Any word on visual differences between the platforms?

serius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey Duders,

I'm usually prone to getting something on PC if its available but lately I have been enjoying getting things on the PS4 for various reasons, most recently The Witness.

Firewatch looks pretty gorgeous to me and I was wondering if anyone knew of any major discrepancies that are showing up between the platforms in relation to graphical performance etc.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Forkstik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Only thing i have heard is from the GamesRadar review, where they state some performance problems (FPS drops) and pop-ins. Other then that i think they are pretty much the same.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviewers have noted performance dips under 30fps at points during the game and the developers have admitted its a problem that they're working with Sony and Unity on trying to solve.

It's a bit annoying that it's the day of release before this comes out but that's just the way of the industry now right?

So if you've the option, maybe get it on PC. It'll be cheaper by a few bucks and it'll run better.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1080p and 30fps on consoles is probably the biggest difference, if that's a factor for you.

serius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the info guys - was away from the PC and wasn't able to respond but I think I might go PC based on your replies.

Reviewers have noted performance dips under 30fps at points during the game and the developers have admitted its a problem that they're working with Sony and Unity on trying to solve.

It's a bit annoying that it's the day of release before this comes out but that's just the way of the industry now right?

So if you've the option, maybe get it on PC. It'll be cheaper by a few bucks and it'll run better.

Yup, it is a little annoying its becoming a "normal" issue instead of a rare one. Making games is hard though, as our overlords do like to point out :)

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It hitches pretty badly when there are smoke effects on screen and there's plenty of texture popin on PS4.

mbman7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By mbman7

After playing through the whole game in a single session I wished had went with the PC instead of PS4 version. Stuttered really bad throughout and a couple hard locks. Frame rate seemed unusually inconsistent. Still, I enjoyed my time with it and the art style was amazing.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting steady hitching on the PS4. It's absolutely noticeable.

General_Desire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty though on PC. I have a mediocre laptop with an i7 (3 years old), gtx 670mx and 8gb ddr3 and I have to play on low everything on resolution 13xx*768. Witness defaults to pretty much high on 1080p and not much less is going on in that game. Luckily the visual style is such that I don't feel like the low resolution is an evil thing, and even on low the game is gorgeous.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LeStephan

Lot of hitches on ps4 and the bad draw distance of stuff like trees and foliage does kinda kill the mood for me, and there are very few of them compared to in the 'what is'(which I presume was pc on its highest settings?). Same goes for the grass, it sometimes just looks kinda empty and some textures are noticeably low res. This is the first game on ps4 so far that made me go 'damn, I wish I could play this on pc'.

Its totally playable mind you. It just looks kinda rough a lot of times as far as I've played AND it runs pretty poorly. The artstyle does save it somewhat but man does this look compromised to me. I do have to say that the lighting and skybox look absolutely great and stuff does look good sometimes as long as you cant see very far.The sound design is also goddamn amazing and the actual game is fantastic but we were talking about visual differences and in that regard it definitely is a day/night difference between ps4 and pc on higher(highest?) settings...... Maybe my tv is too big ? (42 inch isnt that big right?)

Curious what campo santo will be able fix post launch, I'm sure they tried their hardest but it looks like they just barely got this running on the ps4 to me.

Edit: and now Im not sure if I should wait for a patch first or just go ahead and play/finish it...

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, I think I'm officially going to upgrade my stance on this game to "pretty rough" on PS4. I've hit a sequence for the last 20 minutes where the frame rate has been really poor consistenly and a couple of extreme pop-ins of foliage right in front of my face.

I'm loving the look and atmosphere - so it's kinda bummin me out!