1UP / EGM - Discuss it here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#151  Edited By Rowr
Buckwatters said:
"JoeDonBaker said:
"This type of culling is an unfortunate necessity in this global economic meltdown.  The site/magazine was OK, but the podcasts were second to none. However, after the major departures last year, and the cancellation of GFW magazine, the writing was on the wall.  Hopefully, they can continue their podcasting in some other manner."
I hope so, I work at night and listened to all their podcasts during the week. :("
Considering 1up yours popularity, im pretty suprised it was cut.
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#152  Edited By Captain_Insano
MB said:
"Captain_Insano said:
"I agree with having just one stickyd topic, but would have liked the first post of the topic to also have included a brief statement about what the fuck happened. I just logged on and had to troll through this thread to get a general idea of what has occured.

I am fairly shocked though having just finished listening to the holiday special that 1up put together with all the other guys. It sucks how companies do things like this, I understand that it is a business strategy but also to do it around/just after the holiday season. It is basically a big 'happy new year guys...NOT!!' from the company and it is just a low act.

New 1up people welcome and know that it you mess around, Captain Insano shows no mercy (though not really)

Cheers"

I went ahead and copied Brad's entire article straight into the end of the first post of this thread.  Thanks."
Appreciate it. High Five!
Crazy_Cow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By Crazy_Cow
finalkross said:
"

GameSpot had their massive layoff before Christmas and now Ziff Davis is now experiencing something similar. We tend to forget that they did file for Bankruptcy protection just over six months ago and it wasn't like it was a booming site, always in third place behind IGN and GameSpot. I think that they probably did offer most of those at 1up similar positions but the fact that UGO is based in NYC did factor into a lot of these people taking severance packaging and calling it a day. In fact, if you read some of their twitter and final 1up blogs, they all aren't too upset. Unlike us who just visit the sites, these people have the experience necessary to move forward in the industry. Hopefully we won't be all working the same crummy job for the rest of our lives and the same goes for them. They'll all land on their feet, either jumping at other companies or following the foot-steps of Giant Bomb and creating their own thing. If they did their job correctly, their names are already on other people's 'we should offer this person a job' list.

Don't blame UGO for this. In America's current economy, mergers are common place and some jobs don't need two people doing the same thing. Celebrate 1up for the good times and let those who worked their know their work was appreciated. Like the rest of us, they'll continue living normal lives, no worries about suicide.

Lastly, for anyone who is Orthodox reading this - Hristos se rodi - Merry Christmas!

"

I have to agree with this sentiment. While it's fun to say "Yeah, fuck UGO!" it's really more of a gut reaction that an actually insight into what's going on. People get laid off all the time, sometimes for legitimate reasons and sometimes not. If you really want to express your discontent, just do some civil disobedience and stop going to the site.
Crazy_Cow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Crazy_Cow
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"pedantics said:
the business end of the panda."
That depends on the panda. It's not like every panda sets up its fax machine on the same body part."
Look who thinks he's clever Dan!
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#155  Edited By Captain_Insano

Also, I forgot to mention

For all the 1up-ers who have come over here, you need to develop a new appreciation for the significance of the Hamburger and all that it entails

Cheers

wetMutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#156  Edited By wetMutt

being a rat which has deserted its proverbial sinking ship of 1up I have to say... this place is shnazzy... pretty interactive community... i am impressed...

fellow 1up refugees as well as vets of GB, feel free to add me if you want...

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By greennoodles

Now I guess I only have to lurk one message board :( very very sad indeed. I am sure all these guys will land on their feet, but its a shame they won't all be heard together. I will miss the podcasts, well, off to download all the retronauts and broken pixels before they are taken down.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Rowr
Crazy_Cow said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"pedantics said:
the business end of the panda."
That depends on the panda. It's not like every panda sets up its fax machine on the same body part."
Look who thinks he's clever Dan!"
Biff is THE clever dan.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#159  Edited By turboman
Captain_Insano said:
"Also, I forgot to mention

For all the 1up-ers who have come over here, you need to develop a new appreciation for the significance of the Hamburger and all that it entails

Cheers"
http://www.giantbomb.com/hamburger/93-9/video-review-cheesy-bacon-chicken-sandwich/35-11818/#25

VIDEO REVIEW!
Skrattybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Skrattybones
luigi8922 said:
"TurboMan said:
"I.......
I Don't Wanna Go To Work Today......
I Wanna Stay Home and Play....
All My Video Games.....

On the 1UP Show.....
"
I got a little teary eye'd."
Ditto. :(
XaiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By XaiaX

Ranting copy/paste from blog entry.

UGO can suck the dried sweat from my ass hair.
UGO can filch recycled chicken tikka masala from Rosie O'Donnel's ass.
UGO can shove Ti tree oil soaked toothpicks under their fingernails and then jam them into a bucket of lime salt.
UGO can gargle the pus from a syphilitic leper's genital warts.
UGO can drown in dumpster full of burning vomit.
BananaHammock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By BananaHammock

the 1up show was part of fridays for me. come home from school happy that its the weekend and watch the latest 1up show. not to mention that the 1up yours intro music was synonomous for the weekend for me.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#163  Edited By jakob187
Buckwatters said:
"Has anyone heard or UGO before the takeover? I haven't, but then again, I visit GB, 1up, and a few others, who are these guys?"
My buddy's old website PSX Nation used to be under their umbrella about 5 or 6 years ago.  They aren't around anymore either.  =  /
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By turboman
BananaHammock said:
"the 1up show was part of fridays for me. come home from school happy that its the weekend and watch the latest 1up show. not to mention that the 1up yours intro music was synonomous for the weekend for me."
MY GOD! NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT, WHO'S GOING TO CONFIRM MY WEEKENDS??
Skrattybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Skrattybones
Class_A_Ninja said:
"Smart idea there, nice work.  Sometimes, I wonder what has happened.  I've just been clicking through the middle of threads for the last hour."
Class_A_Ninja! S'up my Refugee brother!
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#167  Edited By jakob187
greennoodles said:
"Now I guess I only have to lurk one message board :( very very sad indeed. I am sure all these guys will land on their feet, but its a shame they won't all be heard together. I will miss the podcasts, well, off to download all the retronauts and broken pixels before they are taken down."
Dood, you get 700 million pounds of props for rockin' the coolest avatar on the forums.  PERIOD!
*EDIT*  Time for closing duties at work and then on to WoW time...and trying to bang my roommate...piece to everyone, welcome again to all the 1UPers, and remember that tomorrow is a new day.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
jakob187 said:
"greennoodles said:
"Now I guess I only have to lurk one message board :( very very sad indeed. I am sure all these guys will land on their feet, but its a shame they won't all be heard together. I will miss the podcasts, well, off to download all the retronauts and broken pixels before they are taken down."
Dood, you get 700 million pounds of props for rockin' the coolest avatar on the forums.  PERIOD!"

Knowing our dumb mailroom he'll probably end up getting 700 million pounds of prods.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Rowr
XaiaX said:
"Ranting copy/paste from blog entry.
UGO can suck the dried sweat from my ass hair.
UGO can filch recycled chicken tikka masala from Rosie O'Donnel's ass.
UGO can shove Ti tree oil soaked toothpicks under their fingernails and then jam them into a bucket of lime salt.
UGO can gargle the pus from a syphilitic leper's genital warts.
UGO can drown in dumpster full of burning vomit.
"
     BASTARDS!
elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By elbow

Well it looks like the forums will kick in the ass for a few days or so before all the heat dies down again.

Stay tuned for the next publication to go down!

BananaHammock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By BananaHammock
TurboMan said:
"BananaHammock said:
"the 1up show was part of fridays for me. come home from school happy that its the weekend and watch the latest 1up show. not to mention that the 1up yours intro music was synonomous for the weekend for me."
MY GOD! NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT, WHO'S GOING TO CONFIRM MY WEEKENDS??"
no one my friend. no one.
Thirdbeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Thirdbeat

This Sucks huge!!!

Good thing we still have the Bomb Cast now that Yours is gone.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By serbsta

Lol, wow... didnt see this one coming.

wetMutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By wetMutt
TurboMan said:
"BananaHammock said:
MY GOD! NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT, WHO'S GOING TO CONFIRM MY WEEKENDS??"

I DIDNT EVEN THINK ABOUT THAT!!!... this day keeps getting sadder...
greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By greennoodles
jakob187 said:
"greennoodles said:
Dood, you get 700 million pounds of props for rockin' the coolest avatar on the forums.  PERIOD!
*EDIT*  Time for closing duties at work and then on to WoW time...and trying to bang my roommate...piece to everyone, welcome again to all the 1UPers, and remember that tomorrow is a new day.
"

Thanks, that made me smile, wolfmans got nards! Anyways, ya, every saturday I have an 8 1/2 hour overnight shift and i used the 1up podcasts and The Bombcast to get me through it. Now I must serch the depths of the internet for a replacement (for my ears, not my heart). Oh, someone needs to put Tina on another podcast, her voice made my man-parts tickle.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#176  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Coincedence?

Jeff was just on 1UP yours. I think he's to blame.
SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#177  Edited By SpikeDelight

Thanks for locking my thread and redirecting to this, MB. What makes this one more suitable than mine?

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Jeff is the iceberg to the videogame industry's Titanic in that 90% of Jeff is below water and his top speed is .32 mph.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
SpikeDelight said:
"Thanks for locking my thread and redirecting to this, MB. What makes this one more suitable than mine?"

Probably my awesome post about the mailroom accidentally sending out 700 million pounds of prods.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Arkthemaniac
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Jeff is the iceberg to the videogame industry's Titanic."
OMG conspiracy will blow ur mined!
But, let's be honest. A lot of people lost their job today. It's safe to say that UGO is a bunch of soulless dicks with money coming out of their asses. I mean, who fires people in times like this? The balls!
Recession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Recession

Well Still have Giant Bomb

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
Arkthemaniac said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Jeff is the iceberg to the videogame industry's Titanic."
OMG conspiracy will blow ur mined!

That's fine with me so long as it doesn't blow my mime. He doesn't deserve that kind of pleasure, not with his half assed excuse for an invisible box.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By turboman

Sam Kennedy(CEO of 1up) just posted a blog on 1up...

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8977607&publicUserId=4561231

very corporately worded, and he promises content will be same......

....it won't though
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Hard to resist, mate. Hard to resist . . .
Hard to resist, mate. Hard to resist . . .
myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By myke_tuna

Well I'm a "migrant" of the 1UP boards, although I only posted there once or twice. Ever. But then again, I had only recently made an account there. I've had an account here since day 1-2 of GB, but I haven't been very active. I guess I will be now that this site has become my only video game site next to Kotaku (but that's more of a blog anyway). I feel like 1UP has gone from being Friends to Joey. I was never a big fan of Friends, but I'm sure people who were didn't end up watching Joey because no matter how much they like Joey *and in my case, Garnett Lee, Sam Kennedy, Tina Sanchez, etc.* It's just not the same without the rest of the crew *Shane Bettenhausen, Michael Donahoe, Nick Suttner, etc.* Anyway, you should see me here and there once in a while.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

That's not a mime you retard, look at his shirt, those are prison tats.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Arkthemaniac

OMG look at his face!!!!

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
myketuna said:
"Well I'm a "migrant" of the 1UP boards, ."

We call those Mimegrants.

myketuna said:
"I feel like 1UP has gone from being Friends to Joey. I was never a big fan of Friends, but I'm sure people who were didn't end up watching Joey because no matter how much they like Joey *and in my case, Garnett Lee, Sam Kennedy, Tina Sanchez, etc.* It's just not the same without the rest of the crew *Shane Bettenhausen, Michael Donahoe, Nick Suttner, etc.* Anyway, you should see me here and there once in a while."

Agreed. Without David Schwimmer 1up will never be the same.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Biff, you are too much sometimes.

JRoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By JRoo

1UP YOURS UGO

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Another immigrant in Randy Marsh?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#192  Edited By Randolph

EGM was way past it's prime.  That was a mercy kill.

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By greennoodles

Shane claims he had a gig lined up. What would you all do if these guys ended up at GS? I have not gone there since the jeff thing, but it would be hard to stay away. Whats scary is that this isnt impossible.

Agent_Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#194  Edited By Agent_Eli

are you going to relate us 1up migrants to mimes?!
Jeeze, well why don't we just migrate to one of the alternati-

*suddenly reminded that Gamespot and IGN are the alternatives*

you know, maybe we should just stick around here...

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Arkthemaniac

We aren't calling you mimes. I offered to blow Biff's mime and he said he wasn't ready, and then told me that not oly did I not have Biff's mime, but I didn't have a mime at all. It was a prison inmate.

These crazy days we live in . . . welcome to Giant Bomb.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#196  Edited By mike

Here is Chris Radtke's (of UGO) officially unofficial statement....how ironic that he states that 1UP is all about it's personalities, yet most of those personalities were fired...

http://gamesblog.ugo.com/index.php/gamesblog/more/ugo_acquires_1up/

1UP is all about its personalities, and its fans are awesome, passionate and willing to fight to the death over whether Final Fantasy X2 was an abomination or a triumph. It’s an honor to bring that passion into the UGO fold.

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#197  Edited By tokyochicken

GarnettLee to all the awesome tweets for us, thank you more than I can say, and yes, there will be future confirmation of weekends

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By turboman
tokyochicken said:
"
GarnettLee to all the awesome tweets for us, thank you more than I can say, and yes, there will be future confirmation of weekends

"
about to post that, it'll still be crap though without shane
Agent_Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#200  Edited By Agent_Eli

GLEE!
edit: except the Shane part. I will miss him for his shenanigans.