2013's Most Overrated Game

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Edited By sammo21

Poll 2013's Most Overrated Game (1423 votes)

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag 3%
Bioshock: Infinite 13%
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 13%
Divekick 7%
DOTA 2 12%
Gone Home 17%
The Last of Us 10%
Papers, Please 3%
Rogue Legacy 4%
Wind Jammers 5%
Other... 14%

So, while we're celebrating bad games and great games I was curious was the community felt was the game that got more positive press than they feel it maybe deserved? This thread isn't supposed to be a "I hated x person's pick!" but more of a culmination of talks about a game over the year. Keep this in mind, "most overrated" does not mean the game is bad in all cases. For example, I really liked Red Dead Redemption when it came out but because of an atrocious pacing, broken multiplayer, and hyperbole from everyone on both sides I thought it was that years most overrated game.

Keep the discussion civil, of course.

My choice for this year is Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. On its own, I thought the game was OK but then the talk about it being the best of year started and I couldn't really wrap my brain around it. I found the controls to be a tad laborious, the story entirely predictable, and the score/visuals were kind of a bore. Either way, congratulations to Starbreeze for making a game so many people liked this year.

• 
thebarrylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I thought Gone Home was very sweet with a killer soundtrack and leading voice-over performance, but I was pretty stumped by the 10s and 9.5s. The praise for GTA V baffled me also because it just felt like a bigger, shinier version of the same game I've been playing since '01.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Haha it's amazing that Gone Home is winning this. The only right answer is Infinite.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There aren't 10 more over hyped games then brothers :P

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA every year.

I don't know what magic Rockstar has, but when a GTA game comes out it's a race for all the outlets to give it 10/10 scores. The scores rarely vary, merely the speeds with which the reviews appear.

GTA V is a good game. A very good game. But it's no more a 10/10 than GTA IV was.

It's really time for this nonsense to end. It makes reviews of GTA games useless for the reader if they all just are perfect scores every time regardless of merit.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the point where GTAV started lazily mocking the FPS genre for being repetitive and boring (a fair enough assertion), during the fifteenth mission where I had to drive from place to place doing *nothing,* I knew it was time to admit I didn't like GTA at all.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

Definitely bioshock IMO. When a game feels like such a slog that I very nearly quit around the middle... Sorry but that's a deal breaker for me.

Avatar image for noctisluciscaelum
NoctisLucisCaelum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

DOTA2, because I play LOL :D

But seriously, It's another MOBA, It's just a highly polished Warcraft 3 Mod if you want to get reductive about it. Then again just about all MOBAs can be reduced down to that original Warcraft 3 Mod, LOL included.

Also GTAV, Still have no interest in playing it, I was put off more with the online, and my most of my friend's complete lack of interest. Maybe I just don't like any GTA after Vice City.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Unilad

I actually go a little fed up with Patricks CONSTANT celebration of 'Papers,please!'. Like seriously, it came off as him sounding arrogantly superior towards the rest of the crew. The game is boring. I don't care for the argument that the boredom was not only intended but was the main point of playing it. Christ, I work hard during the day and come home to play FUN games to relax.

So yeah, 'Papers, please!' was super overrated.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unilad said:

I actually go a little fed up with Patricks CONSTANT celebration of 'Papers,please!'. Like seriously, it came off as him sounding arrogantly superior towards the rest of the crew. The game is boring. I don't care for the argument that the boredom was not only intended but was the main point of playing it. Christ, I work hard during the day and come home to play FUN games to relax.

So yeah, 'Papers, please!' was super overrated.

Almost as if people could possibly looking for different things in games, and therefore judge on different metrics!

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

I'm not sure how Assassin's Creed 4 can be considered overrated. There wasn't s a lot of excitement going in and most of the positive conversation surrounding the title centred on how it was a good recovering from AC: Revelations and AC3. That said, my vote was for "Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons". It's a good game, not nearly anywhere as spectacular as suggested.

Grither_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised OP didn't put GTA-V as an option as it is totally worthy of scrutiny. The biggest thing, to me, why it was 2013's most overrated game was because it was totally oversold to the general mainstream playing public just like how EA gives Madden a new paint job & unnecessary button schema changes and touts the game as "the best one ever!". To me there was nothing new about GTA-V other than the fact that it was prettier and had some new toys to play with (albiet they took some away from the prior series as well). Just another two and a half dozen hours for me to immerse myself into whenever I felt like killing my boss or kicking the neighbor's dog that won't quit barking. Worst of all almost every time I was at a game store the past six months I had to listen to twelve year old boys whining to their mommies to buy GTA for them, and they did despite the droning spiel of the store employee who by company policy was required to inform the mother that the game contains strippers, violent death, and excessive use of the "F" word.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think GTA V is the most overrated game of last year. GTA games never have a lasting appeal for me, I play them and complete the game to a point where I don't feel interested anymore.. and then never play them again.

In fact, if somebody talks to me about GTA V now I'm surprised and I think "wow, it's been a long time since I've thought about that game!" It's odd to think it's only been out for around 3 months, feels longer than that.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#213  Edited By LackingSaint

For me it's easily between Gone Home and Brothers. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the things about those games that resonate with people, and to a point i'm with ya, I just don't feel like those aspects were as well-done as most would believe. Brothers felt outrageously predictable and the world bored me to tears, while Gone Home's main story... I dunno, just wasn't very interesting? It's a lovely message, but it didn't really go anywhere I hadn't seen teenage romance stories go thousands of times before. The fact that both of those games got solid spots on GB's GOTY list without even needing discussion still sits oddly with me, although maybe that's just because I thought Papers Please walked all over both of them and was hanging by a thread the whole time in discussions.

That said, this is a pretty cynical poll. Telling people they like something too much is a little strange.

MrT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

Haha it's amazing that Gone Home is winning this. The only right answer is Infinite.

My favorite game this year.

Lets turn this around, make it positive :) Sooty, what was your favorite game this year? Or maybe just one you really enjoyed?

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By jsnyder82

I hate the term "overrated", and I hate that these threads always turn into "You're an idiot for liking this game, and here's why".

I totally understand if you like Gone Home. Really, I do. But honestly, for me, the story did nothing for me. I only progressed through the game because I was absolutely positive something was around the corner, waiting to suck me into the game. But the only time I did get sucked in, turned out to be the very end of the game. And I mean, the very end. Not the last 3rd of the game. I mean the final thing you discover. And then as soon as I was somewhat intrigued, game over.

I paid 10 bucks for that game, and that was the sale price. If the story spoke to you at all, I could understand such a short game being totally worth the 20 bucks. But it just wasn't for me.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

I'm usually pretty good at not liking a game but being able to "get it" and pass by knowing it's just not my thing. But I still look at people praising Gone Home and wonder if we played the same game. Cool little title, but the pretentious criticism that game gets just blows my mind. Brothers is also just janky.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#218  Edited By Tarsier

fuk wind jammers im sick of this horse sh*t

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I find the term overrated... overrated. At some point people from the internet will learn to expand their vocabulary beyond the following terms, idioms, and metaphors.

• Overated
  • Entitled
  • Slap in the face
  • Mixed bag
Vic2point0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA 5, hands down. Only true good thing about it was the graphics/presentation. Story was a mess and gameplay was seriously lacking.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Necro'd in time to say the Superbowl?

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Gone Home for me is just something I can't understand why people hold this game as a shining beacon of hope for gaming. It was more of an interactive story and less of a video game. Something that I would put more into the category of Dear Esther and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs where the game holds your hand the entire time and you're supposed to get sucked into the "story" and "narrative". I don't think this is everyone's cup of tea and it certainly wasn't mine. In my opinion, the writing was cheesy along with the acting and it just didn't really feel real or interesting to me. Maybe people just really get off to angsty lesbian teenagers?

Runner up: Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty Ghosts

Man, what a bunch of garbage series these two have turned into... It's more sad to me though to see BF get praise even though it is a broken infuriating mess of a game online. CoD already has enough haters and for the most part, I can kind of agree with them, especially with the PC launch of Ghosts.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#224  Edited By Justin258

@tyrrael said:

The Last of Us. I'm not just saying this because it's popular, either. The story was terrible, and that's the main reason I wanted to play it. I can tolerate a bad story if the gameplay is amazing, but I normally don't force myself to suffer through bad gameplay just for a good story. All in all, it seems that if the half of the game that is praised the most is horrendous, I'd say that constitutes being overrated, especially since most people seem to agree that the gameplay was the weaker of the two, even if it wasn't flat out abysmal. I can already tell I've pissed some people off, even though that wasn't my intention. Oh well. Bring the hate, if that's what you feel you need to do.

I also answered The Last of Us but I liked its story. What did you dislike about it?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously opinions, but as someone that loves The Last of Us' gameplay, I can't understand the opposite opinion. Anyways, as for the ones listed, while I thought it was somewhat neat and liked it to an extent, I'd say from the ones I played, it's Brother's. For me, it pretty much went like this "Yeah, that was good, but um... Eh, what's next?" I played it relatively recently on the PS3 since it was free, but I also had a lot of other stuff on my mind, like how I had just gotten a PS4, and how I had to work later that day.

It's not a game that stayed with me, though some of it (aside from the deaths) seemed somewhat relatable. I mean, I have red hair and am a younger brother, while my brothers are two years older and have brown hair; that aspect had me thinking even if it is minor. This being said, while I say most overrated, I don't necessarily mean that it deserved lower scores and less praise, I just mean that it's the game that rated high last year that didn't really do much for me personally.

Furthermore, does the game on PS3 look way worse than the 360 version? Someone on their top ten list said, visually, the game is the best looking Xbox 360 game ever, and playing the PS3 version looked fair, but hardly good.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtcknight: Honestly, every time I have heard people dislike The Last of Us' gameplay, it was because they couldn't grasp how to play it well, and disliked the way some of it was done as if it shouldn't have been made that way, when it's perfectly suitable for what needs to be done. Oh, and what do you mean? If you shoot someone in the head, they die right then and there... Furthermore, the characters won't shoot at the others unless you're caught, which is what sounds like what happened when you took the clicker out.

I'm assuming this was around the time when you just got out of the chapel area, and/or near the school. I don't mind that you dislike the game, it's just that I haven't really seen anyone argue what's truly bad about the game. Opinions of how it feels is fine, but then someone always brings it up in a way that makes it seem like it's worse merely because they're not doing it correctly, or blaming the game when it's not actually the games fault.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally feel like The Last of Us is one of the best PLAYING games I've played the entire generation. Like top 5, easy. The thrill, suspense, viseral action, drama, the way every single time I sat down to play it completely and utterly sucked me in and I sat there on the edge of my seat, gripping the dual shock 3 tightly as I tried to silently take my enemies down one by one, knowing that at any moment the shit would hit the fan and all hell would break loose.

What an experience.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioshock for me. At first I praised it, then as a trudged through it and looked back, I realized how PLAIN it felt.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Crysack

Bioshock, GTA V, Gone Home and TLoU are all vastly over-rated. TLoU gets a pass because I can recognise that the main things that bothered me about it were the performance/graphical downfalls, which can only be blamed on the technical limitations of the PS3. Bioshock was an utter yawn-fest to play. I'll give it props for the art design but the game really boils down to a linear shooter with bullet-sponge enemies and largely uninteresting vigours. I enjoyed GTA V for about the first half, but the poor gameplay, awful frame-rate and pretty unsatisfying storyline killed it for me. As for Gone Home, I just don't understand the hype at all. I get that everyone's excited about narrative playing a greater role in video-games over gameplay, but I don't believe that the quality of writing in Gone Home comes even close to justifying its focus on narrative - let alone 9s, 10s and outright GotYs from some publications.

SongWriter1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tomb Raider!

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this would be a lock for Bioshock, but looking at the list Gone Home and Brothers have to enter the overrated thunderdome with BS Infinite and we'll see who emerges...

It's Bioshock Infinite. It's not a good game that people have praised so often that it is considered overrated. It's a mediocre game that people have mistaken for great on the strength of its visuals and pedigree.