• 128 results
#1 Posted by Demoskinos (15091 posts) -

So, as I sit here at 2am ready to collapse into a coma for the night I figured I'd post this and see what you guys think. I've been obsessed with sleeping dogs the last few days. I got it last Wed and completed the story earlier in the day er...(technically yesterday?) anyways early on about halfway through the story I ended up making the commitment to 100% the game and get all of the achievements. I'm at 86% completion right now. Last time I can remember doing this was I think last year for Saints Row The Third another open world game which I bothered doing absolutely every last little thing in. So, do you 100% games? If so what kind of games? (they don't HAVE to be open world games) And what gives you the motivation to commit? Lastly praise be to the bomb crew as today's glorious 3+ hour bombcast helped with much of my collectible hunting.

#2 Posted by MB (12911 posts) -

100% for me is when I'm done having fun with a game.

#3 Posted by MonetaryDread (2129 posts) -

Almost never unless a game has that magic something. An example of what I am talking about is Disgaea 2 on PSP, I have over 600 hours into the game and I am still finding new goals to achieve. I'm starting to believe that this attempt and reaching 100% is impossible for me.

#4 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Pretty much never. There are very few games where I have done so.

#5 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

When that game is called Batman: Arkham Asylum I do.

#6 Posted by Genkkaku (738 posts) -

I do if it's either a game I really love or a game that I'm so for into that it'd just be a waste to not

#7 Edited by AjayRaz (12459 posts) -

pretty much never. it's usually too much of a hassle for me and it can often take all of the fun out of the game or me. Saints Row The Third is probably the only game that i ever got 100% completion in. i'm done with a game once i stop having fun with it, like MB said.

#8 Posted by Giantstalker (1708 posts) -

Haven't done a 100% completion in years. I used to try, and even succeed, but that was a long time ago.

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (12276 posts) -

I would like to, but usually I just can't be bothered. The last game I think I got 100% on was Binding of Isaac - mainly because I just couldn't get enough of that game; one of the best games I've ever played :D

#10 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

Literally don't think I've ever 100%ed a game.

#11 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

nah, i dont do that. its not fun for me to do stupid crap like that.

like i played the CRAP out of gta4 for example, i did pretty much EVERYTHING in it, except, i didnt bother with the stupid pidgeons cus thats not fun.

#12 Posted by ConfusedOwl (960 posts) -

I always tell myself that I'm going to 100% games but I usually don't in the end. I get distracted with other games once I beat the main stories.

#13 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I rarely even take a look at the list of achievements, let alone 100% them-- I've only ever got 100% in 3 games, I believe.

#14 Posted by CheapPoison (743 posts) -

If reaching the 100% is meaningfull and fun i will probably do it.

If it has some arbitrary collectibles or some other stuff to just bloat it out, I just won't bother. Bit like Batman, they gave ou something but there was just too much to bother with it.

#15 Posted by mrpandaman (870 posts) -

@MB said:

This is exactly how I play my games.

#16 Posted by Aronleon (809 posts) -

Only if I really love the game then yes I will 100% it no matter what, also I like to do it if possible before the end of the game say Legend of Zelda I love to go full hearts all upgrades etc before the final battle.

#17 Posted by JackSukeru (5946 posts) -

I went out of my way to 100% Bionic Commando on PS3, but that's really the only time I have done so. I usually check the achievemets and go for what I can but there's often a few that are too much work for me to bother with. Which is as it should be, they wouldn't be "achievements" if they were all easy.

#18 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

Only when I'm really enjoying a game. I play mostly XBLA games and 100%-ing those don't take too much time.

#19 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (944 posts) -

I used to try and do this, which resulted in me 100% GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas. But there are too many games now, and work, and books, and movies...

So I rarely do it now. I am still going to try with Arkham City, and I think I did it in Arkham Asylum. Oh, and I believe I did it in AssCreed: Brotherhood. Or was it AssCreed 2?

#20 Posted by Lost_Remnant (122 posts) -

If we're just talking achievement's wise, I've 100% quite a few. If we're talking in addition to just stuff that doesn't show up with achievements but goes towards an overall 100% in the games that do track everything, then that number is lower.

With any videogame though, if the road to get 100% just isn't fun or just so, so tedious (some games really do go overboard with collectibles for example) then I will not. If I'm not having fun then what is the point? Games with multiplayer achievements are also more prone to me not getting that 100% either unless I have a crew of friends who also like the game and I just get it overtime. Since I never play multiplayer games, even the competitive ones by myself.

#21 Posted by Jaeya (10 posts) -

The only games I ever really feel inclined to 100% are visual novels.

The reason for that is that I love exploring every possible outcome of the story, and seeing how the endings with different characters/choices pan out.

I think that's how I managed to sink around 8 hours into Magical Diary in one sitting. ._.

#22 Posted by JoeyRavn (5004 posts) -

I try to do it, whenever possible... meaning "no multiplayer unlocks/Achievements". I like S-Ranking games, which usually involves 100%ing them, but when I have to play multiplayer for it... fuck it. I 100%ed Assassin's Creed 1 and 2, but I never touched the MP portions of Brotherhood and Revelations, for example.

Just yesterday (today, actually) I stayed until 4 in the morning finishing up Sleeping Dogs to 100%. I feel I can move on now.

#23 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Jaeya said:

The only games I ever really feel inclined to 100% are visual novels.

I was going to come in here and say that I never 100% anything, but I 100% visual novels as well.

It's meant to be played that way! I'm not doing anything wrong! Aaaaaaargh!

#24 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@MB said:
Pretty much the same for me. 
When I've completed a game and gotten what I wanted out of it and it's boring to go back to the game I usually think: "Hmm, I could totally 100% it" 
But I never do because I wouldn't have fun with the game at that point
#25 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

Only in games I really like.

#26 Posted by TobbRobb (4814 posts) -

I think the only game I have actually 100%, ever, is the first Jak and Daxter. Partially because it was my only game for a while, partially because its awesome and partially because it's easy.

Otherwise I never bother to go that far with anything really. I tried with Bayonetta because <3. But that game is fucking hard.

#27 Posted by Nev (558 posts) -

More or less 100%'d Oblivion and Fallout 3, at least achievements wise, but otherwise, never has been a 'thing' for me, really.

I did S-Rank Dead Rising: Case Zero, though, like pretty much everyone who bought it did. Kind of it, I suppose.

#28 Edited by believer258 (12081 posts) -

@MB said:

There's my answer!

I've 100%'d Metroid Prime 1 and Rage, and that's it. That's all I can think of. I hardly ever bother to 100% any game because I don't generally have fun sticking my nose in every corner or spending 30 minutes trying to find the small key to get into the hidden gate in a far off corner of the map to get the last whatever.

EDIT: Also, for what it's worth, I got everything in Modern Warfare 2 as well. All of the Intel and beat it on Veteran.

EDIT 2: Also the first Jak and Daxter. Maybe I've done this more than I thought...

#29 Posted by SeanFoster (881 posts) -

I've 100%'d some downloadable indie games but that's it. I normally don't play much past finishing the main story,

#30 Posted by guiseppe (2842 posts) -

Depends on the game. In games I enjoy and I see that as a possibility, I'll more than likely go for 100%.

#31 Posted by Phr4nk0 (349 posts) -

I go into every game with the idea of 100%ing it. I think I have a mild case of OCD. Also if I play a game in a franchise I have to play and 100% the rest too. Atleast eventualy, which is what I tell myself to keep me sane. It leads to a really big backlog of games.

#32 Posted by crusader8463 (14426 posts) -

God no! I play games to have fun and all of those things they add into games as time syncs to get the 100% are always tedious, frustrating and boring all at the same time. They are made for masochists and I have never found a game that did that kind of stuff in any sort of interesting way.

#33 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Depends on the how much I like the game. Most Metroid games I've 100%. It's fun when I see stuff like that. Working on Batman Arkham City but that game is sort of hard to 100%.

#34 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

@MB said:

Pretty much was gonna say this.

#35 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Sometimes. I did FF13-2 the other day, and will probably do Transformers:FoC.

#36 Posted by living4theday258 (680 posts) -

I 100%'d metroid fusion, but thats it........ however I wanna see someone 100% just cause 2.

#37 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

If it's a good game sure 

Achievements-wise though, hell no. Only game I could be bothered with is Shadow Complex's 200 points and that's pushing it.

#38 Posted by jaycrockett (476 posts) -

Depends on the game of course, but to me 100% says "I did what the game told me to" rather than "I did everything I wanted".

#39 Posted by Nitrocore (369 posts) -

I rarely 100% a game, but if it's a game I really enjoy playing I like to get the most out of it.

#40 Posted by Demoskinos (15091 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

pretty much never. it's usually too much of a hassle for me and it can often take all of the fun out of the game or me. Saints Row The Third is probably the only game that i ever got 100% completion in. i'm done with a game once i stop having fun with it, like MB said.

Says the man I saw sitting at 90% in sleeping dogs. =p

#41 Edited by betterboulder (190 posts) -

I'm always doing the Vinny thing of trying to get everything as I go but unless I'm right at the cusp of 100% by the close of the game, I really won't even bother. The games I usually get close in are open-world games that I usually always come back too.

#42 Posted by killacam (1286 posts) -

no. fuck no. i'll try to do every side-quest and see every storyline if they are enjoyable to do, not just for completion's sake. yakuza, persona, those types of games that just have great enough writing for you to WANT to explore every nook. so, crazy japanese games, i guess.

#43 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

Not often! I wanted to 100% the Assassin Creed games but meh, I get distracted too easily. It also takes way more patience than I have to 100% games! Good luck with Sleeping Dogs if you decide to do it!

#44 Edited by BBAlpert (1554 posts) -

I think the only times I ever 100% games are when they have weird scoring systems that extend past a hundred (Fez, Castlevania: SotN, etc). That's not to say I max out the score on those, going to 212% or whatever, but if the game is set up to allow you to get that high, I generally will end up with at least 100%

#45 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

@MB said:

Pow! That's my answer too.

#46 Edited by iFail (236 posts) -

I can't even finish most games' singleplayer modes once, so the thought of a 100% completion is unfathomable to me.

As in, I have been within 30 minutes of beating Red Dead Redemption for a year now and I have not tried to play that game since.

#47 Posted by probablytuna (3795 posts) -

I only attempt 100% when certain stars align, like when I'm really into a game, the collectibles or side missions that contribute to 100% aren't hard to find/complete and it doesn't involve multiplayer. So far I think I've only ever 100% five games at most. Off the top of my head they would be Assassin's Creed: Revelations and Red Dead Redemption and currently the first two episodes of The Walking Dead.

#48 Posted by Humanity (9825 posts) -

Never. The game stops being fun for me way before I get to that number. Hats off to the person who makes a game where getting to 100% isn't a real chore.

#49 Posted by 49th (2813 posts) -

Only 100% Sly Cooper but that was way easy. and some PSN games but those are way short.

#50 Edited by Turambar (6842 posts) -

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are the only games I've even considered 100%ing.

Of course, this isn't including games that I 100% over the natural course of playing, like Persona 3 and 4.