game myself (it was a present) so I never went over the specs, just installed it. I wouldn't disagree with anything you said then. Ah well, its in the system if I ever upgrade, or that fan work around actually works.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I'm playing on a 770GTX and it looks great with most settings turned up. I did have to google a fix for microstuttering but since then it's been really smooth.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it ran just fine for me, a slight slowdown a few times when I managed to get pretty high in the air. That's about it.

brutushayesosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By brutushayesosu

Playing with a 970gtx, I was having some issues with stuttering and my DOF/motion blur was not working. I had everything maxed in my in-game settings but when I went into the gamerprofile.xml file a few things were set to low and high. I set everything to 'ultrahigh' and now the game looks better overall, the postfx setting now works, and stuttering seems to be diminished. Placebo effect Im not sure....? Basically what this guy was saying here. (reddit link)

tcostell1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a quad core i5-2500 @3.3Ghz w 16 gigs of Ram, running a AMD HD 6900 with 2 gigs vram and I haven't been able to run the game at all. This is not a performance problem or a too dark shadow. This is a complete crash of the game that makes it totally worthless.

I have no devices connected except my keyboard and mouse. I spent 4 weeks going back and forth with Ubisoft support (who readily confessed that my machine was over the minimum requirement) and they eventually gave up. Now they no longer even respond to my new tickets or questions.

There are thousands of people on the PC side who have bought this game and are still unable to play it. In my case it's been almost 2 months since I made my donation to the Ubisoft purse and received absolutely nothing at all for it. It's a serious enough issue that there is talk on other forums of launching a class action suit in order to compel Ubisoft to refund at least part of the money.

roboperv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a bug at the end of act 2, now I can't progress and there is no fix for it without restarting. Been so bummed out about I haven't played anything in weeks.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Yeah I've had zero issues with the game. Got it during the Steam Sale and been playing it since.

DFL017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is the draw distance on the pc? Better than Far Cry 3?

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mak_wikus

The game started chugging like CRAZY once I completed the main storyline. It would freeze completely every 10 seconds to stream in areas of the map.

Also, it took them FIVE PATCHES to finally fix the mouse acceleration issue(which did not exist in Far Cry 3. This is the same engine, right?)

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Well it WAS running good for me, other than the Dunia 2 loading in texture pixelated, but I've been getting white screen crashes lately.