Is a 4th installment of Five Nights at Freddy's really necessary?

• 65 results
j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By j_unit2008

Poll Is a 4th installment of Five Nights at Freddy's really necessary? (203 votes)

Yay 23%
Nay 77%

So according to Kotaku this will be a thing this Halloween.

http://kotaku.com/five-nights-at-freddys-4-the-final-chapter-announced-1700474865#

I've never played any of the games (because let's face it, I'm a total sissy), but I have a basic understanding of how the game plays and what its hook is. Is there really a need for this or are they just trying to do a lot with a small concept? Is anyone here excited about this news?

• 
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Humanity

Let's just say that it's necessary in the same way that paying rent each month for that developer is necessary.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Necessary? Very, very few games are necessary. Tetris was necessary, and that's probably it.

I've never played a FNaF, but from what I've seen, the games themselves, while very basic in nature, seem to do what they set out to do just fine. Most of the hate they get, as far as I can see, comes from the fact that they are really popular among Twitch and YouTube personalities who constantly overreact the jump scares to make a few more clicks. Each new game introduces new mechanics, and the overall plot is advanced with each new game. If you ask me, this would have been better represented as an episodic game than in four standalone installments, but that's just me. The rate at which the developers has put out Five Nights at Freddy's games may be getting the market to near saturation, but, hey: the game found its niche. The people who like these games love these games, so more power to them.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sure, why not! FNAF has a created a hell of a cult following, and those people will gladly take this game, so if the creator wants to make it, people will consume it. Hopefully he takes some lessons from FNAF 2 and 3 and does some new stuff, but not overly complicated new stuff, and goes back to the jump scare roots.

Ain't nothing wrong with a guy just wanted to do more projects. And since this "smaller" indie game has already gotten so much attention via some websites and twitter for just mentioning another game is coming, I'm gonna guess many people are excited about the news.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think a third was necessary. But hey, if people still like the formula and the rapid release schedule, I don't see anything wrong with it. I do wish he'd take a year or so to come up with a more substantial and original sequel, though. There's plenty of potential left in the franchise if he would just take some time between games.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They are making a movie, so yeah these will continue.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: I think that is where the source of my ambivalence has come from. The guy has released 3 games at an astonishing rate so I'm kind of surprised that he would be able to put anything meaningful into a 4th entry.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think it's silly how fast they are putting out games but people seem to like them so do whatever I guess.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patrick will probably do a new Spookin' on his Youtube channel when this comes out, so I'm okay with it.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clairvoyantvibrations: That is an excellent point. I've now decided that this game is completely necessary solely for that reason.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I see this as being akin to yearly horror movie franchises. If people keep buying them, why should they stop making them? Supply and demand: economics 101.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Yes. Not because I'll ever play it, but because I want to see what kind of dumb word play they'll use for Five Nights of Freddy Five.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: I can understand why people want to make money.... I'm interested in finding out if people think that there's substantial game content that could be added to the series in such a short amount of time.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Was it necessary to make the first?

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

the series has proven its far from being creatively bankrupt just yet. i dont get all the negativity

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

They're dirt cheap and people enjoy them (except @upperdecker). Having a new game on Steam is certainly more visible than implementing new features as DLC.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No video games are "necessary". This is a dumb question.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the self aware subtitle of the thing. Can't wait for the fifth one, where Freddy will be replaced with a random dude and everyone bitching about it, even though it wasn't close to being the worst in the series... Sorry what were we talking about?

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@456nto: Sure, but within the context of a franchise it can be necessary to finish story arcs, add content, and whatnot.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: I can see that. Steam tends to have a shit ton of stuff on their front page so added visibility is probably a good idea.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Final Chapter, eh?
The Final Chapter, eh?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Youtubers need something to scream at while playing right?

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: I can understand why people want to make money.... I'm interested in finding out if people think that there's substantial game content that could be added to the series in such a short amount of time.

Maybe you shouldn't make topics about games you've never played.There's nothing substantial about it, but what's there is short, cheap, and enjoyable. Would you have been more inclined to accept it if it was titled episode 4 instead of game 4?

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By John1912

I read a couple months back that FNaF was pulling in 20k a day from the Iphone store alone. Not sure if that was just the first one, or all of them. I really need the motivation, and know how to make a cheap game :-/

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Youtubers need something to scream at while playing right?

This is also my point of view. Hypocritically, I will likely watch Patrick Klepek play it and be entertained when he screams.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dollah dollah bills y'all. Gotta make that paper! 4 games in less than 2 years is pretty crazy though.

Avatar image for deactivated-640902c98a1cd
deactivated-640902c98a1cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't hate on the guy following the money. And I won't lie, I do find the lore pretty fascinating, so I got no problem with it.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#27  Edited By sammo21

Yeah, more flash games that obnoxious "youtube personalities" pretend to be scared by for clicks and tons of people claim is scary when all it does is startle you with flash imagery.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't stand those game so I don't even think the original was necessary. But if I was that guy I would keep cranking them out as long as people are buying.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By j_unit2008

@punched: I think it's totally valid to gauge the interest of others on a game you haven't played. It can be called anything as long as it's a good game and people enjoy it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Nothing is necessary. None of this will matter in 1000 years.

Also "Yea".

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a third?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

The second one wasn't necessary. The announcement of a 4th is just stupid. I couldn't even finish the first one because once you get used to its one trick pony it's pretty boring

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a lot of folks here are missing the actually interesting part of these games - the hidden narrative.

Though, I sort of felt like the third game's stuff got a little silly and pretty much wrapped the entire mystery up, so I'm reticent on a whole other level than most of the folks in here seem to be.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

My niece really likes these games for whatever reason.

I don't know why the developer of them puts out so many of them so fast though. I blink and another one is released. I take it they're easy to make and sell decently well.

If one fails to make worth while money they'll probably stop making them. That's kind of how creative money making tends to work.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Can't hate on the guy following the money. And I won't lie, I do find the lore pretty fascinating, so I got no problem with it.

I don't think the gameplay warrants me playing them but he puts a surprising amount of work into a somewhat interesting backstory there are some really creepy imagery and ideas in those games.

I won't play it but I am sure I will read about whatever weird addition he makes to the story.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People like to buy garbage because it's "scary." That will never change.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The- there was a third one...?

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all need something to keep us from thinking that we're all gonna die one day, right? Whether it be by excelling at a career, drinking 'til we're blind, or shouting at fake animatronic puppets on a computer screen.

I submit that Five Nights at Freddy's is as necessary as rum, McDonald's, and Fast & Furious sequels.

So... yes.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The_Ruiner

I say the same thing about Assassin's Creed every year.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doskias: Whoa. That's a pretty poignant answer. I'm gonna go think about some stuff....Maybe do some rock skippin'.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j_unit2008: That actually sounds fun. I haven't skipped rocks in a long time. Let's all go skip rocks instead of buy Five Night's at Freddy's.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Necessary? Well, for me, yes. I really enjoy watching Markiplier play through them and didn't want it to stop on the third one. I look forward to it! :)

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doskias: Deal. I'm really bad at it so someone's going to have to teach me.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Necessary? Well, for me, yes. I really enjoy watching Markiplier play through them and didn't want it to stop on the third one. I look forward to it! :)

I think that's a really interesting perspective. I think a lot of people forget that some of these youtube personalities are legitimately fun and entertaining to watch, and games like this provide them with more material to entertain you with.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mmmslash said:

I think a lot of folks here are missing the actually interesting part of these games - the hidden narrative.

Though, I sort of felt like the third game's stuff got a little silly and pretty much wrapped the entire mystery up, so I'm reticent on a whole other level than most of the folks in here seem to be.

What is the appeal of the hidden narrative? I know it's fun for people to speculate about it because the series has been so stingy with filling in all of the details, but "fun to speculate about" =/= "the story, in its totality, is actually any good." Every summary I've read of the FNaF storyline makes it seem pretty meh. Oh noes, ghost kids! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Most popular creepypastas seem like they have more thought put into them than the FNaF narrative.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hold a patent on a game called Five Nights at Macho Man's (grammar police go nuts).

It's a dating simulator where you are the Macho Man and you have five days to seal the deal and propose to Ms. Elizabeth. If you fail, she marries Hulkster, and there is a hidden secret ending where she gets married to Earthquake or Typhoon. And another ending where Mach gets drafted and it basically just plays the first Call of Duty with Macho Man voice overs.

I don't know how to code, or know anything about making games, but the game should sell billions of copies. So if any coders want to get in on a potentially multi-trillion dollar deal, just let me know.

@sparky_buzzsaw The Five Nights at Freddy's games have caused me to buy stock in Fruit of the Looms.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, so then they can think of a cool pun for the fifth one.

Valhallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Valhallen

@kasaioni: I hope it's just "5 Nights At Freddy's" but with a huuuge fuckin' 5.

The first one was a cool concept and I loved how much tension it bred while being super super simple. Now it's just getting silly.

Side note: did anyone notice in the first FNAF that Freddy's Toreader song that plays after the your power goes out sounds like it was ripped from Bioshock Infinite?

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers