$10,000 contest in game design for 18-28 year-olds

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

Edited By ahoodedfigure

I don't know how many game designers read GB.  I guess this isn't really a game DESIGNER'S site so much as a game consumer one, although there's overlap.  This is interesting anyway:

There is a contest in which 1-5 people aged 18 to 28 years old could win $10,000 dollars for a creative game concept which addresses the problem of the skyrocketing national debt in the U.S.

Take it as it's given, I don't know anything about this contest other than what's on this website.  I'm not qualified to participate anyway, I just thought I'd pass it along to any budding or current game developers out there :)

Text lifted from the contest website (click on this link for full information):

What Is It?

Get rid of your debt by taking the Indebted Digital Challenge. Come up with a creative, original idea for a video game that addresses the nation’s fiscal crisis and you or your team could receive $10,000 if your concept is chosen as the winner. You will also be credited in the final game and may have the opportunity to work with mtvU to make your idea a reality.

Who Can Participate?

Applicants must be 18-28 years old and can participate individually or in teams of up to five people

When Is It Due?

Applications due: January 7, 2009
Winner chosen: January 23, 2009

What Do I Need to Know?

To contend for the winning spot, your idea must:

• Raise awareness about the dangers of spending too much and saving too little, and the urgent need for citizens and government to make responsible choices about their finances.
  • Address the potential future ramifications of inaction.
  • Identify ways to combat the nation’s looming fiscal crisis through citizen advocacy and combat personal financial risk through debt management at home.
  • Compel users to learn more about debt-related issues and take action after game play on this website; game ideas are not required to tackle every element of the U.S. budget and financial challenge within game play.
  • Be interactive and able to live and be spread online.
  • Keep the following in consideration:
    • Be hopeful and empowering
    • Entertain and engage the audience
    • Ensure game play is easy to follow
    • Be unique and not afraid to push the envelope
    • Remain relevant to the college audience
ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I don't know how many game designers read GB.  I guess this isn't really a game DESIGNER'S site so much as a game consumer one, although there's overlap.  This is interesting anyway:

There is a contest in which 1-5 people aged 18 to 28 years old could win $10,000 dollars for a creative game concept which addresses the problem of the skyrocketing national debt in the U.S.

Take it as it's given, I don't know anything about this contest other than what's on this website.  I'm not qualified to participate anyway, I just thought I'd pass it along to any budding or current game developers out there :)

Text lifted from the contest website (click on this link for full information):

What Is It?

Get rid of your debt by taking the Indebted Digital Challenge. Come up with a creative, original idea for a video game that addresses the nation’s fiscal crisis and you or your team could receive $10,000 if your concept is chosen as the winner. You will also be credited in the final game and may have the opportunity to work with mtvU to make your idea a reality.

Who Can Participate?

Applicants must be 18-28 years old and can participate individually or in teams of up to five people

When Is It Due?

Applications due: January 7, 2009
Winner chosen: January 23, 2009

What Do I Need to Know?

To contend for the winning spot, your idea must:

• Raise awareness about the dangers of spending too much and saving too little, and the urgent need for citizens and government to make responsible choices about their finances.
  • Address the potential future ramifications of inaction.
  • Identify ways to combat the nation’s looming fiscal crisis through citizen advocacy and combat personal financial risk through debt management at home.
  • Compel users to learn more about debt-related issues and take action after game play on this website; game ideas are not required to tackle every element of the U.S. budget and financial challenge within game play.
  • Be interactive and able to live and be spread online.
  • Keep the following in consideration:
    • Be hopeful and empowering
    • Entertain and engage the audience
    • Ensure game play is easy to follow
    • Be unique and not afraid to push the envelope
    • Remain relevant to the college audience
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By brukaoru

Sounds like the person would be creating a reality sim. What fun! $10,000 to make a boring game! w00t. Well, if the winner is able to pursue other creations that are actually good games, then I guess it would be worth it.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Sounds to me like they want us to design a boring game.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Hexpane

I believe this is advertising spam

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Suddenly I think I see this idea in a new light. Do you realize how funny it could be to have a game discouraging people from spending money? Set it up like some cheesy infomercial type deal. I think it could score a few laughs. Though it'd have to be free because I don't think anyone in their right mind would pay for it.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Well, I think if you've got the mindset that all games have to be a certain way, yeah it could be boring.  I guess that's why there's a contest, no one could just come up with an idea on their own.  Not sure what kind of game it would be, but since I'm not in the age range I don't much care.

Advertising spam, Worf?  I was just passing it along, since a lot of people fashion themselves as game designers, I thought it might be cool for them to see.  If you read it it's not advertising much of anything, it's an actual contest.  I will say that I'm surprised by how irked I feel at being accused of forwarding spam...  it's the first time people have ever said anything of the sort to me.  I usually try to make decent decisions about what I talk about.  Thanks for your participation, anyway.

Actually, greatguero, I think you're on to something.  If you did it straight the cynicism of these comments would probably be reflected in people's outlook on the game, but if you sorta make fun of the opposition a bit or try to go too far in the other direction and watch the national debt explode, that might at least get the message across.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By lordofultima

I'd rather not think about real-world crisis when I'm playing a game. But thanks anyway.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Chummy8

Damn.. I'm too old.  That's bullshit.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ahoodedfigure

War's the number one theme.  I guess it depends on if you're shooting aliens or people.

@TekZero : Yeah, it is serious bullshit.