2015 is pretty good, but 2016 is going to be INSANE.

• 91 results
Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

The recent delay of Persona 5 got me thinking. 2016 could be the best year ever in games (I mean, nostalgia for years like 1998 aside - just in terms of density of huge releases).

Here's a taste of what's to come:

• XCOM 2 (Feb)
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Feb)
  • Mirror's Edge: Catalyst (Feb)
  • Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness (Feb)
  • The Division (March)
  • Uncharted 4 (March)
  • Street Fighter V (March)
  • Quantum Break (April)
  • Dark Souls III (April)
  • Doom
  • Crackdown 3
  • Gears of War 4
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • Persona 5
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Dishonoured 2
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • The Last Guardian

... and that's just some of the stuff that we already know about, and not even including VR.

What the hell man, what the hell.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You forgot Ratchet and Clank.

Everyone forgets Ratchet and Clank.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm interested in none of those games really and it makes me sad. Dishonoured 2 is probably something I'll play, but I'm not sure I trust Bethesda to let Arkane do what they want with it after they saw how the first game sold well. I'd also be quite excited for Mirror's Edge 2 but again I just don't trust EA, and I definitely already said I was never gonna give them money again. Lol.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: Man, that is kinda sad. Not even stuff like XCOM and Persona that are pretty much sure bets to be good?

@teddie:Put it in there just for you : P

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I feel like people say this EVERY year, also I expect a lot of on that list ot get delayed past 2016.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@selfconfessedcynic: Do we know for sure that Horizon Zero Dawn, Halo Wars 2 or FF15 will be next year? I haven't heard anything about release dates or periods for them and I sort of see them being 2017 games. Mass Effect is Q3/4 2016 too so that could easily end up in 2017.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa said:

I feel like people say this EVERY year, also I expect a lot of on that list ot get delayed past 2016.

The second half of the year always has slips. I mean, I essentially put The Last Guardian on that list as a joke.

However, the first half of the year - the stuff that's confirmed alone - is pretty crazy.

I will say, however, that having every coming year be potentially the best year ever is a pretty good problem to have.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish said:

@selfconfessedcynic: Do we know for sure that Horizon Zero Dawn, Halo Wars 2 or FF15 will be next year? I haven't heard anything about release dates or periods for them and I sort of see them being 2017 games. Mass Effect is Q3/4 2016 too so that could easily end up in 2017.

Horizon and FFXV are readily being advertised as 2016 (well, I'm certain in the first case - pretty sure in the second) - Halo Wars 2 I just put on there cos Wiki said it was due next year (I was surprised myself, but hey).

That said - 2015 proved that this shit is never certain and is always fluid. But the potential man. The potential.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@selfconfessedcynic: Cool. Hopefully Horizon gets out next year. They've been working on that for some time now behind closed doors so I wouldn't be surprised if it's well on it's way.

Also The Division will get delayed to 2017, you just watch. That game was originally set for 2014!

supermulletman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks good, but I don't think its gonna beat this year. Between MGSV, Bloodborne and The Withcer 3 this is one of the best years of gaming in a long time. On the other hand i'm pretty fucking hyped for XCOM2.

I refuse to believe The Last Guardian is coming out.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BladedEdge

I was just about to come in here and say "Yah but unlike 2015, it won't really be a good year for rpgs...

But then this was where I first learned of the P5 delay (boo, but not unexpected) so there is that and also..

Mass Effect is an rpg..sorta.So is FF15...sorta? Well then I guess that's 3 major releases. If we put Pillars of Eternity in the 'big rpgs' category, that matches the number we got in 2015.

And we might get Danganronpa 3 this year (who knows) and we are almost certain to get the (please be) finale to the 999/ZLR series in the summer..but those are Visual Novels/puzzle games huh?

Oh well. What we will get in 2016 is the two big pieces of DLC for the witcher 3, which will I'd assume mark the "welp, time to NG+" for many people, including myself. And the inevitable. "Well I beat FO4 as much I could, its been a good 9 months, time to do the 'lets add all the mods/dlc' dance and play a completely different game!.

And of course I am sure there will be something or other that catches my eye on the Vita, aside from the above mentioned VNs, and obvious no I did not mean it that way 'boobs, buy because boobs!' games released.

Oh and PC games get released constantly! Isn't there a Torment game coming at some point? I'd shout out age of decadence but..coming out in less then a month (amazingly) We are going to get at least a half dozen majorish Visual Novel released in 2016(I'd assume) thanks to the sudden 'wait, these sell on steam/sen..something group dedicated to bringing some of the better (i.e. for the story, not the sex) ones out in English via multiple kickstarters. (No idea the names, just know they exist). oh and obviously, shout out the X-com too. And the 2017-replay of Long war version 2.0 I am sure will be fantastic.

You know what? My initial thought that next year was going to be a dry peek for my kinda games is suddenly completely over turned. Next years gonna be lots of fun. Best year ever? Eh, this year's gonna be hard to top unless FO4 is awful (especially given, as I said, i expect it and the witcher 3 to make up a good portion of what I play next year too in NG+ fashion. ) But given 2014..At least its on track to be way better baring some other "man this ended on a downer' (anger fans, not the games) stuff.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Oh shit, February :o

I loved all the predecessors to the first 3 games on that list.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: Man, that is kinda sad. Not even stuff like XCOM and Persona that are pretty much sure bets to be good?

I found the xcom remake to be exceptionally stale and I can't stand JRPGs so nej. It is sad. All said though those are all big budget 'hollywood' games, I haven't been enjoying them for years aside for the occasional one - MGS V this year. I'm sure there'll be some smaller stuff that I'll find and enjoy and it'll be good times. haha.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Possibly, There are a ton of big names in there, but I am not sure if they will make a big splash.
I expect quite of them to just be oke. I have very little hope for the last guardian at this time. Some others might be oke but I think they are a bit stale unless a ton is done to them. Doom, Gears, Halo, Dishonoured and the division is also very questionable.
MAss effect and Zero dawn having the potential to be new and exciting, but I feel there hasn't been enough of that out there to make any claim if those will turn out oke. (not saying they will, they are a huge gamble at the moment.)

We'll see, but I doubt it will thrump my personal appreciation for 2015.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Eh... the only thing on that list that is a absolutely YES from me is Final Fantasy XV. Street Fighter V and Doom are in the "Maybe" category for me right now. Everything else... eh.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Half of those will be delayed, the other half will be buggy messes.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be starting my medical placement for the next 3 years next year, so I have no idea how that will impact be in terms of actually having time to play all this.
Fortunately all I am really looking forward to Persona 5 and Dishonored 2 (and maybe Deus Ex, but it'll be a bit of a wait and see approach on that one). I used to be a big Dark Souls guy, but for now that ship has sailed. Maybe I'll return to it one day, maybe not. I'm just a bit tired of it right now.

That's not even counting my back-log. Games I really want to finally play all the way through include DDS1+2 and Silent Hill 4, as well as messing around with Diablo 3 some more. Games that sit on my shelf and just stare at me include Nier and Resonance of Fate, both of which I really want to give a go. There's also that FFXII HD rerelease, which may take away my largest barrier to fully enjoying it, which is the license board system present in the original.
Oh, and God Hand, can't forget that.
Or Danganronpa.
The struggle is real.

Also, don't forget Overwatch. That's also coming out, probably.

Also, am I the only one that struggles to get excited over any new MP game anymore? I have my two online games that I am semi-okay at (TF2 and LoL), and those are usually my go-to games if I just feel like dicking around online against others. When I was younger, I didn't quite understand what people meant by just not having the time to get skilled at a new MP games anymore, but now I totally get it.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The annual "Next year is going to be the greatest gaming year ever!" thread came a bit early this year.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last Guardian...

I'll believe it when I see it. At this point, I'm more excited for Ratchet & Clank. Provided it's a proper, full length Ratchet & Clank game and not another Into the Nexus or Quest for Booty.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

This year is better than that list right now.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No way in hell is next year better than this year, even assuming everything comes out.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rethla

@bladededge:The first Witcher 3 DLC will hit this year and it remains to see how big they will be.

There are alot of potential in that list but it remains to see if Bioware, SquareEnix, ID etc. can still deliver something. Their last entries has been kinda lackluster but their long time history is unmatched.

Also i wish Naughty Dog would stop wasting their talent on Unchartered, thats the biggest letdown last generation and it will probably continue to be. Its good games but its still the worst series from that studio.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of volume of games, sure. But it's hard to top this year's back to back of amazing RPGs and some of my most anticipated games for a very long time. Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Phantom Pain. What a year.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That list doesn't really excite me. The two most exciting games on that list (Horizon and Last Guardian) almost certainly won't make next year either.

This year thankfully has been a huge improvement from the last, where I think I only bought 1 AAA title all year. With Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3 still to come, and MGS:V being (probably) one of the best games ever made, this year still has the potential to be one of the best years for gaming ever. I didn't even get to play The Witcher 3, and Bloodborne was fresher and more interesting than DSIII will be.

LightBuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WE STILL NEED RELEASE DATE FOR NO MAN'S SKY!

That game is going to be super epic.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think anything from that list can beat MGS V, Fallout 4 and Witcher 3. This has been a hell of a year for the big titles.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I dunno, every big game this year has delivered and we still have a bunch coming. 2015 is a special year. We're talking '07 or '98 here.

Taesoawful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Disappointed in the total lack of mentioning Fire Emblem. There's 3 games coming out early next year.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa said:

Agreed. Horizon: Zero Dawn is my most anticipated of that list (but man, what a bad title) and I really see it ending up in 2017. Stuff like Dishonored 2, Crackdown, Mass Effect and FFXV might very well join it.

But seriously, where the frack is No Man's Sky.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2015 smokes that list:/

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't know, this year is pretty damn amazing. Witcher 3, MGSV, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, and all of the smaller games.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yeah that's some good shit. This generation's really starting to pick up.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

The Witness should be added to that list - Jan 26.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Wacomole

@chilibean_3 said:

The annual "Next year is going to be the greatest gaming year ever!" thread came a bit early this year.

It's usually hot on the heels of the annual "Is there ANYTHING good coming out this fall. It's all getting pushed to next year" thread

Anyway, call me a "dirty casual" but I'm reaaally looking forward to Uncharted 4 next year.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It will take a hell of a game in 2016 to take down 2015 for me, I thought it was a done deal with The Witcher 3 and here comes MGSV just completely blowing it all out the water for me, if Halo 5 ends up being good I just don't think 2016 even has a chance.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By spankingaddict

2015 will be unbeatable if Fallout 4 is as good as 3 ..

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ye... that's still not even close to 2015 unless everything else coming out this year fails drastically at meeting expectations.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spankingaddict said:

I think that's a big part of it. 2015 vs 2016's potential really depends on how you feel about Fallout and Just Cause.

For me, FFXV and Persona 5 are far more interesting - same with Ace Attorney 6. But yeah, it depends what kind of games you like.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ninnanuam

I'm just happy there is some new shit happening and it looks like the deluge of new AAA games in 2015 will roll right into 2016 with barely a break for January doldrums, Feb and March look tight. Even Summer is getting a big release in Persona.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa said:

They do. Half of 2014 got delayed into 2015, and half of 2015 got delayed into 2016. And sure enough, half of 2016 is gonna get delayed into 2017. I was in the crowd of people that thought 2015 was going to be something special... but I think this has been one of the most boring years for games in awhile, for me at least.

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that's a pretty low bar to set for how good a video game can be

ScottishDafty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: Haha! I've been saying the same about EA for years, due to my hatred of FIFA & It's scripted online play, but I still buy some of their games. I'm boycotting FIFA this year. I prefer PES anyway.

ScottishDafty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gears 4, Quantum Break, Mirrors edge & Mass effect are what I'm most looking forward to from that list. Scalebound, you missed that out.

Also Uncharted & Horizon for when I finally get around to buying a PS4.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I guess it's not quite safe to assume that Zelda for Wii U will be out next year, but how great would that be?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. 2015 might be the best year for games since the 2007 and it's not over. 2016 looks pretty good, but there are so many unknowns.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

As an anniversary year for Resident Evil, I'm also crossing my fingers for something exciting... at least more exciting than this.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted is pretty much the only thing on the list that I'm sure will be amazing. Have some high hopes for some others, but it looks like a step down from 2015.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Might as well add Star Fox Zero to that list. At least with that game being delayed, it should get patched out to be a better title than what was shown at E3.

I'll say this, 2016 is probably gonna be the greatest year for the PS4 because by golly there are some monster exclusives coming to that platform. Uncharted 4, Street Fighter 5, The Last Guardian, Persona 5 (Niche Title), Ratchet and Clank and Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Everyone's been saying that 2015 has been a fantastic year in gaming, and I don't really understand why.

I guess the enthusiasm this year has been centred on a small handful of titles that I am aggressively indifferent towards - I don't like the Bloodborne/Souls games, I've never played Metal Gear, and I don't have a WiiU so I can't play Super Mario Maker. I'm sure I would love the hell out of The Witcher 3, but I still need to play the second game first. AAA aside, none of this year's "indie darlings", like Life is Strange and Her Story, haven't interested me at all. The only new games I can remember playing and enjoying this year have been Cities Skylines, Hand of Fate, and Magic Duels (there's also Majora's Mask on 3DS, but that doesn't count as a 2015 game). Are people overrating 2015, or am I just a curmudgeon who is grumpy about games? Of course my tone will probably be different once Fallout 4 comes out, as I'm going to play the absolute shit out of that.

Cynicism aside, there are plenty of 2016 titles that I am very excited for. XCOM is one of my favourite games of the past five years, and I have very recently played through Dishonored for a second time and found I enjoyed it way more than I did on my first time through, so I'm definitely going to be playing both of those. I'm also very curious about the new Mass Effect game and The Division. Hopefully all the games I'm excited for don't get pushed back, as has so frequently been the case in recent years; last year in particular was a complete dull thud for me, with the exception of South Park and Far Cry 4.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

As an anniversary year for Resident Evil, I'm also crossing my fingers for something exciting... at least more exciting than this.

To be fair it's not like RE's first anniversary received anything notary. I mean what was even released in 2006 RE speaking? RE4's Wii port?