• 54 results
#1 Posted by Par1val (9 posts) -

Hey guys, first time poster here.

I bought a GameCube about a year ago but didn't buy any games other than REmake (resident evil) for it. Now that midterm month is almost over for me I plan buying some GameCube gems from the GameCube era. So any suggestions, I'm open to anything. Thanks and I hope to be a part of this forum :)

#2 Edited by Chaser324 (6394 posts) -

There's a bunch of stuff, but here's a few suggestions:

• Resident Evil 4 (although I suspect you've maybe already played it)
  • LoZ: Wind Waker (unless you plan on ever playing the HD version)
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
  • Skies of Arcadia Legends
  • Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
  • Super Mario Sunshine (it's not nearly as bad as some people have made it out to be)
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Wave Race: Blue Storm
#3 Posted by Voxus (332 posts) -

Metroid Prime 1-3

#4 Posted by SqueakyFoo (2 posts) -

@0blivion: MP3 was a Wii game, wasn't it?

I'd add Eternal Darkness to the above suggestions as well.

#5 Posted by Dalai (7016 posts) -

Eternal Darkness was one of my favorites on the GameCube. You should probably get that.

#6 Edited by jeffrud (382 posts) -
  • Killer 7 (could play it on the PS2, but the framerate was sorta crap)
  • Timesplitters 2 (same)
  • Twilight Princess (infinitely better than the Wii version, minus one or two spots where you'll miss the precision aiming of Skyward Sword)
  • F-Zero GX
  • Viewtiful Joe (both are good, but the first one is radtacular)
  • Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
  • Tales of Symphonia
  • Soul Caliber II
  • Ikaruga
  • SSX3
#7 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -
  • Pikmin
  • Pikmin 2
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Mario Kart Double Dash
  • F Zero GX
  • SSX Tricky (not a GameCube exclusive, but it's great)
#8 Posted by Hengst (47 posts) -

Killer 7 and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

#9 Posted by believer258 (11775 posts) -

• Super Mario Sunshine (it's not nearly as bad as some people have made it out to be)
  • Luigi's Mansion
@jeffrud said:
  • Timesplitters 2 (same)
  • Twilight Princess (infinitely better than the Wii version, minus one or two spots where you'll miss the precision aiming of Skyward Sword)
  • F-Zero GX
  • Tales of Symphonia
  • Soul Caliber II
  • Ikaruga
  • SSX3
  • Pikmin
  • Pikmin 2
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Mario Kart Double Dash
  • F Zero GX

None of these lists have Metroid Prime on them.

Shame.

OK, seriously, Metroid Prime is the game to get for the Gamecube as far as I'm concerned. All of the games these fellows have listed are pretty good, sure, but Metroid Prime is the must-play.

Also there was a backlash on Mario Sunshine for some reason. Ignore that. Sunshine is a very fun Mario game.

#10 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3131 posts) -

Resident Evil Zero, of course.

#11 Edited by Chaser324 (6394 posts) -

@believer258: I really liked Metroid Prime when it was initially released. However, I didn't care much for Metroid Prime 3, and I somehow managed to convince myself that Metroid Prime wasn't all that good to begin with...I'm admittedly probably wrong about that.

#12 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4187 posts) -

Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

#13 Posted by Nasar7 (2611 posts) -

If you're into fighting games, Bloody Roar: Primal Fury is a pretty good time.

#14 Edited by Yadilie (380 posts) -

@chaser324: Bought a Gamecube last year as well from Gamestop. One of their last ones grabbed it used for like 10 bucks on sale. Grabbed a 1 dollar caseless disc of Metroid Prime. Really don't feel MP works well in a 3D environment. Proceeded to buy Metroid Fusion to replay it and was having a blast compared to Prime.

Also Prime 3 waggle makes me sad.

Wound up buying Prime 2, 3 and Other M (Don't even own a Wii) anyway. Have this bad obession with buying all if not a majority of a game series. Was even looking into buying a cartridge of Metroid 2... thankfully I slapped myself out of that one.

#15 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4599 posts) -

- Twilight Princess

- Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (getting the necessary accesories for multiplayer might be a hassle, but potentially cheap at this point so worth looking into anyway. Fun game, great aesthetic).

- Pikmin 2

I really liked Need for Speed Underground 2 at the time, not sure whether older racing games are worth going back to though.

OK, seriously, Metroid Prime is the game to get for the Gamecube as far as I'm concerned. All of the games these fellows have listed are pretty good, sure, but Metroid Prime is the must-play.

Also there was a backlash on Mario Sunshine for some reason. Ignore that. Sunshine is a very fun Mario game.

Metroid Prime 2 remains the only Metroid game I have ever played, and it seemed ok, so add that too.

And I never actually played Sunshine, but I watched it being played, and I enjoyed that, so count me as a vote in favor too, I guess.

There are probably others, it's been a while though.

#16 Edited by Rihanna (85 posts) -

Star Fox Adventures

#17 Posted by Par1val (9 posts) -

Wow what a turnout. I totally forgot about the "Metroid Prime" games. Right now I'm looking at "Eternal Darkness" and "Metroid". I noticed some of these games can be a bit pricey, so I'm getting just one. Also, I saw "zelda: four swords adventure" so I don't know if thats good and the "Starfox Adventure" games. Thanks guys!

#18 Edited by Yadilie (380 posts) -

@par1val: Checking Amazon Used section is a good way to get some cheaper old games. Just have to be careful when you look at the condition section. Really wish they would add mandatory pictures of said items being sold. I've only had 1 snafu when I bought Final Fight Streetwise. Got a mangled PS2 case, but I guess a game like that deserves a case like that, heh.

#19 Edited by zombiepenguin9 (533 posts) -

I enjoyed Twilight Princess.

#20 Edited by BisonHero (6401 posts) -

@par1val said:

Wow what a turnout. I totally forgot about the "Metroid Prime" games. Right now I'm looking at "Eternal Darkness" and "Metroid". I noticed some of these games can be a bit pricey, so I'm getting just one. Also, I saw "zelda: four swords adventure" so I don't know if thats good and the "Starfox Adventure" games. Thanks guys!

Four Swords is meant to be more of a local co-op multiplayer game, except everybody needed to have Game Boy Advances because it used those as controllers via a link cable. There's a single player mode, but I'm just saying, it's a fucking weird game that is at its best when you A) have 1-3 friends to play it with, and B) have a whole bunch of peripherals.

I'd recommend getting Zelda: Wind Waker instead of Four Swords, if you can find it at a good price.

#21 Posted by Aleryn (704 posts) -

F-Zero GX. Pikmin 2. Wind Waker. Metroid Prime I.

#22 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11588 posts) -

Yep! Also:

• Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
  • People seem to like this Metroid Prime thing and its sequel less so
  • The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, possibly Twilight Princess
  • Super Mario Sunshine I guess?
  • Rogue Squadron II (and maybe III, though that one has some really ill-advised 3rd person segments)
  • Pikmin?

Man, as a kid who owned nothing but a gamecube for that entire console generation I am getting somewhat bummed out.

#23 Posted by ghostyTrickster (287 posts) -

Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2

This is it. This is all you need. Don't listen to anyone else. There is only 1 GameCube game and it is this.

#24 Posted by mrcraggle (1894 posts) -

I'll say it because no one else will; Baten Katos.

#25 Edited by BisonHero (6401 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

@apparatus_unearth said:

Yep! Also:

• Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
  • People seem to like this Metroid Prime thing and its sequel less so
  • The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, possibly Twilight Princess
  • Super Mario Sunshine I guess?
  • Rogue Squadron II (and maybe III, though that one has some really ill-advised 3rd person segments)
  • Pikmin?

Man, as a kid who owned nothing but a gamecube for that entire console generation I am getting somewhat bummed out.

Oh god, those fucking on-foot missions in Rogue Squadron III. THOSE FUCKING ON-FOOT MISSIONS. Aiming the blaster was so terrible, the grenades were hard to get kills with except when there were obvious clusters of guys, and they broke it up with lame turret sequences. Also, it seems laughable that they give you a lightsaber only for a couple missions near the end (Yoda's training, then the fight above the Sarlacc pit), and at no point do you ever fight Darth Vader or the Emperor, you just kill some Dagobah creatures, and then some of Jabba's guards, and then I guess Boba Fett. At least they were all shorter than the agonizing on-foot missions in Star Fox: Assault.

Rogue Squadron III's ground vehicle missions weren't...terrible. The speeder bike tutorial has you messing around in an open area on Tatooine, then weirdly in the actual campaign, I think you only ride speeder bikes 2 times, and both times you are basically in a narrow, winding corridor where you never have to make a turn that is much sharper than about 30 degrees. And the AT-ST stuff was...fine, but really wasn't anywhere near as interesting as the flying missions.

On the other hand, the game has a mission where you're flying a snowspeeder and can use the tow cable to pick up and tow FUCKING BOMBS, and then you do flybys of AT-ATs and let the bombs dangle behind you and collide with the AT-AT's head and it's totally rad. So I'm really conflicted; that game has some of the best arcadey flight combat missions that Factor 5 ever made, but good Lord, all that ground mission stuff.

I was also a kid who only owned a Gamecube that generation, and while I lament not having played a lot of the PS2 greats, I also wouldn't have had the money to buy all of the good PS2 games anyways, so I still would've missed stuff. And I ended up owning or renting or borrowing the vast majority of GCN games mentioned in this thread and those games are all totally killer. Zero fucks given that I never owned an Xbox, I got the general gist of Halo 1 and 2, and that's pretty much all I missed.

#26 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -
  • Pikmin
  • Pikmin 2
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Super Mario Sunshine (I will defend this game to the death)
  • Viewtiful Joe

Depending on what other systems to have, you might also want to get Killer 7, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

#27 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11588 posts) -

@bisonhero: You just had to remind me that Star Fox Assault is a game that existed, didn't you? Compared to that, Rogue Squadron III is pristine. I don't even remember a whole lot besides the part where it's a bad game and proof that Nintendo has no idea what the hell to do with Star Fox. Adventures just had the Star Fox name tacked on when it moved over from the N64 to the gamecube, and I haven't played that game in a long enough time that I'd feel uncomfortable making any sort of qualitative judgements about it. (Star Fox Command is a-ok in my book)

*ahem* Anyways, that mission where you played as Wedge and got to fly the Jedi Starfighter with the sonic pulse mines was pretty awesome.

#28 Edited by AbeTheGreatest (132 posts) -

Baten Kaitos, Resident Evil 4, Legend of Zelda games, Tony Hawk games, Viewtiful Joe

#29 Edited by BisonHero (6401 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: Yep. There's that moment where you realize A) if you roll while firing your entire payload, all of the disc-shaped explosion planes are at a different angle to each other and you have this expanding (almost) sphere of death that will destroy enemies in every direction, and B) the sonic pulse mines regenerate, so you can just keep doing this.

Though that was one of the only prequel trilogy nods that wasn't completely stupid. The on-foot mission where you randomly find the aforementioned Jedi Starfighter has you fighting a bunch of the Federation droids from the prequels even though they're decades old and abandoned, because why the fuck not?

#30 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Oh for fuck's sake, guys, not nearly enough Smash Melee recommendations in here. That's easily one of the GC's very best games.

Also, obligatorily, Dolphin. GC emulator. If you have a decent PC you can play GC and Wii games with vastly superior resolution and frame rate. It's pretty awesome.

#31 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (832 posts) -

F-Zero GX, Killer 7, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Pikmin 2, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Viewtiful Joe are all must haves in my book. The original Animal Crossing still holds a special place in my heard and I'd argue it's still the best game in the series, and if you can round up some friends, GBAs and GBA/GC link cables Four Swords Adventures is also amazing, but single player it's not worth playing.

#32 Posted by BisonHero (6401 posts) -

@pillclinton said:

Oh for fuck's sake, guys, not nearly enough Smash Melee recommendations in here. That's easily one of the GC's very best games.

That's tricky, because Melee has kind of had its time, and now it's really dependent on whether he has a friend group that is cool with getting into this local multiplayer game from 12 years ago. It's a great game, but you can only get so much out of the single player.

#33 Posted by believer258 (11775 posts) -
#34 Posted by pyromagnestir (4283 posts) -
#35 Edited by VierasTalo (728 posts) -
#36 Posted by Nightriff (4972 posts) -

Not enough Eternal Darkness love in this thread, get it. One of the best games ever.

#37 Edited by audioBusting (1493 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

You mean Melee?

Star Fox Adventures is a pretty mediocre game, in my opinion. Any other game mentioned in the thread so far is more worth playing at this point in time.

#38 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4599 posts) -

Also, I think that republic commandos game everyone loves was for gamecube too.

Man, how fucking weird is it that lucasarts is gone.

#39 Posted by VoshiNova (1670 posts) -

@chaser324 said:

• Luigi's Mansion
@jeffrud said:
  • Timesplitters 2 (same)
  • F-Zero GX
  • Tales of Symphonia
  • Soul Caliber II
  • Ikaruga
  • SSX3
@peasantabuse said:
  • Pikmin
  • Pikmin 2
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Mario Kart Double Dash
  • F Zero GX

None of these lists have Metroid Prime on them.

Shame.

Word. And yes, Sunshine is a must!

#40 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour

F-Zero GX

1080 Avalanche

MVP Baseball 2005

Waverace: Blue Storm

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

#41 Posted by TheMasterDS (2043 posts) -

I'd say... Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, Pikmin 2 if you can find it, Wind Waker if you don't have a Wii U, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime 1/2, Star Fox Adventures, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda Four Swords.

#42 Posted by Fattony12000 (7269 posts) -
#43 Edited by WarosVenus (12 posts) -

The two I like the best are Skies of Arcadia: Legends (RPG, space pirates), and Eternal Darkness (survival horror, puzzle). Fantastic games.

#44 Posted by locovoco (33 posts) -
#45 Posted by CircleNine (381 posts) -

Metroid Prime 2 isn't a very good game. Play the first one though, that's a really good game.

#46 Posted by gokaired (518 posts) -

Beyond Good and Evil (best version)

Rayman 3 (best version)

Street Fighter vs SNK 2

#47 Posted by MormonWarrior (2561 posts) -

Sorry to be that guy, but why did you buy a GameCube? If you were to get a Wii (which are dirt cheap now) you could run GameCube games in component 480p, and you'd have access to Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 which are the best games Nintendo's ever made, not to mention games like Metroid Prime 3, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and several others that are well worth checking out.

Anyway...uh, I really like the original Animal Crossing still, and Harvest Moon: Magical Melody is fun once you get over the bland presentation. Wind Waker is amazing, as are both of the Metroid Prime games and Resident Evil 4. Super Smash Bros. Melee is a MUST if you have any friends to play with. Super Mario Sunshine is no Galaxy, but it's still fun enough. Viewtiful Joe, Paper Mario, Pikmin/Pikmin 2 (though 2 is insanely expensive for the GC version...again, get a Wii) and even Star Fox Adventures is cool. SoulCalibur II. Mario Kart: Double Dash. Luigi's Mansion.

Man, the GameCube was the freaking best. I still like it more than the Xbox or PS2. Always have, always will. And in spite of my previous recommendation, the Wii was a serious letdown for me. It's still worth getting for the aforementioned reasons, but geez...

#48 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

Well, I'm going to name two good games that nobody mentioned yet!

Super Monkey Ball and Super Monkey Ball 2. They are the best Super Monkey Ball games (There's a deluxe version for the PS2 and XBOX that has all the levels from SMB and SMB2 if you're interested). I wouldn't recommend any other Super Monkey Ball games other than these as Sega ruined the series afterwards.

#49 Posted by BBAlpert (1429 posts) -

If you do end up playing Eternal Darkness (which I would recommend), I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. I loved the hell out of that game when I played it, but I have this weird, unfounded suspicion that it might not have aged well. Maybe it's still great, I don't know.

#50 Posted by D4RKSH33P (58 posts) -

My two most played games were Smash Brothers Melee and Timesplitters 2.