• 71 results
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

There are lots of great features on giantbomb.

There are lots of useful features that, for some reason or another, a new user might not be aware of. For those of you who use the site frequently, there will no doubt be features here that you had forgotten existed. Sometimes new features get added without any real announcements being made as to their arrival. In making this list I surprised myself at least twice with areas of the site I had never seen before, and I use giantbomb every day.

If I miss anything, feel free to berate me in the comments below :D

• The text box in which you write comments is WYSIWYG interactive. What you see is what you get: So you can press ctrl + I at any time to make your font italics for example. Or you could press ctrl + B to make everything bold as fuck.

• If you want to check if the thread you are creating already exists and the search bar isn't showing any results, head to the wiki page of your chosen topic and check the "Forums" link on the left. This will show a complete list of every thread that has been linked to that game.
No Caption Provided

• If you go to your navigation bar at the top of the page and go to Users > Activity Feed you can see a live updating list of everything that's happening on the site in realtime.
No Caption Provided

• If you want to narrow it down, in the top right corner of the page click on the list of online users you are following and click the "Following XXX" link. This will take you to a page where you can filter the recent activity of the users you are following into blogs, who is online, and a general feed of all activity.
No Caption Provided

• There's a whole trivia section of the site where you can test your videogame knowledge, with questions entirely written by other users. There are leaderboards and streaks for how many questions you can get right in a row. For me that number is about 6. Because i'm an idiot.
No Caption Provided

• If you click the News button on your navigation bar and then click the Headlines tab, you can scroll through all the articles that have been posted on the site. If you haven't checked the frontpage for a few days then this is probably the best way to catch up with what's going on as some news can get pushed off the front page if it gets busy.
No Caption Provided

• The Whiskey footer at the bottom of the page is a great way to see what's happening with the other whiskey sites, but if for some reason you don't want that footer cluttering up your page you can click the "Slim Footer" link at the very bottom to hide it.
No Caption Provided

• If you have trouble reading the site with it's current colour settings, you can invert the primary colours using the button in your profile drop-down menu. This is great for people with bad eyesight but also people who like pain, as the white site burns the fuck out of your retinas! [EDIT: it's not actually as bad as I remember]
No Caption Provided

• If you click the Help button on the navigation bar, then go to Wiki Tasks, you can find a list of all the wiki pages that need work. Completing wiki tasks will earn you bonus points. You can see the wiki leaderboards by going to the Users > Top Users link on the navigation bar.
No Caption Provided

• You can actually read about the fellow members of the bomb shelter (We don't call it the bomb shelter) by clicking the "See Mini Bio" link which sits next to each users post on the forums. This is stupidly obvious but it's amazing how many people forget about it.
Free plug for Hamz :D

#BONUS

• Thanks to everyone who dropped me a comment below, one thing everyone seems to love is the Konami code which I had no idea even existed. If you input the Konami code anywhere on giantbomb you will instantly be forwarded to the Contra page. It's because of shit like this that giantbomb is the best website on the internet. The code is:

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B, A, Enter

Try it out. Go ahead, I'll wait for you.

Welcome back. Pretty cool, huh? :D

There are lots of other great features, too many to mention in one blog.

If I have missed anything you feel is being ignored please drop a comment and I will add it to the list. I hope that in reading this list you have found something or other that you weren't aware of that you might find useful.

Thanks For Reading

Love Sweep

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

There are lots of great features on giantbomb.

There are lots of useful features that, for some reason or another, a new user might not be aware of. For those of you who use the site frequently, there will no doubt be features here that you had forgotten existed. Sometimes new features get added without any real announcements being made as to their arrival. In making this list I surprised myself at least twice with areas of the site I had never seen before, and I use giantbomb every day.

If I miss anything, feel free to berate me in the comments below :D

• The text box in which you write comments is WYSIWYG interactive. What you see is what you get: So you can press ctrl + I at any time to make your font italics for example. Or you could press ctrl + B to make everything bold as fuck.

• If you want to check if the thread you are creating already exists and the search bar isn't showing any results, head to the wiki page of your chosen topic and check the "Forums" link on the left. This will show a complete list of every thread that has been linked to that game.
No Caption Provided

• If you go to your navigation bar at the top of the page and go to Users > Activity Feed you can see a live updating list of everything that's happening on the site in realtime.
No Caption Provided

• If you want to narrow it down, in the top right corner of the page click on the list of online users you are following and click the "Following XXX" link. This will take you to a page where you can filter the recent activity of the users you are following into blogs, who is online, and a general feed of all activity.
No Caption Provided

• There's a whole trivia section of the site where you can test your videogame knowledge, with questions entirely written by other users. There are leaderboards and streaks for how many questions you can get right in a row. For me that number is about 6. Because i'm an idiot.
No Caption Provided

• If you click the News button on your navigation bar and then click the Headlines tab, you can scroll through all the articles that have been posted on the site. If you haven't checked the frontpage for a few days then this is probably the best way to catch up with what's going on as some news can get pushed off the front page if it gets busy.
No Caption Provided

• The Whiskey footer at the bottom of the page is a great way to see what's happening with the other whiskey sites, but if for some reason you don't want that footer cluttering up your page you can click the "Slim Footer" link at the very bottom to hide it.
No Caption Provided

• If you have trouble reading the site with it's current colour settings, you can invert the primary colours using the button in your profile drop-down menu. This is great for people with bad eyesight but also people who like pain, as the white site burns the fuck out of your retinas! [EDIT: it's not actually as bad as I remember]
No Caption Provided

• If you click the Help button on the navigation bar, then go to Wiki Tasks, you can find a list of all the wiki pages that need work. Completing wiki tasks will earn you bonus points. You can see the wiki leaderboards by going to the Users > Top Users link on the navigation bar.
No Caption Provided

• You can actually read about the fellow members of the bomb shelter (We don't call it the bomb shelter) by clicking the "See Mini Bio" link which sits next to each users post on the forums. This is stupidly obvious but it's amazing how many people forget about it.

#BONUS

• Thanks to everyone who dropped me a comment below, one thing everyone seems to love is the Konami code which I had no idea even existed. If you input the Konami code anywhere on giantbomb you will instantly be forwarded to the Contra page. It's because of shit like this that giantbomb is the best website on the internet. The code is:

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B, A, Enter

Try it out. Go ahead, I'll wait for you.

Welcome back. Pretty cool, huh? :D

There are lots of other great features, too many to mention in one blog.

If I have missed anything you feel is being ignored please drop a comment and I will add it to the list. I hope that in reading this list you have found something or other that you weren't aware of that you might find useful.

Thanks For Reading

Love Sweep

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cincaid

Hey, I knew most of these! Nice list nontheless. :)

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Damien

Never plug ham.  It tastes funny after that, if it doesn't explode first.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Hamz

I endorse this blog. A nice helpful pointer to newer or less observant users on how to find some things on the site. 

Nice work :)

Skullo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Skullo

Must remember that.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By ZombiePie

The Activity Feed is like its own television show.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7  Edited By natetodamax

There's a wiki side to Giant Bomb that many people, including the staff, neglect.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ISuperGamerI

Sweet I didn't know about #7 and #9 so nice work.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By RobotHamster

Here's one you didn't post, enter the contra code anywhere on the site and it takes you straight to the contra page.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By Hamst3r
@Sweep said:

"

My mini bio thing has a music player in it. :)
wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By wrathofconn

Nice list.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#12  Edited By Sin4profit

so where's the thread for suggesting new features? the old suggestion thread seems to be dead from what i searched.
I suggest "unions" like they had at Gamespot...ya know...in the event that maybe a Christian gamer may want to find such a sub-community in this gaming community without being virtually stoned to death by attempting to find them in the forums while making other community members feel alienated....just something that comes to mind.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By tmthomsen

How was it that arrow-keys shortcut was? It was some sort of fighting game move.

Down, Down, Left, Left, something?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Sin4profit said:
" so where's the thread for suggesting new features? the old suggestion thread seems to be dead from what i searched. I suggest "unions" like they had at Gamespot...ya know...in the event that maybe a Christian gamer may want to find such a sub-community in this gaming community without being virtually stoned to death by attempting to find them in the forums while making other community members feel alienated....just something that comes to mind. "
I heard about that. Sounded like a pretty messy clusterfuck and, having read about it afterwards, it's the sort of thing that most giantbomb members are actually pretty embarrassed to be associated with. Let me iterate that not all giantbomb members are complete goons. Whatever happened in that thread was just an unfortunate culmination of people acting like idiots over a sensitive topic. There are lots of cool users here too :)
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

It seems that I knew all this beforehand. Yay me.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Video_Game_King: I would expect nothing less from the king.
Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

Never knew most of it, will probably forget it, but there's one thing I will remember and THIS IS IT!!!  Thanks for letting me use hotkeys instead of being stuck clicking little annoying buttons -- once I have my hands at the keyboard I hate to handle a mouse.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sin4profit
@Sweep:  Agreed, but something in the way of sub-community groups for Giant Bomb members to be a part of may eliminate the cluster of "where my peeps at" threads that appear in the GB forums..whether it be locational organization, religion, photoshop'ers, or whatever. A way for people to find their sub-group without having to alienate others in the forums....just a thought.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dany

wow that activity feed is cool

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By one_2nd

I knew everything you posted, but nice job nonetheless. 

RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By RTSlord

wow, i knew more of these than i thought i would. i knew like half or a little more than that

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By ajamafalous
@TMThomsen said:
" How was it that arrow-keys shortcut was? It was some sort of fighting game move.  Down, Down, Left, Left, something? "
Contra code, bro.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

This should be stickied or something.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By BraveToaster

This is good

Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Glak

Great job in putting together list which can help a bunch of people

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fjordson

Ace list. I had no idea # 1 existed.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#27  Edited By sjschmidt93

#1 and  #9 are new to me.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By nickux

Really refreshing to see a post like this amidst so many other topics bitching about the site. Kudos

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zimbo

haha  I just saw the activity feed update with "Sweep is now following Zimbo" I can't believe I didn't know about this.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Mr_Skeleton
@Hamst3r said:
" @Sweep said:

"
My mini bio thing has a music player in it. :) "

I live inside my mini bio.
DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By DevWil

well done.  you spelled 'color' wrong, though. :>

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By jakob187

I knew about all these things.  Regardless, good blog!

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I knew about all of these; nonetheless this is a very nice summary.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By meteora

I wish the activity feed was actually longer in length, its hard to keep track of the constant twitter and profile updates. =/

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tmthomsen
@ajamafalous said:
" @TMThomsen said:
" How was it that arrow-keys shortcut was? It was some sort of fighting game move.  Down, Down, Left, Left, something? "
Contra code, bro. "
Ah, yes! The Konami Code! That has got to be one of my favorite easter eggs.
jonfresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jonfresh

How did I never notice 'see mini bio' before? Weird.

Great post man.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#37  Edited By LordAndrew

The white site is actually the only way to make the site usable on the monitor I'm currently using. Love burning those retinas.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#38  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Genius, Sweep.  Pure, unadulterated genius.  Thanks for putting this up.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iam3green

good job on that. i knew a lot of them. but still is good for people that are new here.

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ronald

The one I really didn't think about using before was the activity feed. It's strangely hypnotic staring at the constant stream of updates and new people who start following all of the guys who run the site.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By EpicSteve

good shit :)

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jasta

Nice one, I have never noticed that "See mini bio" button until you mentioned it.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RandomHero666
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@DevWil said:

" well done.  you spelled 'color' wrong, though. :> "

Not in England I didn't ;) 

It's weird how many people weren't aware of the Mini Bio and the Wiki Tasks.

I think there needs to be some sort of official way for the staff posting updates. At the moment it goes out via staff blogs, but you can never really be sure which member of staff will be posting what and it can be very easy to miss. An official "Patch updates" type of page would be really useful :O     
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By MysteriousBob

You follow 60 people?! Thats absurd, I only follow 2.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@MysteriousBob: I actually follow 563 people. Only 60 of them were online ;)
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By Daveyo520

Hamz is such a whore.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By sparklykiss

You know, I've looked everywhere for #4, but constantly overlooked it. Derp derp. 

#7 was also new to me. Nice list! 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LiquidPrince

Am I awesome since I knew all that =P

Darkpen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points