• 155 results
#1 Edited by Winternet (8002 posts) -

Hey duders! What's up? So, that's that time of the year, huh. I personally can't wait for the Giant Bomb GOTY discussions and deliberations to start. It's always a high point for me on the video games calendar, as I assume it is for many of you.

The GB podcasts for Game of the Year are always great, but there's always a time that comes out during the show that you think to yourself "man, it would be great if they had said something about this game here" or "it would be great if they focused more on this part of this game" or "I believe this game should have been at least mentioned on this category". It's with these thoughts in mind, which I believe have come up at least once for everyone during these occasions, that I came up with the idea to create this thread (I've wanted to do it for a while, but never had the time to do it).

Wait, what is this about?

The purpose is for the community to gather their opinions and then hopefully pass them through to the crew.

Note: This is not about us telling them what we think should win GOTY or any other category. It's not about a bunch of people going "Halo 4 is GOTY" or "XCOM is GOTY" and so on. This is about stimulating discussion about certain games/categories that we feel need to be addressed. It's also not about super obscure games that 10 people in the world know about their existence.

And how does this work?

It's very simple. Just name the game(s), category(s) and a small commentary explaining your opinion. I'll add them here (if they're not stupid, not in a good way) and then I'll make sure the crew gets hold of it. (actually, I can't promise that, so I'll just say I'll try my best). If the game and opinion you were thinking about is already on the list, make sure to name it as well, since the more people are backing up a game the stronger that opinion gets. You may also been thinking about a game or a particularity about said game, but you don't know in which category that would fall in or you don't really care where that game comes up during discussions, as long it's mentioned, you can bring that idea forth as well. Everything goes (almost everything).

I'll give an example. I think Asura's Wrath is a game worth being discussed. I'm not really sure in which category it should appear (even if in the main one), but I think it's worth a bit of focus from the crew. At the time of the release, the opinions tossed around by them would end up inevitably in "well, but for 60 dollars . . ". I would like them to now take that game in consideration without that idea in mind.

Another example (this one a bit more unreasonable). I did not like that last year "The Binding Of Isaac" was brushed aside from the discussions. So, I say that it should be considered for the "2012's 2011 Game Of The Year" category. Yeah, it only got an expansion, but it was so good and it lengthen the game by so much.

Well, I think I've said all I needed to say. I hope you guys like the idea and participate. I also am not naive. I know the chances of this having an actual impact on the GOTY deliberations are very slim (but how awesome would it be if it did?), so I encourage we also take this thread to discuss between us the ideas that are tossed around in here.

Happy discussions!

The List

Video GameCategory(s)CommentUser(s)
Asura's Wrath
  • Game Of The Year
  • Best Graphics
  • "The discussion around the game should now take place without the "it costs 60 dollars" aspect that was part of the discussions at the time of the release."
  • "I can't really explain, I just really liked him."
  • "They did a really job at giving Asura a backstory which helped players understand both his personality and his hatred and anger"
  • "I think I'd like to see Asura's Wrath jokingly nominated in every category."
  • "This game is beautiful, very unique. The characters look like they were carved out of stone. The scope and scale really make the visuals stand out."
  • "Asura's Wrath just oozes with style. From the unique character designs to the sheer beautiful scale of the set pieces, Asura's Wrath takes the cake when it comes to graphics."
@Winternet

@YI_Orange
@handsomeb
@Jackhole
@GTCknight
@deathfury
@InfiniteGeass
The Binding Of Isaac
  • 2012's 2011 Game Of The Year
  • "The Wrath of the Lamb expansion gave a new breath to this game and extended it's longevity immensely."
  • " Wrath of the Lamb adds so much content it might as well could be a sequel."
@Winternet
@Ghostiet
Binary Domain
  • Best Character (Cain)
  • "A polite, very dry, very witty robot who is also a FRENCH JAMES BOND."
  • "Big Bo isn't the best thing about the game, Cain is"
@Cheesebob
@GunstarRed

Journey
  • Best Multiplayer
  • Best Music
  • "The way the game handles multiplayer is in a way revolutionary, getting people to work together regardless of their personalities. This aspect should not be overlooked."
  • "It's incredibly well scored and ties into the emotional experience of playing the game extremely well. (...) no game used music to heighten the game's atmosphere like Journey."
  • "The music is on the level of a film score. And finally, the multiplayer is both brilliant and daring."
@Master_Funk

@Atlas

Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • Best/Most/Funniest Writting/Voice Acting
  • "I want to say Kid Icarus for something"
Persona 4 Arena
  • Best Soundtrack
  • "The music is largely original and all around great. (...) it's almost criminal not to acknowledge it's music."
  • "Labrys is given a deep backstory that really helps you understand why the events of Persona 4 Arena happen. (...) she does have a great personality and accent."
@YI_Orange

@InfiniteGeass
Borderlands 2
  • "(...) I think Handsome Jack is an incredibly effective villain. (...) he's someone I genuinely hated by the end of that game. "
Adera
  • Worst Voice Acting
  • " It's an adventure game, and the main character has the single worse voice acting I've ever heard."
  • "Laughably bad, even for a free game."
@Chavtheworld
@TopCat88
Darksiders II
  • Most Disappointing Game
  • "(...) the game was a huge sales disappointment for the studio. I know this category is usually about design and gameplay, but I just thought I'd introduce a different spin on an established category"
  • "Darksiders II is a great game until you finish the first act, because the devs desperately needed to add 5 hours of gameplay at the cost of completely ruining the pacing."
@Atlas

@Ghostiet
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • "(...) the implementation of Steam Workshop, which made modding the game easier and more accessible than it had ever been. And in a game that for some is as dependent on mods as an Elder Scrolls game, that's a huge positive."
@Atlas

Need For Speed: Most Wanted
  • Best "Big Ass Ramp" Game
  • "Massive weight and inertia simulation is (...) what makes driving and jumping its cars so rewarding."
  • Best Trend of 2012 (Consequential/Impactful Decision-Making in a Linear Story)
Sid Meier's Civilization V
  • 2012's 2010 Game Of The Year
  • "With Gods and Kings, Civ 5 got expanded to a point of absurdity."
  • "Vanilla Civ 5 was truly awesome; with G&K, it's even better."
  • "This category is so silly, that it has to exist. And CIV V is the perfect game for it."
@ThePickle
@Atlas
@Winternet
Battlefield 3
  • "There's been a lot of extra content; 3 map packs this year counting Aftermath, Premium Content (Assignments, Double XP events), Private Servers. (...) I'd just like to see it in the discussion."
  • "The DLC packs have made it all even better, especially Armored Kill."
@handsomeb

Dark Souls
  • "had the PC release as well as the awesome Artorias of the Abyss DLC. Amazingly well designed game with a thriving community."
  • "the PC version did a lot for the game and its fanbase, and the DLC was just great. I spent as much time with it this year on PC as I did on release for 360"
@YOU_DIED
@TobbRobb

Assassins's Creed III
  • "Few games make me identify more with one of the antagonists than the main character, also Haytham is Bond but with knives."
  • "Great performance on a technical level - there's no needless inflection, narm or overacting. His rant to Achilles about sitting on his ass is definitely his finest moment."
@adam1808

@Ghostiet
The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings
  • "The Enhanced Edition, the 360 release, there's no reason or excuse to not play this game right now."
@Ghostiet

Max Payne 3
  • "What makes Max Payne as a character (...) It's McCaffrey's jaded, tired delivery - his voice might have changed a little bit, but the spirit's the same."
  • "The soundtrack by Health just fit the mood and style of the game perfectly. The music has stuck with me long after I beat the game."
@Ghostiet
@deathfury
@bibamatt

Spec Ops: The Line
  • Game Of The Year
  • Best Story
  • "An average shooter with nothing special going on at the gameplay front. But still, by the end of the game, it left a mark like few other games have in recent years."
  • "Not only did it turn the whole shooter genre and violent games on their head, it also created character progression directly through gameplay as Captain Walker's demeanor and barking became more psychotic."
  • "The way Spec Ops deconstructs the shooter genre is fantastic. Both the subtle touches and big events throughout the game make it the most memorable story this year."
  • "(...) North delivers animalistic shouts later on that will chill you to the bone. It's a varied performance, and possibly his best to date."
  • "Captain Martin Walker starts out as the generic, well-meaning squad leader who then after a traumatic event starts to lose all rational thinking. No longer is his goal to save the civilians out of Dubai, but to focus on someone to pin all his blame to. During combat, no longer are his melee kills fast but drawn-out and more brutal, almost as if he's getting satisfaction. His battle chatter becomes animalistic and psychotic, and by the end Walker is a broken, irredeemable man. He's no longer the protagonist."
@Winternet
@AssInAss
@Ghostiet

@Chumm
@Village_Guy
@deathfury

Sleeping Dogs
  • Most Surprising Game
  • "cancelled by Activision and picked up by Square Enix it has great characters fun missions beautiful graphics (...) But the biggest reason is the combat in the game"
  • "Crafting an open world game isn't easy and it's the best one since Red Dead Redemption."
@JEC03

Hitman: Absolution
  • Best Character/Villain (Dexter)
  • " really sleezy and awful and delivered with real relish by the actor."
Soulcalibur V
  • Best Multiplayer
  • "Being able to play, on decent American internet, against people on different continents is a feat in and of itself, not to mention the blast that the game is to play in any of its multiplayer modes at any skill level. It's quite amazing that you could literally use the netplay as a way to learn the game from a legitimately competitive standpoint."
Starhawk
  • Best Multiplayer
  • "a game that combined the meaty feel of Red Faction Guerilla with seamless RTS elements and great vehicles. (...) the mp is where it really shines"
Krater
  • Best Music
  • "The best part of the game. Atmospheric and beautiful. The best 80's inspired music of this year came months before Hotline Miami"
Rhythm Heaven Fever
  • Game Of The Year
  • Best Graphics (Artistic)
  • Best Music
  • "The fact that it came out very early in the year and in a dying console that was later this year replaced for a new one should not prevent Rhythm Heaven Fever from being among the best games that this year had to offer"
  • "the visuals are striking, the music catchy and the games challenging"
@Winternet

@Gaff
The Last Story
  • Best Music
  • "Uematsu is here, I don't think it needs explaining that the music is excellent. Very emotional and beautiful."
SSX
  • Best Music
  • " They made some fantastic song choices that complemented the feel of the game super well. (...) a lot of the included tracks were so good that they ended up in my collection"
Hell Yeah! Wrath Of The Dead Rabbit
  • Best Music
  • "I found myself consistently going back to Hell Yeah! just to listen to the music everywhere. Whether it was the awesome boss battle tunes, the menu music particularly the shop music, or even the variety of beats they provide during levels (...) all the music at least when it is played during the game fits in terms of tone setting and style."
Wargame: European Escalation
  • "It manages to use realistic scenarios, units, and concepts really well while blending them into a compelling real-time strategy game. (...) it puts all this into a scale that is unlike anything else in the current genre - the maps are huge. Not only can it do all this, but remains pretty accessible, and it has fantastic visuals."
Fez
  • Most Surprising Game
  • "No one knew what that game was really about. Solving that game with the internet was just unreal. What a cool, unique experience."
Dishonored
  • Worst Ending
  • "Dishonored has a flaccid, underwhelming finale that really flies in the face of what made the rest of the game good."

Botanicula
  • Best Graphics (Artistic)
  • "From the creators of Machinarium, comes yet another great point n click adventure game. Both share the clever puzzles, but for me, while Machinarium excelled in the audio department, Botanicula finest moments are in the visuals department. Beautiful, weird, vibrant, adorable, all at the same time makes Botanicula the most striking looking game of the year."
#2 Posted by Cheesebob (1231 posts) -

Binary Domain: Best Character, Caine. He is a polite, very dry, very witty robot who is also a FRENCH JAMES BOND.

#3 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Hotline Miami - Best Music

#4 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

The Walking Dead - Best story, Best Characters, GOTY.

#5 Posted by BeachThunder (11686 posts) -

Character - Clem

#6 Posted by Brad (2873 posts) -

@Cheesebob said:

Binary Domain: Best Character, Caine. He is a polite, very dry, very witty robot who is also a FRENCH JAMES BOND.

I really have to put some time into that as soon as possible.

Staff
#7 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Best 'Big Ass Ramps' game. Need for Speed Most Wanted.

#8 Posted by Master_Funk (728 posts) -

Journey - Best Downloadable Game , Best Multiplayer, GOTY

The way the game handles multiplayer is in a way revolutionary, getting people to work together regardless of their personalities. This aspect should not be overlooked.

#9 Posted by GunstarRed (5020 posts) -

I think Asura's Wrath will be discussed at some point, it seems too crazy for them not to. And I totally agree for Isaac, the only problem is that in order to get a real appreciation of that game you need to have played it over and over and figure out all of its little tricks and quirks. Something I seriously doubt any of the staff has time to do.

Binary Domain is a game more of them should have played, Big Bo isn't the best thing about the game, Cain is, so he should at least get a best character nomination.

I want to say Kid Icarus for something. Funniest writing? Best most voice acting at all times? Best hand cramp?

#10 Edited by YI_Orange (1128 posts) -

Best Soundtrack - Persona 4 Arena

The music is largely original and all around great. If I had to pick one sample, it would be this:

It wasn't my favorite song at first, but once it grew on me, it's god damn amazing(I once had it on repeat for like 6 hours straight while I did a bunch of work). I expect this game to not get much recognition at all during the GOTY deliberations(which isn't entirely unreasonable), but it's almost criminal not to acknowledge it's music.

Best New Character - This is a tough category for me. The only ones that really spring to mind are Asura and Handsome Jack. The Walking Dead characters are great, but they really need each other to work. Asura...I can't really explain, I just really liked him. Handsome Jack is an asshole. The dude is a villain, pure and simple, and that's pretty rare I feel. His lines can be really hit or miss, but he's someone I genuinely hated by the end of that game. As silly as Borderlands 2 is, I think Handsome Jack is an incredibly effective villain.

That's all I've got for now, I may have more later.

Edit - I need to play Binary Domain

#11 Posted by Vitor (2809 posts) -

@Cheesebob said:

Oh my God YES. You beat me to it. Character you'd most want to party with? Big Bo in the house!

Well, I would also put the game up for best Japanese game of this year and also best TPS but I know my opinion isn't widely shared in that regard.

#12 Posted by Hewitt (63 posts) -

Mark of the ninja - best debut?

That game really surprised me. Their newest game "Don't Starve" is an interesting, albeit derivative, outing, too.

#13 Posted by Cheesebob (1231 posts) -

@Brad: If you can actually discuss it with other members of the crew then you totally should. It reminds me of Spec Ops: The Line. Mechanically not that interesting, but the characters and the story make up for it a hell of a lot.

#14 Posted by Rasmoss (430 posts) -

Super Hexagon - An example of masterful game design, something that is increasingly rare these days.

#15 Edited by Bollard (5242 posts) -

@Kyreo said:

I really hope that doesn't win best music, but it probably will :( FEZ is a fantastic nominee for that category.

Downloadable list this year is really strong: FEZ, Journey, Dust An Elysian Tail (is amazing or so I've heard) and some more I've forgotten. Those three are genuine GOTY contenders.

I just don't want FEZ to be forgotten. FEZ!

--------

Oh yeah, as far as actual suggestions for the Bomb crew to check out, I recommend Adera on Windows 8/Microsoft Surface for worst voice acting. It's an adventure game, and the main character has the single worse voice acting I've ever heard.

#16 Edited by Atlas (2429 posts) -

Journey - Best Music

I know that Hotline Miami is the frontrunner right now, but let's remember that games released later in the year naturally earn a bias in GOTY voting, but also that Hotline Miami's soundtrack is not bespoke for the game, but curated. Journey has an entirely original score, and it is perfect: it adds a magical and ethereal atmosphere of a game that is already magical. It's incredibly well scored and ties into the emotional experience of playing the game extremely well. I know that Journey is a very atypical gaming experience, but no game used music to heighten the game's atmosphere like Journey.

Darksiders 2 - Most Disappointing Game

Full disclosure: I own Darksiders 2, but I haven't played it. And I'm not basing this on Patrick describing the game as "profoundly disappointing" on a recent Bombcast. But Darksiders 2 was positioned as the game that was going to save THQ, and considering THQ's currently financial situation, the game was a huge sales disappointment for the studio. I know this category is usually about design and gameplay, but I just thought I'd introduce a different spin on an established category.

I think Diablo III and Mass Effect 3 will probably be included in this category, which I think is wrong. Expectations for ME3 were out of control and quite negative before the game even launched, and Diablo III received too many glowing reviews at release to be considered more disappointing than Darksiders 2 or Resident Evil 6.

Skyrim - 2012's 2011 Game of the Year

Pretty bad category this year, but Skyrim gets the nod because of the implementation of Steam Workshop, which made modding the game easier and more accessible than it had ever been. And in a game that for some is as dependent on mods as an Elder Scrolls game, that's a huge positive.

Mark of the Ninja - Best Download-Only Game

Journey has a retail version and The Walking Dead is getting one soon. Nuff said.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Best Remake or HD Update

Can we count this game as a remake, since it's more of a modernised adaptation based more on a genre than on a game or handful of games? Would be interested in opinions on the subject.

Crusader Kings II - Game of the Year

Fuck you guys.

EDIT: My original post had Journey listed as Best Download-Only game, but I was not aware that Journey did in fact have a retail version. Thanks to for the correction.

#17 Posted by ESREVER (2666 posts) -

@Seppli said:

Trackmania 2 came out this year too, by the way.

#18 Edited by Rasmoss (430 posts) -

@ESREVER said:

@Seppli said:

Are you sure? I could swear it was part of last year's discussions.

#19 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

@awesomeusername: As I said in the thread, the idea is to come up with games/opinions that we feel wouldn't take the proper attention or just to raise some awareness to a specificity of a game. The Walking Dead, I guarantee you, is already a lock for GOTY award discussions, as well as story award discussions. So it wouldn't be much useful to have it on the list, at least for those categories. Also, a small explanation behind the choices is appreciated :)

@Master_Funk: Kinda what I said for Walking Dead. Raising awareness for Journey for best Downloadable Only Game seems kinda pointless. Although I think for the Multiplayer category (which is not so much of a given) is important, so that will be on the list ;)

#20 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@Brad said:

@Cheesebob said:

I really have to put some time into that as soon as possible.

you should, it's not really that long anyway (8 hours or so)

#21 Posted by BeachThunder (11686 posts) -

@Atlas said:

Journey - Best Download-Only Game

The Walking Dead will be made available at retail. Nuff said.

#22 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Rasmoss said:

@ESREVER said:

@Seppli said:

Regardless, anything has more meaning with weighty simulation. Hence Vanilla GTA IV had the best driving physics in GTA history. Massive weight and inertia simulation is why many dislike Most Wanted too. It's what makes driving and jumping its cars so rewarding.

I've not played Trackmania 2, but I assume from what I've played of Trackmania 1, it's more like driving toy matchbox cars, rather barreling down roads with tonnes of of weight accellerated to deathly speed. Anything less than driving a cannonball is just not my kind of speed.

#23 Posted by ESREVER (2666 posts) -

@Rasmoss said:

@ESREVER said:

@Seppli said:

Actually, you might be right. It hasn't felt that long though... Hmm, well, nevermind then!

#24 Posted by Atlas (2429 posts) -

@BeachThunder: Well..that's pretty embarrassing. I stand corrected.

Guess it's gotta be Mark of the Ninja then.

#25 Posted by Jagged85 (128 posts) -
#26 Posted by Spike_Kojima (56 posts) -

Game of the Year - Asura's Wrath

Walking Dead , Hotline Miami , Dragons dogmas. Give them some awards too..... Its been a strange year for me.

#27 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

Best game that isn't really a game: The Walking Dead. GOTY: Mark of the Ninja.

#28 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Spike_Kojima said:

Game of the Year - Asura's Wrath

I'll follow anyone who shares this opinion! That game was soooooo good.

#29 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Kyreo said:

I really hope that doesn't win best music, but it probably will :( FEZ is a fantastic nominee for that category.

Downloadable list this year is really strong: FEZ, Journey, Dust An Elysian Tail (is amazing or so I've heard) and some more I've forgotten. Those three are genuine GOTY contenders.

I just don't want FEZ to be forgotten. FEZ!

--------

Oh yeah, as far as actual suggestions for the Bomb crew to check out, I recommend Adera on Windows 8/Microsoft Surface for worst voice acting. It's an adventure game, and the main character has the single worse voice acting I've ever heard.

FEZ will win an award, I'm sure. As will Journey... but I don't think it will be music. Though the music in Journey was amazing.

#30 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

Category Name: Best Trend of the Year/2012 - Year of the *blank*

Winner: Consequential/Impactful Decision-Making in a Linear Story

Reason: It's been one of the most interesting parts of 2012, and has popped up time and time again (Spec Ops: The Line, The Walking Dead, Black Ops II apparently). It's something that deserves recognition. The only problem is that I can't figure out what would be other nominees, apart from perhaps 'Bow'.

#31 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@Winternet: Oops, sorry. That wall of text was staring at me hard so I just skipped it. I'm pretty sure everyone else will be doing the same thing I did though.

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (14559 posts) -

Well, I don't think anyone is going to bother to listen to me at all but hey... I'll bite. I've got my top 10 list locked and at the top of that list is the very first game I played this year Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Its my GOTY and honestly I don't expect many people to follow suit in agreeing with me but I played the absolute shit out of this game and when I tell you I played the absolute shit out of this game I was unemployed the entire month of January meaning between job hunting this is ALL I had to do. I just really for some reason love the world squarenix built in the XIII universe. FFXIII-2 featured one of the best Villains that has ever been featured in a Final Fantasy game Caius Ballad. A tortured soul who is forced to lose someone he loves over and over in perpetuity through time. He isn't written off as a cackling maniac and for that his humanity comes in to play. A man who would end time itself to cease his pain. On the combat end things have been tightened up as well. They fixed annoyances like getting a game over upon the death of the leader and also make things like switching between paradigms faster and more fluid. Although you only ever get two characters in your party the 3rd is always filled by a monster who you can groom. With careful preparation monster building can be an obsession if you want to maximize potential. Upgrading monsters with specific items at specific times and then even fusing that monster with another is key to success. Tougher battles require pin point precision timing of paradigm shifting with timing so precise at times it almost feels like a rhythm game. And although FFXIII I think looks slightly better its still a damn stunning looking game. I don't think this will persuade anyone to my cause but I have an extreme admiration for this game.

#33 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

2012's 2010 Game of the Year: Civilization V. With Gods and Kings, Civ 5 got expanded to a point of absurdity.

#34 Posted by Atlas (2429 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

2012's 2010 Game of the Year: Civilization V. With Gods and Kings, Civ 5 got expanded to a point of absurdity.

This. A billion times this. I put at least 200 hours into Civ 5 since the release of G&K, and it really helped the game achieve the true potential it always had. Vanilla Civ 5 was truly awesome; with G&K, it's even better.

#35 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Borderlands 2 sure it's not a huge amout different than the first one, but that's just a testament to how great the borderlands formula is. Plus the two dlcs so far have been very funny and very enjoyible.

#36 Edited by Cubidog1 (214 posts) -

Best Downloadable Game: Fez. Great gameplay, music, graphics, and was just a really fun game. 2011's 2012 GotY: Minecraft. A bunch of free updates made me keep playing, keeping Minecraft as my favorite game of all time.

#37 Posted by Modedude (36 posts) -

I imagine Fez and Hotline Miami are likely to come up, since those games seemed to have been called out on the Bombcast for having good music. The Walking Dead is very likely going to be talked about as we all know much some of them like that game. Maybe some of the other titles that were well received on the website. Mark of the Ninja is sure to come up as that is an astounding downloadable title that manages to do stealth justice without feeling horrible.

#38 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

First of all, I don't want the guys to take community opinion into consideration for GOTY deliberation. It's not American Idol.

However, here's my brief two cents: GOTY: The Walking Dead, for its remarkable achievement in storytelling in a video game.

#39 Posted by NegativeCero (2975 posts) -

I would say Dust: An Elysian Tale has to be in the running for Best Downloadable game, though probably not the winner. I would also say that it should be up for Best Artistic Graphics, or whatever that award was called.

#40 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2990 posts) -

Diablo 3, because if it were released a month ago it would be the only choice, a game massive with content, design and replay value.

#41 Posted by golguin (3842 posts) -

Asura's Wrath: Craziest boss fights and cutscenes. Best use of pressing buttons to BURST.

#42 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

It seems a little unfair to compare Hotline Miami's largely compiled soundtrack against one's that were composed specifically for a game.

#43 Edited by Grimmy616 (397 posts) -

GAME OF THE YEAR/Best Download-Only Game: Trials Evolution. This game is the Uncharted 2 of the Trials franchise whereas before these games only took place in a warehouse and in a rare occasion in a different location or dreamstate Trials Evolution built an entire island for you to ride in. The levels are creative, the scenery is great and the gameplay is tight. On top of that the game has THE BEST level design tool I have ever seen. People are making survivor horror games in this game where you normally just ride motorcycles in! So there is just endless amounts of replay value in this game. So yeah, Trials Evolution. Catch it.

#44 Posted by handsomeb (68 posts) -

Best Download Only Game - Fez, Mark of the Ninja, Journey & The Walking Dead will surely get a lot of attention here, but I'd like to see Trials Evolution get some time as well. Yes, the soundtrack is rubbish, but the rest of the game is solid. I thought it was interesting that, as the game progressed, it slowly morphed from a racing game to a ridiculously difficult platformer. Chasing the all of the Platinum Medals would make for an excellent Breaking Brad segment.

2012's 2011 GOTY - I've got to go with Battlefield 3 because it's the game I spent the most time with this year. There's been a lot of extra content; 3 map packs this year counting Aftermath, Premium Content (Assignments, Double XP events), Private Servers. I know it probably won't win it, I'd just like to see it in the discussion.

Best Use of QTE's - Asura's Wrath

Best Sword Fight - Asura's Wrath

Best Game Where Your Arms Are Ripped Off More Than Once - Asura's Wrath

I think I'd like to see Asura's Wrath jokingly nominated in every category.

I'd also like to suggest a Year of the Bow category to celebrate the year's best implementation of archery, but I'm having trouble coming up with a list. I know there is one in BF3's Aftermath, and one in AC3. I guess you can count the 2012 Olympic Game, but I'm afraid most of the one's we saw at E3 won't be out until next year. Are there any I am overlooking?

#45 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

"Longest Sword" Asura's Wrath.

#46 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

Journey: GOTY

Journey successfully takes advantage of what makes games a unique medium better than any other game this year: the interactive mechanics. It tells an abstract version of the classic "Hero's Journey" with very little use of narrative techniques from other forms of media. It instead makes you feel and understand things through only the gameplay mechanics. Aspects of human nature are explored in the ways you interact with another person through no traditional means of communication. Any prejudice or preconceptions are stripped away, and your personality is laid bare through your actions alone. I felt a deeper connection to my anonymous, faceless partner than I have ever felt to any character or player in a game. Journey provides you with an experience that cannot be recreated in any other medium. No other game this year can make that claim. If games are to grow as an artistic medium, we need games like Journey that stand solely on the merits and strengths of the things that make them unique. to other forms of expression.

#47 Posted by Hailinel (23846 posts) -

@Jagged85 said:

Best Role-Playing Game - Xenoblade Chronicles (technically 2012 release in North America)

This man speaks the truth. No other RPG this year comes close.

#48 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

@awesomeusername: No biggie :) And it wasn't that much a wall of a text. I put headers and stuff to make it more appealing.

#49 Posted by Jackhole (357 posts) -

Asura's Wrath: Best Graphics, This game is beautiful, very unique. The characters look like they were carved out of stone. The scope and scale really make the visuals stand out.

#50 Posted by Bocam (3670 posts) -

Best Vita Game Of The Year - Persona 4: Golden

I was going to say Virtue's Last Reward but then I remembered it came out on the 3DS.

Persona 4: Golden is the best looking and playing Persona game yet. And if you don't have a Vita yet, this is probably the best (only) reason yet to get one.