• 50 results
#1 Edited by RazielCuts (2955 posts) -

Who woulda thunk out of all the gaming companies Nintendo would be the one to satirise Kickstarter but here it is -

http://crowdfarter.com

with Wario at the helm.

Some choice quotes -

• 'Yeah yeah, two screens we get it'
  • 'Why should I fund everything when other people will do it for me?'
  • 'Give me your money so I can make my dreams come true' - How many times have you heard 'dreams come true' on Kickstarter.
#2 Posted by audioBusting (1550 posts) -

Is Wareio A Libretarian?

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

It looks less like a troll and more like a playful mock. It's not criticizing the concept of crowdfunding; it's simply using that as another venue for Wario's greed.

#4 Posted by StarFoxA (5158 posts) -

Are we using the word troll for everything now? Why not just call this a parody?

#5 Posted by zels (207 posts) -

This is embarssingly bad.

#6 Posted by Rafaelfc (1348 posts) -

Oh Wario, u so nasty!

#7 Posted by Superfriend (1556 posts) -

@starfoxa said:

Are we using the word troll for everything now? Why not just call this a parody?

Yes we are. Also, everything is epic now. We as a people are all high on mushrooms or something.

#8 Edited by EXTomar (4742 posts) -

They need to step carefully here. Making fun of KickStarter isn't a problem but drawing attention to the differences between Game & Wario and the real KickStarter might remind people of how much better KS and how many great games will be created there that have no chance of appearing on any Nintendo platform.

#9 Edited by ShaggE (6457 posts) -

@starfoxa said:

Yes we are. Also, everything is epic now. We as a people are all high on mushrooms or something.

Hey. Hey, guys. Bacon. Get it? Haaaaaaa!

#10 Posted by Abendlaender (2807 posts) -

That's actually pretty fantastic

#11 Edited by MEATBALL (3244 posts) -
@extomar said:

They need to step carefully here. Making fun of KickStarter isn't a problem but drawing attention to the differences between Game & Wario and the real KickStarter might remind people of how much better KS and how many great games will be created there that have no chance of appearing on any Nintendo platform.

I don't think this is anything to worry about at all.

#12 Edited by RazielCuts (2955 posts) -

@starfoxa said:

That's why I put troll in quotations as that would be the internet fanboy response 'lul Nintendo troll Kickstarter, Ninty FTW,' never mind eh..

It looks less like a troll and more like a playful mock. It's not criticizing the concept of crowdfunding; it's simply using that as another venue for Wario's greed.

I think they're mocking/criticising (albeit jokingly) the people who use Kickstarter, especially with the 'make my dreams come true' line. You could also argue the 'Why should I fund everything when other people will do it for me?' line is taking a dig a high celebrities or personalities using Kickstarter as a marketing tool rather than a fund raising one when they don't need the money. Imagine if Nintendo actually started a Kickstarter how insane that would be, that's the joke.

#13 Posted by zels (207 posts) -

@superfriend said:

@starfoxa said:

That's why I put troll in quotations as that would be the internet fanboy response 'lul Nintendo troll Kickstarter, Ninty FTW,' never mind eh..

@video_game_king said:

I think they're mocking/criticising (albeit jokingly) the people who use Kickstarter, especially with the 'make my dreams come true' line. You could also argue the 'Why should I fund everything when other people will do it for me?' line is taking a dig a high celebrities or personalities using Kickstarter as a marketing tool rather than a fund raising one when they don't need the money. Imagine if Nintendo actually started a Kickstarter how insane that would be, that's the joke.

They could start a kickstarter to get some 3rd party games ported over to the wiiu.

#14 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

pretty funny for a soon to be extinct company.

#15 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

@donpixel said:

pretty funny for a soon to be extinct company.

Love hotels will keep them afloat! Everyone needs a place to fuck the prostitute they just hired

#16 Posted by TruthTellah (9122 posts) -

@shagge said:

@superfriend said:

@starfoxa said:

haha. Epic troll, bro!

#17 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1247 posts) -

That was fucking hilarious! Wario is the man

#18 Posted by smcn (926 posts) -

no way its totelly a trolololololol 420 blaze it forgots

#19 Edited by cmblasko (1239 posts) -

That's pretty clever. Kudos to whoever came up with that.

#20 Edited by RazielCuts (2955 posts) -

@zels: I was just thinking after I wrote 'Nintendo Kickstarter' what situation would I be comfortable with if Nintendo did a KS and I think the Project Rainfall initiative would've been an okay use. Games that weren't originally going to come to the West, if you want them show your support and put your money where your mouth is so we can guarantee we're not taking a gamble releasing to a loud internet minority. It's better than a simple petition because as well as a signature you're putting the power of money behind it. 'Voting with your dollar' as a wise Jeff Gerstmann once said, which I guess is what every Kickstarter should be.

#21 Posted by Humanity (9277 posts) -

@shagge said:

@superfriend said:

@starfoxa said:

Jukebox trolling.

#22 Posted by Sackmanjones (4706 posts) -

Wow, would have never seen this coming from them but hey I give em credit for being unpredictable!

#23 Edited by Eidderf (506 posts) -

I'm not used to hearing Wario, or any Mario character really, talk for such an extended period of time, it weird to hear them be so talkative.

Nintendo seem to advertise their games quite well a lot of the time and this is a clever little idea, though I didn't really get much of sense of what the game was actually about from the video (I heard it's a bit different from regular Wario Ware games)

#24 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -
#25 Edited by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

IMA GON-NA DESIGN THE BEST GAME EVER!

#26 Posted by MocBucket62 (1231 posts) -

I like this joke of Nintendo's. If anyone here bought Wario World for the Gamecube, the manuel for that game uses very similar humor to this fake kickstarter joke. Wario is constantly poking fun at the game's tutorials, mocking the enemies' designs in the game and is praising himself in nearly every page. Hoenstly this crowdfarter page brings me back to that.

#27 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

I dunno, they did put the first stretch goal as "25 bajillion coins: A cool wallpaper image".

This is a little bit out of character for Nintendo to publicly SLAM CROWDFUNDING, but it is also so dumb a goofy that it does come off as pretty funny and harmless. I think to go so dumb and make every joke a Wario fart joke actually makes it way funnier than it could've been.

Makes you think though.

#28 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4212 posts) -

Well, at least its not Reggie pitching it. Although it will be..

#29 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4816 posts) -

@i_smell said:

@video_game_king said:

I dunno, they did put the first stretch goal as "25 bajillion coins: A cool wallpaper image".

This is a little bit out of character for Nintendo to publicly SLAM CROWDFUNDING, but it is also so dumb a goofy that it does come off as pretty funny and harmless. I think to go so dumb and make every joke a Wario fart joke actually makes it way funnier than it could've been.

Makes you think though.

I imagine it's a two birds with one stone kind of thing. On the one hand Nintendo gets the chance to thumb their nose at all the bullshit Kickstarter shenanigans, and on the other they get to use their most rude and self-serving character to do it - Wario. This isn't out of character for that prick, and it allows Nintendo to just say "Eh it's how the character rolls" if anyone gets too uppity.

Kinda strange to be lashing out at Kickstarter, sure, but I'm glad it exists.

#30 Posted by jewunit (1061 posts) -

The site and video are good, silly fun. It's just Nintendo being goofy with their exceptionally goofy character. I could imagine Wario running amok on Kickstarter.

#31 Edited by big_jon (5730 posts) -

That made me smile.

#32 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

That's all fun and all but I was promised to see Nintendo trolling Kickstarter. So where is it?

#33 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4352 posts) -

Nice, but that isn't trolling.

#34 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Something weird about parodying crowdsourcing while begging for tweets, facebook likes and pre-orders.

#35 Posted by Hilbert (349 posts) -

The year of Wario!!

#36 Posted by MentalDisruption (1637 posts) -

Oh Wario, you so silly.

#37 Posted by bemusedchunk (692 posts) -

Awww snap!

Kickstarter just got scroogled!

#38 Posted by DeF (4893 posts) -

@extomar said:

You're taking this way way too seriously.

#39 Edited by BirthWild (259 posts) -

anyone else watch the video and feel weirded out with a mario character with fully voiced dialog?

That happened to me.

I dunno if that happened in some crazy game long ago, but I ain't use to that ~ish!

#40 Posted by posh (488 posts) -

i think it's pretty funny. i don't think it's mocking KS itself but rather the people who misuse it

#41 Posted by ManiacalMech (59 posts) -

Charles Martinet getting paid to make farting sounds. I'm on board.

#42 Posted by BaconGames (3423 posts) -

Wario continues to be the coolest.

#43 Edited by Brackynews (4083 posts) -

I give this four out of five strawberries.

@birthwild: Uhm... well, Peach has had a least a paragraph of script. But yeah there's a lot of voicework in Warioware. Maybe I've watched enough of the cartoons that it doesn't bother me.

#44 Posted by EveretteScott (1491 posts) -

@starfoxa said:

Hey Weird Al has amazing troll songs!

#45 Posted by Marokai (2981 posts) -

This is superb.

#47 Posted by Hailinel (24848 posts) -

It's just so, so...Wario.

#48 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

This is the first ad that has completely sold me on a video game.

#49 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@zels said:

This is embarssingly bad.

I think it's pretty funny. It's Wario, after all. He's a troll.

#50 Posted by Butano (1738 posts) -

@eidderf said:

I'm not used to hearing Wario, or any Mario character really, talk for such an extended period of time, it weird to hear them be so talkative.

Nintendo seem to advertise their games quite well a lot of the time and this is a clever little idea, though I didn't really get much of sense of what the game was actually about from the video (I heard it's a bit different from regular Wario Ware games)

Yea, hearing Wario talk for that long made reminded me that he sounds like a poor man's Flintheart Glomgold.