• 121 results
#1 Posted by insanejedi (655 posts) -

2012 the year of the disappointing squeals?

-Mass Effect 3: I'm not one of those people who totally hated the ending of ME3, but even then the internet totally ruined my enjoyment of this game. Still it has to be up there for a disappointing game of 2012.

-Max Payne 3: Fails to live up to the original 2 games

-Serious Sam 3: Fails to live up to the original 2 games

-Burnout Crash: A failed spin off of a beloved franchise

-Need For Speed Most Wanted: A failed spiritual successor to Burnout Paradise from Criterion (How the hell do you mess up Cops?)

-Street Fighter x Tekken: Totally broken online on launch

-Ninja Gaiden 3: A bad game proving Auteur Theory in games as this is the first game after the director left.

-Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City: A totally disastrous spin off that literally looks like it was made on a PS2 SDK.

-Diablo 3: Debatable but I don't think it's living up to Diablo 2: LOD at the moment in terms of player base or quality of game.

-Resident Evil 6: Oh dear... I can't remember a squeal to a AAA franchise failing this badly.

Any highlights this year?

-Forza Horizon: I love that this game is doing what sim games should be doing, which is fueling that driving fantasy that is not possible no matter how much money you have. It gives you the experience to realistically drive some really cool exotic cars on public roads with traffic and no consequence for going 150 miles over the speed limit.

-Dust an Elysian Tail: So this game was literally made by one guy Dean Dodrill and a small hired team of musicians and voice actors. All the programming, art, and story is all done by Dean. This game is beautiful with fantastic attention to detail, and great animation. What was surprising was that the story and voice acting is exceptional as well for an indie game. Unfortunately this game got hit hard for it's use of the Furry art style by the internet. That really sucks because when I finished it, I literally couldn't find fault in this game. This game has better talent and writing than games that have several magnitudes higher of budget and cost 4 times as much.

So Two games, I still have to get Halo 4 in the mail and play Assassins Creed 3 but this year seems pretty underwhelming overall. Any of you guys played anything impressive this year?

#2 Posted by EXTomar (4508 posts) -

Meh, sequels come with baggage. It is true that there were a lot of sequels this year I am not entirely sure that is to blame for disappointment someone is feeling about the industry on the whole. As mentioned in other posts, getting games such as Journey and Spec-Ops: The Line shows there are still a lot of creativity and balls in the industry.

#3 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3800 posts) -

XCOM, Mark of the Ninja, FTL, Journey, Halo 4, Dust, Spec-Ops, POSSIBLY CoD but that's still not a for sure, I think this year's been pretty good at least for me.

#4 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Games like Journey, Spec Ops, Asura's Wrath, Katawa Shoujo, Persona 4 Arena, Persona 4 Golden and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward make 2012 far from a disappointment for me.

#5 Posted by believer258 (11672 posts) -

Mark of the Ninja? Dishonored? X-Com? And I don't really remember Max Payne 3 having a bad reception, though I didn't pay much attention to it. Also remember that Far Cry 3 isn't out yet and no one quite seems to know what to make of that boob-punching, shark-grabbing, hallucinogenic game full of insane people.

Yes, this year seems less than impressive, but look at the juggernauts we had last year. It seems like a lot of the usual AAA stuff is in development for next year or the next now.

#6 Posted by insanejedi (655 posts) -

@EXTomar said:

Meh, sequels come with baggage. It is true that there were a lot of sequels this year I am not entirely sure that is to blame for disappointment someone is feeling about the industry on the whole. As mentioned in other posts, getting games such as Journey and Spec-Ops: The Line shows there are still a lot of creativity and balls in the industry.

Well if you look at 04 and 07 they also had a lot of squeals.

04:

-San Andreas

-HL2

-Halo 2

-Metal Gear Solid 3

-UT2K4

07 is also the same just replace a lot of those games with "3"

Both were still banner years for video games, and most of them lived up or exceeded expectations.

#7 Posted by Chaser324 (6335 posts) -

There have been a lot of very good games, but I do agree in a sense because there hasn't been any game that's really distinguished itself as being far better than anything else and deserving of a spot at the top of the list.

Moderator Online
#8 Posted by AlexW00d (6189 posts) -

Eh most years are a disappointment if all you look for are triple A titles.

#9 Posted by insanejedi (655 posts) -

Spec-Ops sure is getting a lot of retrospective attention. Maybe I should look into that. X-Com was very good too. Okay it might not be as bad as I thought, but definitely not a great year.

#10 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I agree that this year has not been stellar for games. Granted there are a couple I want to play still. There are of course standouts but that last several years have had more I think at least.

#11 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

Xcom

FTL

Hotline Miami

Mark of the ninja

FEZ

Turns out a lot of the biggest releases I could think of were released in 2011, like saints row 3 and skyrim. I think this year is the rise of the indie game and return of rogue-likes.

#12 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4602 posts) -

I'd say there were some disappointments this year, but no more than any other. I think what took people by surprise is where those disappointments came from.

#13 Posted by Aetheldod (3514 posts) -

Im sorry but Persona 4 arena is an awesome game , Journey is an awesome game , The witcher 2 for xbox is an amasing game ... also the Dark Souls dlc is awesome ... Xcom etc. You are wrong buddy

#14 Posted by EXTomar (4508 posts) -

Sequel baggage isn't good or bad but it is weight. The original post laments that this year sucks but I am trying to point out they seem to be more disappointed with franchises than games in general.

And that reminds me about something that keeps coming up on this style of topic: Now is always the best time to play video games. That isn't to say there wasn't fun stuff in the past but looking back and lamenting mistakes for this year while ignoring the mistakes that were made in previous years is just rose tinting.

#15 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

XCOM, Mark of the Ninja, FTL, Journey, Halo 4, Dust, Spec-Ops, POSSIBLY CoD but that's still not a for sure, I think this year's been pretty good at least for me.

@FluxWaveZ said:

Games like Journey, Spec Ops, Asura's Wrath, Katawa Shoujo, Persona 4 Arena, Persona 4 Golden and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward make 2012 far from a disappointment for me.

I'd throw in Dishonored and The Walking Dead, too. Argument seems a little trite, as there are always gems amongs the, usually pretty mediocre, general output.

Hotline Miami has generated a lot of positive buzz.

Darksiders 2 was also very good, if a little drawn out.

#16 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -

TOKYO JUNGLE BITCHESSSSSSS!!!!!

#17 Posted by DeF (4809 posts) -

It's completely premature to say anything of the like when games like Hitman Absolution, New Super Mario Bros U, ZombiU, Far Cry 3, Paper Mario Sticker Star, Disney Epic Mickey 2: Power of Two/Power of Illusion, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Black Ops 2, Crashmo, and a few others are not even out yet.

#18 Posted by Worcanna (90 posts) -

A LOT of personal opinion in this thread. Wow. Um. There was a LOT of good new games this year. Dishonored, XCom's return, Tokyo Jungle are just some. >.> It was a really good year!

#19 Edited by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I played somewhat less video games then I usually do this year but from the reaction on the internet seems like people were disappointed by a lot of the big titles, that could be the internet just being the internet though.

#20 Posted by StarvingGamer (8028 posts) -

I've been having a blast, there were a ton of amazing games in 2012. Then again I'm not one of those people on the internet determined to be angry about everything.

#21 Posted by BaneFireLord (2913 posts) -

I dunno...if Far Cry 3 ends up being as good as it looks, this year will completely redeem itself.

#22 Posted by gaminghooligan (1424 posts) -

this was a great year for the downloadable game: Walking Dead, Journey, Unfinished Swan, and the remastered Spelunky. On the PC you had gems like Crusader Kings 2, Pid, FTL, Hotline Miami. Also don't forget Dishonored, Sniper Elite V2, and Borderlands 2.

#23 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

QFT.

Its the indie underdogs (FTL, Hotline Miami, Journey) and little-engine-that-could bigger budget games (Spec Ops: The Line, really I guess) that have really shown through this year, despite the wave of iterative sequels.

@FluxWaveZ said:

Katawa Shoujo

Holy crap, that out this year, didn't it? Sorry Spec Ops, you're not my favorite game of the year this time.

#24 Posted by GunstarRed (5041 posts) -

I have a top ten that suggests otherwise.

#25 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@insanejedi: I think many of the games you've mentioned are sequels that have had weird development histories or they aren't in the hands series creators that made them good in the first place. No one making RE right now has the vision of what those games needed to e like Mikami. Imagine what MGS3 would be if Kojima didn't work on it.

Also you are completely ignoring the smaller $10-$15 indie titles. Journey, Hotline miami, FTL, FEZ, Those games are something else.

#26 Posted by Phatmac (5722 posts) -

It wasn't as great as last year, but I still like this year overall.

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (14578 posts) -

Hey, like...speak for yourself man. I've enjoyed a ton of stuff this year. Final Fantasy XIII-2 , Dragon's Dogma , Max Payne 3, Binary Domain , Sleeping Dogs , X-Com , Dead or Alive 5. And I could go on....

#28 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2960 posts) -

Couldn't disagree more, just don't think you're looking at the right games. That's a very big-budget, console-centric list you have, and in that playing field I dare anyone to pick out one year in the last 8 that really stuck out more than any other.

#29 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -

Max Payne 3, CS: GO, Sleeping Dogs, Torchlight 2 are awesome games, dunno what you're talking about.

#30 Posted by Sauson (560 posts) -

No one has mentioned this yet which is a shame, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is fantastic.

#31 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

XCom was the first game in a long time I had pure fun while playing it so that makes this year better then any in recent memory.

#32 Edited by AlexW00d (6189 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@AlexW00d said:

QFT.

Its the indie underdogs (FTL, Hotline Miami, Journey) and little-engine-that-could bigger budget games (Spec Ops: The Line, really I guess) that have really shown through this year, despite the wave of iterative sequels.

@FluxWaveZ said:

Katawa Shoujo

Holy crap, that out this year, didn't it? Sorry Spec Ops, you're not my favorite game of the year this time.

Spec Ops was poo man. The game I would say is the unknown bigger budget game (of the year) is probably Wargame: European Escalation.

#33 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@rebgav:

I think part of it is just the nature of this hardware cycle coming to a close. A lot of development teams have likely moved on to other hardware.

On the plus side, I think this has resulted in a wider variety in the games that are good.

#34 Posted by Hunkulese (2652 posts) -

This year has been just as good as any other. You list 04 and 07 as great years but there were a lot more quality games released in 2012 and there are still some major releases on the way.

#35 Posted by Salarn (463 posts) -

Every year in video games is better than the last.

#36 Posted by Video_Game_King (36068 posts) -

Fuck that shit. I'd say this year was my best year for video games. So much cool shit.

#37 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Many great games, but many disappointments too. None which I could 100% say THESE WERE THE GREATEST, but the big triple A titles (Mass Effect, AC) weren't amazing. The true amazing expereinces came from less obvious places, which I feel is better.

#38 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

I've had a good time his year, I went in excited for a small amount of games. But I was surprised multiple times borough out the year at how good some games turned out to be. Sleeping Dogs, Journey, Max Payne 3 all of them really good. Sure last year had more games, but as a person who has more money than time, I'm fine with a smaller selection of games to play.

#39 Edited by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

There are a ton of totally great games in 2012. But you'd probably be okay in saying that very few of them were unadulterated masterpieces, a la Red Dead Redemption or Metal Gear Solid 3, where their successes lay far beyond their parted merits.

And, as far as I'm concerned, the handful of releases that were approaching immaculate just aren't the most exciting concept in the world to begin with; it's sort of the eternal reason the Mona Lisa is probably the most famous painting in the world and also nobody's favorite. There's nothing that can be pointed to as specifically frustrating about it other than the fact that it's a really great painting of a woman in front of a landscape, while Raphael painted the School of Athens seven-or-eight years later and Bosch was probably already working on the Garden of Earthly Delights.

I'd argue the same would be arguable for this year's more "flawless" games. I can't point to any real issue with Journey except for the fact that it's almost barely a game, and the part where you play it rarely affects the emotion of the game. The only other games I can think of in that regard are XCOM and Hotline Miami. One is an analysis of video game murder in a year with several games about the analysis of video game murder. The other is a reboot of XCOM. Cool?

I think I've made it pretty apparent that I'm a massive, massive fan of Fez, and that game might also be a masterpiece. But few people agree with me, so I'd say it's definitely not an "unadulterated" masterpiece. It's one obfuscated in the weirdo brain of Phil Fish. I've been piecing my way through that one for months, but there's still so much more to figure out. I adore that title, and you should really, really try it if you haven't.

#40 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Katawa Shoujo

I'm always dumbfounded when people say stuff like this about Katawa Shoujo, it's such a bleh VN.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose!

#41 Edited by laserbolts (5314 posts) -

Witcher 2 Xbox edition, dishonored, trials evolution, mark of the ninja, dust, max payne 3, the walking dead, mass effect 3 and diablo 3 were all great games IMO. I think this year has been pretty great. Still haven't played halo 4 and I believe that new hitman game is coming out which looks pretty good. Black ops 2 may end up being pretty awesome as well. Imagine if all those games didn't get delayed. This could have been one of the best years ever for gaming. Oh and I haven't played hotline Miami yet but apparently it's pretty amazing.

#42 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

I feel like Dishonored was the only AAA title worthy of GotY this year. Aside from Dishonored, I don't think any AAA title should win any awards. I was actually talking to a friend of mine a couple months ago before Dishonored came out and saying that out of all the games that came out this year, I honestly thought Black Mesa of all games was the best. Which is sad because it's a remake of a 14 ear old game using the engine of an 8 year old game...

Lots of good indie games though.

#43 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

XCOM is the best game this year.

#44 Posted by Mystyr_E (1189 posts) -

I don't think it was a bad year, I just think it was a good year for the big AAA titles. Remember last year?

Batman? Portal 2? Skyrim? Dark Souls? Zelda? Uncharted 3? SR3? Not only were they awesome but they actually sold quite well.

This year? well most of the big AAA titles have been either great but not as awesome as we wanted or totally mediocre. In fact most of what everyone's been playing the most are the "smaller" stuff: Journey, Persona 4 Arena, Dishonored, X-Com, Torchlight 2, Dragon's Dogma, Asura's Wrath, and Sleeping Dogs.

#45 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

I would say that this year was the Year of Indie Games and Kick-Starter Games~ We will have to see the fruit bear in 2013; all good things in time.

I think you might need a change of pace like I did. Try out different genre instead of sequels. You will surprise what you might find.

#46 Posted by yoshisaur (2665 posts) -

I got the following games that I had a blast playing:

• Mass Effect 3 (Say what you will, it was a fantastic game)
  • Halo 4
  • X-COM: Enemy Unknown
  • Diablo III
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Borderlands 2

Also,

@StarvingGamer said:

I've been having a blast, there were a ton of amazing games in 2012. Then again I'm not one of those people on the internet determined to be angry about everything.

#47 Posted by Animasta (14649 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Ravenlight said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Katawa Shoujo

I'm always dumbfounded when people say stuff like this about Katawa Shoujo, it's such a bleh VN.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose!

honestly the other "big" western made VN'[s were much better (Cinders and Analogue).

Also Binary Domain, Crusader Kings 2 alone are both games I'll keep in my memory for a long time (BD because it's magical, CK2 because I have 255 hours in that game). Plus Hotline Miami, P4A, Devil Survivor 2, FF13-2... pretty good year (not as good as 2010 but still)

#48 Posted by Scrawnto (2434 posts) -

There are more good games that have come out this year than I have time to play. As far as I'm concerned, that makes it a good year for games.

#49 Posted by Raven10 (1734 posts) -

I wasn't a huge fan of this year so far, at least as far as AAA titles are concerned. I need to play some more indie stuff like FTL, Dust, Mark of the Ninja, and Hotline Miami. Journey is so far my game of the year. I guess it really depends on what types of games you like. Also, Sony didn't really put out any excellent games besides Journey which takes a bit of a toll since they usually put out some of the best games of the year. And Nintendo has really been saving up for the Wii U so very little has come out from them besides a handful of decent 3DS games. I would say it has been a slow year. There have been fewer boxed releases total this year than any other year this generation, so the failures I think hit heavier than usual because there wasn't as much to pick up the slack.

#50 Edited by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

Nope , not very great year at all . FEZ and ME3 were the highlights for me . All the great games seem to be indie games , which is awesome

I still needa finish/play Dust , Mark of the Ninja , and few other games that aren't out yet ..