2009: The Year of the Sleeper Hits

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By SmugDarkLoser

It's partially because they're multiplatform, and partially just because they're flying under the radar.  However, these games are all going to be worth checking out.   How do I know?  Well umm.... look at the devs or prequels.  Hell, just look at the game itself, it looks good me say.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2: Civil War (all platforms)

Admittedly, I like Marvel quite a bit (nothing wrong with that).  Anyway, the first Ultimate Alliance was extremely fun.  In reality, it was just a beat em up, but it was well executed and really played nice.  This time they're throwing in a supposely great story from the civil war comics (never read them, I really only know marvel from the 90s cartoons).  Anyway, this should be good.  Jees, wrote quite a bit for this guy.

Red Faction: Guerilla (Ps3, X360, PC)

Watch the trailers.  Do I need to explain? Honestly? Boom!

Bionic Commando (PS3, X360, PC)

Damn, Capcom is on a streak.  Anyway, they constantly pump out good games, what's there to say?  I do feel like rating wise this will be a "flop".  It'll have a fanbase though.

Dark Void (Ps3, X360, PC)

Capcom.  Seriously.  With past sucess, can't we just assume the next capcom game is going to be good? 

Brutal Legend  (Ps3, X360)

Okay, I know you guys will say that this is hyped and whatnot, but it really isn't.  Individually sure, but those "hyped games of 2009" lists never have this game
Maybe it's just because I really enjoyed Psychonauts and it's rubbing onto this game, but this will be a good game.  I'm really feeling like it'll copy Psychonauts "im basically a cgi movie but an awesome game too!" scheme

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

It's partially because they're multiplatform, and partially just because they're flying under the radar.  However, these games are all going to be worth checking out.   How do I know?  Well umm.... look at the devs or prequels.  Hell, just look at the game itself, it looks good me say.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2: Civil War (all platforms)

Admittedly, I like Marvel quite a bit (nothing wrong with that).  Anyway, the first Ultimate Alliance was extremely fun.  In reality, it was just a beat em up, but it was well executed and really played nice.  This time they're throwing in a supposely great story from the civil war comics (never read them, I really only know marvel from the 90s cartoons).  Anyway, this should be good.  Jees, wrote quite a bit for this guy.

Red Faction: Guerilla (Ps3, X360, PC)

Watch the trailers.  Do I need to explain? Honestly? Boom!

Bionic Commando (PS3, X360, PC)

Damn, Capcom is on a streak.  Anyway, they constantly pump out good games, what's there to say?  I do feel like rating wise this will be a "flop".  It'll have a fanbase though.

Dark Void (Ps3, X360, PC)

Capcom.  Seriously.  With past sucess, can't we just assume the next capcom game is going to be good? 

Brutal Legend  (Ps3, X360)

Okay, I know you guys will say that this is hyped and whatnot, but it really isn't.  Individually sure, but those "hyped games of 2009" lists never have this game
Maybe it's just because I really enjoyed Psychonauts and it's rubbing onto this game, but this will be a good game.  I'm really feeling like it'll copy Psychonauts "im basically a cgi movie but an awesome game too!" scheme

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Captain_Fookup

How are these sleeper hits? all of these games are being published by big companies.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Captain_Fookup said:
"How are these sleeper hits? all of these games are being published by big companies."
Sleeper hit means a game not many people are hyping/aniticipating that ends up being great.

It has nothing to do with the size of the company. 
How many people would say they're anticipating one of these games crazily? 
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Snipzor

It's only been four months of 2009, we cannot judge what a sleeper hit is until they come out.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Captain_Fookup
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Captain_Fookup said:
"How are these sleeper hits? all of these games are being published by big companies."
Sleeper hit means a game not many people are hyping/aniticipating that ends up being great.It has nothing to do with the size of the company.  How many people would say they're anticipating one of these games crazily?  "
To make a "Sleeper Hits of 2008" thread now would make sense when backed up with proof of unit sales for all platforms of said games. Rather than a thread about games that haven't even been released yet.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Snipzor said:
"It's only been four months of 2009, we cannot judge what a sleeper hit is until they come out."
not really.   you sort of can.  it doesn't have to look meh before it. 
once the large scale notices it it stops being able to be a sleeper hit
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By StarFoxA

Most of those games are very anticipated titles. They aren't sleeper hits.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jayge_

Red Faction and Brutal Legend both have a pretty huge hype machine driving them at this point. Marvel Ultimate Alliance one was pretty underrated (in my opinion), although it sold pretty well due to bundles and being out on literally every platform. As for Dark Void and Bionic Commando, there's a reason that there isn't much hype behind those.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shadows_kill

dude you forgot the real sleeper hit of the year

Borderlands

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Jayge_
shadows_kill said:
"dude you forgot the real sleeper hit of the year

Borderlands
"
FUCK.

YES.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

oh shit, definately.  So sleeping I didn't even remember it!

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shadows_kill
Jayge said:
"shadows_kill said:
"dude you forgot the real sleeper hit of the year

Borderlands
"
FUCK.

YES.
"
SmugDarkLoser said:
"oh shit, definately.  So sleeping I didn't even remember it!"
been keeping a VERY close eye on it since it was in gameinformer. to bad theres only 3 gameplay vids and 1 trailer tho :(
Superchris129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Superchris129

I'd looooove to get these games right know so I could play them, because I've obviously missed their release...

Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Bear

I am very much anticipating Brutal Legend; can't say the same for the other games, though.

This is a pretty good list. I really don't know much more than the names of most of these titles.

Is Borderlands the game with like 2 million guns, or is that Darksiders?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

Brutal Legend... live long and prosper, be a good one, and there will be Brutal Legend 2.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By ZombiePie
Claude said:
"Brutal Legend... live long and prosper, be a good one, and there will be Brutal Legend 2."
But people also have buy Brutal Legend first....
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

Borderlands and Red Faction will be great.

Isn't there a game called "Rage" that looked pretty sweet?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By ZombiePie
lilburtonboy7489 said:
"Borderlands and Red Faction will be great. Isn't there a game called "Rage" that looked pretty sweet?"
Rage has been delayed and won't be released this year.
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

:(

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Red

Here's the thing: these aren't sleeper hits. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 was just formally announced, so there hasn't been time for hype. Bionic Commando is a revitalization to a very, VERY beloved game, and I can't think of anyone that isn't hyped for Dark Void. I guess you could get away with Brutal Legend and Red Faction: Geurilla 2, but after the whole "write about this crappy, crappy trailer" fiasco has completely stopped RF's hype train here. That leaves you with Brutal Legend; a Tim Schafer game...need I say more?

There's one more thing: none of these games have been released yet, and --last I checked-- you cannot properly anticipate a sleeper hit. 
With all those things in mind, Comic Book Guy can make his judgement.

Never saw it coming.
Never saw it coming.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By FCKSNAP

Poor choice of a title, you could've gone with "2009's Sleeper hits-in-the-making" or  "Why 2009 might be the year of the sleeper hits". But then again you're writing a forum post and not an article, and also your current title probably got you more "hits". Continue on my brotha.