2013's Most Overrated Game

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Edited By sammo21

Poll 2013's Most Overrated Game (1423 votes)

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag 3%
Bioshock: Infinite 13%
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 13%
Divekick 7%
DOTA 2 12%
Gone Home 17%
The Last of Us 10%
Papers, Please 3%
Rogue Legacy 4%
Wind Jammers 5%
Other... 14%

So, while we're celebrating bad games and great games I was curious was the community felt was the game that got more positive press than they feel it maybe deserved? This thread isn't supposed to be a "I hated x person's pick!" but more of a culmination of talks about a game over the year. Keep this in mind, "most overrated" does not mean the game is bad in all cases. For example, I really liked Red Dead Redemption when it came out but because of an atrocious pacing, broken multiplayer, and hyperbole from everyone on both sides I thought it was that years most overrated game.

Keep the discussion civil, of course.

My choice for this year is Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. On its own, I thought the game was OK but then the talk about it being the best of year started and I couldn't really wrap my brain around it. I found the controls to be a tad laborious, the story entirely predictable, and the score/visuals were kind of a bore. Either way, congratulations to Starbreeze for making a game so many people liked this year.

• 
dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

I know my answer. I wonder what the poll will say.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

This thread is going be an infuriating mess.

I abstain from voting.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By crithon

if it's got people talking then it's done it's job

tkalsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By tkalsey

Windjammers. Once someone describe it as pong with powers it lost all of it's magic for me.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Easy, The Last of Us.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Having gone back to GTA 5 this week, I don't know why people were as enthusiastic about that game as they were. Open-world games really have moved on from GTA 4 and Rockstar modernised just enough of that formula to make me sad. It could have been so much more.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Windjammers (also Brothers). You're also crazy to think Red Dead Redemption is overrated, but whatever.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Vextroid

Brothers. I saw nothing special about that game.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowconqueror: One word: Mexico :D Game falls apart the second you step foot on Mexican soil.

@adam1808: I didn't think about adding it to the list because I completely forgot about it :D Yeah, I think GTA has a lot of problems.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EVO

Bioshock. Three stars at best.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Tyrrael

The Last of Us. I'm not just saying this because it's popular, either. The story was terrible, and that's the main reason I wanted to play it. I can tolerate a bad story if the gameplay is amazing, but I normally don't force myself to suffer through bad gameplay just for a good story. All in all, it seems that if the half of the game that is praised the most is horrendous, I'd say that constitutes being overrated, especially since most people seem to agree that the gameplay was the weaker of the two, even if it wasn't flat out abysmal. I can already tell I've pissed some people off, even though that wasn't my intention. Oh well. Bring the hate, if that's what you feel you need to do.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Gone Home.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyrrael: eh, I loved the story and even most of the game play. If people hate on you for thinking otherwise then they need to be taken out for a seafood dinner and never called again. :D

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I hate when all right games get way too hyped and then mercilessly dismissed for being overrated. At the end of it all, I stand at the same place I started, still thinking it's all right. C'est la vie.

My answer is Brothers. I really liked the game, but it was definitely overhyped.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TruthTellah

Wow, this thread is just built for angry argument. Perhaps that's indeed not your intent, but I've seen enough threads like this over the years to know this is a curiosity that shouldn't be appeased.

The idea of people ranking the most "overrated" games serves little purpose besides sowing greater fan discord during this already contentious time of people debating GOTY.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sammo21

@truthtellah: Coming from a person on website whose staff talked loads of hot mess about some games many of them didn't even play? I think we can all keep this civil. If for some reason it doesn't get that way then that's what mods are for. If we can only praise games then we really can't have any meaningful discussion at all, right?

Hoboassassin54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Papers, please

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By tourgen

Hate on Last of Us all you want (I know I do) but it's at least an alright story, great art work, and the shooting stuff works. Even has good online.

Gone Home though. Wow. I think I will enjoy it when people see that game in a more realistic context about 1-2 years from now. Oh wait. No one will remember Gone Home in 6 months.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

@truthtellah: Coming from a person on website whose staff talked loads of hot mess about some games many of them didn't even play? I think we can all keep this civil. If for some reason it doesn't get that way then that's what mods are for. If we can only lavish games then we really can't have any meaningful discussion at all, right?

I'm a person on Giant Bomb, and speaking purely from many years on this particular site, you're crazy if you think this is a good idea. A little devil sat on your shoulder and whispered to you that this was a decent poll idea.

I'm sure some people can keep it civil; of that I have no doubt. But a thread purely about crapping on games that many people like(aka. talking about how "overrated" some games are) is inherently ill-advised.

A thread about discussing issues with popular games is one thing, and people discuss the merits and problems of games all the time. But a thread at the end of the year where the central point is voting on which popular game is the least deserving of that popularity is at its core bitter and based more on differences in personal preference than any actual determination of quality.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the story in Gone Home, but yeah it's overrated what ever that means.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The Last of Us

How it came to be regarded as anything but decent 3rd person shooter with a slightly above average story is beyond me.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Brothers. The rapid-fire way they doled out fantasy tropes made the entire game feel more like an amusement park than an actual world. Once I reached it the end, it became clear that the entire game was built to deliver one admittedly clever moment. The cynicism of design that I felt drained any sort of emotional weight from the experience.

Also the fact that a bugged out, untextured model of the bird showed up and stayed on screen for the entire tree sequence sort of pulled me out of what probably should have been a very sad scene. I ended up having to drag the brother's body through the bird in order to bury him.

No Caption Provided

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's all fun and games until someone talks shit about Fire Emblem: Awakening.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: A thread about discussing issues with popular games is one thing, and people discuss the merits and problems of games all the time. But a thread at the end of the year where the central point is voting on which popular game is the least deserving of that popularity is at its core bitter and based more on differences in personal preference than any actual determination of quality.

That paragraph shows you've missed the point of the thread entirely.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Definitely Divekick. I appreciated that they wanted to try something different and I liked the footprints-on-punching-bag joke, but that's pretty much the entirety of my positivity about that game.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I would have said The Last of Us a couple weeks ago, but I finally got out of Boston and its really fantastic, it may not be the most original story, but the delivery really carries it far for me. I would say that Brothers is the most overrated game on that list for me personally.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By InternetDotCom

Every single game that was released

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By development

Rogue Legacy, bar none. That game doesn't do anything special, and it doesn't look special to boot. It's totally generic, and a lot of its mechanics are aggressively bad (upside-down mode? Come on. A maximum of 6 choices out of a random flock of characters, resulting in flocks of characters that are practically useless in comparison to the ones you want/specced for? Fuck that). Generic music, generic tilesets, generic enemies, generic story... generic game.

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Gone Home. Interesting presentation but I was more interested in the dads writing career than a girl who likes Street Fighter.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#30  Edited By TheMasterDS

Brothers. Now that I've played it I feel more confident than ever saying there are at least 20 games better than brothers is year. I said that before of course but now I have first hand experience.

Edit: Oh shit, forgot about GTAV since it didn't get any love his year. At release that game was not given enough shit for its vile personality. I also think the music wasn't very good, Saints Row IV music way better.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioshock: Infinite. I really disliked playing that game, but kept going for the promise of a good story, but that ended up just being a lame twist ending that undermined everything I had suffered through. I don't think I have ever gone against the "popular oppinion" of a game as much as I did with Infinite.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I just bought Divekick. Granted, I'm not playing multiplayer. But from the single player it was neat for about 10 minutes. I don't see how it is on anyone's list for GOTY but whatever. Opinions.

cocabis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gone home. I was super excited about it and kept waiting and waiting for something to happen. I mean I wasnt expecting monsters to pop out, the ending was neat but...thats kinda it...neat...alright...ok. Was glad I received it as a gift when it was 5 dollars. 20 buck is so overpriced. There wasn't anything that I hated about it but it just felt....meh...it was an interesting way to tell a story but maybe the story was old. Still much more entertaining that spec ops the line. Everybody was going crazy about that game but the gameplay was sooo boring (but thats how its supposed to be!) just for the same twist at the end.

I like windjammers because I played it when I was a kid a lot so it was awesome that they rediscovered it, but I agree that it got boring to watch pretty fast, except maybe the last minutes of the 24 hours stream, that was intense.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TruthTellah

@sammo21 said:

@truthtellah: A thread about discussing issues with popular games is one thing, and people discuss the merits and problems of games all the time. But a thread at the end of the year where the central point is voting on which popular game is the least deserving of that popularity is at its core bitter and based more on differences in personal preference than any actual determination of quality.

That paragraph shows you've missed the point of the thread entirely.

I'd say it's a difference of opinion on how people determine whether or not a game is "overrated" rather than missing the point of the thread.

I think dwelling on whether a game is overrated is generally rooted in someone having different taste but not fully recognizing or respecting the validity of other people's personal preferences. I don't know what value the concept of "overrated" has in this context besides providing an opportunity for people to gripe about games other people like. Usually this just comes down to "what are the most highly-rated and/or buzzed about games".

If you want to explain the possible benefits of dwelling on what is or isn't overrated, I would be curious to hear it, but I don't see it. It usually just appears to encourage the worst in gamers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

GTA V is my most overrated followed by Gone Home.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

GTA V

icybankz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last of us... What i heard about this game made me expect more than what it gave me.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's easily Brothers for me. It is neither a good game nor a good story. I can accept games where one is bad in favor of the other, but I found pretty much no redeeming qualities in Brothers.

@truthtellah: Honestly, you're the only one in this thread causing a fuss so far.

valeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Gone Home - in saying that; I still enjoyed it but can see how others don't. It's still important in the context of how games are made, these days - with mechanics at the forefront and the story not given too much thought.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TruthTellah

@ajamafalous: heh. Well, I hope you're right, ajam. Even if it doesn't necessarily devolve super quickly, I'm still curious what people think is the value of dwelling on the idea of some games being "overrated".

I don't see the appeal outside of possibly feeling good that you have better taste than a lot of people that like a game. It seems to me that a thread like this is more of a "popular games that you don't personally care for" thread than anything to do with games actually being rated too highly by anyone.

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioshock can't possibly be overrated since apparently everyone thinks it sucks and I'm a bad person for liking it.

LikeaMetaphor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brothers. The rapid-fire way they doled out fantasy tropes made the entire game feel more like an amusement park than an actual world. Once I reached it the end, it became clear that the entire game was built to deliver one admittedly clever moment. The cynicism of design that I felt drained any sort of emotional weight from the experience.

Also the fact that a bugged out, untextured model of the bird showed up and stayed on screen for the entire tree sequence sort of pulled me out of what probably should have been a very sad scene. I ended up having to drag the brother's body through the bird in order to bury him.

No Caption Provided

I didn't have that egregious of a bug - at least not one during that moment - but I had enough minor bugs that I assumed the "Whoa bro the controls!" moment was just yet another glitch. But I definitely agree: didn't find much of it to be interesting or unique outside of one moment.

I preferred it when Big Bro literally flew through a Goddamn mountain and died for me. That was cooler.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#43  Edited By BeachThunder

@starvinggamer said:

No Caption Provided

I didn't have that egregious of a bug - at least not one during that moment - but I had enough minor bugs that I assumed the "Whoa bro the controls!" moment was just yet another glitch. But I definitely agree: didn't find much of it to be interesting or unique outside of one moment.

I preferred it when Big Bro literally flew through a Goddamn mountain and died for me. That was cooler.

I had this happen:

No Caption Provided

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kerse said:

I would have said The Last of Us a couple weeks ago, but I finally got out of Boston and its really fantastic, it may not be the most original story, but the delivery really carries it far for me. I would say that Brothers is the most overrated game on that list for me personally.

So, I have tried to play The Last of Us for a couple of days now (bought it on black Friday). I like everything about it but, like Jeff I cannot stand the gameplay at all. I will be clear on this I'am playing on hard and have passed bill's area. I find the shooting to be horrible (how many shots will it take to kill this unarmored human whom I'm shooting in the face one, two and maybe three). The friendly AI makes me want to use them as zombie bait. Ex: I was sneaking around some zombies in Bill's town when on numerous occasions Ellie would get in front of me and then just stay there in my way or, when I tried to use my shiv (I have issue with those things breaking all the time too) on a clicker without being noticed Bill took it as the go ahead signal to just start shooting at everything around him.

Every time I get into an area with enemies I just look down and breath out a sigh. All of this bums me out because, I want to enjoy the game but, the part where I have to play the dammed thing just begins to piss me off.

And as for Brothers; I just could never care for it at all. Watched the quick look and it was to easy for me to tell what kind of story it want tell. The type I just have zero care for.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By sammo21

@gtcknight: Why are you playing on hard the first time through? I've found most games don't hold up on hard (or higher) difficulties.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't care less.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed Gone Home, I think it's great but much like Breaking Bad something can be totally great and still over hyped/rated.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's super dumb to try to tell people they liked a game too much.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramone said:

I think it's super dumb to try to tell people they liked a game too much.

yep.

it's as if you not being able to understand something is a sign that thing is not meant to be understood, rather than a sign you should really just try a little bit harder to understand it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as what game that a lot of other people liked did I not like as much goes, that'd probably be Rogue Legacy. It's fun, the controls are tight, having progression in something roguelike-like is cool, but it's nothing particularly special.