#1 Edited by SnakeLinkSonic (267 posts) -

I enjoyed the first two phases, but I skipped this past weekend's as I don't see the point in putting more time in if we're getting wiped between the next three phases. I am however, interested in the controller support, Grand Companies, and seeing how the data centers work out for lag and whatnot, so I'll be popping in and out sporadically between them all.

Also, emphasized because of NDA: General impressions.

#2 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Is it more like XI?

#3 Posted by EXTomar (4641 posts) -

I would be very interested in seeing someone report on this as well. What changed and what not.

#4 Posted by newhaap (420 posts) -

Also General impressions (thanks for the NDA reminder :p)

The first version of the game felt really lacking for me, both in terms of mechanics and content. With this 'rebirth' it feels more like a standard MMO, which is not saying a lot at all, but is still a huge improvement from the previous version.

I am more interested in the gathering and crafting portion, since it involves a mini game with character skill usage, almost like combat, and it doesn't just involve staring at a progress bar. I haven't really got into it though, so I'm hoping it's not as impenetrable as the previous version where you have to discover recipes and spend a LOT of time developing different crafting disciplines before you can make something even remotely useful.

I think the FATE system is a nice addition too, where events happen randomly and everyone can just join in ala Rift & Guild Wars 2. Doesn't feel quite right yet but no doubt they'll be tweaking it.

#5 Edited by SnakeLinkSonic (267 posts) -
@barrock said:

Is it more like XI?

Nah, it's going for a more all-encompassing GW2/WoW-like setup, but just saying that is in itself a little disingenuous. They've definitely scaled it back so that anyone can jump in now, what will really determine what keeps the hardcore crowd around is not something we're gonna see until at earliest, Phase 4.

@extomar said:

I would be very interested in seeing someone report on this as well. What changed and what not.

It's much more streamlined compared to XI and XIV 1.0, so where you're gonna end up on that will probably be reliant on how you liked those two.

@newhaap said:

Also General impressions (thanks for the NDA reminder :p)

The first version of the game felt really lacking for me, both in terms of mechanics and content. With this 'rebirth' it feels more like a standard MMO, which is not saying a lot at all, but is still a huge improvement from the previous version.

I am more interested in the gathering and crafting portion, since it involves a mini game with character skill usage, almost like combat, and it doesn't just involve staring at a progress bar. I haven't really got into it though, so I'm hoping it's not as impenetrable as the previous version where you have to discover recipes and spend a LOT of time developing different crafting disciplines before you can make something even remotely useful.

I think the FATE system is a nice addition too, where events happen randomly and everyone can just join in ala Rift & Guild Wars 2. Doesn't feel quite right yet but no doubt they'll be tweaking it.

I'm enjoying where they're going with it right now, and the speed of the combat and stuff like FATE is definitely a plus for me; I have not been able to get into much crafting yet, I may check it out in phase two, but what you're describing makes me want to go see what's changed there. I never made it very far as a carpenter in 1.0, so I'm curious as to how that's all gonna come together this time.

#6 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1818 posts) -

I thought it was pretty fun from what i played

#7 Posted by newhaap (420 posts) -

@snakelinksonic: The crafting & gathering is actually not much different from before, but the risk & reward system and the effect of your skills are made much much clearer.

#8 Posted by SnakeLinkSonic (267 posts) -

@newhaap: I'll have to check it out when phase two starts, thanks.

#9 Edited by ESREVER (2682 posts) -

I reaaallllllly enjoyed the beta phase that just ended. I really wanna play some more, but can't. Shortest beta weekend ever.

#10 Edited by newhaap (420 posts) -

@esrever: It's over already? I messed up, shouldn't have spent all that time playing Dark Souls...

What was new? I noticed that they've put in some gamepad functionality but I couldn't map the action buttons.

EDIT: Oh wait, I don't think I violated the NDA right? Right? Anyway, NDA reminder :D

#11 Posted by PontiusPyrite (32 posts) -

I can't stand having to wait til June for phase 3. This is the longest month...