Ever played Freedom Fighters?

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

God damn this game was awesome. This game had such a powerful setting - a russian-occupied New York city. I remember how the time would progress through the game, seeing your character's hair grow and his outfit getting messier and trashier. You'd use fast travel through sewers to get back to your main HQ, where your fellow renegades and freedom fighters would hang. Oh man. I miss this game so dearly. To this day, I didn't know it was made by IO interactive, the guys behind Hitman. And now it seems so obvious, since the two games shared the same engine/looks. Anyways, this game was pretty much a sleeper hit, no one played it around me but my friends, whom I forced to play and then fell in love it it.

Anyone of you guys played this, circa 2003? I really wish you could legally download this game nowadays, like on steam or something. Was such a great experience. I could dream of a sequel, but how would it fit by today's standards? What kind of game could it be?

Also, it had one hell of a soundtrack, courtesy of Jesper Kyd : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCpvHnGvNE

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I moved this to the Freedom Fighters forum where there are a bunch of different threads from people talking about how much they like the game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Yes, yes I have! I got to it a little late, roughly at about 2010 I think on PS2, but it still held up really well and was a lot of fun. Much longer than I expected as well; lot of moments I assumed would be the end, only for it to open up another sect of missions. The soundtrack was indeed pretty fucking ace at that, and Vinny & Drew's LOLS with Freedom Fighters was some good viewin'.

heathhuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hell ya, the second best set of plumbers in gaming

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I never finished it, i think some of the later levels where frustrating but overall I had a really great time with it.

Kovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kovie

Kane and Lynch was the secret sequel to Freedom Fighters (no really, the mechanics are very derivative), but unfortunately did pretty much everything that it could wrong.

Still, Freedom Fighters is a really awesome game with only a few notable issues - In other words, it holds up remarkably well, and its super fun to play. The ridiculous GB video feature that involved playing it on its highest difficulty and starting right near the end of the game was a lot of fun, as well.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked this game when it came out. I remember there being some frustrating parts but overall a great time. I thought it was cool in a hitman kind of way in that you could approach missions in multiple ways.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klei: Did you know they did a Load Our Last Save for this game? I'm pretty sure they played it on the highest difficulty too. It's a few episodes long of the back end of the game. It's really interesting stuff to look back on.

The game was great. I actually still own a PC copy, but it's one of those games that runs kind of weird on newer machines. I think I have to emulate older hardware for it as a work around, can't remember though. Frankly, I'd rather just play a console version of it than deal with that stuff.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i still have my xbox version of the game so good

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Yes! Loved the atmosphere and the innovative gameplay mechanics (for its time). I didn't finish the whole game but was hooked as I watched my sister end her playthrough. Great game!

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I still think it's weird that they positioned Kane and Lynch as the spiritual successor.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Ended up ranking this as my 10th favorite game ever, so yeah I like this game a lot.

IO is underrated, between this game and Hitman Blood Money they made two of my top 10 favorite games.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bought Homefront simply because it reminded me a lot of Freedom Fighters. Boy was I almost completely wrong.

I mostly just miss the squad commands.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a game that among a few others, got me past a pure shooter, first or third person. It had for me unusual but comprehendible mechanics. Plus I liked the graphics for the time, and the art. And I liked the story.

Nothing against Russians, could have been anybody in an alternate universe, you know. Well, it could have been at least others. Crysis been lining up the North Koreans for a while, and China is pissed right now. I liked one thing where you could act in a way to recruit some enemy, if another prerequisite was met.

Good game, and loved Vinny and Drew's F.F. show!

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think it's weird that they positioned Kane and Lynch as the spiritual successor.

It's more than weird. It's almost a crime. Freedom Fighters should be its own licence and has absolutely nothing to do with K&L. It's like saying God of War being the spiritual successor of Splinter Cell.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Nux

I never finished it and I'm not really sure why I stopped playing it in the first place but I really liked what I played. I always wanted to go back to it and finally finish it but I never did.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NTM

Yep, I love the game. Absolutely fantastic. It probably has my favorite take on New York. I mean, I've never personally been to New York, but just the feel of it was really superb. The music by Jesper Kyd is some of my favorite game music, and I still listen to it today. The friendly and enemy A.I. are impressive, and the over the shoulder, tactical gameplay was smart and fun. While I don't like "America's the best!" crap, nor do I like war, I felt the game got down perfectly a patriotic feel to it where someone invades the country, and then the American's rising up and fighting back, to an extent it sent shivers down my spine I believe.

It's one of the games that I personally feel needs a sequel, and by now, perhaps even an updated version of it. I tried playing it on my PC a few months ago actually, and while it 'runs', it either goes in fast motion, or slow motion, but not in frame rate, it's just awkward. So yeah, I love the game. If it's not one of my favorite games ever, it's certainly one of my favorite games of two generations ago. It's also backwards compatible. The problem is that, aside from glitches that are brought up due to the compatibility, the controls aren't ideal as compared to later games that brought aiming over the shoulder to L, instead it's hold R3 (or was it L3?)

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mina_mina752

played it when i was 10 or 11, gta vc was dominating video games at that time so i never finished it...just the level where u get attacked by a chopper

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19 chaser324  Moderator

Games like Freedom Fighters and Metal Arms were some of the last great "b-tier" games. A bit of a shame that the market has largely squeezed out games like this.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Yep, Freedom Fighters was a great game; and its short enough to just randomly play through in a single sitting at whim if you so desire. The current Eidos team made the game so direct all sequel complaints to Kane and Lynch/Square Enix

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I've played it way back when. On PC. That's all that I can say, because it's all that I remember. Nothing to write home about then, I guess? Maybe I should give it another playthrough, you say?

Who am I kidding? No time for such indulgences. There's enough great games I've yet to play, so I'll stick to those.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Man, I fucking love Freedom Fighters.

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By superpow

I even found the multiplayer to be quite entertaining. A few buddies and I would spend entire afternoons just playing it.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just reinstalled it and beat the game within a couple hours. This game has amazing music.

I wish they would remake the game and come out with a true sequel. New York is such an overused setting in media, but I liked how it was portrayed in this game.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I LOVE this game. I remember back in the day I only had cash for one game. I had it down to either Freedom Fighters or Mafia. I know I made the right decision.

SARRISS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm the only one who played and enjoyed the multiplayer. Hell of a thing. There were some truly dick things you could do if you were good at managing your dudes.

The single player was fantastic. Not much more I can say that the rest of you have or will probslly say there.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#27  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@hatking said:

@klei: Did you know they did a Load Our Last Save for this game? I'm pretty sure they played it on the highest difficulty too. It's a few episodes long of the back end of the game. It's really interesting stuff to look back on.

The game was great. I actually still own a PC copy, but it's one of those games that runs kind of weird on newer machines. I think I have to emulate older hardware for it as a work around, can't remember though. Frankly, I'd rather just play a console version of it than deal with that stuff.

They are premium videos, and as far as I can see @klei is not a premium user. But that was a great video series, so it, and the load our last souls and other premium videos are totally worth a premium subscription.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Let's moo! Stand your ground! Retreat!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: Oh, didn't realize they're premium only. Yes, definitely worth signing up for, among all the other Load Our Last videos. This topic actually got me to rewatch that series.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep and had a blast too. We fought for the land of the free goddammit!

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved that game. I'm STILL pissed that Freedom Fighters 2 didn't come out. I really hope that this series gets necro'd sometime soon. It was awesome then, and it would be awesome now with modern mechanics and tech.

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GTCknight

Yes I have played Freedom Fighters. Its still one of favorite PS2 games. I enjoyed how open the game was in that the player always had multiple ways to finish a chapter.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the playthrough was one of the best. fucking hilarious how they didnt realize the cable wasnt plugged in right

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost every time I go into my parents basement, there is an empty copy of Freedom Fighters sitting on a box gathering dust... and then I cry.

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played and completed back when it came out. Awesome game! Bummed that IO have seemingly abandoned that franchise in favor of making Hitman ad nauseam.