#1 Posted by Haruko (284 posts) -

From the art style revamp to the relative media blackout since the Big live live show the news on this game doesn't look great. Insomniac has made great games in the past and I really want this to be good, but nothing about what they've shown has given me confidence. Insomniacs skill at making over the top weapons and fun gameplay is tried and true it just seems that well, this game is getting EA'd something awful and I really hope it turns out ok.

#2 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4139 posts) -

Its not even out yet. So this is just it throwing fire at EA when all they did is publish it.

Its like: If it's good, then cool. But then if it's not, Well fucking EA. I hope a Fuse 2 comes out on Next-Gen.

#3 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@haruko said:

this game is getting EA'd something awful

this should become a standard expression because it's so damn true

#4 Edited by Ghostiet (5209 posts) -

I really wish this is gonna be good, but so far nothing seems appealing.

#5 Posted by Hunter5024 (5514 posts) -

As I understand it, the EA partners program is designed to allow developers to release their games without much involvement from EA. If this game comes out bad it's Insomniac's fault not theirs. Personally I hope this game is good, but even if it is I can't imagine myself being interested in a brand new, current gen, cover based 3rd person shooter no matter how amazing it is. Honestly I don't know what to expect, it really seems kind of like they're just going down the check list with this one. Between that and the name/tone/graphics change I have to wonder how much vision there is behind this game.

#6 Posted by ZagZagovich (753 posts) -

@hunter5024:

Actually they said during the reveal that the style change was "suggested" by the publisher for wider appeal so involvement was not so little. This game is looking to be depression city.

#7 Edited by Fearbeard (823 posts) -

I'll be superbummed if the game sucks, but I'll reserve judgement till it's been released at least.

The art style thing doesn't bug me much. It seems like it has a little less personality, but honestly we barely saw much of the old style so it's hard to get too attached to it. I mean it's not like they released a game then completely changed the style for the sequel or anything.

If EA somehow managed to get Insomniac to include microtransactions then I will be superbummed even if the game is good.

#8 Edited by Humanity (8730 posts) -

At one point I think it's up to the developer to say "listen this is the game we want to make we simply can't make these changes, no"

I get that you have a family to feed and bills to pay but it's crazy how a lot of these developers are getting themselves into situations where they apparently have zero creative control over their own product.

#9 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

Dude, totally, I'm superbummed about this game that hasn't come out and I know very little about.

#10 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4906 posts) -

Oh damnit! Every time I see Fuse, I think about Ruse.

A knowledgeable gentleman already said what I think about this game:

Dude, totally, I'm superbummed about this game that hasn't come out and I know very little about.

#11 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

The change in art design/tone really bummed me out. We already have plenty of grey worlds as it is. Overstrike is also a hell of a lot cooler name than Fuse. Still hoping that the game turns out well.

#12 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10384 posts) -

EA Partners was responsible for Shadows of the Damned, and if that got through like it was, I doubt EA is messing this up.

It's Insomniac messing it up themselves. Assuming it is messed up, which we don't really know because the game isn't out yet.

#13 Posted by MEATBALL (3020 posts) -

EA Partners was responsible for Shadows of the Damned, and if that got through like it was, I doubt EA is messing this up.

It's Insomniac messing it up themselves. Assuming it is messed up, which we don't really know because the game isn't out yet.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that Insomniac have worked with EA to make these changes in the hopes that EA would give it better marketing support, though. EA kind of crapped out Shadows of the Damned to die.

The game looks fine to me? It sucks that it hasn't kept the same tone from when it was Overstrike, but I think it still looks interesting. I'm reserving judgement, and I'm not "super bummed with this game". I'm bummed by the change in direction, but not enough to hold it against the game.

#14 Posted by Brodehouse (9524 posts) -

I'm totally surprised people were so behind the original design as being such a breath of fresh air. I feel like I've been constantly bombarded by first person shooters with larger-than-life characterization and primary colors. All it was missing was the hats.

#15 Edited by Soap (3561 posts) -

I'm totally surprised people were so behind the original design as being such a breath of fresh air. I feel like I've been constantly bombarded by first person shooters with larger-than-life characterization and primary colors. All it was missing was the hats.

Compared to the amount of FPS games with grungy browns and brooding stubbly muscle bound men, that is still a pretty low percentage.

#16 Edited by GunstarRed (4997 posts) -

The art change really sucks, but the game they show in the videos looks like a lot of fun, especially their take on Horde mode that seems like a far more explodey take on the Mass Effect MP. I trust Insomniac with the gameplay and fully expect it to be an alright to good game.

It is most definitely going to sell like shit.

#17 Posted by blueinferno (440 posts) -

I was really intrigued by the original art style when this game was first announced, the change in style is a huge bummer.

#18 Edited by JacDG (2113 posts) -

I'm playing through all the Ratchet and Clanks games at the moment, since nothing else remotely interesting is coming out these days, and I can't see Insomniac make a bad game, the Resistance series was not amazing but I was entertained, I look for this to be somewhat like that.

#19 Edited by MachoFantastico (4480 posts) -

I forgot it was being developed by Insomniac Games, looks nothing like one of their games. I actually really liked the style of the original design, the one they had when they revealed the game.

#20 Posted by Gruebacca (487 posts) -

I'm just super bummed that we've heard very little about this game, and now it's close to release. If it's anything like Shadows of the Damned, this game isn't going to sell like pancakes regardless of quality. And that's a shame for a developer who has made top-tier games for Sony for more than 15 years.

#21 Posted by Haruko (284 posts) -
#22 Posted by MiniPato (2714 posts) -

Was never really interested in it even back when it was Overstrike. Doesn't help that I didn't really like the Resistance games either.

#23 Edited by ahgunsillyo (443 posts) -

@hunter5024 said:

As I understand it, the EA partners program is designed to allow developers to release their games without much involvement from EA. If this game comes out bad it's Insomniac's fault not theirs. Personally I hope this game is good, but even if it is I can't imagine myself being interested in a brand new, current gen, cover based 3rd person shooter no matter how amazing it is. Honestly I don't know what to expect, it really seems kind of like they're just going down the check list with this one. Between that and the name/tone/graphics change I have to wonder how much vision there is behind this game.

It's rather interesting to have a discussion about the EA Partners program, because word on the street a few days ago is that EA might be terminating the Partners program. However, this development likely has little to do with Fuse in particular; it's probably just another step in the restructuring of the post-Riccitello EA.

@haruko: Regarding the question posed in the thread, I was/am/will continue to be at least a bit disappointed in the change of art style that occurred when Overstrike was rebranded as Fuse. I've always thought that, based on the studio's previous work, Insomniac tends to shine a lot brighter when they lean toward a more cartoony and expressive style. I'm a fan of the Ratchet & Clank Future games that came out on the PS3 and thought that the cutscenes and animation in those games were some of the best (or at least, most well-produced) that I've seen this generation. By contrast, the Resistance games never seemed to appeal that much to me, so even if they were good, which I heard the first and third were, the art style and world just seemed a bit bland and generic compared to both the Ratchet & Clank games and the other games that were already on the market.

When Overstrike was announced, it seemed, at least to me, that it had a lot of potential to have that great amount of charm and personality that the Ratchet & Clank games had, except with relatively more grounded human characters as opposed to cartoon alien animals and robots. When it was rebranded as Fuse and the entire look of the game changed, I felt it lost a lot of the personality and style that the original Overstrike trailer seemed to have. Gone were the unique outfits of the characters, replaced by similar steely gray armored uniforms.

Now, I can't say at this point whether Fuse will retain that charm and humor or will be yet another gray shooter in a land where there are already so many gray shooters. I can only really go from what I've seen, and unfortunately, the trailers they've released for Fuse have done very little to convince me that that personality is still in the game. Most of the trailers seem to focus little on the characters and what makes them stand apart from your everyday third-person shooter protagonist; rather, Insomniac has seemed to spend a lot of time focusing on the characters' weapons and the different creative ways you can kill enemies with them. And to that, I say in a regrettably somewhat snarky tone, "No duh, Insomniac." I mean, it's an Insomniac game. Of course it will have crazy and interesting weapons. That's what Insomniac does, and they do it very well. Crazy weapons are a given. But the Ratchet & Clank games have proven time and time again that Insomniac can have both a crazy weapon gameplay experience and an incredibly charming world and cast of characters, and considering that they initially had and showed the game as having the latter and later reconfigured the game in a way that seemed to remove a lot of it, it's hard for me, who really likes when games exude style and personality, to not be disappointed.

That said, I still really hope that Fuse is a good game and that it will surprise me with how much personality it has, but as it stands, I am a lot less interested in it than I was in Overstrike. But at the very least, it'll have a bunch of really cool weapons.

#24 Posted by bwinfrey (3 posts) -

Demo is coming out next week, so y'all can try it for yourselves. You can play 4-player co-op online, so try it with your friends Give it a shot and let me know how you like it!

#25 Posted by Yodasdarkside (276 posts) -

Just played through the demo and NOW I'm bummed, because I was hyped for it before. Where to start? From the beginning, it took me a few minutes longer than it should to figure out what my guy could climb on and what he couldn't. Objectives are really unclear, and enemies blend into the background way too easily, putting me in the unenviable position of standing up to get shot to see where they were. Ammo was very sparse and the FUSE weapon seemed no more powerful than the regular ones (it seems like secondary fire is disabled in the demo?) The camera swings wildly from left to right and the boss fight at the end was a clusterfuck of rolling around, healing my team mates, looking for the enemy and hopefully hitting them. It was so frantic that strategy seemed impossible. I was playing with AI, but I thought that playing with people would make the whole experience more stressful, not less, such was the wildly swinging nature of the camera and speed of the firefights.

#26 Edited by Haruko (284 posts) -

Having played the demo... still bummed half my problems stem from the art style still. Enemies are hard to see and dont stand out. And for a game about wackyass weapons (damn I love the Ratchet and Clank guns) these just seem limp in comparison (Note it may just be what you get in the demo but if thats the issue why not put the batshit crazy weapons in the demo?). The other half are nitpicks the controls are fine but as @yodasdarkside said the camera movement is at best wonky. And I know the game is meant to be played 4 player but playing single player basically became dealing with making my teammates just not die which is not what I want to be doing in any game let alone a frenetic shooter.

#27 Posted by Eddie_and_the_Fist_Monkeys (79 posts) -

Francis Bacon said, 'There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.' It was true then and it's true now.