1up losing its way?

Avatar image for weskers_evil_brother
Weskers_evil_brother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Has anyone else felt the 1up/egm reviews have lost there way of late? Its not the just the scores i take issue with, but the content of the reviews themselves. I've really started to find them either overly positive or a

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DualReaver

1UP YOURS!

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Vaxadrin

I've never been a fan of 1up's editorial content.  For me the only draw of that site is GFW Radio & the 1up Show.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Don't really look at 1up, but I do have a sub to EGM so I have something to read on the shitter.

Apart from the whole change to letters thing and the trimming down of number of reviewers on the lesser games I haven't really noticed any big changes in the last few months, in tone or otherwise.

Weskers_evil_brother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1up Yours is one of the best podcasts about, but what about the sites reviews?

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By brukaoru

Overly positive or aggressively negative? Sounds pretty balanced to me. I haven't seen much of a difference myself, but I don't usually read their reviews anyhow.

DualReaver said:

"1UP YOURS!"
Rofl! Nice!
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jayge_

Has 1up ever *had* a way? I always thought it was pretty childish and inflammatory. EGM is pretty horrible, and the website's format annoys the crap out of me.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By duxup

I've never been a big 1UP fan.  There is some good content there, but also some reviews and such that are so out of left field that they're way off the mark.  I stopped reading their reviews regularly after I hit a couple reviews that the dude witting the review straight up should not have been reviewing the game.   If you don't have the proper staff I guess you do what you can but 1UP isn't some tiny site as far as I know.

Weskers_evil_brother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac

The Too Human review was TERRIBLE. I see where you're coming from.

Weskers_evil_brother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely agree, im not saying Too Human is great, but the 1up review was a sham.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By albedos_shadow

1up Yours, 1up FM, and Retronauts are really the only draw for me. Their reviews for every game boil down to "really good" "really bad" or "ok".

normajean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By normajean777

well i like there podcast but the reviews are meh

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AaronBelfast

Too Human review was awful, just awful!

Weskers_evil_brother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Dan

Their podcasts are excellent. Being based in the UK I have access to Edge Magazine if I want editorial content. These days I rarely read reviews, people are much truer to their opinions on podcasts and anything worth its salt has trailers and demos.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Nah, cant say I like 1UP at all, and I couldnt even get into their podcast.

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Subway

I don't know why they were so soft with Braid, it's great, but not perfect.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By godzilla_sushi

It's usually a single reviewers opinion guys, geeze. I don't even know who half those people are. Freelancers?

You'd do well to listen to those podcasts. You can get a sense who might have more of a bias towards one thing or another. Not GFW necessarily. But Shane just sounds like such an RPG Sony guy. That's not a bad thing, and he really knows his stuff. Just an observation. A blatant observation.

Even in the past week, it sounds like some people in the office really enjoyed Too Human, but the guy that reviewed it clearly didn't.

The podcasts are great! Glad to see so many fans like me. Shawn Elliott is brilliant.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jayge_
Godzilla_Sushi said:
"It's usually a single reviewers opinion guys, geeze. I don't even know who half those people are. Freelancers?

You'd do well to listen to those podcasts. You can get a sense who might have more of a bias towards one thing or another. Not GFW necessarily. But Shane just sounds like such an RPG Sony guy. That's not a bad thing, and he really knows his stuff. Just an observation. A blatant observation.

Even in the past week, it sounds like some people in the office really enjoyed Too Human, but the guy that reviewed it clearly didn't.

The podcasts are great! Glad to see so many fans like me. Shawn Elliott is brilliant."
When a website allows things written with the quality of a ranting 17 year old who had failed English since the 7th grade, the entire staff is accountable.
SG_Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SG_Mahonay

I feel like they lean too heavily on having a single person working on reviews.  It never feels like there are any sort of varied experiences with any of the games they review.  I feel like the take one person, put them in a room alone with a game, not letting them ask anyone else how they felt about their time with the game.  Then half of the time they either hate or love the game with no in between.  I mean really love their webshows (since in the webshows they DO have discussions with multiple people about a given game), and I'm really  enjoying their new ratings system, but I do feel like they need to kind of get some sort some consistency with their reviews.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By godzilla_sushi
Jayge said:
"Godzilla_Sushi said:
"It's usually a single reviewers opinion guys, geeze. I don't even know who half those people are. Freelancers?

The podcasts are great! Glad to see so many fans like me. Shawn Elliott is brilliant."
When a website allows things written with the quality of a ranting 17 year old who had failed English since the 7th grade, the entire staff is accountable."

Wow your all over me tonight. ;)

I don't really understand why high profile titles are being reviewed by those folks either. The grade is about what's been the normal around the internet, but as a written review it definitely wasn't that good. I don't think it was a ranting 17 year old, but it was unbalanced!
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jayge_
Godzilla_Sushi said:
"Jayge said:
"Godzilla_Sushi said:

When a website allows things written with the quality of a ranting 17 year old who had failed English since the 7th grade, the entire staff is accountable."

Wow your all over me tonight. ;)

I don't really understand why high profile titles are being reviewed by those folks either. The grade is about what's been the normal around the internet, but as a written review it definitely wasn't that good. I don't think it was a ranting 17 year old, but it was unbalanced!"
The sad thing was, it's Giancarlo, who's been floating around different editorial staffs for at least a decade. Supposedly he's respectable.

And it's nothing personal man ;-) i just find posts and reply to them.
louchegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By louchegamer

1up's strongest content is it's podcasts and videos, that is why they have stopped publishing a few of their magazines.  It seems as if the parent company has realized that print is dead at least in it's physical form like magazines and news papers fewer people are buying them.  1up, Giantbomb, and kotaku are moving towards web based and multimedia content.  This big shift may have cause some unevenness in their written content of late. You can even hear it in some of the podcasts the frustration could be heard in the voices of a few of the people that left.  They even talk about some of the marketing meetings where they are told to use more yellow in covers because it sell better.  Turmoil in the work place could cause a lot of people to lose focus and it would explain the change that you have noticed in the editorial content.

Weskers_evil_brother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not just the Too Human review, did  any one read there Siren review? It was a joke, that games good, very good, but an A?!?! Not on this planet. Its not even the score that bothers me, its the text of the review.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By roofy

i've never really liked there reviews; i usually skip over them.
the only thing EGM and the 1Up podcasts are good for is to keep you preocupied while your doing your business in the morning

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Claude

I've been a subscriber to EGM and GFW, formally CGM, for over 10 years and I don't like the site that much. The videos and podcasts have taken a back seat in my heart. I still go there, because I like knowing what's going on and they might have a big story or whatnot.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jayge_

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/20882

Here's the joke video review for the joke Too Human review. Jeez, this guy just can't get an idea and stick with it can he?

Whoever was playing the in-game footage was just plain terrible. The last parts made me cringe.

Avatar image for galvanizednails
GalvanizedNails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GalvanizedNails

pretty much 1up has excellent podcasts, but for some reason they have an urge to hire massive amounts of freelaners, instead of using their excellent editorial staff. I really didnt get why that guy did the Too Human review, but anyways, 1up Yours in my second favorite podcast next to the Bombcast, and im glad the bombstaff have adopted the awesome what you've been playing segment from 1up yours. That really adds some nice meat to the podcast

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By brukaoru
Jayge said:
"http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/20882

Here's the joke video review for the joke Too Human review. Jeez, this guy just can't get an idea and stick with it can he?"
Well I just read the written review a little bit ago and it was pretty bad... But the video review is bad too, yeesh.
Bansheebot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bansheebot

Does anyone remember the magazine GMR? 

And you think 1up is bad now.  You should have seen it then.

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By calf_exercises

I have never been a big fan of 1up. I used to be all about gamespot until gerstmann gate then I stopped using the site. I stuck with jeff and used IGN for news. Now that giant bomb is here I dont need any other sites.

Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bear

Can anyone explain to me why this review is written so poorly? I thought that his difficulties with the game seemed to be clearly apparent and appropriately justified the score that it was given.

The only weak spot I noticed was the introduction which just jumped right into the review.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jayge_
Bear said:
"Can anyone explain to me why this review is written so poorly? I thought that his difficulties with the game seemed to be clearly apparent and appropriately justified the score that it was given.

The only weak spot I noticed was the introduction which just jumped right into the review."
All you have to do is read 1UP's own comments section to discern that.
Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jordan23
1UP gaming site is one of my favorite sites of gaming and the podcasts are superb too. I don't really worry about any of the game site reviews, I'll judge a game from my very own playtest.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By RedSox8933
DualReaver said:
"1UP YOURS!"
thank GOD this was the first post. but i just read the bionic commando rearmed one and was disappointed cuz one, that game sucks, and they praised the fucking music the most. what the fuck??
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By turboman

1up has Broken Pix3ls

1up wins.

Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By Dan
RedSox8933 said:
"DualReaver said:
"1UP YOURS!"
thank GOD this was the first post. but i just read the bionic commando rearmed one and was disappointed cuz one, that game sucks, and they praised the fucking music the most. what the fuck??"
They probably did that because the game is amazing and the music is fantastic. It happens
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jayge_
TurboMan said:
"1up has Broken Pix3ls

1up wins."
Is that the show with Seanbaby? I gotta say, everyone has to love Seanbaby.
SG_Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SG_Mahonay
TurboMan said:
"1up has Broken Pix3ls

1up wins."
They don't do it nearly enough though.  Once in a blue moon they'll randomly put one up.  I do enjoy them though, it's basically Mystery Science Theater but with shitty games and beer.
WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By WickedCobra03

Personally I loved EGM back in teh day but now that they started changing their magazine format and content I just kind of lost interest. 

For me I love their Podcasts, OLD EGM, Shane, Shoe, Shushi, Donahoe, and Crispin!  But a lot of those editors have left... and even the Mag changed! :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually really like 1UP, their podcast, the show, etc. Don't know what you mean by 'losing their way'...

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By Patchinko
Weskers_evil_brother said:
"Has anyone else felt the 1up/egm reviews have lost there way of late? Its not the just the scores i take issue with, but the content of the reviews themselves. I've really started to find them either overly positive or aggressively negative. I've always been a fan of the site but i've recently started to question them a lot more than i did before."
Let's be honest: Someone's pissy that they panned Too Human.

Dude, everyone is panning that game.

Get over it.
HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HitNRun

1UP is good for news articles, since Gamespot is unusable now and Giantbomb's front page isn't updated frequently or on time, but I've never put any faith in their reviews. They never have any consistency. You get the feeling that the gas the reviewer got from shoveling too many burritos in his mouth beforehand affects his view of the game. I've checked them a few times to see if a badly reviewed game was actually as bad as another source said it was, but that's all they're good for.

It's probably the best place to keep up with daily news that isn't GS or IGN, edges out Kotaku and Joystiq IMO.

blue74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By blue74

lols 1up is just being honest now people stop crying about too human getting Hazed come on its not like every game can be good

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By Vaxadrin
roofy said:
"i've never really liked there reviews; i usually skip over them.
the only thing EGM and the 1Up podcasts are good for is to keep you preocupied while your doing your business in the morning"
Rubbing one out?
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jayge_
blue74 said:
"lols 1up is just being honest now people stop crying about too human getting Hazed come on its not like every game can be good"
Your intelligent rhetoric astounds me.
Weskers_evil_brother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your right.

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By devious742
Jordan23 said:
"1UP gaming site is one of my favorite sites of gaming and the podcasts are superb too. I don't really worry about any of the game site reviews, I'll judge a game from my very own playtest.
"
QFT
"I'll judge a game from my very own playtest"
i happen to feel the same way but then a again some reviews are spot on...
Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50  Edited By Yit

I only like 1up for the podcasts. The reviews are bland.