1UP / EGM - Discuss it here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Hamz

Hey folks, friendly neighbourhood moderator Hamz here with a brand new sticky for you all!

Basically to keep the boards from being clogged up with various topics and blogs regarding the recent news about 1UP and EGM I ask that you keep the discussion in here. I know some topics already exist and have some established discussion but we're going to lock them down and ask you come in here to continue discussion about it.

Also please do not be dicks about people losing their job. Whether you liked them or not these are regular folks that have lost their job during some harsh economic times, so try and spare some sympathy for them and not be dicks about it.

And if you've just arrived here to GiantBomb from 1UP then feel free to read the two most important guides on the site, Forum and Wiki FAQ guides. Link!

Hamz

EDIT - Forgot to mention if you have blogged about this and it was locked down, do not despair as people can still comment on the blog if they visit your profile page and locate the blog there. Locking a blog posted to the forums simply stops it from being bumped in the forums, it doesn't stop people commenting on it should they do what I just said above!

EDIT 2 - Link to the GiantBomb article by the Staff concerning these events at 1UP. Read and comment folks!  (copied below)

Added by Brad on Jan. 6, 200937 comments
The giant crowd at the PAX 1UP Yours Live event was something to see.
The giant crowd at the PAX 1UP Yours Live event was something to see.
There's no easy way to talk about people losing their jobs, especially when they're people you're friends with. Now-former Ziff Davis game property 1UPannounced its rumored acquisition by UGO today, with reports coming in from all over about massive layoffs and the closure of Ziff's sole remaining print magazine, Electronic Gaming Monthly, in the wake of the deal. MTV Multiplayer has done the hard part for me with this report.

Rumors around the sale of 1UP.com and the future of legendary magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly are no longer rumors. Ziff Davis Media has announced the sale of 1UP.com and its web site subsidiaries to UGO Entertainment and decided to close down long-standing game publication EGM. “We believe this is a smart transaction for Ziff Davis Media that places these market leading assets and teams in a great environment poised for further success,” said Ziff Davis Media CEO Jason Young in the official release. “The transaction allows us to pay down debt and shift our full focus to our core PCMag Digital Network business. We thank our 1UP team members for their contributions and wish them the best of success into the future.” In addition to these moves, a series of layoffs have hit Ziff Davis. MTV Multiplayer has learned from multiple sources more than 30 people were laid off as part of the transition, including much of the GameVideos.com team. 1UP Show creator Ryan O’Donnell and producer Matt Chandronait announced that popular video podcast The 1UP Show would not be produced any longer on their Twitter feeds. Other notable layoffs include podcast producer Andrew Pfister.

Joystiq also has a rumored full list of the layoffs, indicating the bulk of the editorial and video departments have been let go.

We all have friends and respected industry colleagues among the (former) ranks at 1UP, and we were especially honored and humbled to appear recently on what's now become the last two episodes of 1UP Yours. Thus, this post is primarily here to express condolences and best wishes to those 1UP staffers who have departed the company. It felt a little weird to go on putting up the usual goofy game news and screenshots of Cammy while a bunch of other people making the same living as us abruptly found themselves out of work this afternoon.

We'll pour out a 40 or two for those chaps tonight, which--if you know us--is really the fondest farewell we could bestow.
TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By TheGamerGeek

*Goes back to crying* I really hate this.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By bwooduhs

Thank god there might just be one thread about it now.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Death_Burnout

i kinda liked the current thread.

HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By HelixSnake

Lame. It was nice to have the forums buzzing with activity for once.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By SpecTackle

I'm excited to see new faces.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Thrawn1

looks like shit's going down throughout the entire industry....

here's to hoping that 2009 will improve!

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Death_Burnout
HelixSnake said:
"Lame. It was nice to have the forums buzzing with activity for once."
i kinda agree
CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By CreamyGoodness

I WANT MY 1up PODCASTS. Im really sorry for the guys who got laid off, they did great work

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox

but there are multiple topics being discussed in the various threads. they're not all "RIP EGM" posts.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Death_Burnout

Yeah actually...that thread jakob started...was really good! then you take it away :(

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

Good call, sir.  Maybe you could post up links in the OP also so people can see the discussions that have already taken place?  Okay, maybe I'm just trying to whore out my one time of being non-dickish...but HEY, I did it.

Either way, a big welcome to all the 1UPers.  Don't piss in the front yard, make sure you wipe your feet before you come in, and hold true to the fact that each and every one of you will eventually get McBitchslapped by MB.  = D
dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13  Edited By dsplayer1010

I still can't believe this happened.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By RHCPfan24
Death_Burnout said:
"HelixSnake said:
i kinda agree"
It was the most active I think I have ever seen it. About 10 or more topics were posted on every time I checked. Still, this is better for organization. I understand.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Hamz
HelixSnake said:
Death_Burnout said:
"i kinda liked the current thread."
Well sorry to disappoint you guys, we don't want to discourage folks from chatting about this topic but neither do we need multiple topics all about the same thing all being bumped to the topic all at once. Its a lot easier to maintain the discussion in one single topic for both us to moderate and for users to chat about than having 4 or 5 topics all in various stages of discussion at the same time. Especially when the majority of them are all saying the same thing.
Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Death_Burnout
RHCPfan24 said:
"Death_Burnout said:
"HelixSnake said:
i kinda agree"
It was the most active I think I have ever seen it. About 10 or more topics were posted on every time I checked. Still, this is better for organization. I understand."
organization...shmorganization.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TwoOneFive

these guys should either start their own site like jeff and the crew did, or join this one. or go off and get gaming jobs. but then their podcasts will be sorely missed. 

mcrproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mcrproductions

Hi...I joined GiantBomb after I heard the Holiday 1up Yours with Gerstman and Shoemaker. Those guys were pretty good...and now it looks like they have me as a permanent resident. As a 3 year 1up loyalist... it feels like I have lost a loved one

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Whisperkill

thanks for the cleanup,

Hey, its a sad day for the video game journalistic industry

this is even more of a bomb (no pun intended) than what happened at gamespot
BananaHammock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By BananaHammock

oops sorry guys didn't see this until after I posted my blog.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ThomasP

Shitty. That sucks. Just found out. I read the older thread and this one. Funny stuff... and yeah, anyone is welcome at Giant Bomb, unless they are douche bags.

HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HelixSnake
Hamz said:
"HelixSnake said:
Death_Burnout said:
Well sorry to disappoint you guys, we don't want to discourage folks from chatting about this topic but neither do we need multiple topics all about the same thing all being bumped to the topic all at once. Its a lot easier to maintain the discussion in one single topic for both us to moderate and for users to chat about than having 4 or 5 topics all in various stages of discussion at the same time. Especially when the majority of them are all saying the same thing."
kk, but I doubt any real discussion would happen here. You should've at the very least kept Jakob's topic open; make it the official thread, and locked the rest.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By brukaoru

Great idea Hamz.

Welcome to all newcomers, hope you enjoy your time here at GiantBomb.

Thoughts go out to all former employees, wish them the best and hope they are able to find new jobs quickly!

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Coltonio7

Fuck life. The new season of Broken Pixels was coming too! D=!

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pause422

The podcasts will be missed big time, but I think its clear they're done for good already...at least in their current format of being what they were. No idea what way everyone who lost their job will go, can only hope they find something they like, and end up somewhere good.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Death_Burnout
Hamz said:
"HelixSnake said:
Death_Burnout said:
Well sorry to disappoint you guys, we don't want to discourage folks from chatting about this topic but neither do we need multiple topics all about the same thing all being bumped to the topic all at once. Its a lot easier to maintain the discussion in one single topic for both us to moderate and for users to chat about than having 4 or 5 topics all in various stages of discussion at the same time. Especially when the majority of them are all saying the same thing."
No i understand fully, the amount of threads was getting ridiculous, to the point where i wanted to punch everyone who started a new one.
Kersal_Massive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kersal_Massive

The one time this Forum has some activity and isnt Dead as Shit.........some one puts an end to that

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#28  Edited By dsplayer1010
TwoOneFive said:
"these guys should either start their own site like jeff and the crew did, or join this one. or go off and get gaming jobs. but then their podcasts will be sorely missed. "
With the ecnomy the way it is, it's going to be  tough to start a new site
buckwatters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By buckwatters

I guess I'm still in a state of shock, it all just seems so sureal.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By turboman
TwoOneFive said:
"these guys should either start their own site like jeff and the crew did, or join this one. or go off and get gaming jobs. but then their podcasts will be sorely missed. "
I think most of the people that have stayed on 1up for this long(Shane), has a passion for journalism, and doesn't want to work for a game developer, plus, the massive layoffs game development has been making recently indicates that its not safe or easy for them to go that route for now
Skrattybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Skrattybones

S'up. Just made a post in the refugee thread, but noticed it had been locked.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrKlorox

Now threads are being closed that have nothing to do with EGM/1UP. Brilliant.

Fyrinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fyrinn

So I'm migrating here from 1UP. That site is basically dead to me without all those people. I'm going to miss the podcasts and the 1UP Show. I just hope those were laid off get new jobs soon.

musdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By musdy

NO MORE PODCASTS!!!

BananaHammock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BananaHammock
Coltonio7 said:
"Fuck life. The new season of Broken Pixels was coming too! D=!"
Fuck I forgot about that. BP made me laugh sooooo hard.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#36  Edited By TobyD81

Hey all, I just joined up. While I was inspired by the recent drama at 1Up, I've also been enjoying the Bombcast on its own merits as well. Anyway, I'm pretty disappointed at the loss right now, and I hope everyone who is leaving 1Up will continue to bring their talents to the gaming community in any way possible.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#37  Edited By LordAndrew
MrKlorox said:
"Now threads are being closed that have nothing to do with EGM/1UP. Brilliant."
All the locked ones I've seen are pretty clearly about the 1UP thing.
Topey327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Topey327

Jeff... when are you going to hire refugees from 1up????

Seriously

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bwooduhs
musdy said:
"NO MORE PODCASTS!!!"
Luckily i've still got the Bombcast.
Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Death_Burnout

all this new blood...blood i tells ya!

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Not_Rage
Hamz said:
"HelixSnake said:
Death_Burnout said:
But why would you lock a thread that already had 100+ posts and start a new one, you should just sticky it. It was the first thread, not a duplicate. Got locked for no reason.
Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Whoa..1UP is gone? I remember back in the day when I read their mags..good times.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jakob187

Wait wait wait....hold up:

1.  People want my thread to stay open?  What the hell is WRONG with you fools?!  Are you TRYING to inflate my fuckin' ego?  Haven't you learned yet that it's a bad idea?  LOL

2.  Organization > activity.  It was getting cluttered as Hell, and there are a LOT of good topics that could be going on that we miss out on because everyone is obviously talking about this.  Therefore, the mods made a smart move as always.  That's why they have the little red banner.

3.  Yes, I know a secret that you guys don't know...or some of you might know...or maybe everyone knows...or maybe no one knows...and especially the new folks coming around would never know anything about.

4.  Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for EVERYONE!!!  And if you don't like PB&J, you aren't human.

5.  Welcome to everyone since the last time I said "welcome".
Skrattybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Skrattybones

Man, this doesn't bode well for my soon-to-be-hard-earned journalism degree. It's looking more and more like people are gonna be struggling just to get freelance work.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheFreeMan

Words cannot fully describe the mix of emotions going through me. I've been reading that magazine for more than a decade, and I've loved the site. It just won't be the same anymore.

Safe to say, I'm pretty pissed.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bwooduhs
Not_Rage said:
"Hamz said:
"HelixSnake said:
Death_Burnout said:
But why would you lock a thread that already had 100+ posts and start a new, you should just sticky it. It was the first thread, not a duplicate. Got locked for no reason."
Gotta agree with that.
HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HelixSnake
Not_Rage said:
"Hamz said:
"HelixSnake said:
Death_Burnout said:
But why would you lock a thread that already had 100+ posts and start a new, you should just sticky it. It was the first thread, not a duplicate. Got locked for no reason."
Assbackwardness.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jakob187
Not_Rage said:
"But why would you lock a thread that already had 100+ posts and start a new, you should just sticky it. It was the first thread, not a duplicate. Got locked for no reason."
Hamz' Jealousy.   = D
And it's my thread...and it got locked for a perfectly good reason:  organization.  So...I approve of the lock.  There, we all happy now?

Don't make me be a dick, guys.  Not today.
Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Death_Burnout
jakob187 said:
"Wait wait wait....hold up:
1.  People want my thread to stay open?  What the hell is WRONG with you fools?!  Are you TRYING to inflate my fuckin' ego?  Haven't you learned yet that it's a bad idea?  LOL

2.  Organization > activity.  It was getting cluttered as Hell, and there are a LOT of good topics that could be going on that we miss out on because everyone is obviously talking about this.  Therefore, the mods made a smart move as always.  That's why they have the little red banner.

3.  Yes, I know a secret that you guys don't know...or some of you might know...or maybe everyone knows...or maybe no one knows...and especially the new folks coming around would never know anything about.

4.  Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for EVERYONE!!!  And if you don't like PB&J, you aren't human.

5.  Welcome to everyone since the last time I said "welcome".
"
No, i haven't learned thats a bad idea, im a bad person :(

Oh and yeah, i agree, that is assbackwards, but mods will be mods.
Topey327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Topey327

UGO is to 1up as Comcast is to TechTV...

/mourn