• 52 results
#1 Posted by Nonused (217 posts) -

What do you think is the greatest controller of all time? I'm gonna go with this one:

#2 Posted by rpwll (82 posts) -

I've always been a big fan of the GameCube controller. The buttons could feel a little nicer, but overall that thing fits my hands perfectly.

#3 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3065 posts) -

The 360 controller isn't bad. The (original) DPad is shit and the fucking annoying flashing lights when your controller is dying hold it back a bit. I hope the next Xbox's controller is just a better version of this one.

#4 Posted by ajamafalous (12035 posts) -

360 easily

#5 Posted by Krullban (1042 posts) -

360 controller is the best console controller of all time easily.

#6 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

No one controller is perfect but my favorite is the DualShock 3.

#7 Posted by BradBrains (1064 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

i agree with this. the button layout works well with most types of games and the Dpad is pretty decent. it could be that ive been using it for almost 18 years

#8 Edited by wemibelec90 (1742 posts) -

My vote is for the 360 controller. The D-pad is terrible, sure, but how often do you really need the d-pad nowadays? I'm a big fan of the Dualshock too, but the atrocious triggers and the feel of the sticks make it a lesser controller in my eyes.

#9 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

I was just thinking about this the other day. After recently playing Ni no Kuni for over 60 hours, I have to say I hate the DualShock 3 because of it's smaller size and my hands being pretty damn big, it's uncomfortable to hold for extend periods of time. I like the size of the 360 controller, it's grips are long enough that my pinkie fingers don't just dangle at the ends. I wish they made a controller the size of the Duke for the 360, that thing is the perfect size for my hands.

#10 Posted by Sinusoidal (1657 posts) -

I also have huge hands and prefer a smaller controller. Too much surface area contact and things just get sweaty.

That said, the best controller depends on the game being playing, but if I had to choose just one, I'd go with the dualshock. I don't have any problems with the sticks or the triggers. Xbox controllers are alright, but that dpad! And yes, the dpad is still important for many games that aren't first/third person shooters.

#11 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -
The best controller/deadly weapon

#12 Edited by Jnal (218 posts) -

@damisterchief: Hail to the king baby! In all seriousness I really like the 360 controller a lot. I never could get used to the Dual Shock controller and the stick placement, but if Sony flipped the d-pad and left stick it probably would be my favorite because its size fits my hands the best.

#13 Posted by kpaadet (410 posts) -
#14 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

Depends on what I'm playing. If it's a shooter or an action game in which you play a character with some weight to their movement, 360 (the sturdiness of the analog sticks make for motion that feels a bit more solid and heavy). If it's a JRPG or an action game that requires speed (DmC, fighting games) the Dualshock is the way to go for me.

#15 Posted by believer258 (11991 posts) -

I really like the PS2's but for some reason I don't really like the PS3's, and I've never quite been able to figure out why. They're essentially the same controller.

#16 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2490 posts) -

I'd say the 360 controller because of it's comfortableness and it works well for pretty much every game. Downside of course is they break easily.

Gamecube would be my runner up.

#17 Posted by rpwll (82 posts) -

Yeah the 360 controller is pretty great, shame about that d-pad. Also I find with the 360 controller, the triggers tend to depress a little into the controller's shell, so you'll be able to feel a sharp ridge when you press them down the full way. That and the d-pad keep it from being a perfect controller.

Regarding the GCN controller, I really like the way the triggers click right at the bottom, acting as an extra button, games like Super Mario Sunshine did cool stuff with that. I also really like having an octagonal surround around the analog stick and c-stick, as well as the great button arrangement. Unfortunately the d-pad on that thing is a little too small and the buttons tend not to give as much feedback as I'd like.

So yeah, probably a tie between the GCN and 360 controllers here.

#18 Posted by Zella (773 posts) -

For me it would be the Dual Shock 3, though switch it's analog sticks(shape not position) and triggers with the 360's and it would be incredible.

#19 Posted by Nonused (217 posts) -

Pffffft. Gamepads. The lesser controller.

(Although, yeah, that 360 shit is pretty sweet).

#20 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

I really like the PS2's but for some reason I don't really like the PS3's, and I've never quite been able to figure out why. They're essentially the same controller.

It's because you like the 360 best now. There wasn't that comparison to make during the PS2 days.

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I have to go with the 360 controller simply due to its versatility.

#22 Posted by gkhan (464 posts) -

The lack of votes for the Intellivision Keypad is... disturbing.

You could put plastic stuff on it and it would look all different! Shit's nuts, yo!

#23 Posted by believer258 (11991 posts) -

@pr1mus said:
@believer258 said:

It's because you like the 360 best now. There wasn't that comparison to make during the PS2 days.

Which would be a perfectly adequate explanation if I wasn't currently playing Nocturne.

#24 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6311 posts) -

The 360 controller is easily the best design, though that D-pad definitely needs work. I do really miss the glory days of joysticks. I think my ideal controller setup would just be two joysticks, one for each hand (phrasing!), mounted to an overstuffed recliner. Now that'd be amazing.

Moderator Online
#25 Posted by EricSmith (342 posts) -

"Limited Edition" 360 controller is best. Perfect size, the thumb sticks have great tension (the weak tensioning of the DualShock 3 kills that controller for me), everything feels like it is in the right place. Even the face buttons just feel right on the 360 pad. I also like the weight, I like feeling like I can break a jaw with my controller.

Other than that, the Madcatz GameCube controller was really, really dope.

#26 Posted by Soapy86 (2634 posts) -

360 controller easily.

#27 Posted by bitchypixels (67 posts) -

360 and SNES

#28 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

It's a hard choice between DS2 and DS3.

#29 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Super Famicom. Not the Super NES though. There's something about the buttons on the Super Famicom that make them feel 10x better than the SNES pink and purple ones.

#30 Posted by Andorski (5342 posts) -

Aww shit... if we can include arcade button layouts, then there is no contest:

#31 Posted by MOAB (410 posts) -
#32 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5719 posts) -

Dual Shock, all versions; even having acclimated to the poorer controllers given by Microsoft and Nintendo it's still not really close.

#33 Edited by Daveyo520 (6861 posts) -

The 360 controller is the best.

#34 Posted by Dethfish (3685 posts) -
This is a great one

Although, if we're talking functionality then I'd probably have to go with the 360 controllers. Makes me worried that they might fuck it up with the new console.

#35 Edited by NiKva (128 posts) -

The dualshock controllers easily. Sony has never had to change it, because it works.

#36 Edited by jking47 (1215 posts) -
#37 Posted by 71Ranchero (2782 posts) -

Best D-pad ever created, optimal button layout(6 face buttons should be standard), and great feel in the hands.

#38 Edited by cutyoface (547 posts) -

Mine would be the dual shock 3.

#39 Posted by seamus85 (116 posts) -

dual shock 3.

#40 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -
@seamus85 said:

dual shock 3.

Specifically: The translucent blue Dualshock 3. Something about that controller just feels... right.

#41 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2259 posts) -

The Xbox 360 controller with the twisty D-Pad is in my opinion the best controller for the modern era, I think Microsoft would be crazy to try and change the design for next generation.

#42 Posted by mikey87144 (1797 posts) -

Probably the SNES controller. My favorite is the Dualshock though since it hasn't really changed since Sony introduced it.

#43 Posted by Demoskinos (15013 posts) -

I think it has to be the dualshock right?

#44 Edited by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

This.

#45 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

Either the PS1, PS2, or PS3 controller is the best.

PSP is also really good. The Vita's buttons feel like a downgrade from it.

#46 Edited by OldGuy (1566 posts) -

I like the Razer Onza (non tournament) 360 controller. A better Dpad than the most, short throw buttons, sticks feel good and you can program the stick presses onto the extra shoulder buttons.

#47 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

360 d-pad issue has been fixed in the new ones. The twist up design works well and hopefully will be present on all pads for the next gen console.

Prior to that fix, it has been a toss-up between the dualshock and the 360 pad. 360 for anything that needs a good analog trigger feel (racing) and dualshock if d-pad is important. They're both crappy for 2D fighting, but that's why the arcade stick is still a profitable peripheral for Mad Catz, Hori et al.

#48 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Vita has the best d-pad of all time.

Otherwise the 360 pad.

Nobody should be saying the PS3 pad when it has those horrible triggers. Dualshock 2 sure, although I still think the Dualshock design is flawed by not having concave analog sticks, otherwise it's fine, the face buttons are much nicer than the competition and I prefer L1/R1 over bumpers.

#49 Edited by kalibr (120 posts) -

I may just be crazy but I really liked the Dreamcast controller. When I first took it out of the box and looked at it next to the Playstation controller I was so used to I thought it would be garbage but the weight feel of it was just right for me and the VMU screen was way ahead of its time so Ill give it props for that. With the dualshock my hands would cramp a lot. I do like my 360 controller but something about the dreamcast sticks with me as my favorite. Apparently I'm wayyy in the minority though

#50 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

360 d-pad issue has been fixed in the new ones. The twist up design works well and hopefully will be present on all pads for the next gen console.

Prior to that fix, it has been a toss-up between the dualshock and the 360 pad. 360 for anything that needs a good analog trigger feel (racing) and dualshock if d-pad is important. They're both crappy for 2D fighting, but that's why the arcade stick is still a profitable peripheral for Mad Catz, Hori et al.

The Dualshock d-pad is fine for 2D fighting, the only problem is it hurts your thumb after a while. (Vita one is much better at this) I switch between my Vita and arcade stick often for Marvel vs. Capcom 3, the main reason arcade sticks are better is because having 6 face buttons is better than 4 + trigger area buttons, the stick itself isn't really what makes me enjoy an arcade stick more, it's being able to hold 2-3 buttons down at the same time with ease, that's just awkward on the Dualshock or Vita.