Dark Souls 3 Rumor

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So various sites are reporting that Dark Souls 3 will be revealed at E3 with Miyazaki heading up the project again. There has been no official announcement so this could all be just a rumor. VG247 has reported this claiming that a "source familiar with the matter" has told them.

So what do you think? Is there anything to this rumor? Too good to be true or is it something anyone is even asking for?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Seems likely, we haven't really been super far between Souls anticipation periods and the games coming out for a while now. Will it have 65 bosses? 15 bosses? 35 bosses? Who can say. I'm curious if they'll make the game a little faster in lieu of Bloodborne or just tow the line, might be a little difficult to go back to considering I still have another 13 or so playthroughs of Bloodborne to go.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After Bloodborne being a real big let down for me even though I liked it alot, I hope they make a game with the best of both worlds

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be very cool if they did something more with fantasy, swords and shields, but I don't necessarily need it next year. Don't need it to be named "Dark Souls", honestly. Really don't want another "cycle" in the Dark/kindling the first flame thing.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I really hope it continues the Dark Souls lineage because I actively disliked Bloodborne. The rumors about Miyazaki directing again have me a little scared; Dark Souls 2 has more than its fair share of problems, but I'm still infinitely more interested in Dark Souls 3 by the B-team than Dark Souls 3: Bloodborne 2. Time will tell I suppose.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Too early for another Souls game IMO.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If anything is announced, it wont be released until March of 2017. They wont release a new game next March. They haven't had enough time to work on a game for that.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjor64 said:

Too early for another Souls game IMO.

^this

We just got the re-release of Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne this year.

grtkbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By grtkbrandon

An announcement doesn't mean it'll be hitting this fall or even next.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's too early. Dark Souls 2 only came out last year, it's re-release a few months ago and Bloodborne was only out a few weeks after that.

I'd hope to hear about it a year or two down the line, so they can properly address peoples issues with Bloodborne and DS2.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'd kinda like a break at this point. I'm pretty burned out on the souls formula at the moment. Though whenever they end up releasing another game I will be there.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@eternalvigil: It is literally impossible to please the Souls fanbase in its entirety so I'm sure they're not crazy enough to attempt that; chances are they'll just make another critically revered game that sells well and be happy.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Saturation is starting to set in a little, especially with more BB content on the way and that'll possibly release this year, but then by the time the next full Souls/Souls-esque game from From arrives I'll likely be prepped and ready for another round of repeatedly dying.

So the world might be mended.

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From taking a lesson from EA with annuals? I'd go for another souls. DS2 made you fight to many enemies and bloodborne was too fast for me, the first one i liked a whole lot!

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah like most people are saying I don't think this'll hit till 2017.

I think the general trend now is to announce games pretty far from release (looking at you, Cyberpunk 2077). As someone who gets caught up in the hype factor of a lot of this stuff it's...irksome to say the least. But it is what is I guess; times have changed etc.

Praise the buns.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game will be announced for Fall 2016 then get delayed to March 2017, obviously.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, I really do want a Dark Souls 3. If they can combine the level and boss design from DS1 with all the combat and mechanical improvements of 2 I think it could be a really great game.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By planetfunksquad

All the people saying it's too early for another Souls game are correct. However From are the company that put out 15 Armored Core games in an 18 year span. They will beat this fucking series into the ground and they'll do it because you'll keep buying them.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too soon. Way too soon. Even if it's not out for two years or something why bother announcing it now?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By RonGalaxy

Souls being annualized/bi-annualized is a completely different thing when compared to the Activision/Ubisoft/EA model. Call of Duty, for example, is not the only fps on the market, while the Souls series is still a very unique thing. Besides Lords of the Fallen, which was an unsuccessful attempt at recreating the Souls formula, no one else has taken a serious crack at recreating this style of game, and it's such a weird/esoteric thing that I doubt any big developer would be capable of capturing the same magic, let alone even be interested in doing so.

So, I'd be fine with them taking this approach. Could they step on their own toes at some point? Sure, but I think they've shown with bloodborne that they are capable/interested in shaking the Souls formula up, keeping things interesting.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TwoLines

Hmm. Too soon. Scholar just came out, as did Bloodborne, we've had two Souls-like games come out side by side, and that was, like, a month ago? Two months? Either way, too soon man. Don't want your audience to burn-out. I mean, there's milking it, like with the Scholar re-release, and then there's overkill.

I really hope they'll wait another year.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's pretty crazy how Souls games are pumped out at such a rapid rate.

I still need to pick up Scholars of the First Sin.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Eh, I'm cool with them announcing it for 2016 or beyond. Everyone will be wanting their Souls fix by then, having completed Bloodborne and/or SotFS. I know some people preferred Dark/Demon's Souls to DS2 and/or Bloodborne, but they all seem like quality games so far in their own right, so I'm on board with more games until that changes. They're not Assassin's Creed-ing this series just yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Like a lot of people are saying already, I'd prefer some breathing room between Souls games. However, if it isn't coming for a few years anyhow, I guess an announcement couldn't hurt. Honestly though, I think From deserves some time out of the spotlight, just to build hype and let the heart grow fonder. I consider myself a huge fan of these games and even I'm starting to feel a tad burnt out.

Fears aside, I'd be pumped to return to the world of Dark Souls, especially if Miyazaki is back.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I read something about Miyazaki not liking to do direct sequels, so I personally don't think he would be up for it if there was a Dark Souls 3. And I think it would be weird to go back to that series after bloodborne. "Guys I know we said using a shield was for losers in the past but it's back now and it's cool again!" This just doesn't make sense to me.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EternalVigil

@eternalvigil: It is literally impossible to please the Souls fanbase in its entirety so I'm sure they're not crazy enough to attempt that; chances are they'll just make another critically revered game that sells well and be happy.

True, but both games suffered with unreliable PvP connections, with DS2 having terrible lag in some fights, and matchmaking (UK to Australia is never going to be a good connection game, stop pairing me up .with them) and Bloodborne launching with really shoddy matchmaking that made invasions very difficult

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@original_hank: It's the Grover Cleveland/Vladimir Putin strategy of non sequential running.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@original_hank said:

I thought I read something about Miyazaki not liking to do direct sequels, so I personally don't think he would be up for it if there was a Dark Souls 3. And I think it would be weird to go back to that series after bloodborne. "Guys I know we said using a shield was for losers in the past but it's back now and it's cool again!" This just doesn't make sense to me.

I think so many people would appreciate the return of shields and build variety that it wouldn't matter much if the change even made sense from a game design perspective. People want Dark Souls ass Dark Souls, they're gonna get it. I agree though, I would rather see Bloodborne's gameplay elaborated on instead of cast aside as a one time experiment.

DFL017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DFL017

Better be on pc. It is the only game I would actually buy a console for.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

OMG too soon - because clearly this announcement means it will be coming out this year also.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Miyazaki is directing i'm stoked. He failed with Bloodborne IMO, but I think several factors with one of them being Sony rushing the game out the door ended up being it's downfall.

If this is typical DS style then we should have the amazing weapon/item/magic variety of DS1, but with Miyazaki soooo yessss PLEASE.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't forget we also had Lords of the Fallen. I'd much rather a clone arrived than another Dark Souls installment. At least spiritual successors come with the qualifier of trying something different. Bloodborne went for it but it lacked some beef. A spiritual successor to Bloodborne might nail it.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I hope it's not a ton of grimdark stuff.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By geirr

I would love for there to be a new Dark Souls game, tomorrow, next year, and the next. Forevermore. Hopefully the next one takes place under the ocean where you have an amazing air-bubble-out-of-fissures-and-cracks mechanic - and you have some funny slow-but-high-floaty jumpy mechanics as well.

No really, I don't care, I just want more Souls games in my life. Most of all right now I might just want a HD Remaster of Demon's Souls for PS4.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too soon? You realize that announcing a game is not the same as releasing a game, right? It could easily take two years for this to come out. Even one year would be fine by me since I already platinumed Bloodborne and Scholar of the First Sin.

As for what I'd like out of a new Dark Souls, I'd love to see the magic system overhauled. Dual-wielding catalysts, spell combining, spell leveling, and spell movesets similar to the way weapon movesets work. I like the idea of firing off a quick, miniature Soul Arrow following a roll instead of just snapping into a rigid animation that's identical to every other way you cast the spell.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Giant_Gamer

Last year we had Dark Souls 2, and this year we have Bloodborne, and next year we will have Dark Souls 3.

Beside what looks like a grammar example, am i seeing a pattern here?!

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A little early tbh, but whatever, I'll still play it. I'm kinda hoping Miyazaki isn't directing it, I'm not a huge fan of his games, but I loved DS II.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By nickhead

I'd be happy if the series actually stopped after 2, but we'll see I guess. I love the series but also don't want it to be beat to death.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I still need to play the first one....

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want an original, unique IP, but I know they're gonna make Dark Souls III. That's how publishers are. I don't believe that Miyazaki will direct, though.

HeliumSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fingers crossed.

DoubleSpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I somehow feel like this announcement is appropriate. Demon's Souls was a PS3 exclusive that has gone on to be revered by a small community. Than Dark Souls 1 &2 came out and it exposed the genre to a wider audience. For whatever reason, I feel like the reverse is going to happen moving forward. Bloodborne will have been a PS4 exclusive and loved by everyone, while Dark Souls 3 & 4 will be praised by the hardcore.

Without a doubt, I agree with a lot of you that it is too son. Considering I don't own a PS4 and will probably come to Bloodborne as late as I did with Demon's Souls, I am excited to see sword and shield combat evolved.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan_citi said:

Man, I hope it's not a ton of grimdark stuff.

Is this a joke? "dark" is right in the title.

killer2m8o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope they get it right this time. Each game has been really really good, but none of them have been the masterpiece that should have been delivered by now after four iterations. They just keep mashing it up, throwing shizeet at the wall to see what sticks. For every good idea they add, they break something.

Do it right already. Quit teasing your fan base. I'm losing faith that From can produce anything better than a 9.

If this is legit, it's the last time I get my hopes up. I'll always play their almost-masterpiece games, but I won't get my hopes up anymore that they can actually deliver on the potential these games have.

------------------

Demon's Souls - Amazing for being the first entry

Dark Souls - P2P matchmaking, why play when you can wait

Dark Souls 2 - Soul Memory, scarce invasion items, ng/ng+ and covenant segregation, clunkier controls; saved by the Agape Ring but too late

Bloodborne - No Arena at all yet, oversimplified combat so skilled play is just missing, Chalice Dungeons so grindy

Dark Souls 3 - ???