Interview with Tabata explains things in the new trailer

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The trailer in question is here (it is different from the english version of the trailer posted a few days ago).

Kotaku translated the interview he gave after showing the trailer. It goes to into fairly substantial details of scenes in the trailer. One thing that I'm really impressed with Tabata is this when he says:

but if [the full game] comes out and it doesn't have everything, just assume 'he couldn't do it.'

Can you imagine any Triple-A developer ever saying something like this? Let alone a Japanese dev. The guy is refreshingly honest.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Loading Video...

I just saw the trailer and I think it looks amazing. The English voice acting sounds good and I'm glad to see that they are building upon the KH combat system. I'm still wondering if we'll eventually see the menus to select special abilities or of they are all going to be mapped to the controller.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Caught the trailer last night. Game of forever continues to amaze.It just looks fucking incredible.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Please be good, this is the only FF game I really give a damn about. It looks nice, the voice acting seems fine to me (the lip synch is what's bothering me right now) and I really like that Atlas inspired enemy towards the end.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pyrodactyl

Wow, I like everything about this. This game becomes more impressive every time they show it off. Really looking forward to the crew quicklooking that demo next year.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Corevi

Hopefully I don't have to pay 4 bucks for the Japanese voices, because watching anime-ass anime in english is weird to me.

No Caption Provided

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot overstate how much I like the idea of a road trip Final Fantasy.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And that mechanic girl in the trailer is aparently ''Cid''-ney. A-mazing.

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Bleshoo

I kind of want to get Type-0 HD just for the XV demo now...

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By anywhereilay

Looks cool; script still sounds awful though.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I've heard much worst in Metal Gear Scanlon this week and Drew/Dan tought it was still impactful somehow

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

At least the gameplay will be decent. The characters, the script, and oh my god voice acting, are the opposite. Holy crap, that was awful.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: MGS2 is more than 10 years old. The tolerance for bad writing and voice acting is a lot lower now.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

This fucking game. I need it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@anywhereilay said:

Eh, I've heard much worst in Metal Gear Scanlon this week and Drew/Dan tought it was still impactful somehow

No way. Metal Gear dialog might as well be Proust compared to most of the stuff you find in Final Fantasy games. I mean sure Metal Gear is goofy, but it's not cringe-worthy.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#16  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Couldn't agree more. It brings back the exploration of the world in a big way - or so I hope, anyways.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bargainben

@humanity said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@anywhereilay said:

No way. Metal Gear dialog might as well be Proust compared to most of the stuff you find in Final Fantasy games. I mean sure Metal Gear is goofy, but it's not cringe-worthy.

And the thing is these are good voiceover dudes. These are the same people getting all the gigs in American games and the occasional cartoon. But like, poor direction and weird dialogue. They can only shine a turd so much before its like "well the director gave me no context for these lines and said 'good work moving on' after the first take so idk, I'm getting paid I guess". They're not hiring terrible voice actors, the pool is small. They just have a bad script coupled with a VA director just going through the motions getting all the work done instead of doing an especially good job making the interactions feel connected. And a bad script is bad regardless of language, so people acting like "its so much better in Japanese" well mmm nah, not unless they have a completely different script. But maybe the Japanese VA director puts a bit more time into quality control, who knows.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

That blonde dude has a very annoying, child-like VA in japanese. Kinda like a male Vanille. But I'm very surprised that the rather scrawny Noctis sounds like Kratos from God of War. Other than that, I have no real qualms with the english VA. Dude could use a BAWTH though...

Cringe-worthy is the script of FFXIII, every goddamn line. I felt like I was watching a parody of bad soap opera, wondering how anyone can ever mutter those words in any kind of situation. So I won't crap on this VA.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The dialogue isn't great but it is Final Fantasy so what can you expect? As long as the fix the lip synching for the NA release I am fine with it. The voices themselves seem pretty decent, better than most of XIII's. Noctis is probably the most generic sounding JRPG protagonist I have ever heard though.

Gameplay looks like it could be amazing, but could also end up being kind of shallow. Want to get my hands on it before I judge it.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@encephalon said:

Couldn't agree more. It brings back the exploration of the world in a big way - or so I hope, anyways.

I watched another video that was basically 15 minutes of those 4 guys driving and walking around. Looked kind of cool, I liked the road trip idea too.

I haven't really enjoyed the final fantasy series that much, I played through VI about 10-15 years ago. I tried VII and XIII and didn't enjoy them. Hopefully this turns out well! Also I like that you have to sleep to level up, reminds me of Morrowind/Oblivion lol.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aegon

The most badass part is when they just calmly walk up to the guards signalling for them to stop and and then proceed to run up to them at a dead pace and bust out their weapons. Pretty big F you.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@anywhereilay said:

I was talking about FF15. For now we have no indication the game will get anywhere the abysmal lows of the Raiden/Rose or Emma dialogue in MGS2

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@humanity said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@anywhereilay said:

I was talking about FF15. For now we have no indication the game will get anywhere the abysmal lows of the Raiden/Rose or Emma dialogue in MGS2

I think we can be pretty sure it will. Most MGS dialog, when it is bad, is done with a wink and a nod. Final Fantasy games have been very self serious for a while now with a lot of the funny and quirky parts from the 2D days left behind in favor of brooding and teenage angst. What is my destiny?!

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tuxfool
@humanity said:

Final Fantasy games have been very self serious for a while now with a lot of the funny and quirky parts from the 2D days left behind in favor of brooding and teenage angst.

I would say FF10 wasn't quite so self serious though the text was of average quality, and FF12 was really quite well done all around (barring from the major story beats themselves).