Which version are you playing first?

• 73 results
Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Poll Which version are you playing first? (211 votes)

Birthright 51%
Conquest 33%
I'm only playing Birthright 10%
I'm only playing Conquest 5%

Hey all, which version do you plan on buying first? Assuming we get the discounted DLC deal here, my plan is to play Birthright, then Conquest, then the neutral campaign when it's released. (Who am I kidding, even if we don't get the discount I'll be doing this)

Hearing that Birthright is going to be styled after Awakening (my favorite Fire Emblem game) and Conquest is going to be a more traditional Fire Emblem, I realized that for some people this will be a one game affair. I'm assuming there will be quite a few people who will only be playing Birthright, potentially scared off by the more hardcore difficulty of Conquest, or not caring for that style of Fire Emblem game. Hell, I'm guessing there will be people who make their choice on character design and story alone, which is completely understandable. As I understand from information from Japan, each game's core story is the same length as Awakening, with only the first 6 chapters shared between games and tons of side missions.

So, I pose the question! Will you be starting with the harder game and cruising through Birthright? Will you be like me, playing the easy game to get a hang of the new systems and then graduating to Conquest? Or is one of these games enough for you?

• 
GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm leaning towards Conquest first, story-wise it sounds pretty interesting.

I really wish I didn't have to "choose" games though. The whole "Your choice will have consequences" thing they talked about when they first announced the game falls kind of flat when it's actually two separate games and you're making the choice when you BUY THE GAME. It feels kind of unacceptable outside of Pokemon.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epidehl: I've been trying to figure out why people think this is super unacceptable for Fire Emblem but okay for Pokemon. Honestly, I think Pokemon is way worse in this case. Take this with a grain of salt because it's only impressions I've read from people who have the game in Japan, but the games are apparently wildly different. Different maps, way different mechanics, different characters and support dialogues, different stories entirely, etc. Really, what they should have done was say that they're making two different Fire Emblem games and releasing them at the same time. I agree the "your choice has consequences" bullshit was just that, but I don't have a problem with them releasing two games.

I do really hope we get the discount here though. The way it works in Japan is that if you buy one version the campaign from the other version is DLC for $20 and the third campaign will be $15. The package with all three is $80, so it's actually a worse deal.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm one of those suckers who is totally going to buy both campaigns regardless of what pricing format NoA decides to go down (especially if they do the "All-in-one" special edition like they did in Japan), but I figure I'll play the Nohr campaign (Conquest) first before doing Hoshido. What I've seen of it looks a bit more interesting scenario-wise, a lot more maps with objectives other than "Seize/Kill Boss".

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The discount would be nice. Though if both games do have just as much (or more) content as Awakening each as claimed, I wouldn't feel too burned paying full price for both. Then there's the whole 3rd campaign or game or whatever it is.

I think it's super rad though that they decided to give one game the world map casual-ish style of SS and Awakening, and the other a more traditional Fire Emblem experience. As much as I love having a world map to grind and become way overpowered, I do miss the tension of going from chapter to chapter with whatever the RNG has granted you.

I'm not sure which I'll play first though. I've been avoiding anything that mentions the games like the plague for fear of spoilers. But yeah, I'll probably play Birthright first to get a feel for the balance changes and new classes, then probably go hardcore into Conquest.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So... I am out the loop on this. Is this actually 2 separate games? Or is it different variations of the same game like Pokemon?

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheBlue

@thunderslash: It's two separate games. The first 6 chapters are the same for both, then they split off into two different campaigns with different stories, maps, and characters. Each one of the games is said to have as much content as Awakening.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'll decide when the game releases in English

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Conquest because it has better breeding stock

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I'll be playing Conquest first. I loved the hell out of Awakening, but it's certainly no FE7. I'm more interested in playing an FE game with better map design and a little more focus on tactics.

But there's basically no chance I won't play both unless they're bad somehow.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblue: I'm really excited for Conquest's classic Fire Emblem gameplay. I never actually finished any of the other games aside from Awakening, because I was a lot younger when playing them. Maybe I'll try and beat FE7 before Fates releases.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know :(

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ThunderSlash

@theblue: Oh okay. That's a pretty crazy business decision to have 2 games from the same series come out at the same time. Kinda reminds me of the GBC Zelda games actually.

dadjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not picking the game up just yet, but I'll play it in Japanese. As such, there is the special edition that includes both versions on one cart, but I dunno if I want the extra crap. If I get one version it'll be the white one because I like the boxart better.

Kebrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like comparisons to Pokemon are inadequacy. Pokemon both versions are largerly the same game, you might have a few pokemon that differ but you can trade for them. The villain team might be a slightly different color but the story is the same. This is a vastly different game for each route, only the tutorial (6 maps) are the same between them, plus there is a third route that is digital only. I think the best comparison would be Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons.

I just hope the pricing will be like how it was in Japan. With Both games being cheaper then a typical 3DS game, where it getting Conquest Physical and then Birthright Digital equals a normal 3DS game price.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MezZa

I'll be playing both, but I guess I'll start with birthright? I don't really have enough information on the differences and what each version entails to say for sure yet. With birthright being awakening styled and conquest being traditional, birthright sounds like the one I want to play first since I've only played awakening. I'll move onto conquest afterwards I suppose.

I do like the character design shown on the cover of the purple boxart more though. Is that conquest or birthright?

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GabrielCantor

@quid_pro_bono: I guess it's just because that's how Pokemon has always been and it theoretically serves getting kids to trade with each other and whatever (even if that's probably not much of a thing anymore). I suppose it's more betrayed expectations than anything else, I was looking forward to a Fire Emblem game with significant choice and it ends up just feeling like a way to make more money. It feels kinda scummy in a way I don't usually expect from Nintendo (again, outside of Pokemon).

However, I'll feel better about it if there's a good discount on all of it.

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By generic_username

There had better be a discount on it. Not that I won't end up with both versions anyway. Dammit. Maybe I shouldn't say that on a public forum.

Anyways, I'm probably going to be playing Birthright first. I'm not as hardcore of a strategy guy (I still play with permadeath on, don't look at me like that!) and Awakening was by far my favorite entry in the series, so something similar to is very much what I'm thirsting for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

No one seems to be mentioning the digital version of the game only comes with the two not one or the other.

Anyway I'll be playing Birthright simply because it has more feature and more unique new classes.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

I thought there was going to be a WiiU version or something lol

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Conquest because it has Captain America.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could have sworn they said a while back it would be one package when it was brought to the west.

Regardless, if the two campaigns are actually different and I'm essentially getting 2 full fire emblem games then great! I'll grab them both. If it's a much more minor difference then I'll just wait and see which is received better and get that one.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Dixavd

I still haven't finished awakening.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

@irvandus: you're right, but once you pick a side on the digital version it locks your game to that side forever, and you have to buy the dlc of the other story.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still kind of annoyed that they split the games. I think if I do get one of them, it'll be at pure random, because I know jack shit about either of them.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

I'm only getting Conquest. I do not support multiple versions. Nintendo misled everyone. The games were originally presented as having the player make a choice in game that could affect the storyline. It is one game that was split up into two because Nintendo got greedy. At least Pokemon has an excuse for two versions. Fire Emblem has none. We know Nintendo can fit both "versions" on one catridge because there's a special edition in Japan that has both storylines. If Nintendo doesn't offer a combined version for the West or heavily discount the other campaign, then I don't plan on getting either.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to go with Conquest, but after hearing the story is incredibly poorly written, and disappointing i'm leaning towards Birthright. Birthright has the new FE writer, and the story is loads better with many more emotional moments. Good to hear both versions have fantastic soundtracks though.

http://www.feshrine.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8470 Spoiler free review for Conquest.

But.... Conquest has guys like this........ ugh decisions, decisions.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

I'll start with Birthright, if I'm down for more FE afterwards I'll play Conquest.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

I'm still kind of annoyed that they split the games. I think if I do get one of them, it'll be at pure random, because I know jack shit about either of them.

If Awakening is the only FE game you have any experience with, Birthright is more suited for you. Conquest is more for old school FE fans that want a more linear stage progression as well as a higher difficulty.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I doubt I'll do both. Not sure which one to pick, though. I've only played Awakening (and adored it) so I'll at least check one of them out.

I wasn't someone who ever bought both versions of Pokemon.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really confused as to why people keep comparing this to Pokemon. This is two different games. Pokemon is the same game with a different legendary mascot and a few items and pokemon unique to each one.

@asilentprotagonist: I wouldn't exactly call that review spoiler free. Also, I'm not sure how much stake I would place in the quality of the story based on someone on a forum that imported the Japanese copy and didn't do any sidequests.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this happened, it kinda seems like people are blowing the whole thing out of proportion.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't clearly know what the differences are but I'll likely go with the one most similar to Awakening. I probably won't play both campaigns but if they are significantly different gameplay-wise I might give them both a shot, I'm not too bothered about the story stuff though.

ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblue: Since when do side quests have anything to do with the main story's quality in a Fire Emblem game. A very trustworthy review even if it's quite harsh.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ShadyPingu

Birthright, because glorious fantasy Nippon.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asilentprotagonist: I don't know, maybe they do in this game. I haven't played it. Side chapters certainly added extra story beats and character interactions in past games. All I'm saying is I personally wouldn't choose one over the other because a guy who posted a review on a forum didn't like the story. But that's interesting that the games have different writers?

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@socuteboss: Yeah, I really don't want this thread to involve this topic. From what I've heard that was based off a tumblr post about a bad fan translation which misconstrued the situation greatly, and was picked up by a lot news sites. I think there's probably a lot that was lost in translation from the Japanese version. The whole situation is a shitfest right now with no one even attempting to confirm things, just reporting on other reports, so I'm staying out of it for now.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MillaJ

@socuteboss: Someone on Tumblr gets some information, misinterprets and exaggerates it, and then the rest of Tumblr (and the internet at large) carelessly propagates the results. Seems to happen a lot. This is a pretty level-headed, informative write-up about it. Even just reading the translated dialogue floating around is enough to see how misplaced the outrage was.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irvandus: you're right, but once you pick a side on the digital version it locks your game to that side forever, and you have to buy the dlc of the other story.

Wait what? Is this true? I can imagine that some people might accidentally commit to a side without knowing the consequences if they did it that way.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderslash: that is how I understand it to work in Japan. I'm assuming they make it pretty clear that you can never change that though.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I've always liked griffins way more than wyverns so Ill only be playing birthright unless either side can use all units.

You know what, flying units were rigged anyway, I may just wait for reviews and play whichever has the better story in the English version.

I will only be playing one of them though - I hate when stuff like this has a mutually exclusive story (ie, if you were to play both they kinda retcon eachother... not the right word but you know what I mean).

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't know which one to get. Conquest sounds cool, but I liked being able to grind and stuff in awakening, which it sounds like you can't do in conquest. Also I think birthright has the tharja like character so I guess I'll be getting that one. Anyone know what characters are version exclusive?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I bought Conquest in Japan last year and played through it (on baby mode), so technically that one, but I'm going to start with Birthright in English. Conquest is no joke and I want to build up to it.

Forderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Conquest, baby.

Gimme that sick limited XP goodness. Playing Awakening was like a Chinese buffet: good in theory but in practice you gorge yourself.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want to play this but I think I'll wait for the inevitable bundle release later down the road

ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was lucky enough to get a SE. I'll be starting Birthright first, and save presumably Conquest the best for last.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, the game doesn't even have a release date in my country yet and I only just played through Awakening this week, so I have no idea if I'll want to play either when they come out. I haven't even seen a listing for the bundle that has a price on it, but if that's not insanely expensive I'll probably get that (and then never play Conquest because apparently it's hard and I'm bad at video games).

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Well, I did manage to get myself a pre-order for the special edition, so me getting all 3 at once remains true. I'll probably play Conquest first because I like Fire Emblem for the hardcore tactical murder and from accounts of those who have imported it it seems like the one to go for. But... Birthright and Revelation won't be far behind.

Shambala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: Currently only the Special Edition comes with all three bundled an is totally sold out.

It's Birthright all day long for me, as I love grinding and making super powered characters in these games. It makes death less likely but also hurt way, way more. I'm kind of viewing conquest and revelation as treats for getting through Birthright.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided