2014 One of the Best Years for TV in This Decade?

Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By Eli

I just wanted us to sit back and appreciate how good TV has been so far this year. For the previous couple years, I was pretty much despising all that came on because it seemed TV stations were trying to appease the lowest common denominator with nothing innovative or clever. I feel 2014 has been an indicator of change, and with that, I want to recognize ten TV shows that premiered this year I personally enjoy. I have put them in alphabetical order with no numerical rankings. Check them out:

BoJack Horseman

Broad City

Fargo

Halt and Catch Fire

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Late Night with Seth Meyers

Review

Silicon Valley

The Strain

True Detective

With that, what are some of your favorite new TV series'?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thatpinguino  Staff

Don't forget Nathan for You and the Knick! Also this was the best year of Game of Thrones and the end of True Blood.

Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't forget Nathan for You and the Knick! Also this was the best year of Game of Thrones and the end of True Blood.

I don't think I've seen the first two you mentioned, actually. And I was trying to stick with shows that piloted this year, but thanks for sharing anyway!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thatpinguino  Staff

@eli: The Knick is a Cinemax show directed by Steven Soderbergh and staring Clive Owen. Its about a hospital in the year 1900 and the mess that was medicine at that time. Nathan for You is in its second season on Comedy Central, but this year was a big step forward.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I actually haven't watched any TV released this year.

I mean Brooklyn 99 is probably my favorite comedy ever made but that was technically last year :)

Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Eli

@eli: The Knick is a Cinemax show directed by Steven Soderbergh and staring Clive Owen. Its about a hospital in the year 1900 and the mess that was medicine at that time.

Wow, that sounds really interesting. I'll check that one out.

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Leftovers started out really mediocre but is now my favorite show currently on. It has that Lost mysteriousness, less actiony tho but better made.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dating naked you guys, that is some high art right there.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@eli: I don't really agree with you that TV has been bad the last couple years.

Breaking Bad started in 2008

Mad Men - 2007

Parks and Recreation - 2009

How I met Your Mother - 2005

Game of Thrones - 2011

House of Cards - 2013

Justified - 2010

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - 2005

Hell on Wheels - 2011

Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Eli

@asurastrike said:

@eli: I don't really agree with you that TV has been bad the last couple years.

Breaking Bad started in 2008

Mad Men - 2007

Parks and Recreation - 2009

How I met Your Mother - 2005

Game of Thrones - 2011

House of Cards - 2013

Justified - 2010

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - 2005

Hell on Wheels - 2011

Well, I specifically said this decade. So...anything between 2005-2010 doesn't necessarily apply. That and I love Breaking Bad, It's Always Sunny and House of Cards. If I was naming exceptional seasons in 2014, I certainly would have included House of Cards Season 2.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Nathan for You is brilliant.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The only current show I'm interested in is Rick and Morty.

edit: Oh, also, I really like Bob's Burgers. Bob's Burgers reminds me a lot of golden era Simpsons episodes. I get a sense of liberal working class values that are more responses to other people's judgy horseshit than spreading their own. That episode with the 'everyone is a dork for their own thing' conclusion almost made me start bawling because it's one of the best promotions of intellectual diversity I've had the pleasure of seeing. Plus, Bob is maybe the best television dad. If I had a father I would hope he was like Bob Belcher.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You forgot Hannibal. Which is probably the best thing I've seen on tv since Breaking Bad

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

The only current show I'm interested in is Rick and Morty.

This.

The only show in the OP I've even heard of is Bojack Horseman, which just came out and I thought the first two episodes where absolutely terrible, does it get better?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By cornbredx

The Quest started this year.

It's alright. I like "reality competition" shows like The Amazing Race or The Mole as I think they can be fun for the most part. It's the only reality show type that I care for. It helps that the players seem like cool people as well.

Edit: I don't think that I'd say there was anything special about this year for TV, though. As a whole. It's alright. TV shows are definitely getting better in general. Slowly. Very slowly.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Fargo was amazing, and I only watched the first episode of sillicon valley, but that was great too. Everything else you listed is meh. Personally I think 2007 was the real starting point with the current golden age of tv (specifically cable tv). Mad Men changed everything.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You forgot Hannibal. Which is probably the best thing I've seen on tv since Breaking Bad

Except that it came out in 2013, though I agree entirely with your statement.

jstaunton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought Silicon Valley was average, personally. I also don't get Review.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Man oh man oh man have TV and myself parted ways. I can't stand most of these shows! At least Seinfeld is still on :D

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zeik

I just can't bring myself to care about weekly television anymore. If I watch any network television anymore it's through Netflix, where I can binge on it at my leisure, and I don't have to worry about it getting cancelled halfway through. I think Lost was the last time I still cared enough to do that.

It's not even that I hate what's on TV (although I don't think I've watched a single one of those shows), I just think I'm done with traditional TV viewing.