How is everyone liking the Pitioss Ruins? (minor endgame spoilers)

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

After reading Kotaku's sales pitch for an interesting, combat-free endgame dungeon (http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xvs-secret-dungeon-is-one-of-the-coolest-1789514516), I've given it a try tonight. I'm still far from finishing, but I'm kinda blown away that this thing is a secret locked away in the endgame. There are some Mario-Galaxy-class platforming concepts in that thing. All I can think is that some poor Squeenix designer really wanted to make a Mario game after 10 years of building an unreleased RPG. I really enjoyed the rest of the game, but this thing is a real gem. I'm curious to know what anyone else who has started it thinks about its puzzles, how well the platforming works with the laggy input, or anything else.

peachesrcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made a bee-line for it after I beat the game and really enjoyed it, I didn't have much hate of it like I'm seeing some places. I hope we see more of this type of thing in future games or DLC.

I hope Brad beats the game soonish since I want a Breaking Brad where he plays through it.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it took me 7 hours total ... but it was so satisfying , i got stuck in a few areas but it turns out i was overthinking things in most cases ,trying to make impossible jumps that seemed like the only way to progress , such a surreal experience , so many troll treasures.

the major travesty is the genji gloves item is just terrrible , (it just gives 30% lightning/dark/bullet resist)

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peachesrcool said:

I hope Brad beats the game soonish since I want a Breaking Brad where he plays through it.

OMG, now I do, too.

@envane said:

it took me 7 hours total ... but it was so satisfying , i got stuck in a few areas but it turns out i was overthinking things in most cases ,trying to make impossible jumps that seemed like the only way to progress , such a surreal experience , so many troll treasures.

the major travesty is the genji gloves item is just terrrible , (it just gives 30% lightning/dark/bullet resist)

So many tip-toeing journeys onto narrow ledges only to receive "5 x Potion" and fall when trying to turn around.

After playing through The Last Guardian as well this week, I'm even more impressed with this dungeon. Both games have fairly sloppy input handling for platforming purposes, but this dungeon used its limited toolset to delight me every few minutes. TLG, in contrast, just kinda asked me to find the next-highest platform or ledge and jump.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished it yesterday. Total time taken was around 3.5 hours. It's like the platforming sections in Destiny raids but just an entire raid made out of platforming sections. There were a lot of frustrating parts and fighting the game's wonderful atmospheric movement animations and delayed input didn't help either, making it easy to slip and fall because I need Noctis to face a specific direction, or there wasn't enough momentum and couldn't make the jump. Ultimately, it was a fun, challenging experience performed nowhere else in the game, and for good reason. The 2D segment was pretty cool. The segment before it with the tilted floors was almost rage-inducing with the jumps you have to make along with making you double guess what constitutes as a surface you can walk on.

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was cool as shit. Some of the character movements pissed me off but so far, it's the only end game dungeon I have tried.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess there was a thread on the subject... Just got the black hood. That's not the end is it? That already felt like a descent into madness. Ok, back to it.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@purplepartyrobot: Notic's animation and the input lag is what killed any joy I could have gotten from this dungeon. Worst five hours for sure.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShadyPingu

Pitioss ruins are bananas. It took 3 hours to get through, then I had to go back to get the Genji Gloves (a mistake, as they're not that good). Noctis' input scheme makes actually playing it suboptimal, but that it exists at all is just so crazy I couldn't help but appreciate it. Plus, the Black Hood is pretty nice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6
deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Went to it today right after beating the game because I was so curious. It really pissed me off in spots but overall it was cool and completely different from anything else in the game. I got the black hood but not the gengi gloves so I'm curious as to where those are. Looking forward to doing the rest of the end game content.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@marco724: Shiva Statue's Navel

I had fun, it's certainly much more interesting than the other postgame dungeons (as someone who enjoys the combat).

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Even if the controls were far from ideal for a dungeon of this type, the very concept was really interesting and the design of the dungeon overall I found fantastic.

I actually really enjoyed it, even if parts of it actually pried an audible "oh come the fuck on" from me, the first time a game has done that in just about forever.

I almost did a spit take at the side scrolling portion of the dungeon.

Landing the Regalia Type-F without crashing and burning was the worst part of the whole ordeal.

darklingscribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally 100%ed this dungeon, I was mainly doing it because most of the secret areas here have 4x Oracle Ascension Coins at the very end. I almost want to say this single dungeon has a total of around 40 coins and I needed them all because I was trying to use the coins to purchase a ribbon for every member of my party.

It took me at least 7 to 10 hours to find everything in this dungeon mainly because the controls in the game just aren't platforming friendly. I finally started to get the hang of it after several hours when I learned that Noct would automatically stop his momentum and stick the landing if I just let go of the joystick right before he touches down, that is of course only if the jump didn't trigger his roll animation which seemed to happen only if he jumped from a much higher place than his landing point. If anything I feel the difficulty of this dungeon could be halved if they simply put in a few more control options for the player. First this place screams out for the game's need to have a button press that would get Noct to face in the same direction as the camera without moving his feet, basically a control that allows the player to pivot in place. The second thing that would have helped immensely is an option in the menu to turn down the sensitivity of the analog joystick that controls movement, the game gives you very little wiggle room between standing still and jogging, I needed Noct to walk slowly most of the time in this dungeon and it's way harder to do in this game than it should be.

Despite this I did love this dungeon and the huge amount of creativity on display here was impressive. It makes me hope that we see more platforming from Square Enix in the future either in Final Fantasy XV or in another game. I only hope that they spend a some more time refining the controls if they do.