#301 Posted by Silver-Streak (1328 posts) -

I'd love to play and contribute to the FC. In the interim (gave up after a few hours of trying), I have made alts on Fenrir, since it is currently Japanese off hours, and I can get in instantly there.

#303 Edited by SnakeLinkSonic (255 posts) -

Thank you very much for playing FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Currently, an extremely high number of players are enjoying the game. Should the number of players continue to increase at the current pace, there is the possibility that our expectations and server capacity will be greatly surpassed. Therefore, in order to maintain a stable gameplay environment, we are implementing login and character creation restrictions.

In order to be able to welcome a drastically greater number of players, we are starting as early as this week with preparations to increase our facilities, to be ready by early next week. Until that time, we will be continuing to implement these restrictions as required, and we ask for your understanding and patience.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, and once again thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/70022-NA-Regarding-Congestion-in-Japan-Data-Center-Worlds-%28Aug.-27%29?p=1083457#post1083457

*Clarification*

Thank you very much for playing FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

We would like to make a clarification regarding our previous announcement “Regarding Congestion in Japan Data Center Worlds (Aug. 27)” in which we stated that we are preparing to increase the capacity of our data centers.

The first half of the announcement regarding login and character creation restrictions was directed towards our players who would be playing during peak hours in Japan data center Worlds.

However, the second half of the announcement regarding increasing the capacity of our data centers was meant to also encompass North American and European data center Worlds and not just be limited to Japan data center Worlds.

We deeply apologize for causing concern amongst the North American and European community due to our lack of clarity. Capacity will be increased for data centers in all regions.

Once again, thank you for your understanding and cooperation to help us welcome more players to the game.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/0edd08e8117972bca5bb6abbb07c1574f8a6f73a

New data centers incoming.

#304 Edited by DudeSupreme (206 posts) -

Are you guys still taking in members? Id like to get an invite for my character, Ozric Rozaric if possible. Thanks.

#305 Posted by AltonBrown (948 posts) -

I'd like one as well. Olyver Winsome on Ultros. Thanks!

#306 Edited by AltonBrown (948 posts) -

Also, how do you shout? This is my first MMO, so I'm really not familiar with the ins and outs of chat...

#307 Posted by Seikenfreak (327 posts) -

Anyone made a shell on Sargatanas yet? I've got no one to talk to ;_;

#308 Posted by Snarkasaur (27 posts) -

Tried getting on Ultros for almost three hours last night. It might not be so bad, but the queue system is broken, so I only ever get in the queue maybe one out of 50 attempts. Real frustrating so far, but the time I've spent in the game has been excellent.

#309 Edited by SpudBug (633 posts) -

So I'm just playing on Ramuh. It's a japanese server but there are no NA servers available so that's what it is. Anyone else want to join me there for the time being? Name "Spud Bug"

#310 Edited by DeathTrap (225 posts) -

Yeah, I've been thinking about just doing a JP server, if I can find one with a big NA population. Pretty much never seem to have those locked out from creating new characters when I've tried.

EDIT: yeah, looks like Ixion is one of the JP servers with a big NA presence. Might as well make a character there so I can take a look around.

#311 Posted by Silver-Streak (1328 posts) -

@spudbug: @deathtrap: No idea if you guys want to join up with me and some of my other friends, but we've made characters on Fenrir (which should still be open to new characters, as it was this morning) seems to be a pretty large NA population during the day.

#312 Posted by Hector (3352 posts) -

Sorry I haven't interacted that much in the chat. Still need to get a keyboard for my PS3.

#313 Edited by EgoPoisoning (34 posts) -

EDIT: In Ultros as Durardi Melina.

Seems like Ultros is impossible to achieve (tried spamming refresh during the window when character creation on it -wasn't- blocked, but it was still full). Made a character on Fenrir (Stonestorm Pebcrown) so maybe I can end up hooking up with @spudbug's people. Still aiming to roll on Ultros when as the time becomes possible though.

Launches are thrilling!

#314 Posted by DeathTrap (225 posts) -

Haha! Finally on Ultros as Death Trap. Kinda surprised that name was available.

#315 Edited by SpiderguyZER0 (7 posts) -

Made a new character on Ultros just for this Aaige Vilmande will be his name still waiting on it to go through though, would be great if we could get something going on Balmung too once things settle down since my lvl 17 is on there.

EDIT: Balmung character name is Sierah Vilmande if anyone is on there too. Feel free to add, I'm on as much as possible given everything and college.

#316 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

Any euro players around? Not made a character yet, wondering what server to make it on;)

#317 Edited by insane_shadowblade85 (1381 posts) -

So, I decided to make a new character on Ultros (took a while of refreshing the server page) and getting a better connection than on Gungnir (JPN). I have to say, I made Ul'dah my home city like my original character from 1.0 and it's awesome and all, but my original character got to experience Gridania's opening. They had moogles! Anyway, my character's name is Senra Yin. I'll try and contact someone later on but if someone from the guild sees me, an invite would be great.

#318 Posted by BirthWild (256 posts) -

Still room left in company? I'm hoping to get the digital upgrade once I can purchase it and hop back into the FFXIV world.

#319 Posted by SnakeLinkSonic (255 posts) -

Fayt brought it to my attention recently, but it might be better in the long run to start looking at this stuff now. If we break 250 members, I'm gonna open a forum for us, but I want some input on where we should primarily focus it. The options currently on the table:

1. Use something like guildworks
  2. Our own subreddit
  3. Use our official Lodestone forums
  4. Or of course, just keep using the Giant Bomb forums here

I'll leave it up to you guys on where we should focus that stuff. It doesn't need to be decided on right now, but we are growing pretty healthily by the day. We're also catching some overflow from other big name sites like reddit and GAF who have already hit the member limit on their companies (even folks from other servers). We still have lots of space left in the company and the only thing hamstringing the growth is the server stuff right now.

@birthwild: Plenty of space in the Company, just not on the server at the moment. If you're make it on Ultros though, it's easy enough to get an invite.

#320 Edited by Chumley_Marchbanks (87 posts) -

I think Guildwork is probably the best option. The Lodestone forums are really slow and garish, and Giant Bomb and Reddit can't be as flexible as a custom forum.

#321 Posted by SnakeLinkSonic (255 posts) -

Official post by Yoshida. [link]

Further Details on Access Restrictions

This is FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn producer and director Naoki Yoshida and I would like to take the time to personally apologize once again to all those players who have been affected by the extended World login and character creation restrictions which have been in place for the past several days. I also understand that apologies will not help you get logged in, so I would like to give you an update on the situation at hand and the various measures we are currently employing to alleviate the situation.

Concurrent Connections
On the night following the announcement of our plans to temporarily limit sales of the download version, A Realm Reborn recorded upwards of 218,000 concurrent connections. This is in spite the fact that the peak login times for separate regions around the world arrive at differing intervals. We estimate that without time zone differences, the total number of concurrent connections would number anywhere from 300,000 to 350,000.
As many of you know, this is the second launch for FINAL FANTASY XIV─something unprecedented in the MMORPG market. Considering the outcome of our first launch, our sales estimates for this one were decidedly conservative, as we believed that there would be a more gradual rise in users over the opening weeks and months.

Instead, to our pleasant surprise, we experienced tremendous support from a great number of players who were eager to get into the game from day one. To ensure that these players, once logged in, were able to play in a stable environment, we were required to implement login restrictions which kept server population near maximum capacity without exceeding those numbers.

The fact that we had to implement these restrictions is a direct result of my inaccurate sales and login estimates, and as producer, I must accept complete responsibility for this misstep. Each and every player who has been affected has my deepest apologies.

The Reasoning behind Login Restrictions
Each FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn World server has been designed to support a maximum of 5,000 concurrent connections. This is not the maximum number of characters which can be created on a World, however, but the maximum number of characters which can be logged into that World simultaneously. When more than 5,000 characters log into a World at once, there is a higher risk of server crashes and login errors. The restoration of crashed servers is usually followed by a rush of players attempting to log back in, which, in turn, puts a strain on our lobby server, and can ultimately have an adverse affect on all of the Worlds.
To prevent this from happening, we felt that the safest course of action would be to limit logins. However, we would like you to know that the restrictions are under constant surveillance. We are currently monitoring login numbers on all Worlds 24 hours a day, and actively removing/applying restrictions as soon as we detect even the smallest fluctuation in concurrent connection numbers.

Currently, peak login times for each region are occuring from approximately 9:00 p.m. to midnight. During this three-hour window, Worlds are more likely to have login restrictions implemented. These temporary restrictions are expected to continue until the time that we can execute the measures we have planned to alleviate the current situation. Those measures, including the addition of new World servers, are listed, in detail, below.

Character Creation Restrictions
As stated above, the maximum number of simultaneous connections each World server can handle is 5,000, while the number of characters which can be created on a World is several times that amount. This estimate of 5,000, however, is based on those characters being somewhat distributed over all the in-game areas (zones).

At the game’s start, however, while everyone is still at a low level, the majority of players are concentrated in the three city-states and surrounding areas. This can not only lead to a lack of enemies to slay (preventing quest progression), but also see area servers overloaded, and ultimately lead to crashes.
Fortunately, differences in total individual play time, login times, and character/class progression will eventually lead to players being more spread out within each World. Once this happens, there will be less need for both login and character creation restrictions.

As is the case with logins, our team is working around the clock, monitoring the current population of each area in each World, as well as the class level of each character, and adjusting new character creation restrictions based on their findings. Unlike login restrictions, we believe that character creation restrictions may take slightly longer to be removed, as there are still great discrepancies in the distribution of characters across Worlds, and we thank players for their patience and understanding in this issue.

Adding Worlds and Alleviating Server Load Issues
A server is essentially a high-spec PC, with each FINAL FANTSY XIV: A Realm Reborn World being made up of several of these machines. Creating a new World involves physically acquiring the servers, installing the necessary programs, and conducting internal functionality tests...all before opening the World to the public.
As the login data gathered from the Open Beta test (in which anyone, including those who had not purchased the game, could participate) was inconclusive, it was during the Early Access period that we had a clearer picture of the scope with which we would need to increase World capacity, and on the 25th of August began making preparations to do so significantly.

As of this post, the servers have been acquired, the essential programs installed, and we are currently in the process of conducting our internal tests. Once these tests have concluded and the Worlds go live, we believe we will be able to better accommodate a greater number of our players, making logging in less of a hassle.
In addition to increasing the number of Worlds, we are also optimizing the Duty Finder (party matching) management servers in an effort to reduce server load and ensure better stability when using this feature.

Currently, the Duty Finder servers split our data centers into two groups of 25 Worlds, and then do the party matching from players from within the same data center. We have determined that by adding new Worlds, the Duty Finder servers will not be able to process the additional data as long as there are only two pairings of groups to match from. Therefore, we have decided to create additional groups to alleviate this problem before it occurs, and by doing so, reduce the burden on the Duty Finder servers, and ultimately allow more players to access the feature.

The development and operations teams are curently concentrating 100% of their efforts into the aforementioned tasks and are on pace to have both completed by the beginning of next week and then released to the public once our final tests have concluded. Once a date and time for the implementation of the measures have been solidified, we will release another announcement on Lodestone outlining the details. We ask that you bear with us for just a few days longer while we make the final push.

Resolving AFK Character Issues
From several users on some of our more congested Worlds, we have received requests for a feature which automatically logs out characters who are AFK for an extended period of time. We are actively looking into the implementation of such a feature, but have deciced to first concentrate our efforts on increasing the number of Worlds and optimizing the Duty Finder servers.

In Conclusion
The development and operations teams are working diligently to combat the login issues which many of our users are currenlly facing, and ask for your continued patience and understanding over the next several days as we move to solve these problems.
To thank all of you for bearing with us for so long, we will be looking into different ways to reward our loyal fans and customers, such as an extention of the free trial period. Details on the plans we have in the works will be announced shortly.

In conclusion, I would like to say that we have been overwhelmed with the positive response for A realm Reborn, which is why it doubly pains us to implement any sort of measure that may restrict people from joining us in Eorzea. We sincerely apologize for the unwanted stress these restrictions have caused, and thank you immensely for the understanding you have shown over the past week. The fixes are almost in place and we look forward to seeing all of you very, very soon.
Thank you.

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Producer & Director Naoki Yoshida
#322 Posted by Silver-Streak (1328 posts) -

@snakelinksonic: Hmm...so while it touches lightly on it, it seems like their upcoming fixes are actually just more worlds and an improvement to the duty finder. It sounds like currently packed worlds don't actually have a resolution. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.

If I'm not wrong, Ultros is pretty much borked unless people transfer away.

#323 Posted by dropkickpikachu (48 posts) -

I'm in on Ultros as New Dad. Is there an easier way to see who's online from a certain Free Company than to individually search their names? I'm currently fishing for invites but it's hard as hell to find someone who's online and able to do so.

#324 Posted by Jnal (213 posts) -

Just bought this today and getting it installed as we speak. I've played MMOs in the past but never really got into them because I usually only solo stuff and get bored and quit. Hopefully playing with people from here can actually get me into an MMO properly this time.

#325 Edited by SnakeLinkSonic (255 posts) -

@eujin: Yeah, if worse DOES come to worse, we can all transfer to another server (I really only want that to be a last resort though). We do get our first world transfer free if I understand correctly, so yeah---there's always that option. I'll be really surprised though if Ultros stays as packed as it is long term. There's only a few other worlds that aren't having problems anyway. They really just need a better queue and some kind of afk-boot. I don't mind waiting in a line, but spamming A for three hours to get in is just not gonna work for me.

#326 Posted by SpiderguyZER0 (7 posts) -

Finally on the server after like a 3 hour wait. Aaige Vilmande, can someone please send an invite?

#327 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4248 posts) -

The worst is when it puts you into a queue, goes to a loading as if you're about to get to play, then proceeds to 1017 you.

*sigh* Game crashed like 9 hours ago or something and I've been trying every now and then to get in but that shit clearly ain't workin. I imagine the number of people going afk is only going to get higher too as the days go on so that sorta makes things extra shitty. I voiced my concerns about potential server issues during phase 4, but goddamn, I didn't think it'd be this bad. This whole thing is kinda depressing for a variety of reasons, but mostly because Yoshida and his team have kinda been knocking it out the park for a while now but then this happens and it seems as if a significant amount of the goodwill they built up has been for nothing.

On the bright side, I got some fucking awesome leggings/leg-guards/boots/shoes/footwear/foot-things earlier today so that was nice. I assume I might find a pair I like better later on down the road, but even if I don't I'm pretty pumped. Now we just have to wait for patch 2.1 to drop the customization system on us.

#328 Posted by kagato (886 posts) -

As someone who works as in IT professional who literally just had our own servers fell over this morning and then had everyone try to log in at once....i kind of have an understanding of the issues Square are facing. Everyone expects to get in to do their work, they have no appreciation for those outside of their own area trying to log in and dont realise that everyone in ever office is doing the same thing and will completely bombard the system with failed log in attempts until they get in. Its not easy and its a thankless task, you spin up too many servers, they dont get used to capacity and management starts breathing down you back because you are "wasting" money and resource, but you dont put enough in and mangement are angry because you should have been psycic and known exactly how many users would want to log in every single day.

Its not exactly the same but i see many parallels with my work, i feel for those guys because the game is genuinely great and those not getting to play are missing out on something fun, i just hope folks stick around and bare with it.

#329 Edited by SnakeLinkSonic (255 posts) -

@kagato said:

As someone who works as in IT professional who literally just had our own servers fell over this morning and then had everyone try to log in at once....i kind of have an understanding of the issues Square are facing. Everyone expects to get in to do their work, they have no appreciation for those outside of their own area trying to log in and dont realise that everyone in ever office is doing the same thing and will completely bombard the system with failed log in attempts until they get in. Its not easy and its a thankless task, you spin up too many servers, they dont get used to capacity and management starts breathing down you back because you are "wasting" money and resource, but you dont put enough in and mangement are angry because you should have been psycic and known exactly how many users would want to log in every single day.

Its not exactly the same but i see many parallels with my work, i feel for those guys because the game is genuinely great and those not getting to play are missing out on something fun, i just hope folks stick around and bare with it.

It's going to suck terribly for them if they do end up shelling out for more data centers only to have 30-50% the install base bail after the first month. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened either.

#330 Edited by CaLe (3897 posts) -

So I bought this game a while ago for some reason, and now I have an activation code that I'm not gonna use. Can someone here use it to add game-time to their account, or will it only work for new accounts?

#331 Posted by EgoPoisoning (34 posts) -

Clocking time much of the day on Ultros as Durardi, in case someone can fire me off some invites.

#332 Posted by Snarkasaur (27 posts) -

I honestly wouldn't mind full servers if there were a working queue system. That seems kind of basic stuff to me, that even WoW managed around launch time, and that was almost a decade ago.

#333 Posted by newhaap (416 posts) -

@snarkasaur: If I understand correctly they do have a queue system, you'd see it sometimes. But in order to get in the queue you'd have to be logged in first.

So the times you don't see the queue is when they disable the login server (I think this is when you see the 1017 error) to avoid the server crashing from people furiously attempting to login all at once.

Not defending them, but just sharing my understanding from Yoshida's last mail that there are a couple of issues: servers being full, and everyone not currently logged in all trying to login multiple times at once.

#334 Edited by WarlordPayne (694 posts) -

I have to say, after reading Yoshida's posts about this stuff I understand how he won over the players from 1.0. He seems very honest about what's going on and explains in detail everything that is happening, why it's happening, and what they're doing to fix it. All while personally taking responsibility for the problems and apologizing.

It still sucks for all the people having problems, but I have a lot of respect for the guy.

#335 Posted by newhaap (416 posts) -

@warlordpayne: Absolutely, if it wasn't for Yoshida I wouldn't have kept coming back to v1 to check out the updates they made to it, and continued to pay the subscription fee when they started it again.

#336 Edited by Silver-Streak (1328 posts) -

@snakelinksonic: Do we want to start planning out a potential backup server to migrate to at this point? Or should we wait to see what Monday looks like first?

#337 Edited by mills (4 posts) -

We need more people that can set the XP buff and things

Almost 5-6 hours with the buff down because nobody was on :/

#338 Edited by loudology (205 posts) -

Can anyone send me a FC invite? My character's name is Exegesis Vheissu.

#339 Posted by loudology (205 posts) -

Can anyone send me a FC invite? My character's name is Exegesis Vheissu.

#340 Edited by SnakeLinkSonic (255 posts) -

@eujin: Tuesday evening until early Wednesday morning 7:00PM - 5:00AM (CST) is supposedly when they're gonna start adding the new worlds. Today will be as horrible to get in as any other weekend, as it's Labor Day and most people in the U.S. are off. Like I said before though, shifting servers is only going to be a last resort, and we don't really have access to it for about another week or two anyway. Using the free transfers is the only way to realistically do it---just switching over servers is asking people to abandon the work they've already put in and I won't ask that. It would end up being a logistical nightmare for the Company.

What Yoshida describes above however, will only mitigate Ultros's problems, it won't make them disappear (assuming something wasn't lost in translation). Nothing is gonna erode this constant hammering on servers but the actual paywall and people losing interest. The former is problematic because people who bought the game brand new still have over 30 days of free time (and there's already a rumor of compensating people for the trouble they've already had). This stacks with the two week period some 1.0 people were granted (I had 42 trial days last I checked). The next big game with enough weight to help the latter process along is GTAV, which is two weeks off still.

Even if we did move servers, the problems would still be there, just to a lesser and greater degree on others. Most of the servers in general are hamstrung right now.

I honestly hope I'm wrong about Tuesday/Wednesday not making much of a difference but we'll see. All I'm really hoping for is some kind of better implemented queue/login system. AFK-kick would be nice, but I don't think they're prioritizing it.

#341 Posted by Snarkasaur (27 posts) -

At this point I'm playing on Lamia because I've actually been able to log on to it. If they do give us some server transfers, I'll try to get back to Ultros, assuming its ever a playable server. It seems like a hotspot (maybe due to FF6 love?).

#342 Edited by SnakeLinkSonic (255 posts) -

@snarkasaur: That's a good idea. They seemed to have mostly addressed the login issues, but can't really do much other than mitigate overpopulation. There will definitely be a spot here for you when you make it here though.

Also, I've updated the news in the OP:

9/4/2013

Well, whatever happened last night in the maintenance has helped most people from what I've seen. The errors are still around, but most of the issues seem to be tied to a 3102 error now instead of the 1017 error, the latter of which was something associated with the high number of concurrent logins. 3102 is specifically related to the servers not recognizing your account has logged out, so people simply have to wait before they're able to login again. Sometimes it's less than ten minutes, sometimes it's an hour but it beats hammering away at the login screen until you brute force your way into the game. I've been testing out logging off and on since the servers came back up this morning and aside from one ten minute 3102, I've been able to log right in each time with a less-than-minute queue if not immediately.

However, character creation has stopped again (on almost all the worlds too) so, what I will advise for the moment is that if you simply want to just play the game, use one of the two new servers they've given North American users (one new one for Japan) or a less populated server. It's less frustrating than trying to force your way onto Ultros right now. They'll allow server transfers later this month (of which the first transfer is rumored to be free) and you're more than welcome to join after switching. We're not exactly a small Company, but we're also nowhere near the cap at the moment, so I don't think space will be an issue, even if we keep growing at our current rate. Even if that does become a problem, I'll just start using a reservation list again until everybody is able to get on as more problems are solved and the flash-in-the-pan players move on. Some people are still able to get new characters on the server in random intervals, but don't stress yourself out over it unless you're just really patient and determined to get here immediately.

#343 Posted by Wraith1 (555 posts) -

yay I was able to log in earlier today and play for a bit, so I'm going to be on later tonight to see if I'm still able to log in

#344 Posted by nadesico33 (37 posts) -

Well, its officially prime time in the US. I was able to get on earlier in the day, but now...

You guessed it: 1017. :P

#345 Edited by SnakeLinkSonic (255 posts) -

An actual giant bomb. Har har.

#346 Edited by cornwalliz (214 posts) -

I would also like an inivite, Petrus Blackdale in Ultros

#347 Posted by SnakeLinkSonic (255 posts) -

@drcornwalliz said:

I would also like an inivite, Petrus Blackdale in Ultros

When will you be online? I don't see you.

#348 Posted by TooWalrus (13130 posts) -

Hm. I'm not sure why, but I was actually anxious to play this after Unprofessional Fridays, but it's still not available for purchase. That's too bad- I've got the urge to mess around in a character creator.

#349 Posted by TheHT (10810 posts) -

Hm. I'm not sure why, but I was actually anxious to play this after Unprofessional Fridays, but it's still not available for purchase. That's too bad- I've got the urge to mess around in a character creator.

It's bizarre, I'm still not entirely sure why I went from 0 to 60 on this one. It's not some "want what you can't have" thing because I wanted to buy it before they stopped selling it but was apprehensive since I had zero interest prior to... suddenly having interest.

Anyways, you can download and mess around with the character creator here.

#350 Posted by TooWalrus (13130 posts) -
@theht said:

@toowalrus said:

It's bizarre, I'm still not entirely sure why I went from 0 to 60 on this one. It's not some "want what you can't have" thing because I wanted to buy it before they stopped selling it but was apprehensive since I had zero interest prior to... suddenly having interest.

Anyways, you can download and mess around with the character creator here.

I think I know exactly what hit the trigger for me- it's funny how something as little and silly as the background music in the character creator during the live show could flip that switch in my brain.