• 57 results
#1 Posted by Kidavenger (3527 posts) -

I had no idea there was even a PC version of this game.

I never did finish this way back when, wonder if it holds up at all.

#2 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3151 posts) -

nah.

#3 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

the PC port came out through Square's shop like last year. it's the same version except now on Steam and it's same PC version from 2000, except now achievements.

#4 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

$12 is stretching it and 13€ is ridiculous, not that I'm looking to replay it any time soon anyway.

They even kept the terrible midi music.

#5 Edited by afabs515 (1018 posts) -

Whoa, stealth release. I just bought this game 2 months ago for the PS1, so I'm good. Weird that they're putting out all these old FF games on Steam though.

#6 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11586 posts) -

If I am sure of one thing in regards to what Final Fantasy games I'd be interested in playing, I know for certain that VIII is not one of them.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@afabs515 said:

Whoa, stealth release.

Definitely. I think most people forgot that FF8 had a PC release.

#8 Posted by Nodima (1155 posts) -

I'm under the impression PC versions of these games are pretty bad.

#9 Posted by Veektarius (4744 posts) -

I've been sort of interested in replaying this recently, might wait for a sale, though.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (14719 posts) -

Haters be damned. Final Fantasy 8 is the 2nd best Final Fantasy.

#11 Posted by ToTheNines (702 posts) -

what are the new features and enhancements that the trailer proclaims?

also 8 is the first that I played through and is therefor dear to my heart, no matter how lame it is now.

#12 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Haters be damned. Final Fantasy 8 is the 2nd best Final Fantasy.

I can agree with you if your most favorite FF is 10.^^

But yeah I will totally buy it again for the third time on the Christmas Sale.^^

#13 Edited by Demoskinos (14719 posts) -

@darji: Actually never have finished X or X-2 for that matter. My favorite is FF XIII which I know will induce vomiting amongst some people but I really really enjoyed it.

#14 Posted by soulcake (261 posts) -

Is this game worth picking up at that price ? I only played FF 7 recently on the pc and enjoyed it. Never was really into FF. but in recent years i picked up a interest in JRPG's

#15 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

@darji: Actually never have finished X or X-2 for that matter. My favorite is FF XIII which I know will induce vomiting amongst some people but I really really enjoyed it.

you really should finish 10 when it is getting the HD release it is really good. FFX-2 on the other hand I really did not enjoy due to the mission system and that it was impossible to play without a guide. As for FFXIII I am one of the few who actually enjoyed 13 very much as well. I though it was a good FF game especially the battle system was fast but also tactical for non trash mobs and bonus enemies. But the one thing that was missing in thsi game was a love story like in 10 or 8^^

#16 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5366 posts) -

You know what? I think I'm actually gonna play this now that's it's on Pc. Maybe...

#17 Edited by Ducksworth (660 posts) -

Best PS1 numbered Final Fantasy. I'd tell all you IX lovers to suck it but we'll all be dead by the time the ATB gauge is done filling.

#18 Posted by shinjin977 (754 posts) -

Best PS1 numbered Final Fantasy. I'd tell all you IX lovers to suck it but we'll all be dead by the time the ATB gauge is done filling.

Cold as ice

#19 Edited by CatsAkimbo (613 posts) -

I played this on PC when it came out and it was great... until I lost my save at the start of the last disc. Was too far in to want to start over. Now-a-days I'd assume you could find a save at different points of the game pretty easily.

#20 Posted by EXTomar (4627 posts) -

I had no idea there was even a PC version of this game.

I never did finish this way back when, wonder if it holds up at all.

Yeah Square did flirt with PC with versions with FF7 and FF8.

#21 Posted by DeadpanCakes (827 posts) -

All I remember about this game is the card game. That is this one right?

Anyway, I still have the game on disc so I might play it. Just won't buy it.

#22 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5352 posts) -

I believe the PC version of VIII was better for some reason or other; don't recall why.

@demoskinos: XIII's gameplay is by far the best so its a defensible position.

#23 Posted by Marokai (2859 posts) -

I've never understood the weird following this game has. FFVIII has one of the few video game stories I would actually specifically go out of my way to call retarded, the magic/junction system is incredibly tedious and broken, and enemies scaling with you is one of the worst RPG gameplay tropes ever. Music is good, it's from a great era of games, I liked that they took the art-style in less of a super-deformed, anime-inspired direction, but I always feel like most of the people who sing the praises of that game (Patrick is one example) don't remember very much specifics about it.

But I'll probably buy it at some point purely because I don't currently own a copy.

#24 Posted by TwoLines (2793 posts) -

I bought it. The music is in MIDI format, so that sucks, but the rest is okay. Too bad they'll never bring IX to PC...

#25 Posted by Lyisa (340 posts) -

@twolines said:

I bought it. The music is in MIDI format, so that sucks, but the rest is okay. Too bad they'll never bring IX to PC...

I don't think IX ever had a pc release to begin with, so yeah, incredibly unlikely.

#26 Edited by Zirilius (607 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

I believe the PC version of VIII was better for some reason or other; don't recall why.

@demoskinos: XIII's gameplay is by far the best so its a defensible position.

Load times were faster and it had better resolution than the PS1 counter part. Other than that it was the exact same amount of discs.

PS: thats what I remember of it anyways from when I bought it back in 2000/2001.

#27 Posted by Petiew (1341 posts) -

@marokai said:

(Patrick is one example)

Patrick likes 8 but hates 9? What a terrible person!

#28 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Not a FF8 fan. The gameplay is busted, the plot nonsense and the characters paper thin. It looks nice and has a solid soundtrack at least.

#29 Edited by Marokai (2859 posts) -

@petiew: I've never played IX, for the record!

#30 Edited by Doskias (304 posts) -

I accept and agree with most of the criticisms people level at this game, and still continue to love it. Not sure why. Maybe it's just where I was in my life when I first played it. It kinda hit me in a weird way. Dunno.

#31 Posted by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -
#32 Edited by ervonymous (1297 posts) -
#33 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5352 posts) -

Apart from everything else Final Fantasy VIII had a really good scaling difficulty system before that sort of thing even existed. That, and 2001 space music.

#34 Edited by Marokai (2859 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: Scaling difficulty in an RPG is supposed to be a good thing? It sort of defeats the purpose of progression. It's the equivalent of rubber-band AI in driving games.

#35 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5352 posts) -

@marokai: The best RPGs don't have opaque ways to overlevel them; the only game I can think of that does this in a very direct way is Suikoden 3 since it sort of curbs your levelling and the last bosses will always be reasonably challenging as a result; but there's also really awesome RPGs that just don't have experience systems too like Vagrant Story and so on. If you're playing JRPGs in a really grindy way where you just beat everything because you're overleveled then you must be having a really dull experience with them.

#36 Posted by Tajasaurus (818 posts) -

This game should be removed from steam as it is not fit for sale.

APOLOGISE TO ME, SQUARE. APOLOGISE FOR WHAT YOU DID.

#37 Posted by gokaired (518 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: I don't know, i played that stupid game with one hand and one button, and that's not an exaggeration, it can be done.

It has some cool ideas but the Battle System has a fundamental flaw.

8 was one of the worst entries especially after 9. I wonder how long we'll wait till 12 is re-released though.

#38 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@ducksworth said:

Cold as ice

Final Fantasy IX is the best Final Fantasy ever made. I'd tell you to go into the settings and turn up battle speed but I feel like you'll be too busy extrating 100 magic spells from enemies for the next three months.

#39 Posted by DonChipotle (2714 posts) -

I will defend FF8 from all haters. It's not the best one by far but it doesn't deserve the bad rep.

#40 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@gokaired: Played, certainly didn't make it very far. Then you got to an eidolon battle and couldn't do it anymore. Oh well.

I'm interested. What's the flaw?

#41 Edited by The_Hiro_Abides (1260 posts) -

My fondest memory of VIII is a sparsely populated room of people all stare at the trailer of VIII in a Gamestop or EB Games before it's 9/9/1999 release.

At the time, watching it's CG trailer of cut scenes, it could only be amazing.

Now a days, I don't think fondly of it's grindy draw system where I obsessively collected spells until I maxed it out. In this PC release, if you connect to their servers, you automatically get max spells for at least 10 different spells. So I guess they cut some of the tedium.

Still, this game does have the one boss that you can kill with one phoenix down.

#42 Edited by gokaired (518 posts) -

@canteu:

The way auto-battle work... Or doesn't, as in order to win you don't have to put any kind of strategy during fights. Once you assign the correct settings and apply some rhythm you need to do nothing else because you'll also max-out much of your weapons stats within an hour (worth of battles, an hour of 13 is mostly cut-scene). Because the Cryterium is so over simplified because it artificially limits your skill progression because it only allows you to progress your job after a mini-boss later in the game (hours later). It's structured like the Level, a fricken hallway, there's no choice you hold a button and fill the stats till you upgrade otherwise the boss will be too easy in you new HIGHER level.

Believe me spend about 20 minutes exploring the system you take any kind of challenge or thought right out of the rest of the game

It really should be "Flaws".

And that's not getting to how the score system works which is a headache of it's own to think about but boils down to "win fast as shit!" because the numbers are ultimately meaningless!

!!

There is soo much wrong with that game I've barely touched the surface of even the battle system believe it or not if I talked about the rest I'd foam at the mouth... Again.

FF8 had a few cool ideas though that i wished carried over a little better.

#43 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

It's not the "best" FF game but 8 is definitely my favorite. Junction system for lyfe! Fuck the ten-minute-long summons though.

#44 Edited by pyrodactyl (1961 posts) -

@xalienxgreyx said:

@shinjin977 said:

@ducksworth said:

Cold as ice

Final Fantasy IX is the best Final Fantasy ever made. I'd tell you to go into the settings and turn up battle speed but I feel like you'll be too busy extrating 100 magic spells from enemies for the next three months.

Too bad FF9 was so boring I bearly played 10 hours before dropping it. If I played more I might have noticed negative points other than the terrible chibi character design, the slow ass by the numbers story and the combat system straight out of 1990.

#45 Edited by gokaired (518 posts) -

@xalienxgreyx said:

@shinjin977 said:

@ducksworth said:

Cold as ice

Too bad FF9 was so boring I bearly played 10 hours before dropping it. If I played more I might have noticed negative points other than the terrible chibi character design, the slow ass by the numbers story and the combat system straight out of 1990.

Boring or not, at least it made sense :P

#46 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@gokaired said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@xalienxgreyx said:

@shinjin977 said:

@ducksworth said:

Cold as ice

NO It did absolutely not make any sense. Especially the last boss did not make sense at all. I think FFIX is because of its bad story, boring battlesystem and terrible Characters the worst FF ever made so far. At least from the main titles.Not even emo cloud 7 was as terrible as 9.

#47 Posted by Dasacant2 (221 posts) -

If I get this it will be the 5th time I have bought ff8. As much as I like it I think I'm going to have to pass.

#48 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@darji said:

@gokaired said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@xalienxgreyx said:

@shinjin977 said:

@ducksworth said:

Cold as ice

Final Fantasy IX is the best Final Fantasy ever made. I'd tell you to go into the settings and turn up battle speed but I feel like you'll be too busy extrating 100 magic spells from enemies for the next three months.end

NO It did absolutely not make any sense. Especially the last boss did not make sense at all. I think FFIX is because of its bad story, boring battlesystem and terrible Characters the worst FF ever made so far. At least from the main titles.Not even emo cloud 7 was as terrible as 9.

Final Fantasy IX has the best story in the series; from maintaining a focused theme, the phenomenal ending, the Black Mage's view on life and death, Kuja being the best villain in the series, the character development and their story arcs, a believable world full of life and character, incredible pacing, a main character who doesn't cut himself at night etc. Also it's heavily implied that Zidane is responsible to the death of Garnet's mother but that is for another day entirely.

Final Fantasy IX is a masterpiece that still holds up today and will so for many years. It's the game the original creators always wanted to make, and Hironobu Sakaguchi's favourite in the series.

Final Fantasy VIII has a good soundtrack, everything else goes to shit after Disc 1.

#49 Edited by Dasacant2 (221 posts) -

@xalienxgreyx said:

Final Fantasy IX has the best story in the series; from maintaining a focused theme, the phenomenal ending, the Black Mage's view on life and death, Kuja being the best villain in the series, the character development and their story arcs, a believable world full of life and character, incredible pacing, a main character who doesn't cut himself at night etc. Also it's heavily implied that Zidane is responsible to the death of Garnet's mother but that is for another day entirely.

Final Fantasy IX is a masterpiece that still holds up today and will so for many years. It's the game the original creators always wanted to make, and Hironobu Sakaguchi's favourite in the series.

Final Fantasy VIII has a good soundtrack, everything else goes to shit after Disc 1.

I really do like ff9 but Kujas design is terrible I don't mind people being effeminate or even cross-dressing but I can not take your villain seriously if you dress him in a purple thong with no pants.

#50 Posted by Sinusoidal (1379 posts) -

If you're playing JRPGs in a really grindy way where you just beat everything because you're overleveled then you must be having a really dull experience with them.

I love to grind until I can destroy everything. I don't find it dull at all. The progression is the reward.

RPGs are chill-time games. I get my challenges elsewhere.