#1 Posted by 360fov (36 posts) -

I've found contradicting responses to this across the Internet, so I'm hoping GB can bring some clarity.

I own the PC version, currently in Early Access - I understand I have to buy the PS3 game to get access to the PS3 version (although I have the beta client) - that's true right? Can you continue playing a character between the 2 platforms or are they mutually exclusive?

Thanks

#2 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@360fov said:

I've found contradicting responses to this across the Internet, so I'm hoping GB can bring some clarity.

I own the PC version, currently in Early Access - I understand I have to buy the PS3 game to get access to the PS3 version (although I have the beta client) - that's true right? Can you continue playing a character between the 2 platforms or are they mutually exclusive?

Thanks

Both the PC and PS3 versions of the game share the same servers. Assuming you have both the PS3 and PC versions of the game, you should be able to access your characters on either version of the client.

#3 Posted by 360fov (36 posts) -

Tremendous, thanks. Do you know if PS3 users get early access? (not that it's even working on PC right now anyway...)

#4 Posted by cbarnes86 (559 posts) -

@360fov: Pretty sure they do. I remember hearing on forums people talking about their PS3 early access code. I don't know from experience though.

#5 Edited by Zeik (2538 posts) -

I'm currently playing early access on the PS3, so yes.

#6 Edited by Turkalurch (198 posts) -

I'm really debating getting the PS3 version so I can play on my couch instead of in my computer chair. Still on the fence though. How does it run on PS3? Is it a steady 30fps with the occasional lag(in busy areas) like other PS3 games?

#7 Edited by Zirilius (668 posts) -

I'm really debating getting the PS3 version so I can play on my couch instead of in my computer chair. Still on the fence though. How does it run on PS3? Is it a steady 30fps with the occasional lag(in busy areas) like other PS3 games?

It's not bad. It's pretty consistent when you are doing the solo content but once you start getting into the larger fights you'll start seeing a dip in framerate.

Graphically it's pretty bad when you compare it to the PC version but it runs really good for a console MMO.

#8 Posted by 360fov (36 posts) -

I ordered the PS3 version today...a bit overkill, but I've got both versions now...which begs the question: does the monthly subscription cover both? I'm presuming it does, as it's either an active, or an inactive account, regardless of platform...hope I'm right.

I cannot logon to the Shiva server no matter how much I try - it's perma-full so I've had to roll a new chat on Cerberus instead. Still, the game is great. I suspect it may be one of the last great MMO's of this type, along with Elder Scrolls Online... Guild Wars 2 represents where MMOs are probably going, in terms of structure, but we're not quite there yet...the MMO to really nail some strong sandbox gameplay features, coupled with decent narrative and friction-less leveling/questing (like GW2), will be the one to move the goal posts for MMOs ("MMO 2.0")...is my guess. That, or the MMORPG-style game goes the way of point-and-click and falls out of relevance for a decade or so, to be superseded by some entirely different style of game, before making a triumphant return taking advantage of whatever insane technology powers our gaming experiences in 2025....well that was a tangent, time to get back on track: Chocobo.

#9 Edited by Zirilius (668 posts) -

@360fov said:

I ordered the PS3 version today...a bit overkill, but I've got both versions now...which begs the question: does the monthly subscription cover both? I'm presuming it does, as it's either an active, or an inactive account, regardless of platform...hope I'm right.

One sub to rule them all!

#10 Edited by 360fov (36 posts) -

@zirilius said:

@360fov said:

One sub to rule them all!

awesome!

#11 Edited by Dacnomaniac (442 posts) -

I still don't understand the whole cross-platform thing. What about PvP, surely PS3 users will get stomped by the PC users...

#12 Edited by churrific (483 posts) -

@dacnomaniac said:

I still don't understand the whole cross-platform thing. What about PvP, surely PS3 users will get stomped by the PC users...

Hm. Leads me to a question too. Can you use kb/m on the ps3 to play?

#13 Posted by Zirilius (668 posts) -

Probably but I don't come to FF for my PvP experience. There are better games for that.

#14 Posted by cigaro (28 posts) -

So is it possible to buy the PS3 version, get the game time, and then download the PC client and just login on there since the account is shared on both platforms?

#15 Posted by Belegorm (458 posts) -

You'd think that, but the method of controlling with a pad is really original and good. I play with a dualshock on my pc and I'm quite sure I'm not at any disadvantage compared to mouse and keyboard players. Targeting is about the same as tab-targeting, but where the controller really pulls ahead is that you have very easy access to 24 abilities with 2 button presses and it's probably faster than doing that on a keyboard (you can make space for more abilities with a few more button presses).

Also if anyone has a computer that's 4-5 years old, or newer, you'll probably see better performance out of that than the ps3 version. The ps3 version is serviceable but if you really want a console version I'd definitely go for the ps4 version when that comes out.

Also I can play on my couch since I've got a decent sized computer monitor and I play with a gampad :)

#16 Posted by Corvak (1127 posts) -

Its just announced that PS3 owners will be able to play on PS4 without any additional cost.